2018-2019 Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Given the distinctive educational philosophy and integrated curriculum at FSM, describe how your personal characteristics and learning style would fit the institution.(Limit your response to 200 words)

2. Describe the steps you take to reduce your personal stress when confronted with difficult situations.(Limit your response to 200 words)

3. Feinberg's mission is to impact the practice of medicine through discovery and education. With consideration of FSM's goal to train future leaders in medicine, please describe your career plans and goals. Be as specific as your current thinking will allow.(Limit your response to 200 words)

4. (if applicable): If you have (or expect to have) a year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe your activities and/or plans. For REAPPLICANTS: Please also address steps taken to improve your application for medical school.(Limit your response to 200 words)

5.Everyone has their own narrative. Please provide more detail about your selections above and how you would enrich the Northwestern community.(Limit your response to 200 words)

MSTP

Why did you choose your undergraduate major? How does the subject appeal to you? (200 W)

Name a scientific paper that you have read recently that had a strong impact on you and describe what impact it had. (200 W)

Discuss a current unanswered question in biomedical research that you find particularly interesting and what research you would like to see done to address it. (200 W)

What is the most gratifying research experience you have had to date and why? What was the greatest obstacle you had to overcome in research and how did you overcome it? (200 W)

Everyone has their own narrative. Please provide more detail about your selections above and how you would enrich the Northwestern community. (200 W)

How do you envision your career after you complete your training, including residency and fellowship? What aspects of your life and career will be most satisfying? What frustrations can you envision in your future career, and how do you hope to handle them? (200 W)

Please describe your current research interest as you plan your research training. (200 W)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Secondary received.

1. Given the distinctive educational philosophy and integrated curriculum at FSM, describe how your personal characteristics and learning style would fit the institution.(Limit your response to 200 words)

2. Describe the steps you take to reduce your personal stress when confronted with difficult situations.(Limit your response to 200 words)

3. Feinberg's mission is to impact the practice of medicine through discovery and education. With consideration of FSM's goal to train future leaders in medicine, please describe your career plans and goals. Be as specific as your current thinking will allow.(Limit your response to 200 words)

4. (if applicable): If you have (or expect to have) a year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe your activities and/or plans. For REAPPLICANTS: Please also address steps taken to improve your application for medical school.(Limit your response to 200 words)

5.Everyone has their own narrative. Please provide more detail about your selections above and how you would enrich the Northwestern community.(Limit your response to 200 words)

There are other prompts that seem to be dual-degree specific.

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received this morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the 5th secondary prompt (Diversity/narrative), since they ask "provide more detail about your selections above", do we necessarily only have to focus on those five factors that are listed in the secondary (gender, social background, sexual background, etc)? My diversity essay really has nothing to do with any of those things because I have fortunately had a relatively standard, boring upbringing and background.

For the 5th secondary prompt (Diversity/narrative), since they ask "provide more detail about your selections above", do we necessarily only have to focus on those five factors that are listed in the secondary (gender, social background, sexual background, etc)? My diversity essay really has nothing to do with any of those things because I have fortunately had a relatively standard, boring upbringing and background.

I put my diversity factor into the “other” box and then wrote about it

I put my diversity factor into the “other” box and then wrote about it

Just as clarification, you checked the "Other" box under the social background category right? And your diversity essay wasn't really about the previous five categories? Lmao sorry for my typical premed neuroticism, I just wana make sure I'm approaching this prompt correctly...

Has anyone else submitted the secondary but on the status screen the supplemental received box is still not checked?

Reactions: 1 users
Just as clarification, you checked the "Other" box under the social background category right? And your diversity essay wasn't really about the previous five categories? Lmao sorry for my typical premed neuroticism, I just wana make sure I'm approaching this prompt correctly...

lol yup

Submitted the secondary but haven't gotten any sign of a confirmation. Anyone else?

Reactions: 1 user
Same, secondary is submitted but their portal page isn't showing that it is. Oh well, it'll sort itself out

Does anyone know if they screen? It doesn't seem like they do based on their rather ambiguously-worded site, but I'm still waiting on a secondary.

Does anyone know if they screen? It doesn't seem like they do based on their rather ambiguously-worded site, but I'm still waiting on a secondary.

MSAR says that the secondary goes out to all applicants, and somewhere on the website specifies verified applicants

MSAR says that the secondary goes out to all applicants, and somewhere on the website specifies verified applicants
Well, I'm definitely verified, so I guess I just need to work on my patience! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
For prompt 2 is it bad to say that when confronted with difficult situations I utilize my support system to vent/talk through the issue right away. Then I go on to work through it by accepting the things I can't control and working to fix the things I can? That's 100% honestly how I approach almost everything but I don't want to sound like I react by whining to others, but emotionally it helps to center me. I normally give myself 15 minutes to be upset about something and then after that I move on to doing something about it.

For prompt 2 is it bad to say that when confronted with difficult situations I utilize my support system to vent/talk through the issue right away. Then I go on to work through it by accepting the things I can't control and working to fix the things I can? That's 100% honestly how I approach almost everything but I don't want to sound like I react by whining to others, but emotionally it helps to center me. I normally give myself 15 minutes to be upset about something and then after that I move on to doing something about it.

I really like this, I said something similar.

Anybody know what exactly the difference is between "primary review" and "holistic review" ?

Secondary marked as received today and in primary review

Is anyone else having problems with their secondary saying it hasn't been submitted? I submitted and paid yesterday and I have not received any confirmation emails and the portal says they haven't yet received my secondary :(

Just received the secondary. Excellent timing, as I was starting to get very anxious about why I hadn't received it yet!

EDIT: I spoke too soon, I can't log into their secondary portal :p

Last edited:
Just got the secondary. Anyone else not able to log in? I'm positive I'm inputting my name and amcas ID correctly but it keeps giving me a log in error...

Just got the secondary. Anyone else not able to log in? I'm positive I'm inputting my name and amcas ID correctly but it keeps giving me a log in error...
Having the exact same issue. I'm just going to assume their system is lagging behind updating and give it a day or two before calling them about it.

^ @theKingLT Have you tried typing your name and AMCAS ID instead of copying and pasting it? That has worked for me.

Could also be what @Sagebrush is saying, lagging issues and whatnot.

Having the same issue as well.

so for the diversity checkboxes. should i only check what makes me diverse. or answer all regardless? what did you guys do?

so for the diversity checkboxes. should i only check what makes me diverse. or answer all regardless? what did you guys do?
I checked the boxes that applied to me and then used the little essay to talk about those experiences and what I learned and how that allows me to bring diversity of thought and a new perspective from the school, but I only talked about the things that were covered in the checkboxes... Although I'm sure they understand that diversity comes in many forms and not only can diversity not be reduced to checkboxes, but everyone's experience is different and might include things that they didn't even think about when creating those boxes

Looking to swap this secondary with someone for peer-editing. Message me if you're interested!

Man, I'm just here to say that this diversity prompt really stinks imo. The prompt's emphasis on our identity makes it feel restrictive and that I have to adapt my standard diversity essay to incorporate that. Combined with the scant 200 word limit, its really on my list of most annoying prompts I've had to write (somewhat surprisingly considering I just began Duke's secondary). I just wish NW went with a more forgiving and open-ended prompt like almost every other school. Sheesh.

/rant

Anybody applying MSTP receive a secondary yet?

Verified Monday, hope to get their secondary soon. Essays are all ready to go

Just got a letter in the mail from them encouraging me to apply. I'm a URM, and I honestly didn't spend a millisecond even considering this school because my GPA and MCAT are lightyears out of their average range :unsure: does anyone know how serious I should take those letters, or do they kinda send them out to all URMs? They offered to waive my secondary fee....but still. Kinda sounds like a scam lol

Just got a letter in the mail from them encouraging me to apply. I'm a URM, and I honestly didn't spend a millisecond even considering this school because my GPA and MCAT are lightyears out of their average range :unsure: does anyone know how serious I should take those letters, or do they kinda send them out to all URMs? They offered to waive my secondary fee....but still. Kinda sounds like a scam lol

If they're waving your secondary fee then I'd say it can't hurt as long as it doesn't get in the way of your other applications.

Could someone who received this year's secondary kindly list the selections mentioned in prompt #5? I'd like to see how I have to adjust my diversity essay to the potential selections. Thank you!

Could someone who received this year's secondary kindly list the selections mentioned in prompt #5? I'd like to see how I have to adjust my diversity essay to the potential selections. Thank you!

Part A: asks about Racial/Ethnic backgrounds - just checkboxes
Part B: Sexual identities - checkboxes
Part C: Gender Identities - checkboxes
Part D: Social Background - checkboxes asking about disadvantaged statuses (i.e first gen?, english primary language?, disability?, etc.)
Part E: Narrative description - essay 200 words

Part A: asks about Racial/Ethnic backgrounds - just checkboxes
Part B: Sexual identities - checkboxes
Part C: Gender Identities - checkboxes
Part D: Social Background - checkboxes asking about disadvantaged statuses (i.e first gen?, english primary language?, disability?, etc.)
Part E: Narrative description - essay 200 words

THANK YOU!

Would it be worth waiting 5 days for a secondary fee waiver? I was planning on submitting tomorrow... earlier vs cheaper :eyebrow: