2016-2017 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called the admissions office yesterday. They were super nice. They said they are running late and really wanted to get the first wave of acceptances out last week. Then she said hopefully you'll hear by the end of month if not then in the next 2 weeks for sure.

So..... how about we all just meditate for the next two weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• patience.jpg
    patience.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: 1 users
I called the admissions office yesterday. They were super nice. They said they are running late and really wanted to get the first wave of acceptances out last week. Then she said hopefully you'll hear by the end of month if not then in the next 2 weeks for sure.

nerve-wrecking!

So, I am interviewing at UCLA next wednesday in the early morning session. I would like to reach out to any current students, adcoms, or previous interviewees who might be able to offer me some insight as to what the MMI format is used to gauge. Obviously I know that specifics cannot be given, however all of my interviews have been a traditional format so I am nervous about the MMI.

Personally speaking, I feel like my strongest attributes are my emotional intelligence (my ability to feel what others are feeling and to act in a way that reflects that person's emotional state) and my ability to analyze/synthesize information. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, because this is honestly my dream school.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Note: if anyone is preparing to interview at Miller, Morsani, or Perelman I would be happy to offer any insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I am interviewing at UCLA next wednesday in the early morning session. I would like to reach out to any current students, adcoms, or previous interviewees who might be able to offer me some insight as to what the MMI format is used to gauge. Obviously I know that specifics cannot be given, however all of my interviews have been a traditional format so I am nervous about the MMI.

Personally speaking, I feel like my strongest attributes are my emotional intelligence (my ability to feel what others are feeling and to act in a way that reflects that person's emotional state) and my ability to analyze/synthesize information. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, because this is honestly my dream school.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Note: if anyone is preparing to interview at Miller, Morsani, or Perelman I would be happy to offer any insight.

Hi!

I would look over some MMI questions (found on YouTube, google, etc.) and practice. Also, just be yourself! Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for calling! Did they say anything about who will be in the first wave of acceptances? Like August-November or something, or just everyone?

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you for passing on the information. I've been using my Buddhify app regularly while an essential oil diffuser mists my face.

I think what helps with MMI is to ALWAYS, no matter what, keep your patient/person in mind and do what is BEST for them. keeping this mentality around, create constructive arguments that center on your patient/person/situation you are dealing with. good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for calling! Did they say anything about who will be in the first wave of acceptances? Like August-November or something, or just everyone?

She said everyone who interviewed early which I'm assuming just means everyone who interviewed in 2016.

I hadn't gotten a secondary around Halloween, so I called to see if I had been screened out.

Nope. They just stagger the secondaries. Received one a few days later.

Two questions:
  1. Do we have to send transcripts post-interview???
  2. When is the first wave of acceptances likely to come out?

Members don't see this ad :)
O

**** lol. What if I interviewed months ago and never did...

do it now before they release acceptances. i figure they'd conditionally accept you anyways and have you prove your grades later. can't imagine it's a make or break kinda deal

O

**** lol. What if I interviewed months ago and never did...
Also, why does UCLA make us do this? Other schools don't make us send transcripts..
I did the same. I swear, I've looked at the II e-mail and it doesn't mention a transcript! I only heard they wanted them 3 months after the fact and panicked but they were cool about it, just told me to send them on over.

Do we send post II transcripts if we already sent them a copy before the interview?

I did the same. I swear, I've looked at the II e-mail and it doesn't mention a transcript! I only heard they wanted them 3 months after the fact and panicked but they were cool about it, just told me to send them on over.

Do we just send it to the Admissions Office address?

885 Tiverton Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90095 (?)

But people what about this testimony :
Hey all!

I am an MS2 within the Drew/UCLA medical education program. If you have questions, feel free to PM me! Also, they request your transcripts now, but they are actually important for matriculation (many schools do this). During my cycle, I did not send in my transcripts until I was accepted.
And this:
Did everyone who interviewed here send in their transcripts? Was told that I didn't have to till after being accepted, but looking through last year's thread there seemed to be conflicting answers...
I interviewed the same day as @efgih and, like him, I explicitly remember Dean Hall telling us that we didn't need transcripts until we were accepted...

Given the conflicting answers, it stands that it is not a significant factor when you submit your transcripts.

When I called I was told that they really just want to see the pre-req grades.

Now I'm really going to freak out every time I get a notification from this thread

Something I am curious about is how often does somebody have a good interview, but still doesn't get accepted? Every doc and current student I have talked to has said something along the lines of "the school already likes you on paper from your primary and secondary apps. If you are a normal person who can have a good conversation and interview well, then you will likely earn yourself an acceptance." I saw somewhere that last year they interviewed around 700 and sent 250 offers (I may have found this on the UCLA website but I can't remember). That means 35% got offers and 65% didn't. There couldn't have possibly been 450 interviewees who did poorly on their interview, so what kept some of these people from getting an offer if they had good apps and a good interview? I feel relatively confident about my abilities in the MMI (my interview here is coming up! Yay!!) but I'm wondering how much of a possibility it is that I don't get an offer even if I do well on the MMI? Any insight would be helpful. This whole process baffles me. I'm sure it's a pretty tough job for the admissions committee.

Something I am curious about is how often does somebody have a good interview, but still doesn't get accepted? Every doc and current student I have talked to has said something along the lines of "the school already likes you on paper from your primary and secondary apps. If you are a normal person who can have a good conversation and interview well, then you will likely earn yourself an acceptance." I saw somewhere that last year they interviewed around 700 and sent 250 offers (I may have found this on the UCLA website but I can't remember). That means 35% got offers and 65% didn't. There couldn't have possibly been 450 interviewees who did poorly on their interview, so what kept some of these people from getting an offer if they had good apps and a good interview? I feel relatively confident about my abilities in the MMI (my interview here is coming up! Yay!!) but I'm wondering how much of a possibility it is that I don't get an offer even if I do well on the MMI? Any insight would be helpful. This whole process baffles me. I'm sure it's a pretty tough job for the admissions committee.
A different admissions committee said this, which made sense to me:

We put a ton of weight on the interview. But in an instance when two interviews went equally well, grades and MCAT (and other aspects of the primary and secondary applications) will be used to tip the scales towards one or the other.

Now, this was a school that admitted that they weight the interview very heavily. But this principle may hold for more schools: just because we're invited to interview doesn't mean we're all on equal footing. In the case of an interview "tie" - which probably happens more often than we think - then our stats kick in and decide who's in and who's out.

I imagine the interviews are pretty uniform. A few rise to the top, a few at the bottom, and a bunch of pretty good in the middle. I bet they use stats to take the top and as much of the middle as they want.

Note: How many times I said "I bet" and "I imagine." I'm mostly speculating to pass the time. Except for that one quote from a different school. That's quality info.

A different admissions committee said this, which made sense to me:

We put a ton of weight on the interview. But in an instance when two interviews went equally well, grades and MCAT (and other aspects of the primary and secondary applications) will be used to tip the scales towards one or the other.

Now, this was a school that admitted that they weight the interview very heavily. But this principle may hold for more schools: just because we're invited to interview doesn't mean we're all on equal footing. In the case of an interview "tie" - which probably happens more often than we think - then our stats kick in and decide who's in and who's out.

I imagine the interviews are pretty uniform. A few rise to the top, a few at the bottom, and a bunch of pretty good in the middle. I bet they use stats to take the top and as much of the middle as they want.

Note: How many times I said "I bet" and "I imagine." I'm mostly speculating to pass the time. Except for that one quote from a different school. That's quality info.

Yeah this makes sense to me and it's kind of what I have been thinking. I wonder how much time they spend to go back and review all the activities we put down as well as if somebody is a disadvantaged student when they are making a final decision too. I feel like my numbers are around average for this school, so if it comes down to me vs another person with a good interview and similar scores/grades, does the fact that one person is disadvantaged tip the scale? Or if one person has just 20 more hours of volunteering or something along those lines. I can see why this whole process takes so long but it's bad because it gives my neurotic mind more time to overthink. hahaha. Good luck to you!

Well, Dean Hall specified that UCLA weighs everything equally. That being said i was invited for an interview with stats on the very low side. I think my interview went okay, but nothing spectacular. So I'll be in the middle most likely with only a disadvantaged essay justifying my grades. So idk what my chances of getting an acceptance will be.

Im not preparing to receive an acceptance because of my peimary application essentially.

Well, Dean Hall specified that UCLA weighs everything equally. That being said i was invited for an interview with stats on the very low side. I think my interview went okay, but nothing spectacular. So I'll be in the middle most likely with only a disadvantaged essay justifying my grades. So idk what my chances of getting an acceptance will be.

Im not preparing to receive an acceptance because of my peimary application essentially.

Congrats on interviewing!! And I know it's impossible, but try not to be too worried. I have read a couple times that many current students didn't feel good about how their interviews went, but still ended up getting in (obviously since they are current students, ha).

I read this on last year's UCLA thread: "According to the admissions people, 99% of those they interview get into SOME US med school." Any thoughts on this? Does that mean people who only have one interview (*cough cough me cough*) have a 99% chance of an offer? hehehe Just kidding.... kind of... *cries internally*

Also, from reading last year's thread, it looks like a wave of acceptances were sent out within the first week of Feb (a few on the 2nd). So I'm thinking some of you Sept-Dec interviewees might hear back soon. For those interviewing in Jan-March, one person interviewed mid-Feb and got an acceptance by mid-March, while some of those who interviewed in Sept didn't get accepted until May. Once the interview season is done, it seems that there is not much of a pattern to it all, so try to overthink it if you interviewed in 2016 but didn't hear back yet. I know there are some differences from year to year but thought I this might be helpful.

I read this on last year's UCLA thread: "According to the admissions people, 99% of those they interview get into SOME US med school." Any thoughts on this? Does that mean people who only have one interview (*cough cough me cough*) have a 99% chance of an offer? hehehe Just kidding.... kind of... *cries internally*

Also, from reading last year's thread, it looks like a wave of acceptances were sent out within the first week of Feb (a few on the 2nd). So I'm thinking some of you Sept-Dec interviewees might hear back soon. For those interviewing in Jan-March, one person interviewed mid-Feb and got an acceptance by mid-March, while some of those who interviewed in Sept didn't get accepted until May. Once the interview season is done, it seems that there is not much of a pattern to it all, so try to overthink it if you interviewed in 2016 but didn't hear back yet. I know there are some differences from year to year but thought I this might be helpful.

Last edited:

I think stats do play a role (mostly pre-II), but fit and creating a diverse class also are extremely important. I do speculate that most candidates will do either average or well on their interviews. I would also imagine that even the people who did well on their interviews (+ great stats) and did not get admitted, probably aren't the best fit for what UCLA embodies or look for. I'm sure they have their own criteria to determine that and the interviewers know what to look for too. You can be highly accomplished and have a great interview, but there can also be instances where another applicant just has a more compelling reason to go into medicine. In addition, they are also looking to create a diverse class of people. Maybe they would rather take a chance on someone with lower stats, great interview, and has a unique life experiences/perspective over someone who interviewed well, had great stats, but wasn't unique enough. I'm not part of ADCOM at all, but maybe this is another approach they take?

Got a ticket and was rejected from more scools today. But then UCLA gives me my second II!! II today, LM ~74!!

Dry the entire cycle and rejected everywhere when, suddenly, two IIs within a week!! I can't believe it!!

Reactions: 28 users
Got a ticket and was rejected from more scools today. But then UCLA gives me my second II!! II today, LM ~74!!

Dry the entire cycle and rejected everywhere when, suddenly, two IIs within a week!! I can't believe it!!

good luck, rooting for you!

Called the admissions office and learned three things:
  1. They still want your transcript now, even if you're still currently enrolled in school
  2. It doesn't matter if you have missing grades on your transcript (I assume they'll ask for a final transcript later)
  3. You will still receive an admissions decision without having sent in your transcript (the person on the phone hesitated before confirming, so maybe she was slightly unsure but by the end she sounded confident)
At that point the person on the phone sounded like she wanted to finish the call so I didn't ask any more questions. I was never asked to identify myself/provide an AMCAS ID either. Hopefully this puts some minds at ease!

Reactions: 2 users
Does UCLA still send IIs?
I guess some UCs have sent Invitations as late as March in the past.

For people that have interviewed at this school, can you please share your perspective? Pros/cons, things that make this program unique, things you wish would change, etc

I'm at work and I got a call from an unknown Los Angeles-area number. I couldn't take the call because I was with a client, but I got all tense and excited and sweaty.

When I could finally check my phone and call back, over an hour later... it rang once and turned into soft piano music. I googled the number and people have reported this happening with this number.

WHY UNIVERSE WHY

I'm at work and I got a call from an unknown Los Angeles-area number. I couldn't take the call because I was with a client, but I got all tense and excited and sweaty.

When I could finally check my phone and call back, over an hour later... it rang once and turned into soft piano music. I googled the number and people have reported this happening with this number.

WHY UNIVERSE WHY
Wow that call literally had the opposite effect from intended, I'm so sorry.
I've had this happen from marketing calls and I've had to fight the urge to throw my phone against the wall

What was the dress code for the informal student meet and greet the night before?

What was the dress code for the informal student meet and greet the night before?

No dress code! None whatsoever. Even those of us there who are on subcommittee and/or conduct interviews do not report anything about the meet and greet (unless maybe you do something really silly like punch one of us), so don't stress about it at all.

I received an II a few weeks ago and signed up for the student host program. Still haven't heard back and my interview is in two weeks.

For those of you who signed up for the student host program, when did you find out if you got it?

I received an II a few weeks ago and signed up for the student host program. Still haven't heard back and my interview is in two weeks.

For those of you who signed up for the student host program, when did you find out if you got it?

The student host coordinators never actually got back to me... I had to email them (uclasomhost AT gmail DOT com) to ask about my host and the location of the Meet and Greet, and only then did they respond. I haven't heard any complaints about the host program though so maybe my case was n=1

Reactions: 2 users

Just checked my email, and I received my host match 3 days before my interview.

For anyone interested, I called admissions today to ask about the start date for this year's incoming class.

It's going to be July 31st, which is a Monday.

For anyone interested, I called admissions today to ask about the start date for this year's incoming class.

It's going to be July 31st, which is a Monday.
Edit: thanks!

Called here earlier this morning, they said they have 'started sending out acceptances' :eek:
Idk if that's the geffen calls that were on here earlier, or if regular acceptances have gone out

Called here earlier this morning, they said they have 'started sending out acceptances' :eek:
Idk if that's the geffen calls that were on here earlier, or if regular acceptances have gone out

given that nobody has posted about a recent acceptance on here, i'm leaning towards the former option. hopefully

Reactions: 4 users