2016-2017 Oakland University (Beaumont) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this up until the beginning of March? Or did interviews actually take place in March?
I believe interviews took place in March.. not sure when the last person was notified of an interview though but there still is some time

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I too have not heard anything at all yet and interviewed on 10/7. So there's hope?
They said at my interview silence isn't bad. It means they are re-reviewing your app every meeting until they make their final decision.

I can't believe after several years of reading posts of people getting accepted that I can finally say that I got the acceptance call earlier today!:soexcited::clap::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::clap:. Interviewed 1/20. Cried like a baby when I found out. I am extremely grateful that OUWB really appreciated my experiences and outlook and looked passed my lower than average academic stats. Just wanted to encourage those who are still waiting and have been getting rejections to not give up hope! As a reapplicant this year I was pretty devastated to get many rejections so far again this cycle, but all you really need is one. the one. and it makes everything worth it. And the way I look at it is maybe all those rejections happened so that in the end I will end up at a school where I was meant to be. It has been many years of people, including close family members, doubting that I will ever get accepted because of my low stats and encouraging me to be "realistic" and look into other career options, especially since I have been out of school for several years and have been telling people that I am premed for what seems like an eternity now. But if you really want this for yourself, don't let this discourage you. Instead use it as motivation to keep trying, improving until you get to your goal. I have met doctors who had to apply several cycles to get to where they are now ( one even applied 7+ cycles before they got an acceptance!). I know this is only the beginning, but I'm so excited to start on this new path! Also if you are beating yourself up for silly things you thought you said during your interview or things you wished you had said, don't overthink it! Sorry for the rambling but I know that it can seem hopeless at times and this post has been years in the making. I am rooting for you underdogs! Thank you again OUWB for making today one of the most memorable days of my life.

Reactions: 21 users
I can't believe after several years of reading posts of people getting accepted that I can finally say that I got the acceptance call earlier today!:soexcited::clap::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::clap:. Interviewed 1/20. Cried like a baby when I found out. I am extremely grateful that OUWB really appreciated my experiences and outlook and looked passed my lower than average academic stats. Just wanted to encourage those who are still waiting and have been getting rejections to not give up hope! As a reapplicant this year I was pretty devastated to get many rejections so far again this cycle, but all you really need is one. the one. and it makes everything worth it. And the way I look at it is maybe all those rejections happened so that in the end I will end up at a school where I was meant to be. It has been many years of people, including close family members, doubting that I will ever get accepted because of my low stats and encouraging me to be "realistic" and look into other career options, especially since I have been out of school for several years and have been telling people that I am premed for what seems like an eternity now. But if you really want this for yourself, don't let this discourage you. Instead use it as motivation to keep trying, improving until you get to your goal. I have met doctors who had to apply several cycles to get to where they are now ( one even applied 7+ cycles before they got an acceptance!). I know this is only the beginning, but I'm so excited to start on this new path! Also if you are beating yourself up for silly things you thought you said during your interview or things you wished you had said, don't overthink it! Sorry for the rambling but I know that it can seem hopeless at times and this post has been years in the making. I am rooting for you underdogs! Thank you again OUWB for making today one of the most memorable days of my life.
Congrats! See you in the fall :)

Anyone else waiting on a pre-II decision here? I've been complete since September, and haven't heard back. Everyone I know has already received word back from OUWB except me.

+1 Completed early September and silence :(

Anyone interviewing Feb. 10? Also, anyone debating on Wayne vs. OUWB?

Reactions: 1 user
Pre-II rejection just now. Complete 8/26. Was hopeful for something since they took so long with app :/

All calls have been made. I guess I'll have to wait for the next meeting

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone able to find the facebook page it tells us to friend on the page after we accept our offer?

First acceptance!!!!! So honored. *tears of joy*

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone interviewed before 1/13 and didnn't hear anything this week?

Yep. Interviewed 9/30. Probably looking at a waitlist I'm assuming at this point?

Ahhh, that sucks. I feel like I was not good enough. All the apps from my interview data got reviewed this week, but I got silence. So I am having the same feeling as you....that I will be waitlisted :(

Ahhh, that sucks. I feel like I was not good enough. All the apps from my interview data got reviewed this week, but I got silence. So I am having the same feeling as you....that I will be waitlisted :(

I wouldn't worry too much! I think most people roll over a few dates. I know a few that have been accepted a few months after the interview!!

Don't let my record scare you ;)

I asked almost every med student that I spoke to on interview day when they heard back and almost all of them said it took 1.5-3 months for them to hear back with their acceptance, not waitlist or anything just straight acceptance, so theres still a lot of hope that its coming!

Reactions: 1 users
I asked almost every med student that I spoke to on interview day when they heard back and almost all of them said it took 1.5-3 months for them to hear back with their acceptance, not waitlist or anything just straight acceptance, so theres still a lot of hope that its coming!

Well that's good to hear. Correct me if I am wrong, but they said that if they definitely don't want you they will outright reject you and not keep you waiting, right? Just trying to figure out if no news is definitely good news...

Well that's good to hear. Correct me if I am wrong, but they said that if they definitely don't want you they will outright reject you and not keep you waiting, right? Just trying to figure out if no news is definitely good news...
Yes, they said that after each committee meeting if they made a decision to reject or waitlist you then they will let you know via email after the meeting. If you didn't get any news after that committee meeting then they are re-reviewing your application at the next meeting(s). So yes no news is good news :)

Anyone know whether accepted students are able to submit their deposit yet? I've been looking around in all the portal stuff but can't even find any mention of submitting the deposit... will this come later?

Anyone know whether accepted students are able to submit their deposit yet? I've been looking around in all the portal stuff but can't even find any mention of submitting the deposit... will this come later?

They just tweeted a response to this. $100 deposit request to be sent out in March and due April 30.

Accepted!!!!!!!! Got their voicemail on Wednesday but didn't notice it until now!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Guys they said at the interview that if you do not hear after they review your interview group at the committee meeting (they post on twitter which groups have been reviewed) then you have been waitlisted. They don't send you en email saying you have been waitlisted because they will continue to review your app at each committee meeting, so in theory you could be waitlisted and then accepted two weeks later. If they are rejecting you then you get an email.

Guys they said at the interview that if you do not hear after they review your interview group at the committee meeting (they post on twitter which groups have been reviewed) then you have been waitlisted. They don't send you en email saying you have been waitlisted because they will continue to review your app at each committee meeting, so in theory you could be waitlisted and then accepted two weeks later. If they are rejecting you then you get an email.

I may have heard wrong since it was early and I was still on west coast time, but they way I heard it on interview day was if you didn't get an acceptance by call, or a rejection or waitlist through email, then they are still considering you for an acceptance later on or for the waitlist. Thats also what I inferred from their twitter:

OUWB Admissions‏@OUWBAdmissions
SDN Friends: Post interview denials and third tier waitlist emails go out after each committee meeting.

SDN friends: Silence=still considering you. 3 possible actions: offer before Apr, 1st tier waitlist in Apr, or 2nd tier waitlist in Apr.

Anyone else who can chime in o_O? I guess in both cases, what matters is if you haven't heard back they are still considering you.

What about the SDN friends who still have not heard pre-II? Are apps still reviewed and are there any interviews left?

I may have heard wrong since it was early and I was still on west coast time, but they way I heard it on interview day was if you didn't get an acceptance by call, or a rejection or waitlist through email, then they are still considering you for an acceptance later on or for the waitlist. Thats also what I inferred from their twitter:

SDN Friends: Post interview denials and third tier waitlist emails go out after each committee meeting.

SDN friends: Silence=still considering you. 3 possible actions: offer before Apr, 1st tier waitlist in Apr, or 2nd tier waitlist in Apr.

Anyone else who can chime in o_O? I guess in both cases, what matters is if you haven't heard back they are still considering you.

They have 3 tiers for their waitlist. Tier 3=they thought you had potential but were not competitive enough that cycle. It's basically a rejection but they want to distinguish between them saying "we didn't like you" (rejection) and "we liked you but other people were better" (tier 3). If you are on WL Tier 1 or 2 you still have a chance of being accepted. For this reason they do not inform you until later in the cycle if you are on Tier 1 or 2 because your app is still being considered at every meeting. So hypothetically, they could review your app after your interview, put you on WL Tier 1 and not tell you about it. Silence. Next committee meeting they review you again and decide to accept you that time. Acceptance phone call.

Later in the cycle (probably after all the interviews are over) they will tell you if you are on WL Tier 1 or 2 so you can assess your chances of eventually being accepted.

OOS non-trad here. Submitted my secondary quite late in the cycle. Haven't heard a thing. Does OUWB accept update letters?

OOS non-trad here. Submitted my secondary quite late in the cycle. Haven't heard a thing. Does OUWB accept update letters?
Yes they do! I sent in a couple updates but have had complete silence since then actually.

Last edited:

They have 3 tiers for their waitlist. Tier 3=they thought you had potential but were not competitive enough that cycle. It's basically a rejection but they want to distinguish between them saying "we didn't like you" (rejection) and "we liked you but other people were better" (tier 3). If you are on WL Tier 1 or 2 you still have a chance of being accepted. For this reason they do not inform you until later in the cycle if you are on Tier 1 or 2 because your app is still being considered at every meeting. So hypothetically, they could review your app after your interview, put you on WL Tier 1 and not tell you about it. Silence. Next committee meeting they review you again and decide to accept you that time. Acceptance phone call.

Later in the cycle (probably after all the interviews are over) they will tell you if you are on WL Tier 1 or 2 so you can assess your chances of eventually being accepted.

That's what I was thinking too, they probably have a preliminary waitlist already, and they probably just accept applicants from it each time they meet in addition to reviewing new apps. Whoever does not make it out of the waitlist by April will be officially waitlisted I guess.

Pleasantly surprised by interview day here. The hospital was stunning and all the staff and students were very friendly and amicable.

Last edited:
Pleasantly surprised by interview day here. The hospital was stunning and all the staff and students were very friendly and amicable.
I completely agree; I wasn't expecting to love OUWB nearly as much as I do after interviewing there this weekend.

Reactions: 2 users
Still waiting here ...anyone else?

I interview tomorrow and I just realized its an 8-5 schedule .... damn, why so long?

I interview tomorrow and I just realized its an 8-5 schedule .... damn, why so long?
It's long but it's so worth it. Definitely the best interview experience that I have had this year.

Last interview date will be 3/10 and they plan to have all invitations out by the end of the month. Just got an email reply from admissions.

Just saw that Dean Grabowski is leaving on Facebook. Any clue on why that is? I haven't even attended the school and I think I am going to miss her.