2018-2019 Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I remember correctly from browsing through last year's thread, merit scholarships are sent out by the Northwestern Office of Admissions and need-based financial need is given by Chicago Financial Aid Office.

This is supported by NW's website which says " Applicants to the MD program at the Feinberg School of Medicine may be eligible for merit scholarships through the Admissions Office and/or need-based grant funding through the Chicago Office of Financial Aid."
Also "The Office of Admissions will send out notifications of merit scholarships in mid to late March. The Chicago Financial Aid Office will send out award notices showing eligibility for need based grant funds and student loans on a rolling basis in mid-March."

So hoping this means merit scholarships are yet to come (fingers crossed)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't submit all the financial info they asked for by March 1st. Is it possible to still get merit-aid?

If I remember correctly from browsing through last year's thread, merit scholarships are sent out by the Northwestern Office of Admissions and need-based financial need is given by Chicago Financial Aid Office.

This is supported by NW's website which says " Applicants to the MD program at the Feinberg School of Medicine may be eligible for merit scholarships through the Admissions Office and/or need-based grant funding through the Chicago Office of Financial Aid."
Also "The Office of Admissions will send out notifications of merit scholarships in mid to late March. The Chicago Financial Aid Office will send out award notices showing eligibility for need based grant funds and student loans on a rolling basis in mid-March."

So hoping this means merit scholarships are yet to come (fingers crossed)

They may be decided by different offices but I think in the end we see it all in Caesar bc both merit and grants contribute to the fin aid package

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone explicitly received a merit-based scholarship from the admissions office? If not, I'm gonna guess that the scholarships we see on CAESAR are all need-based, which would make sense because they usually notify, congratulate, and ask you to accept merit-based scholarships rather than subtly adding it to your financial aid award.

Has anyone explicitly received a merit-based scholarship from the admissions office? If not, I'm gonna guess that the scholarships we see on CAESAR are all need-based, which would make sense because they usually notify, congratulate, and ask you to accept merit-based scholarships rather than subtly adding it to your financial aid award.
Haven’t gotten an email from the admissions office, but I do have a scholarship indicated on my fin aid history.

Haven’t gotten an email from the admissions office, but I do have a scholarship indicated on my fin aid history.
Under "Financial Aid Description" does it say "Medical School Scholarship" or something else?

2017-2018 Feinberg School of Medicine (Northwestern)

This is the page I was talking about. Seems some applicants got email from admissions office specifically stating they received a "merit scholarship".

I think the issue is that no one has heard anything officially from the school yet. We probably weren’t even supposed to find the scholarship/grant stuff on the website yet either, considering it’s only available on one tab. Won’t know anything for sure until they reach out to us, hopefully it’s soon!

I don’t qualify for need based aid/did not complete all aid requirements to apply for need based aid

Reactions: 1 users
is anyone's not showing up yet? it says inquiry access denied and I have nothing in my financial aid history. I submitted all required materials by march 1!

Members don't see this ad :)
I still haven't been able to activate my NetID using the link they gave. Anyone have any tips with that?

I still haven't been able to activate my NetID using the link they gave. Anyone have any tips with that?
When I first got my NetID and set it up, it didn’t work for the first day or two. Then after it started working, probably took some time for the system to update.

is anyone's not showing up yet? it says inquiry access denied and I have nothing in my financial aid history. I submitted all required materials by march 1!
They did say that they're doing financial aid on a rolling basis. I'm hoping need-based aid is still in the works bc all I see is a scholarship in there for now. :dead:

Anyone accepted after March 1st receive any grants or scholarships yet?

Do you mind me asking when you got accepted and when you interviewed? I didn’t know they have been accepting people in March

Do you mind me asking when you got accepted and when you interviewed? I didn’t know they have been accepting people in March

I interviewed at the beginning/middle of January and got accepted on March 8th. But do not have any aid/scholarships in my CAESAR yet.

And you have a scholarship on the CAESAR website?
Correct. They did say that they are releasing financial aid info on a rolling basis so it’s possible that people who have nothing under their financial aid info might get something, but my guess is if you do have anything listed under financial aid then that is your total aid package you have been awarded. Unfortunately, not everyone receives scholarships or grants either so if someone doesn’t have anything listed there is defibitely a possibility you weren’t awarded anything

Edit* I’m basing this off the fact that I’ve had direct message conversations with 5 people on here now and we all have received varying amounts of scholarship (merit based) and grant (need based) awards

Correct. They did say that they are releasing financial aid info on a rolling basis so it’s possible that people who have nothing under their financial aid info might get something, but my guess is if you do have anything listed under financial aid then that is your total aid package you have been awarded. Unfortunately, not everyone receives scholarships or grants either so if someone doesn’t have anything listed there is defibitely a possibility you weren’t awarded anything

Edit* I’m basing this off the fact that I’ve had direct message conversations with 5 people on here now and we all have received varying amounts of scholarship (merit based) and grant (need based) awards
Wait so you DIDNT apply for need-based aid but you have a grant on Caesar?!

No, they have a scholarship on CAESAR, which indicates that it’s the merit scholarship.
But he/she says “we have all received varying amounts of scholarship and grant awards” which I read to mean as creightonstudent101 having grant money on Caesar, would love if they could confirm or deny my interpretation though.

But he/she says “we have all received varying amounts of scholarship and grant awards” which I read to mean as creightonstudent101 having grant money on Caesar, would love if they could confirm or deny my interpretation though.
I only have a scholarship, no grant. Some of the people I talked to had only a grant & no scholarship and some people had both a scholarship & a grant. Hope this helps! Again, I could be wrong and it is definitely possible people without any aid listed right now might receive some, but this is just how its looking to me. It would be nice if I was wrong though because while I am super grateful for the scholarship, it is pretty small, so I don't think I can afford to go here unfortunately :(

Reactions: 3 users
Just got an email with a merit award. I don’t think they are all released at the same time though. Good luck guys! Hope to meet you in your white coats :)

Reactions: 2 users
Also got the merit email, looks like it’s the same scholarship I saw on CAESAR yesterday.

It's real! Just got the email for the merit scholarship. Same number as I saw on CAESAR.

note: the email only mentioned merit—no grant info

Just got the aid package on CAESAR and gonna withdraw from here next week.

Got merit scholarship but didn't send in all my info for financial aid.

Does anybody know what “other student resources” means on Caesar report? Is that like living expenses that we are responsible for paying outside of grants and loans? Or is it provided by FSM?

Feinberg please don't let me down today

Does anybody know what “other student resources” means on Caesar report? Is that like living expenses that we are responsible for paying outside of grants and loans? Or is it provided by FSM?

Yeah that’s basically the parent/student expected contribution, not provided by FSM

Also received merit scholarship, but did not check CAESAR yesterday, so cant comment if I had anything yesterday.

Welp that was uneventful
I’m really disappointed in how long I’ve had to wait for an answer from them. I was told I would hear a decision by mid February and to not hear anything until possibly end of March/early April is absolutely ridiculous

Reactions: 4 users
I think everyone should withdraw their apps in protest! I'll hang in there though just to keep you guys/gals posted on the ridiculousness

Reactions: 13 users
Anyone else disappointed with their fin aid offer? I’m having trouble rationalizing taking out ~250k in loans to pay for Feinberg when my state school will leave me with ~100k in loans. It was my top choice going into the app process. :( So sad.

Already planned out my second look trip and all, but now I feel like it’ll just make me depressed being there knowing I won’t be able to afford a Feinberg MD. I know Dr. Kundu said to reach out if finances are holding you back. Have y’all heard of anyone who’s had luck negotiating for more $$$? Should I ask to set up a meeting at second look? I’m desperate!!!

edit: I sent a letter explaining a few of my other offers before fin aid decisions came out so I already kinda bargained

Reactions: 6 users
If we didn’t get merit aid notification today and were submitted by March 1 should I assume I’m getting no merit aid?

It's ridiculous how long this school is taking to release some of their decisions.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else disappointed with their fin aid offer? I’m having trouble rationalizing taking out ~250k in loans to pay for Feinberg when my state school will leave me with ~100k in loans. It was my top choice going into the app process. :( So sad.

Already planned out my second look trip and all, but now I feel like it’ll just make me depressed being there knowing I won’t be able to afford a Feinberg MD. I know Dr. Kundu said to reach out if finances are holding you back. Have y’all heard of anyone who’s had luck negotiating for more $$$? Should I ask to set up a meeting at second look? I’m desperate!!!

edit: I sent a letter explaining a few of my other offers before fin aid decisions came out so I already kinda bargained
If you already talked with them I'm doubtful more would help but it also couldn't hurt. Also 100k at state school>250k anywhere else IMO.

Reactions: 2 users

Not sure if I got more money than I would’ve otherwise, but I got full tuition after telling them about another full tuition scholarship. Will probably withdraw sometime next week due to COA elsewhere, perhaps they’ll have more money for you after things have settled. I would definitely email explaining your situation. Worst they can say is no.

Last edited:
I'm going to call the fin aid office about this next week, but can we apply for a larger Grad plus loan amount than what is shown? My "other student resources" is around $10k, but that's a one time thing. That's just savings I had, and I didn't realize they would just subtract that from from fin aid package. I'm not trying to use all of my cash! Also, I hope they don't factor that one time amount into all future loan amounts...

Does anyone who put down MD/MPH or other dual degree program know if the financial aid package on Caesar includes the aid for the additional degree?

Has anyone from February interviews heard back except the delayed decision email?