*2016-2017 Washington State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow I wonder why the last batch had so many of us in it... I wonder what they sorted by?
They wanted to mess around with the people who post most in the thread so they saved you guys for last to watch everyone go crazy

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
They wanted to mess around with the people who post most in the thread so they saved you guys for last to watch everyone go crazy
So that's why they made me sign my SDN handle on my secondary....

Members don't see this ad :)
Man I'm running low on wsu hope!

Reactions: 1 user
Just heard a radio ad on elson s floyd college of medicine which was cool! Excited to interview here!

Reactions: 2 users
They said the first round of acceptances will go out at the end of February or beginning of March.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
From what we were told, after the first six rounds of interviews, when there are more or less 144 interviewed candidates, they will make decisions on the first 40 accepted students. This will correspond to initial decision in late February. Then, after the remainder of the interviews are conducted, they will make decisions on the last 20 slots.

Just heard a radio ad on elson s floyd college of medicine which was cool! Excited to interview here!
I saw a promotional ad on mynorthwest or the times or something. Thought it was kind of nifty

From what we were told, after the first six rounds of interviews, when there are more or less 144 interviewed candidates, they will make decisions on the first 40 accepted students. This will correspond to initial decision in late February. Then, after the remainder of the interviews are conducted, they will make decisions on the last 20 slots.
Do you know what date that corresponds to. I'm interviewing Feb.11. Will I be in the group of 144?

Man I'm running low on wsu hope!

I hear ya. All the excitement in Spokane about this school starting the past few years is what got me to decide to head back to school to pursue medicine. I've had a number of interviews this cycle and had hoped to visit this school. It seems more and more likely that it won't be happening.

Members don't see this ad :)

Did they say they would only be offering acceptance to 40 people after the first round of decisions and then 20 after? That would be pretty confident of the school to assume that every acceptance they extend will be taken...

Reactions: 1 users
So I'm curious, are they only interviewing 216ish people then (144 for 40, so an addition 72 for the last 20), or are the last 20 spots being selected from a giant pool...I think I saw the number 320 floated in this thread somewhere, so 320-144=176 II's for the last 20 spots?

I think you just made the cutoff assuming there was only 4 interview dates in January
Is that confirmed that only 4 interviews dates were in Jan. When I booked I saw they had Feb. 10 and 11. I thought Feb. 3rd is also an interview date. I figure since my interview takes place before the end of Feb. I'll be considered for the first wave of decisions. Fingers crossed.

Is that confirmed that only 4 interviews dates were in Jan. When I booked I saw they had Feb. 10 and 11. I thought Feb. 3rd is also an interview date. I figure since my interview takes place before the end of Feb. I'll be considered for the first wave of decisions. Fingers crossed.
Feb 10th interview here and im really hoping for the same thing.

As we've figured out, it's useless to even speculate about how this is going to unfold. I do not think anything is going on the timeline WSU originally planned.

The math says they have to give out more than 60. I doubt their enrollment rate will be 100%. Also good point, they don't really stick to exactly what they say.

I was told they will give up to 70 and then put the rest on a waitlist

Waitlist may not be the end of the world for this school

One of the deans told me that there is a total of 330 interviews.
So I'm curious, are they only interviewing 216ish people then (144 for 40, so an addition 72 for the last 20), or are the last 20 spots being selected from a giant pool...I think I saw the number 320 floated in this thread somewhere, so 320-144=176 II's for the last 20 spots?

Trying to remember back to when I signed up for my January interview... I am 85% sure that there were 5 January interview days (4 Fridays and 1 Saturday... I do specifically remember that there was one Saturday slot).

Do you think it is possible that they could have lost an application? I graduated from WSU, I have worked in every major hospital in the area, my grade point is a 3.80 and my mcat is a 510. I already interviewed at UW. I am interested in primary care. Turned in secondary on the 23rd. I called my professors at WSU and they are also shocked/confused. What is going on!!!

Do you think it is possible that they could have lost an application? I graduated from WSU, I have worked in every major hospital in the area, my grade point is a 3.80 and my mcat is a 510. I already interviewed at UW. I am interested in primary care. Turned in secondary on the 23rd. I called my professors at WSU and they are also shocked/confused. What is going on!!!
How well did you address your interest in primary care/rural medicine in your secondary?

How well did you address your interest in primary care/rural medicine in your secondary?
that was my whole secondary application, it was also mentioned in my LOR's, and my personal statement. I have been trying to call their office of recruitment for a few days, no reply.

I was told they will give up to 70 and then put the rest on a waitlist

So that means they are going for a yield rate of 86% before getting to the waitlist?! That seems crazy to me since the average around 50% yield. This will all be interesting. Also sucks for all of us later interviewees if they really are doing it the way they are saying, we are basically hosed compared to the first batch of II's.

that was my whole secondary application, it was also mentioned in my LOR's, and my personal statement. I have been trying to call their office of recruitment for a few days, no reply.
Did you get interviews/acceptances elsewhere? Could there be a possible red flag in a LOR?

So that means they are going for a yield rate of 86% before getting to the waitlist?! That seems crazy to me since the average around 50% yield. This will all be interesting. Also sucks for all of us later interviewees if they really are doing it the way they are saying, we are basically hosed compared to the first batch of II's.
They won't get 86. I doubt they'll get 50 unless they offer some wacky-big scholarships. My guess is that people will have been accepted elsewhere (including UW) and will choose to attend other schools over WSU. Dollar says that they end up accepting 350% of interviewees their expected class size. Another dollar says they blow through 75% of their waitlist doing it.

Edit: I'm dumb

Last edited:
Yup, went to middle school, high school, and college here. Did my gap year here. I have never left.
large.jpg

Seriously though, I'd just keep calling I guess. Can't imagine what the hold up is.

Reactions: 5 users
They won't get 86. I doubt they'll get 50 unless they offer some wacky-big scholarships. My guess is that people will have been accepted elsewhere (including UW) and will choose to attend other schools over WSU. Dollar says that they end up accepting 350% of interviewees. Another dollar says they blow through 75% of their waitlist doing it.

350%?! ;)

Yeah, I agree...which makes it a very weird way of going about it

350%?! ;)

Yeah, I agree...which makes it a very weird way of going about it
HAHAHA! Good catch! I wrote that before my coffee kicked in on the bus! I edited it to clarify.

Last edited:

From my experience, I would say that it is very possible. Their system has some issues they are ironing out. I submitted my primary the first day and didn't get my secondary invite until about a week and a half later. I just figured it was slow for everyone but I went to a presentation they had at my school and asked one of the presenters and he told me to call. Turns out their system had issues with my primary application, I'm a non traditional student and my advanced degree caused an issue with their system.

As for not getting an interview, I'm in a similar boat. I've called multiple times and left messages but never gotten anyone. Maybe I should email but I think I'm just resigned to the fact that I won't be getting an interview at this school. I was born and raised in a small, central Washington town. Have an advanced degree and undergraduate degree from Washington schools. 514 and 3.75. I've had three interviews this cycle and had hoped WSU to be my fourth. Who even knows?

Reactions: 3 users
From my experience, I would say that it is very possible. Their system has some issues they are ironing out. I submitted my primary the first day and didn't get my secondary invite until about a week and a half later. I just figured it was slow for everyone but I went to a presentation they had at my school and asked one of the presenters and he told me to call. Turns out their system had issues with my primary application, I'm a non traditional student and my advanced degree caused an issue with their system.

As for not getting an interview, I'm in a similar boat. I've called multiple times and left messages but never gotten anyone. Maybe I should email but I think I'm just resigned to the fact that I won't be getting an interview at this school. I was born and raised in a small, central Washington town. Have an advanced degree and undergraduate degree from Washington schools. 514 and 3.75. I've had three interviews this cycle and had hoped WSU to be my fourth. Who even knows?
Glad to hear you've at least had some success elsewhere from what it sounds like

I have an mechanical and biomedical engineering degree from Georgia Tech (I grew up in WA though). I've applied to over 50 programs over the last 2 cycles and WSU is my first and only interview. I think they're really trying to be innovative and different than any other med school out there. Incorporating the business and leadership training is unusual and I think very important to be a leader in medicine.

Glad to hear you've at least had some success elsewhere from what it sounds like

Thanks. Just the waiting game for now. The surprising thing for me, this being my first cycle, is that those three are all state schools, including a top 20 program, but I didn't get an interview at UW or WSU. Yes, I've lived outside of WA during part of my 20s, I'm probably older than many of you(have a wife and daughter), but have been living in Washington since 2011. One of the most stressful parts of waiting is I am letting my licenses lapse at the end of this month because I decided medicine was what I wanted to do but those lapsing and hoping that I'll eventually get accepted somewhere is stressful with my situation.

I have an mechanical and biomedical engineering degree from Georgia Tech (I grew up in WA though). I've applied to over 50 programs over the last 2 cycles and WSU is my first and only interview. I think they're really trying to be innovative and different than any other med school out there. Incorporating the business and leadership training is unusual and I think very important to be a leader in medicine.

Best of luck in your interview.

Thanks. Just the waiting game for now. The surprising thing for me, this being my first cycle, is that those three are all state schools, including a top 20 program, but I didn't get an interview at UW or WSU. Yes, I've lived outside of WA during part of my 20s, I'm probably older than many of you(have a wife and daughter), but have been living in Washington since 2011. One of the most stressful parts of waiting is I am letting my licenses lapse at the end of this month because I decided medicine was what I wanted to do but those lapsing and hoping that I'll eventually get accepted somewhere is stressful with my situation.

Thanks

What do you currently do? Are you a nurse or PA?

Good luck, and may the Force be with you
Better than driving with I-90 closed. I was thinking to drive out in Feb. 10th but I'll probably book a flight if the weather is bad that week. Hopefully it clears up by then.

Better than driving with I-90 closed. I was thinking to drive out in Feb. 10th but I'll probably book a flight if the weather is bad that week. Hopefully it clears up by then.
Yeah there was that winter storm warning last night in the cascades so I think flying was your best bet