2017-2018 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To those who have got the email with the next steps, is that what contains the paperwork to start our background check?

Members don't see this ad.

To all of those accepted, start your immunization paperwork early. You only need to fill out one copy of the form and then attach it for each immunization section. Basically fill out immunization form, print your "physical" form, gather your immunization records, and go to your primary care doc to have it all vetted. Your physician will do a brief physical and sign off on all of your documentation. If any immunizations are non-standard or incomplete, expect headaches and delays.

Took me 3 months and 6 visits to providers to straighten mine out last time. Every weird thing that could go wrong did :D

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For all future applicants and people that are interested in this school: this school is legit. I interviewed here last week and let me tell you. I went there with 0 expectations but came out of the interview wanting to go here if they offer me a seat. The staff are happy people that are enthusiastic and chill, you'd think you're talking with your friends and not the associate dean of the school. The facility is only one building but it is top notch when it comes to technology.

Pros:
- cheap tuition compared to other DO schools (43K)
- established rotation sites with the biggest hospital systems in AR.
- Great facility, clean, with great atmosphere.
- Video recorded lectures that will be uploaded 24hr after the lecture date.
- 24 hour access to the building
- Students seemed happy and content with their education.
- Responsive faculty, and they're open to change things around based on student feedback.
- Amazing anatomy lab with a great view (4 students per cadaver)
- Since the school is about 15 mins away from downtown Fort Smith, the school has an amazing student housing options right next to the school with a fitness center+ pool.
- Huge community support

Cons:
- Mandatory attendance
- Dress code
- Mandatory rural/primary care rotation for a month
- Fort Smith is a smallish town with limited options for fun things to do (I am from Southern California for comparison).
- Library is TINY

Reactions: 7 users
So is it a sure bet that if I interviewed on October 6th and haven't heard anything then I did not get in?

I don't think you can assume that. And even if it's not an acceptance, it may quite possibly be a waitlist spot. Since it's such a new school there is a very good chance being waitlisted will lead to an acceptance. Keep your head up. Hope you hear from them soon!

Reactions: 1 users
For all future applicants and people that are interested in this school: this school is legit. I interviewed here last week and let me tell you. I went there with 0 expectations but came out of the interview wanting to go here if they offer me a seat. The staff are happy people that are enthusiastic and chill, you'd think you're talking with your friends and not the associate dean of the school. The facility is only one building but it is top notch when it comes to technology.

Pros:
- cheap tuition compared to other DO schools (43K)
- established rotation sites with the biggest hospital systems in AR.
- Great facility, clean, with great atmosphere.
- Video recorded lectures that will be uploaded 24hr after the lecture date.
- 24 hour access to the building
- Students seemed happy and content with their education.
- Responsive faculty, and they're open to change things around based on student feedback.
- Amazing anatomy lab with a great view (4 students per cadaver)
- Since the school is about 15 mins away from downtown Fort Smith, the school has an amazing student housing options right next to the school with a fitness center+ pool.
- Huge community support

Cons:
- Mandatory attendance
- Dress code
- Mandatory rural/primary care rotation for a month
- Fort Smith is a smallish town with limited options for fun things to do (I am from Southern California for comparison).
- Library is TINY
Same. I'm really excited to hear back.

Offered an acceptance, but will be declining the offer. ARCOM seems like a great school with a fantastic staff that really wants their students to succeed. I hope this helps one of you that are waiting!

Anyone still waiting on a possible II offer?

I don't think you can assume that. And even if it's not an acceptance, it may quite possibly be a waitlist spot. Since it's such a new school there is a very good chance being waitlisted will lead to an acceptance. Keep your head up. Hope you hear from them soon!

You were spot on! I got "waitlisted" guess all I can do now is wait it out. I thought the interview went really well too!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone want to meet up Oct 30th for dinner? Going to be in town for my interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone from 10/3 interviews or close to that date receive an email yet post acceptance?

Acceptance call today at 4:00pm (interviewed 10/17)! I'm still in shock.

Reactions: 6 users
No calls for the 10/20 group?

You were spot on! I got "waitlisted" guess all I can do now is wait it out. I thought the interview went really well too!

I got waitlisted too. Got the letter today. Hopefully we still get it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anymore calls for the 10/13 group? Hoping there will be more calls tomorrow :(

Reactions: 3 users
I just made this account today to post that I was accepted! Interviewed 10/17. Received a phone call today around 3:30pm from Dr. Longley. The faculty and staff at this school all seem incredible. Had a wonderful interview experience. Excited about ARCOM!

Reactions: 4 users
JUST ACCEPTED. I'M BAWLING MY EYES OUT. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

Edit: I interviewed 10/13

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
To those who have got the email with the next steps, is that what contains the paperwork to start our background check?
I called and they told me that all of those things, background check, etc., will not start until after Jan 1.

So if people from 10/17 already got their calls, I can assume I didn't get accepted if I didn't get the call? Or do they spread out the calls over multiple days?

So if people from 10/17 already got their calls, I can assume I didn't get accepted if I didn't get the call? Or do they spread out the calls over multiple days?
Sometimes they spread it out over a couple days. Also, if it's not an acceptance there is a good chance it is a spot on the wait list which is almost as good as an acceptance here.

Giving up my seat! hope one of you guys get it! Really loved the school, but got accepted somewhere closer to home. Good luck to you all :)

Still waiting on an II?
Hopefully it is not too late yet!

When did you submit your secondary?
I submitted my secondary about 2 weeks ago but my new MCAT score came out. How long does it usually take for them to get back to you?

I was not offered an interview spot about a month ago, but after my new MCAT score, they gave me secondary.

Hi, I'm interviewing October 31st. I was wondering if someone could provide me any info on the types of questions asked, interview style, and what knowledge we are expected to have about the school and location. Thanks so much! Super nervous but excited! :)

Those of us who interviewed on 10/13 and are still waiting I think it’s safe to say we are waiting on a waitlist or rejection letter at this point. :help:

Hi, I'm interviewing October 31st. I was wondering if someone could provide me any info on the types of questions asked, interview style, and what knowledge we are expected to have about the school and location. Thanks so much! Super nervous but excited! :)
Everyones interview is slightly different. Definitely know how to answer questions like why ARCOM, why osteopathic medicine, why medicine, etc. Think about some major clinical/life experiences you have had and how you can tie them into answering interview questions. I had one ethical question in my interview. That you can't really prepare for so just answer it the best way you can. They are looking for sincerity. Just be you! They are all super nice and will make you feel very comfortable. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Everyones interview is slightly different. Definitely know how to answer questions like why ARCOM, why osteopathic medicine, why medicine, etc. Think about some major clinical/life experiences you have had and how you can tie them into answering interview questions. I had one ethical question in my interview. That you can't really prepare for so just answer it the best way you can. They are looking for sincerity. Just be you! They are all super nice and will make you feel very comfortable. Good luck!
What is the style? MMI, traditional, etc.? Is it blind/closed or open (personal statement, ECs, etc.) ? Thanks :)

Those of us who interviewed on 10/13 and are still waiting I think it’s safe to say we are waiting on a waitlist or rejection letter at this point. :help:
I was at the school last Friday and the committee was meeting around 4:30 in the afternoon to make decisions, so I think maybe you should wait a few more days or at least after tomorrow as some ppl received acceptance calls around 12-20 days post interview.

What is the style? MMI, traditional, etc.? Is it blind/closed or open (personal statement, ECs, etc.) ? Thanks :)
It was a traditional 2 on 1. One person will be a faculty member and the other will be a member of the community (mine if I remember correctly was a science teacher). Closed file. VERY relaxed.

Singerpremed. A couple of us are meeting up the day before for dinner if you want to join.

I never received a call, just an acceptance letter in the mail

Declining my II here for Nov 12th. Hope the spot helps one of you fine folks :)

For those of you with upcoming interviews, I am a student at ARCOM and have a house right behind the school in a brand new edition that I live in by myself. I have an extra bedroom I am offering to interviewing students for your stay here. for $40/night you'll have a private bathroom and a comfortable queen sized bed. I can also offer breakfast in the morning and interview advice/insight on our great school! Must have your own transportation! Text me for more information: 918-230-9335

Last edited:
I'm interested.
For those of you with upcoming interviews, I am a student at ARCOM and have a house right behind the school in a brand new edition that I live in by myself. I have an extra bedroom I am offering to interviewing students for your stay here. for $50/night you'll have a private bathroom and a comfortable queen sized bed. I can also offer breakfast in the morning and interview advice/insight on our great school! Must have your own transportation! Text me for more information: 918-230-9335