2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary received 7/11 but I had an issue with a LOR so I wasn't complete until 7/19

I received and submitted my secondary before you but haven't gotten the complete email (despite already sending my MCAT and letters).

I've emailed them already...looks like I'll need to call.

Members don't see this ad.

When did you all submit your secondary?
Secondary submitted 7/6. Received the complete & in review email 7/19.

Sent in my letters via aacomas, but one letter did not have letterhead so I had to re-request/re-enter it on aacomas. Instead of putting more work on the LoR writer who is already technologically challenged, I had her submit the letter to interfolio, and just created a separate entry for the new letter in AACOMAS. Had no issues there.
Apparently AACOMAS makes the LoR writers create an account, and same account cannot be used to resubmit letters if it's missing letterheads.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had an issue with the letterhead as well. The professor mailed it and I'm awaiting confirmation it was received

I had an issue with the letterhead as well. The professor mailed it and I'm awaiting confirmation it was received
I have this issue as well, how did you resent the letter?? to the school or to aacomas??

I have this issue as well, how did you resent the letter?? to the school or to aacomas??

He sent a physical copy in via USPS a week ago from today. It should have been received as we live in a neighboring state (3 hours from the school, no less). I plan on calling tomorrow to see if it was received

He sent a physical copy in via USPS a week ago from today. It should have been received as we live in a neighboring state (3 hours from the school, no less). I plan on calling tomorrow to see if it was received
is there a website where you can follow and/or check your application status in ACOM???

is there a website where you can follow and/or check your application status in ACOM???

Not that I'm aware of, I've been in contact with the office through email before, but I'm calling tomorrow to find out!

Not that I'm aware of, I've been in contact with the office through email before, but I'm calling tomorrow to find out!

I called the other day and had to leave a message. They are having orientation this week, so the staff is busy making sure everything is going smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope to see some of you on Aug 25th! I'm trying to book my flights/hotels today. Anyone have suggestions? I'm flying from midwest. Thinking about going to ATL then either driving or flying to Dothan. Any suggestion is much appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
nope, once you get an II they give you a log in so that you can schedule it. but otherwise there is no portal. the people at admissions are super helpful though and really responsive through email!

Mr. Willis drives the shuttle. He is also the one that basically runs the interview day so feel free to take the shuttle, you'll be there on time.
That's awesome you know him by name! I'm most likely going to stay at the Comfort Inn that's 1mi from ACOM. I know there isn't uber/lyft in the area so just incase if I want to get there without the shuttle, could you tell me how easy it is to get taxi?

Hope to see some of you on Aug 25th! I'm trying to book my flights/hotels today. Anyone have suggestions? I'm flying from midwest. Thinking about going to ATL then either driving or flying to Dothan. Any suggestion is much appreciated!

The drive to Dothan from Atlanta is rather easy if you cut through Opelika

I am flying into and out of pensacola on the 24th/26th, getting there around 2:30 PM. I am willing to share the cost of anyone wants to split cost. Either for hotel or gas/car. Already booked flights and vehicle is about $50 for the split, we can negotiate the hotel still, just PM me. Leaving on the 26th around 3pm.

That's awesome you know him by name! I'm most likely going to stay at the Comfort Inn that's 1mi from ACOM. I know there isn't uber/lyft in the area so just incase if I want to get there without the shuttle, could you tell me how easy it is to get taxi?
There are some taxi services but they aren't just driving around you have to call and request a pickup. The shuttle is really fine to take. Good luck with the interview.

All set for the 25th, so excited to interview and hope to meet some fellow SDN'ers/cool people! Planning to drive ~15 hours each way, God help me.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got my interview reminder email from Bob Willis for next Friday! For those of you who were asking about the shuttle from Comfort Inn and getting there on time, I got this:
"This email is a reminder of your interview with the Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine on Friday, August 4, 2017. We will begin the check-in process at 8:00 a.m. and get started with our first session at 8:45 a.m. (CENTRAL TIME).

We offer a shuttle service from the Comfort Inn that is located on Highway 84 East, one mile from the college. Please let me know if you would like to use this shuttle service. We will pick up at 8:00 a.m."

Anyone interviewing 9/8? I had to take a later date :/

Just got my interview reminder email from Bob Willis for next Friday! For those of you who were asking about the shuttle from Comfort Inn and getting there on time, I got this:
"This email is a reminder of your interview with the Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine on Friday, August 4, 2017. We will begin the check-in process at 8:00 a.m. and get started with our first session at 8:45 a.m. (CENTRAL TIME).

We offer a shuttle service from the Comfort Inn that is located on Highway 84 East, one mile from the college. Please let me know if you would like to use this shuttle service. We will pick up at 8:00 a.m."

Oooooh exciting! Be sure to share how it goes when you get back

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
is it a no-go to mention for the question about life experiences with osteopathic medicine to talk about your time visiting a local DO school? I shadowed a DO student for a day with the shaDO program or whatever and it was great, but I want to be able to say that without talking about the other school?

You don't have to mention Campbell (I assume). Just say you've followed a DO student

not sure if anyone has written this, and I just to call admissions but theyre closed, but if my DO letter is in my committee letter, what do i write for the second reference? I suppose that his information is on the letter that each of the schools will get, so should I just put that?

all my 8/25'ers Congrats!! - looking forward to seeing you guys!
Just booked the Comfort Inn Hotel from 24th-26th :D Who is up for grabbing a drink afterwards? A fellow ACOM student recommended Recovery Room.

Reactions: 2 users
First year here (orientation just ended and we start classes next week)! I was just in your shoes a few months ago and am more than happy to answer any questions you may have! ACOM is an incredible school and everyone here from the administration to the professors and staff are passionate about what they do and care deeply about the students and their success. You'll see that reflected on interview day, but you really have picked a fantastic program to apply to! There are a lot of reasons why ACOM is special but to sum it up, this program is one in a million and that has become even more clear throughout orientation week for us first years. I look forward to seeing you guys and I'll be sure to wave on interview day :) Best wishes to everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
First year here (orientation just ended and we start classes next week)! I was just in your shoes a few months ago and am more than happy to answer any questions you may have! ACOM is an incredible school and everyone here from the administration to the professors and staff are passionate about what they do and care deeply about the students and their success. You'll see that reflected on interview day, but you really have picked a fantastic program to apply to! There are a lot of reasons why ACOM is special but to sum it up, this program is one in a million and that has become even more clear throughout orientation week for us first years. I look forward to seeing you guys and I'll be sure to wave on interview day :) Best wishes to everyone!

Congratulations!
Can you comment a little bit about diversity within the student body?

Congratulations!
Can you comment a little bit about diversity within the student body?
So far, it seems that within my class there are people from all over the country and from all different backgrounds. The majority of the class is from FL, AL, TX, and CA with many other states represented also! Our class overall seems very diverse!

Could you give any information regarding what your schedule looks like? How often you're on campus, how often tests are, etc?

How was your interview? I'm interviewing on 8/11 and feeling a little nervous (I tend to babble when I interview). Did it seem relaxed to you? Any curve ball questions?

Could you give any information regarding what your schedule looks like? How often you're on campus, how often tests are, etc?

On average, we have lecture 8am-12pm, an hour or so for lunch break, then we come back in the afternoon for anatomy lab or OPP. On some weeks we have TBL (team based learning activity in small groups) to reinforce the material. We also have DSA's (designated student assignments) that are built into the schedule but are completed individually at home, not in class.

How was your interview? I'm interviewing on 8/11 and feeling a little nervous (I tend to babble when I interview). Did it seem relaxed to you? Any curve ball questions?
My interview was very relaxed. It wasn't just a casual conversation, but I wasn't grilled by any means. I had two wonderful interviewers and thoroughly enjoyed it! It's 2-on-1 for 30 minutes. I was asked all of the basic resume questions, plus asked to give examples of how I handled conflict in the past, how I've shown leadership, etc. Shadowing came up as well (I had experience shadowing OMT). I was asked if I had any down time because of my busy resume so what I do in my free time came up. Turned out that my interviewer is a fellow lover of the Game of Thrones books so the interview ended on a light note. I do know a couple of people who were pressed about the history of the osteopathic profession and use of OMM but that was a rare case.

My interview was very relaxed. It wasn't just a casual conversation, but I wasn't grilled by any means. I had two wonderful interviewers and thoroughly enjoyed it! It's 2-on-1 for 30 minutes. I was asked all of the basic resume questions, plus asked to give examples of how I handled conflict in the past, how I've shown leadership, etc. Shadowing came up as well (I had experience shadowing OMT). I was asked if I had any down time because of my busy resume so what I do in my free time came up. Turned out that my interviewer is a fellow lover of the Game of Thrones books so the interview ended on a light note. I do know a couple of people who were pressed about the history of the osteopathic profession and use of OMM but that was a rare case.
Wow thank you so much so was extremely helpful!!

You guys sure like dressing up your pets.

Reactions: 2 users
Just finished reading "The Medical School Interview: Winning Strategies From Admissions Faculty" by Samir Desai and Ranjani Katta! I found this to be a super helpful book if anyone is looking for any resources while preparing for interviews- it had been mentioned on SDN a couple times so I decided to give it a shot. Highly recommend it!

Just finished reading "The Medical School Interview: Winning Strategies From Admissions Faculty" by Samir Desai and Ranjani Katta! I found this to be a super helpful book if anyone is looking for any resources while preparing for interviews- it had been mentioned on SDN a couple times so I decided to give it a shot. Highly recommend it!
I watched a "How to do a Med School Interview" type lecture given by Oregon State, and the presenter mentioned if you're single and asked the question: "Tell me about your family?", to not mention your parents/siblings at all, and to just respond with "I don't have a family, but I hope someday to have my own etc...". He explained it was meant to convey that you were you own independent person apart from your parents and so on. Did your book happen to mention anything about this?

I understand his logic, but I think my family is alright (lol), and so I thought that response might seem a bit hardcore.

Here's the vid for those who are curious:

I watched a "How to do a Med School Interview" type lecture given by Oregon State, and the presenter mentioned if you're single and asked the question: "Tell me about your family?", to not mention your parents/siblings at all, and to just respond with "I don't have a family, but I hope someday to have my own etc...". He explained it was meant to convey that you were you own independent person apart from your parents and so on. Did your book happen to mention anything about this?

I understand his logic, but I think my family is alright (lol), and so I thought that response might seem a bit hardcore.

Omg I saw that too and while he's right, my family is literally made up of my parents and siblings though...but I guess saying you'll have a family of your own one day is a good thing to say.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Sort of... it does have a section on less than appropriate questions such as this one. It was pertaining mainly to asking about work-life balance (most commonly used with women asking about their plans for children, etc) but it said to just answer the question calmly and to explain how any familial plans you have do not detract from your commitment to becoming a physician. I would imagine that your parents & siblings should only come up in discussing your background info and history, and not to make as much of an impact in regards to the future of your career.

Omg I saw that too and while he's right, my family is literally made up of my parents and siblings though...but I guess saying you'll have a family of your own one day is a good thing to say.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Sort of... it does have a section on less than appropriate questions such as this one. It was pertaining mainly to asking about work-life balance (most commonly used with women asking about their plans for children, etc) but it said to just answer the question calmly and to explain how any familial plans you have do not detract from your commitment to becoming a physician. I would imagine that your parents & siblings should only come up in discussing your background info and history, and not to make as much of an impact in regards to the future of your career.

Okay, thanks for the feedback you two. It makes more sense the more I think about it, I suppose.

Okay, thanks for the feedback you two. It makes more sense the more I think about it, I suppose.
I watched that video as well, and personally I didn't really agree with his answer. I plan on saying something along the lines of, "Well, right now I am a single person, but in the future I would look forward to getting married. I also have my four siblings, and my parents too." I'm sorry but family is family...I think any normal sane person would think you're weird if they asked about your family and all you said is "Well I'm single right now, so it's just me." Just my opinion.

Reactions: 4 users
I would just mention my wife and what she does, and briefly bring up my parents and two siblings.