2017-2018 Albert Einstein College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You know, I'm not sure whether or not they give secure/individual links for each applicant...But either way, there isn't too much you'll have to fill out. Like others have said, it is one of the shortest secondaries. If you want, I can PM you a PDF of my app (with some things blurred out obviously) so you can see the questions beforehand!

I finally emailed their office (calling is pointless), so I wouldn't mind seeing a copy of the PDF - just in case I need to explain part of something. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That sounds fine to me! Mine was, "In The New York Area, Interview Request," but the impact of such a small thing as the title of your email is negligible (unless it's "B****I'm in the area gimme an interview"), so I wouldn't fret too much.
How far away should you live to justify an in the area request? I am considering sending one to some other NYC schools, but I live in Massachusetts and don't want to sound ridiculous; is MA -> NY reasonable?

Got the Secondary request today! I'm filling it out this evening and sending it in. Bring it, Irma. I may be offline for a few days starting mid-Sunday.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the Secondary request today! I'm filling it out this evening and sending it in. Bring it, Irma. I may be offline for a few days starting mid-Sunday.
Good luck getting it done today and stay safe!!

I'm ready to turn this sucker in, but I'm in a bit of quandary about the Letters of Recommendation. I have a pre-health advising committee from my undergraduate days. They collected all of my letters and created a Letter PACKET, but because my credits are too old, they weren't able to actually write a committee letter. I don't see a situation where I can mention this, so I'm stuck between wondering if I should select that I have a committee letter (because they will put a cover letter with everything) or if I should say I used career services (which isn't really correct, either). I'll email tonight and probably wait until tomorrow to submit. I think I'll be able to do it over the phone since I have completed all of the other questions and submitted my payment.

Good luck to all you with interviews starting next week! Feel free to message me if you guys need help with anything *MS1 trying to procrastinate on the first midterm coming up...

Last edited:
I'm ready to turn this sucker in, but I'm in a bit of quandary about the Letters of Recommendation. I have a pre-health advising committee from my undergraduate days. They collected all of my letters and created a Letter PACKET, but because my credits are too old, they weren't able to actually write a committee letter. I don't see a situation where I can mention this, so I'm stuck between wondering if I should select that I have a committee letter (because they will put a cover letter with everything) or if I should say I used career services (which isn't really correct, either). I'll email tonight and probably wait until tomorrow to submit. I think I'll be able to do it over the phone since I have completed all of the other questions and submitted my payment.
I think you have a good plan here. I'd email/call the Einstein's admissions office, but I have a feeling they're going to be okay with it; they seem lenient, and willing to work with applicants on certain "requirements" (such as letters). Submit!!

I think you have a good plan here. I'd email/call the Einstein's admissions office, but I have a feeling they're going to be okay with it; they seem lenient, and willing to work with applicants on certain "requirements" (such as letters). Submit!!

They said I could choose either option. I think it's ready to go. Just one more secondary after this one!

I submitted secondary august 2nd and everything else was complete before then but I still didn't receive complete email. Should I contact admissions?

I submitted secondary august 2nd and everything else was complete before then but I still didn't receive complete email. Should I contact admissions?

I thought I read that they take 6 to 8 weeks to mark you as completed. I could be wrong, though! I would give it just a few more weeks if that is the case.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I submitted the same day and was just marked complete yesterday. So hopefully you'll hear back soon!

submitted august 9th, just received the complete email now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted 8/3 and haven't received a complete email either... I'm planning on waiting till end of this week then contacting them

I submitted 8/3 and haven't received a complete email either... I'm planning on waiting till end of this week then contacting them
Yeah I just got complete email today. You'll probably be getting it soon.

II!!!!!!!!! Too reach school!!!!!!! No way!!!

Stats LizzyM 65-67 Complete date end of July!! IS

Reactions: 12 users
I was complete August 2nd, just got an email saying I was complete.

It honestly doesn't make any sense how it takes almost two months to get marked complete here....kind of makes me regret applying. And you can't even call them to discuss anything, because there is a voicemail that immediately tells you to email them.

i submitted 7/30 and was not emailed that I was complete until 9/5. im curious as to the reason for this delay in their process.

just please give me an interview

Interviewed here last week. The school really exceeded my expectations. Highly recommend using Juno for transit over uber. It's much cheaper.

II just now! Complete 7/24 and from the tristate area. I can't focus in class anymore lol.

Reactions: 7 users
II just now! Complete 7/24 and from the tristate area. I can't focus in class anymore lol.
If I had 16 IIs at this point, I dont think I would be able to focus at all this whole year haha

Reactions: 7 users
Hi! Current MS1 here - yes, Einstein is very receptive to updates.
Has this changed from last year?
Found this on their website:
"{We ask that you not send any updates after your application is completed, unless requested by the Admissions Committee. Anything that you would like to send prior to the completion of your application should be sent typed in the body of a WORD document, or email. We cannot accept pdf files.} "

Finally received a complete email today! Secondary submitted 8/4. Apparently they take forever to mark you as complete

What's the interview structure like at Einstein? Any tips?

Oh shoot, we get complete emails? I submitted my application on 8/7.... I guess I should be getting a complete email soon-ish.

"{We ask that you not send any updates after your application is completed, unless requested by the Admissions Committee. Anything that you would like to send prior to the completion of your application should be sent typed in the body of a WORD document, or email. We cannot accept pdf files.} "
Never mind, I submitted an update and they accepted it.

What's the interview structure like at Einstein? Any tips?
Interviewed here this cycle. Everyone was super friendly and welcoming. Interview was 1 hour with a member of the admissions committee, but I would call it more of a conversation than an interview. I definitely wasn't grilled on any parts of my application and did not receive any curveball questions. My interviewee had clearly read my file and just asked me to talk about some of the portions she found interesting. As for advice I would just say read over your AMCAS primary, personal statement, and secondary answers (if you needed to elaborate on any of the yes/no questions) and most importantly be genuine. There is no reason to be nervous as they do a great job of making you as comfortable as possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed here this cycle. Everyone was super friendly and welcoming. Interview was 1 hour with a member of the admissions committee, but I would call it more of a conversation than an interview. I definitely wasn't grilled on any parts of my application and did not receive any curveball questions. My interviewee had clearly read my file and just asked me to talk about some of the portions she found interesting. As for advice I would just say read over your AMCAS primary, personal statement, and secondary answers (if you needed to elaborate on any of the yes/no questions) and most importantly be genuine. There is no reason to be nervous as they do a great job of making you as comfortable as possible.

Awesome. Any questions about healthcare/other health crises at hand?

Awesome. Any questions about healthcare/other health crises at hand?

My interviewer actually asked me my take on what I believe were the good and bad qualities about where healthcare is heading. Other than that it was a very relaxed and conversational interview!

Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster, here. I'm excited to begin this journey with ya'll and I was hoping to benefit from more of your collective wisdom.

I'm on radio silence from all but one school so far, drafting update letters and wondering what might be considered a "significant" update. Specifically, would receiving a financial award/scholarship to attend a major science conference be significant enough, or should I wait until after the conference?

Thanks in advance!

Could you comment on the general feel of the Bronx? like hipster? Dangerous? tons of college students? Older more working class vibe? Very social or do you go elsewhere in NYC on weekends etc? Could you describe what kind of place the average student lives in?

Sorry for all of the questions, I've been to NYC a few times but never really outside of Manhattan for long periods
Hey there!! Sorry for the very delayed response, we've had a couple tests recently so I've been quite busy.

Ah the Bronx. It is not Manhattan, and it is not Brooklyn. It's definitely a working-class borough, but the area immediately surrounding Einstein is a little bit "nicer" (i.e. we have a Starbucks and an actual chain grocery store.) Parts of the Bronx can be dangerous, but our area is generally safe. I don't mind living here, but there's not a ton to do nearby. There's a couple bars and a few restaurants, but don't get too excited about it. I LOVE living close to Manhattan though! That's pretty much the whole reason I came here. It's kind of nice because you have no distractions by the city when you need to work, but you can easily get down there on weekends to relax.

Pretty much everyone lives in the on-campus apartments. It's super convenient, super inexpensive, and you get to live close to all of your classmates! It's great because you can just walk across the street to the library or whatever when you want to study outside of your apartment.

How was your impression of Einstein's M1 curriculum?
Hi! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I thought the M1 curriculum was fine. M1 material is just not that exciting to me (biochem, anatomy, etc), but that would be true at any school. It's just stuff you have to learn. I do like that Einstein gives you about a month and a half before anatomy starts, so you have time to adjust before stuff really gets crazy.

Does anyone know what's particularly unique about Einstein? I know they have killer research that I"m interested in, but what else sets it apart? I'm trying to think about what I would say for the inevitable "Why Einstein?" question.

In addition, does anyone know if Einstein is willing to fund students to pursue research at a different institution? Either for a summer or even a year.

I know that Einstein will fund students for summers at Einstein, though.

Last edited:
Secondary submitted 7/18, Complete 8/2, still sitting in silence. :(

Almost had a heart attack when I saw they emailed me......but it was just to tell me my app is complete. Submitted 8/4.

Reactions: 1 users

I'm not sure - I personally only sent updates after my interview. Dean Kerrigan was the best faculty member to be in contact with throughout the admissions process.

Just got the complete email and I submitted early August. Now I feel kind of peeved. They charged me $120 for a secondary and no one even looked at my application for 2 months?

Just got the complete email and I submitted early August. Now I feel kind of peeved. They charged me $120 for a secondary and no one even looked at my application for 2 months?

Lol damn dude, chill. You and 8,000 other people. No one owes you anything in this process

Lol damn dude, chill. You and 8,000 other people. No one owes you anything in this process

I'm just saying it kind of leaves a bitter taste in your mouth when they have one of the most expensive secondary fees and they're not even efficient about the process. It gives the impression that they're just happily taking student's money and throwing us into a pile. I know I don't deserve anything, but it sucks when I've heard back from other schools in less time before they even mark complete.

Is there somwhere to check the status of my application to see if it's complete? I submitted about a month ago and haven't heard anything in terms of emails. I don't see anywhere to check online to see my application's status. Would it be ok to call the or just wait it out?

I received my complete email about a month later. I would just wait a few more weeks because for some people it took almost 1.5/2 months. It may just vary, then call if you're still concerned.

Is there somwhere to check the status of my application to see if it's complete? I submitted about a month ago and haven't heard anything in terms of emails. I don't see anywhere to check online to see my application's status. Would it be ok to call the or just wait it out?
Submitted August 8th and still not marked complete. This school just takes their time, I guess.

II as well! Complete late July. Dates available starting from late November.

Reactions: 3 users