*2016-2017 Washington State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I just posted this in the OHSU thread, but my understanding is they aren't required. If you look at the actual aamc traffic rules policy, it starts with "the AAMC recommends that"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
We were actually told on Saturday by the Assistant Dean for Admissions and Recruitment that they are required to meet the 60 offers by March 15th.
Maybe it's something to do for getting accreditation and not necessarily for maintaining it

Members don't see this ad.

Could be. Or could be they just adopted the suggestion. Either way if that is how they actually do it - that has to mean the late March interviews are interviewing for turned down spots only.

Also - with how everything has gone so far , 80% of what they have said hasn't come to fruition in the time or manner that they have said. So I'm taking everything with a grain or hundred of salt

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're blowing this out of proportion a bit. First of all while it isn't the wisest thing to give out the interview questions people talk behind the scenes and disclose things in all industries. Second, they may change the interview questions up to prevent this anyways. Third, no matter how many times you rehearse you have to be yourself. I can tell when someone is speaking genuinely or giving a canned answer and you can never rehearse for every question anyways.

Reactions: 1 users
So here's a "Medical School Ethics" situation for your guys....
I just got a voice message from my dad. He said he talked to some gal (his words not mine) at his doctor's office who interviewed at WSU last month. He was eager for me to call him so he could "fill me in on all the interview questions".....

*sigh*

First off, I'm a little skeptical that someone would discuss the actual interview questions or even topics with a complete stranger (though my dad is pretty chatty... and waaaay too nosy); especially since it's my understanding that frequently interviewees are required to sign non-disclosure agreements (plus it would be flat out unethical non-disclosure agreement aside). Likely I'd bet all they discussed was just basic "it's an MMI format, the school is super cool, bla bla bla...", but I can't really chance that he got actual specific interview information or (God forbid) the actual questions and wants to pass them on o_O
Second, if someone where to know the topics or even the actual questions before hand for the interview, I don't think they would be at much of an advantage, as I think it would quickly come across to the interviewers that the answers were super rehearsed. I've just prepped for this interview the same way as all my other interviews. Read lots of internet posted interview questions, practice my responses, and watch lots of Law and Order.
So... my response to him was that as a current applicant to that school I'm not able to discuss directly or second-hand, anything about the interview with others that have already interviewed (my interview is in March... apparently after they have already sent out acceptances for all their seats :( ).

What I am stuck pondering, is if I should tell him to call WSU and inform them of the content of what he discussed with the "gal".
On the one hand, if she didn't discuss anything inappropriate, then no harm no foul. On the other hand; if she did disclose inappropriate information (which I still think is improbable) then someone has violated their non-disclosure agreement... and this would not be someone I would want to potentially be one of my peers in medical school (much less in the medical field).
However, if he were to call them, they would easily be able to identify who's dad this chatty guy is (same last name and all), and I fell like that would likely put my acceptance chances in jeopardy (slim though they are). I have already interviewed and been accepted to a med school, but to be perfectly honest, this new WSU school is a really perfect fit for me, and is where I want to go. So I am very hesitant to even remotely jeopardize my chances.
For now I'm gonna sleep on it and watch Law and Order reruns.

Thoughts, ideas, snide remarks? (too many parenthesis?)
I don't think I would have done any better on any of the MMI's I attended if I had known the questions beforehand. They're meant to be the kind of thing that you can just walk into the room and do.

Good call on the L&O reruns. Which series and season?

Called today, sounds like all interview spots are taken. So it's lookin dim for us waiting for a II. The lady answering the phone seemed kinda unsure though.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got a voice message from my dad. He said he talked to some gal (his words not mine) at his doctor's office who interviewed at WSU last month. He was eager for me to call him so he could "fill me in on all the interview questions".....

*sigh*

First off, I'm a little skeptical that someone would discuss the actual interview questions or even topics with a complete stranger (though my dad is pretty chatty... and waaaay too nosy); especially since it's my understanding that frequently interviewees are required to sign non-disclosure agreements (plus it would be flat out unethical non-disclosure agreement aside). Likely I'd bet all they discussed was just basic "it's an MMI format, the school is super cool, bla bla bla...", but I can't really chance that he got actual specific interview information or (God forbid) the actual questions and wants to pass them on o_O
Second, if someone where to know the topics or even the actual questions before hand for the interview, I don't think they would be at much of an advantage, as I think it would quickly come across to the interviewers that the answers were super rehearsed. I've just prepped for this interview the same way as all my other interviews. Read lots of internet posted interview questions, practice my responses, and watch lots of Law and Order.
So... my response to him was that as a current applicant to that school I'm not able to discuss directly or second-hand, anything about the interview with others that have already interviewed (my interview is in March... apparently after they have already sent out acceptances for all their seats :( ).

What I am stuck pondering, is if I should tell him to call WSU and inform them of the content of what he discussed with the "gal".
On the one hand, if she didn't discuss anything inappropriate, then no harm no foul. On the other hand; if she did disclose inappropriate information (which I still think is improbable) then someone has violated their non-disclosure agreement... and this would not be someone I would want to potentially be one of my peers in medical school (much less in the medical field).
However, if he were to call them, they would easily be able to identify who's dad this chatty guy is (same last name and all), and I fell like that would likely put my acceptance chances in jeopardy (slim though they are). I have already interviewed and been accepted to a med school, but to be perfectly honest, this new WSU school is a really perfect fit for me, and is where I want to go. So I am very hesitant to even remotely jeopardize my chances.

Sounds like you should report your dad too for purposefully extracting that information..sounds unethical as well.

I can see why it is wrong for someone to disclose that kind of information but it Also somewhat pisses me off that there's people out there like that who go out of their way to jeopardize other people's chances to get into medical school.

Last edited:

*sigh*

Totally not unethical since this website compiles that kind of information here:

https://schools.studentdoctor.net

(It just doesn't exist for WSU yet).

The unethical part is that MMI's make you sign an NDA. Wouldn't be unethical for traditional.

Edit: I'm not crazy in remembering that WSU does MMI am I?
They do MMI but I think we're making much ado about nothing.

It doesn't matter anyway, because almost all MMI's use different scenarios/questions for each day for the most part, not to mention it's about how you think, not exactly your answers, so knowing before isn't going to help you much.

"This would not be someone I would want to potentially be one of my peer in medical school (much less in the medical field)".....that's going a bit over the top. Clearly there wasn't malicious intent and sounds like if anything that was inappropriately shared it wasn't because the "gal" was trying to get something out of it, or was trying to give someone else an unfair advantage.

It always cracks me up how premeds think that medicine is some perfect world where everyone has perfect ethics. Truth of the matter is (and you'll realize this once you're older), we're all human, and susceptible and prone to doing things humans do. For example, infidelity rate among physicians is only outmatched by financial industry.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Ugh... .

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The panic of everyone. You're all going to be fine. Don't sweat stuff you can't control.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, did any interviewees from last week get any updates about a timetable for when they will start notifying us of acceptances?

Out of curiosity, did any interviewees from last week get any updates about a timetable for when they will start notifying us of acceptances?

Was at WSU on Sat. They told us the admissions committee starts meeting later this month (I think around Feb 20th) and that 60 acceptances will be sent out by March 15. Also something interesting they said is that once the decision was made to send you a secondary they no longer consider your GPA or MCAT. As your application is reviewed it will be read by five different people.

Was at WSU on Sat. They told us the admissions committee starts meeting later this month (I think around Feb 20th) and that 60 acceptances will be sent out by March 15. Also something interesting they said is that once the decision was made to send you a secondary they no longer consider your GPA or MCAT. As your application is reviewed it will be read by five different people.

By saying this, are they just indicating that it is a closed file interview? Or that your MCAT and GPA are completely thrown out the window with regard to general admissions after receiving a secondary? TBH I'm totally fine with the latter..

If I'm remembering correctly, they said your file has been reviewed either twice or three times before sending an interview invite and then you need two/three additional reviewers to say yes to your file to have a complete total of 5 before you're accepted. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

By saying this, are they just indicating that it is a closed file interview? Or that your MCAT and GPA are completely thrown out the window with regard to general admissions after receiving a secondary? TBH I'm totally fine with the latter..

I was also there Saturday and understood that GPA and MCAT are completely thrown out the window after you get your secondary and never again considered. i could be wrong but that's what i understood.

I was also there Saturday and understood that GPA and MCAT are completely thrown out the window after you get your secondary and never again considered. i could be wrong but that's what i understood.

I think this school is fate for me

I need to vent guys. I have my interview in Seattle tomorrow. I'm from the midwest and had booked my flight way in advance. This morning my direct flight to Seattle got cancelled. So I had to go looking for another way to get to Seattle. Eventually found a new flight with one connection. I made it through one flight and am now in Portland. My second flight to Seattle just got cancelled. So once again I need to find a new flight. On top of that, I received an email from UW that the school was closed today due to snow and may or may not be closed tomorrow as well.

It's been a day of luck! :soexcited:

I need to vent guys. I have my interview in Seattle tomorrow. I'm from the midwest and had booked my flight way in advance. This morning my direct flight to Seattle got cancelled. So I had to go looking for another way to get to Seattle. Eventually found a new flight with one connection. I made it through one flight and am now in Portland. My second flight to Seattle just got cancelled. So once again I need to find a new flight. On top of that, I received an email from UW that the school was closed today due to snow and may or may not be closed tomorrow as well.

Wrong thread

Sucks to hear. Hope you got everything figured out! UW is normal operations tomorrow fyi. If all else fails, only a 3 hr drive to Seattle from Portland.

And man... part of me wishes they took MCAT into consideration... I did well... :ninja:

Reactions: 4 users
As someone who did grade repair - I'm perfectly okay with them not looking at those things haha

As someone who did grade repair - I'm perfectly okay with them not looking at those things haha
As someone who probably should've done grade repair, I too am ok with them not looking at those things

Got an email for an open spot because of a cancellation... It was LITERALLY taken in 2 minutes :inpain:

Wait they sent the interview invite to more than just you and someone else replied sooner?
I think this person already had a previous interview date and WSU sent an email about an earlier interview date that was open which got filled.

For those that have interviewed, how many people do they invite each day? Do they have any group activities that they evaluate, or just tours and presentations outside of the MMI?

For those that have interviewed, how many people do they invite each day? Do they have any group activities that they evaluate, or just tours and presentations outside of the MMI?

24 people each day, no group activities.

So went to book my hotel last night, and low and behold their special applicant discount saved me 3 whole dollars. Had a laugh about that one. It feels weird getting ready to interview again after having my previous 4 in sept/early oct - that seems so long ago at this point

So went to book my hotel last night, and low and behold their special applicant discount saved me 3 whole dollars. Had a laugh about that one. It feels weird getting ready to interview again after having my previous 4 in sept/early oct - that seems so long ago at this point

Ha, what a deal! Is that the Red Lion hotel? There are two hotels that aren't too much more that are right across the street from the campus!

This is the exact issue im having hahaha. My mind had moved on from this interview mindset and now I have to get back into it, it's a struggle.

I hope everyone traveling from the westside of the state for interviews this weekend can A) find a way to make it to Spokane and B) make it safely. :)

Completely closed right now in both directions - there is no way over right now, I think other than going all the way down to 84. Debating grabbing a flight there from SEA for the 17th

Sorry if this has already been covered, but do their MMIs allow notes / pen & paper?

Does the 7 minutes per station include the 2 minutes outside of the room?

Sorry if this has already been covered, but do their MMIs allow notes / pen & paper?

Does the 7 minutes per station include the 2 minutes outside of the room?

They do allow notes. 7 minutes do not include 2 minutes outside the room. I think it was 1 minute to move to the next station, 2 minutes to read the prompt, and 7 minutes discussing.

WSU playing with my heart with the finaid email ...

Anxiously counting down the days ... :boom:

Reactions: 9 users
I have to echo those previous posters that praised this program. The staff/faculty appear to be super excited about starting this school up, and want to give the students a really unique experience with a lot of opportunities for clinical and research exposure. I also find myself torn between going to this school and UW... Not that I have actually been accepted to either. I don't see myself becoming a physician for any sort of prestige, but just want to be really good at treating patients. Not sure which school would actually help me accomplish this better, but both appear to be strong contenders for helping me reach my goal...

Reactions: 7 users
I have to echo those previous posters that praised this program. The staff/faculty appear to be super excited about starting this school up, and want to give the students a really unique experience with a lot of opportunities for clinical and research exposure. I also find myself torn between going to this school and UW... Not that I have actually been accepted to either. I don't see myself becoming a physician for any sort of prestige, but just want to be really good at treating patients. Not sure which school would actually help me accomplish this better, but both appear to be strong contenders for helping me reach my goal...
If you get into both, you should go to UW to open spots at WSU for the UW rejects ;)

II just now. Only spot open was March 24. Very excited.

Reactions: 5 users
So ... bets on when the first acceptances will come out?

While we're at it, maybe we can make some prop bets lol

For the first SDN acceptance post:
Via phone call or email?
Male or female?
GPA above/below 3.7?
MCAT above/below 510?
Spokane/Everett/Vancouver/Tri-Cities First Priority?
Cry or no cry?

I say first acceptance on the 23rd via phone call, female, below 3.7, above 510, Spokane, cry

Obviously I'm bored and killing time...

So ... bets on when the first acceptances will come out?

While we're at it, maybe we can make some prop bets lol

For the first SDN acceptance post:
Via phone call or email?
Male or female?
GPA above/below 3.7?
MCAT above/below 510?
Spokane/Everett/Vancouver/Tri-Cities First Priority?
Cry or no cry?

I say first acceptance on the 23rd via phone call, female, below 3.7, above 510, Spokane, cry

Obviously I'm bored and killing time...
Well they told us at our interview we would be getting an email if we got in.... lol

And if they really don't look at MCAT/GPA after II's, then it's not a fair metric to bet on either.

Anyone else heading over tomorrow?