2016-2017 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still waiting

Same! On the Hub app it says that calls and e-mails will go out around 5 PM EST, so best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The people who interviewed on October 24th and later are supposed to hear something today right?

So I guess we aren't hearing from them today...?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted to both MD and MD/MPH via phone today! Interviewed 11/7-11/8.

Reactions: 5 users
Waitlisted. That explains not receiving the call.

HOLY CRAPPP I'M ACCEPTED!!
Pretty much crying- didn't pre-match in TX so I was feeling super bummed. Can't believe it.

Reactions: 6 users
HOLY CRAPPP I'M ACCEPTED!!
Pretty much crying- didn't pre-match in TX so I was feeling super bummed. Can't believe it.

Ayyyyy Texas residents, Florida acceptance buddies. I got UCF but still hoping for an interview here! CONGRATS, I hope you get some good TX news soon!

Reactions: 1 user
Where do we upload updates and what are the max number of updates we can send?

At least for last year, updates were sent to the admissions email directly, and I don't think they placed a limit on the number.

For everyone who has gotten an interview here, would any of you be willing to share your essays with me? PP would appreciate it.

I've been complete since early August and still haven't been scored. Does this mean they never even looked at my application?

Reactions: 6 users
For those of you who have interviewed, thank you emails are supposed to be sent to the admissions email address, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know how long their interview season is? Could we still be called in Jan. or Feb.?

Does anyone know how long their interview season is? Could we still be called in Jan. or Feb.?
Yes! They interview through mid-March I think. I received my II in mid-January for early February, but people were interviewed after me who got in!

If days were pigs and "under review" were food, I would have a farm with husky piglets right now.

Complete since mid-July.

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you who have interviewed, thank you emails are supposed to be sent to the admissions email address, correct?

Or you can email them directly to your interviewer. Mine gave me her card so I just sent it directly.

She said that if you send them directly clearly it's only between you and your interviewer but if you would like the adcom to see it as well send it to the general email. So whichever you prefer!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

She said that if you send them directly clearly it's only between you and your interviewer but if you would like the adcom to see it as well send it to the general email. So whichever you prefer!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

What about sending a thank you card? I didn't send a thank you email since on The Hub it gave a physical address and mailed a card instead.

Thanks! I ended up sending it to the general email since I (stupidly) forgot to get my interviewer's personal email. And also, I remember them specifically saying that mailing a thank you card was definitely an option, so you should be good to go @ace_inhibitor111

For all those not scored yet, nothing is definite at this point. Remember, I was complete in mid-July and was scored late February. Received an II about 2 weeks later. So it's hard but please exercise some patience. There are thousands of applications Admissions has to sort through. And please enjoy what may be your last several months of freedom!! You'll have plenty of stresses in med school, so try to have the most fun you can now!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know how the waitlist works? I think I remember the lady saying that they take the top 20 applicants in the pool of recently interviewed and waitlisted like once a month on a Wednesday. Is that correct?

Does anyone know how the waitlist works? I think I remember the lady saying that they take the top 20 applicants in the pool of recently interviewed and waitlisted like once a month on a Wednesday. Is that correct?
Not once a month, but every acceptance date. Roughly every two weeks.

Not once a month, but every acceptance date. Roughly every two weeks.
But it is the top 20 applicants either waitlisted or recently interviewed? If that's the case then this waitlist sounds semi-promising as compared to others that wait until late Spring

But it is the top 20 applicants either waitlisted or recently interviewed? If that's the case then this waitlist sounds semi-promising as compared to others that wait until late Spring

Yes, you have it. The dean said that, after each interview, everyone is given a score by the committee and then put into a single list. You could hear back on the first possible acceptance date or any acceptance date following

Dates acceptances are being given:

Wed Dec 7
Wed Jan 11
Wed Jan 25
Wed Feb 8
Wed March 1
Wed March 15

For all those not scored yet, nothing is definite at this point. Remember, I was complete in mid-July and was scored late February. Received an II about 2 weeks later. So it's hard but please exercise some patience. There are thousands of applications Admissions has to sort through. And please enjoy what may be your last several months of freedom!! You'll have plenty of stresses in med school, so try to have the most fun you can now!

Can you share your stats with me? I was also complete late july and am OOS with LM 68

+1! But if you look at last year's thread, some people don't receive the scored status even in the end of March... However I certainly don't buy the "the process is random, we score whatever application the computer spits out." They have their own internal filters and your application goes through multiple screenings before it actually gets the scored status, so not receiving the scored status does not mean your application has not been looked at. Logically speaking, I doubt they would leave things up to a randomized computer program if there are superstars with 72+ LizzyM. Those applicants will always get first dibs regardless of their completion date.

Not receiving the scored status probably means your app has been halted at a filter and will be re-reviewed, but the way it's done certainly over simplifies the process and gives the applicants a false sense of hope. I would much rather have them state "Application complete and you will possibly be contacted for an interview anytime between September - March." So just have a balanced mindset that not receiving the scored status on the portal can be a silent rejection rather than a "My app will be scored any minute now and they'll shoot me an II soon."

On a positive note: I was complete mid-late August and never saw a score on my application portal. However, after having the "Your application is complete and you will possibly be contacted for an interview anytime between September - March." message for over a month, I received an II out of the blue today. So it doesn't hurt to keep your hopes up and your fingers crossed for good news at any point. You never know what might come your way!

Looks like my app was finally scored. #BabySteps

Reactions: 2 users
On a positive note: I was complete mid-late August and never saw a score on my application portal. However, after having the "Your application is complete and you will possibly be contacted for an interview anytime between September - March." message for over a month, I received an II out of the blue today. So it doesn't hurt to keep your hopes up and your fingers crossed for good news at any point. You never know what might come your way!

That status is the equivalent of the "scored status." So you've been scored for over a month. I was referring to the "Your application is currently under review" status. That is the default when you complete your app and some people never have any change in their portal even in March, which ultimately turns to a rejection.

But most importantly, congrats on your interview! I was completed late August as well and still have not been scored :rage:

I just interviewed a couple weeks ago and noticed today that I have the "final decision" status, but we were told that we wouldn't hear back until January. Anyone else have this happen?

No but I interviewed friday and they said january as well. I think they just try to temper your expectations/make you feel better if you don't hear on the first day. By saying I'll hear in January I won't be dissapointed when I don't hear in mid december