2017-2018 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlist letter (10/13 interview)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would any waitlisted folks mind letting us know your stats?

Reactions: 1 users
Just a silly question, generally how big is a waitlist at any school. I've heard that for ARCOM last year almost all of the students on the waitlist got accepted to the school, I know this year is gonna be different. But percentage wise what are the chances to be pulled off of waitlist and get admitted? I would appreciate your responses fellow premeds and med students.

MCAT 501, SGPA: 3.4 cGPA: 3.5
Do you feel that your interview went well? Because your stats are good. I don't think the waitlist decisions that are being handed out are due to stats. It's more so about the interview and how does one match up with the school mission.

Do you feel that your interview went well? Because your stats are good. I don't think the waitlist decisions that are being handed out are due to stats. It's more so about the interview and how does one match up with the school mission.
The interview went well and I was myself and answered all the questions on the interview and showed my genuine interest in the school. I just hope that I get in

Reactions: 1 user
Would any waitlisted folks mind letting us know your stats?

I was waitlisted probably because of my low MCAT score. I have a slightly above average GPA with a decent amount of extracurriculars and tons of paid clinical experience.

I was waitlisted probably because of my low MCAT score. I have a slightly above average GPA with a decent amount of extracurriculars and tons of paid clinical experience.
It just doesn't make sense to invite someone for an interview when their stats don't meet the school expectations and hand them a waitlist spot. It's not fair to the student and the amount of money spent for traveling. I hope you get in here or somewhere else :)

It just doesn't make sense to invite someone for an interview when their stats don't meet the school expectations and hand them a waitlist spot. It's not fair to the student and the amount of money spent for traveling. I hope you get in here or somewhere else :)

Yeah, I agree. I don't think the waitlist is because of stats. It also may not be because of a lousy interview; it may be merely aligning with the school mission. For example, if they don't feel you are going to stay in Arkansas after you graduate then that's a big red flag.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my interview I had very specific answers for why osteopathic medicine, why family medicine, and we also talked extensively about personal matters (which I brought up). For example, I talked about my marriage and how I felt Ft Smith would be a great community to raise a family in. They asked me an ethical question that hit really close to home, so I was able to answer it sincerely. I cracked a couple jokes when appropriate, but also made sure they knew I was serious about medicine. I made sure to make eye contact with both my interviewers when I was answering their questions. I also sent a thank you email directly to my interviewers two days after where I mentioned specific things we had discussed and how I was looking forward to getting to know them better come July.

Not sure if others who were accepted had similar experiences. But I think the interview is what made it for me.

Reactions: 3 users
For example, if they don't feel you are going to stay in Arkansas after you graduate then that's a big red flag.

I don't believe this is true. I remember Dr. Fudge specifically stating that he knew many students would not end up practicing in Arkansas, but that ARCOM wanted its students to carry the mission along with them to wherever they end up practicing in the future. I didn't mention wanting to practice in Arkansas at all, actually haha.. I think more so than anything after the interview, regional bias plays more of a factor when deciding acceptance/waitlist/rejection. That's just my thinking.

I don't believe this is true. I remember Dr. Fudge specifically stating that he knew many students would not end up practicing in Arkansas, but that ARCOM wanted its students to carry the mission along with them to wherever they end up practicing in the future. I didn't mention wanting to practice in Arkansas at all, actually haha.. I think more so than anything after the interview, regional bias plays more of a factor when deciding acceptance/waitlist/rejection. That's just my thinking.

I'm sure regional bias has a role in it, but a big part of their mission is to help with the massive physician shortage in Arkansas. I'm from the west coast and got accepted so I don't think regional bias is that big with the school. Dr. Fudge, of course, understands that everyone won't stay there but the goal is probably to find the people who are more likely to stay in Arkansas or surrounding areas. Who really knows though, it's really just all a guessing game on what they are looking for. haha

I have only a debit card and I'm 23 not 25
Try Avis or Hertz, they will take debit cards but you'd have to make a refundable deposit of about $350 and you'll pay a fee for being under 25. I'd check with each and every company in the airport.

Worst case scenario try to catch a Greyhound bus from memphis to fort smith.

Try Avis or Hertz, they will take debit cards but you'd have to make a refundable deposit of about $350 and you'll pay a fee for being under 25. I'd check with each and every company in the airport.

Worst case scenario try to catch a Greyhound bus from memphis to fort smith.
I'm taking a bus to little Rock and then Uber to Fort Smith. Thing is they require a credit check but I'll give a call to be sure

How long after submitting the primary did you hear anything back regarding secondaries, interviews, etc. ?

I'm taking a bus to little Rock and then Uber to Fort Smith. Thing is they require a credit check but I'll give a call to be sure
It's also a hard pull on your credit so it'll ding your score a bit.

Interviewed 10/17. Got waitlisted. Loved the place an interview went well. I'd love to go here, so fingers crossed and good luck to those that are on the wait list as well. I think we got on the waitlist pretty early because it's still October. Good luck to everyone, I'm pretty happy I even got waitlisted cuz my grades suck haha.

Reactions: 4 users
When was the last wave of II? Still hoping to get one here.

Credit so bad it don't matter. I can't even get a pass on it. That's the issue. But I think Ill get to little Rock and get an Uber or taxi. I can't schedule an Uber for some reason. I think Cuz I'm for from the pick up.

Just for anyone else who might run into a similar issue (with not being 21 but needing a rental car), If you are a AAA member, you're able to get ridiculously good deals on rental cars, plus they waive the "under 25 fee". It costs $60 to be a member, plus you get all of the sweet benefits they offer. It's something I've used for interviews that ended up saving me a lot more than 60 bucks!

Just got the acceptance call from Dr. Fudge. Interviewed on October 20th. I loved this school and what they have to offer, so I'm glad they considered me for a spot.

Reactions: 12 users
Just got the acceptance call from Dr. Fudge. Interviewed on October 20th. I loved this school and what they have to offer, so I'm glad they considered me for a spot.
Interviewed the same day! Really hoping for an acceptance phone call today! So nerve racking!

Congratulations, I also interviewed on the 20th so now I am waiting for my phone to ring like this
29qi7ow.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the call from the dean letting me know I'm accepted and it's official!!! I interviewed 10/24 somebody pinch me!!!! Gosh I've waited years to make this post. Hang in there guys it'll happen! :love::clap::soexcited:

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted around 10:30 today with a phone call from Dr. Fudge! Really appreciated the emphasis on community here and I think it would be an awesome fit! Good luck to everyone else! Interviewed on 10/20 as well!

Reactions: 6 users
Really wish one of these phone calls would come my way today!! I really really want to go here and felt at home. Starting to look like I was either waitlisted or rejected it seems

Really wish one of these phone calls would come my way today!! I really really want to go here and felt at home. Starting to look like I was either waitlisted or rejected it seems
I got my call at 7:00 pm. It's only 1:30!

Reactions: 2 users
I got my call at 7:00 pm. It's only 1:30!
Just hard not to get discouraged when people that interviewed the same day as me and even after me have already received their phone calls. And with today being Halloween, it just makes me think that they are going to make all the calls earlier in the day rather than spread out because they might have kids or grandkids to trick or treat with. Who knows though! I've come to learn applying logic to anything dealing with this entire process doesn't usually work lol

Just hard not to get discouraged when people that interviewed the same day as me and even after me have already received their phone calls. And with today being Halloween, it just makes me think that they are going to make all the calls earlier in the day rather than spread out because they might have kids or grandkids to trick or treat with. Who knows though! I've come to learn applying logic to anything dealing with this entire process doesn't usually work lol
The same thing happened to me. I'm pretty sure I was last to be called that day. I was very discouraged until I got my phone call. They also have been known to spread out calls over two days! Just try not to worry, and do your best to enjoy Halloween :)

The same thing happened to me. I'm pretty sure I was last to be called that day. I was very discouraged until I got my phone call. They also have been known to spread out calls over two days! Just try not to worry, and do your best to enjoy Halloween :)
Thanks! I will do my best! I don't care how or when I get accepted as long as I get accepted!

Just got the call from the dean letting me know I'm accepted and it's official!!! I interviewed 10/24 somebody pinch me!!!! Gosh I've waited years to make this post. Hang in there guys it'll happen! :love::clap::soexcited:

I got accepted too and I interviewed on 10/24! Mind sending me a message so we can chat about who we are lol?! Congrats!

Reactions: 7 users
Do you guys know if there is a fb page for students starting in 2018?

Thanks! I will do my best! I don't care how or when I get accepted as long as I get accepted!

Got an acceptance call at 4:30 today. Don’t lose hope! Looks like they’re spreading it out.

Seems like the class is getting filled quick? anyone accepted mind sharing their stats?

Still have not received a call, it's nerve wrecking :(