2017-2018 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
skin in the game, it should cost something to occupy a seat

There is absolutely NO reserved residency slots. You are not even guaranteed an interview. You may be more likely to get an interview from knowing the staff there but you aren't guaranteed anything.

yes

That's what I figured, it seemed to be strange a concept so I figured I misunderstood. BTW I see your location is Galt's Gulch. Can you speak to John for me and see if I can take up residence there? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! This may seem like a strange question, but for the ones that have already been accepted, did you receive a t-shirt from CUSOM?

Hey everyone! This may seem like a strange question, but for the ones that have already been accepted, did you receive a t-shirt from CUSOM?
Yep. Washed it, put it in the dryer on high heat and now its a crop top.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All-- I am interviewing in 3 weeks and was wondering if anyone could give pointers of what types of questions were asked in the interview :) I'm so so anxious as this is my top choice and really want to be prepared!

Reactions: 1 users
Interview day was super chill -- they really work hard to calm your nerves so I wouldn't worry too much. Interviews were very conversational and pretty standard. Be prepared with examples that will show leadership, team work, communication skills, etc. That being said, I really did not have any curveballs, but I know a few people were asked healthcare policy questions. I think your thought process and reasoning ability matters more than your actual answer, so if given a difficult question, I would talk your way through the possibilities/options/sides before just being like "X"
Thank you so much!! Ugh hoping for no policy questions!!

Just gave up my seat, hope someone gets it who really wants it! Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
They met this morning to make decisions but are unable to release them until the week of Thanksgiving

I interview on Nov. 7. If decisions are being made within 4-6 weeks, do you guys think I will know by Dec. 14? I have to put a school deposit down by that date, but if I get accepted here I would choose this school over it. I don't have the money to drop 2k on one deposit just to drop it for this one if accepted. What would you guys do?

I interview on Nov. 7. If decisions are being made within 4-6 weeks, do you guys think I will know by Dec. 14? I have to put a school deposit down by that date, but if I get accepted here I would choose this school over it. I don't have the money to drop 2k on one deposit just to drop it for this one if accepted. What would you guys do?

I've heard of someone in a similar situation that emailed the school (Campbell in your case) after their interview and made a combined letter of intent/explanation of the situation. Something along the lines of "Campbell is my first choice, would attend if accepted, blah blah blah, but I have this other deposit due. Is it possible to hear back before X date? Thank you for your consideration, etc."

It worked for that person but it was a different school, so who knows if Campbell would be amenable.

Wait till Dec 13 and pay the deposit then if you still haven't heard back

Same situation here. Accepted to a number of schools and I know for sure that if I get accepted to CUSOM that I'd attend it (unless I get off the MD waitlist). I just don't want to fork out 2k, then a week later burn another 2k lol.

Same situation here. Accepted to a number of schools and I know for sure that if I get accepted to CUSOM that I'd attend it (unless I get off the MD waitlist). I just don't want to fork out 2k, then a week later burn another 2k lol.
Yeah I mean I don't even have the money to fork over. I have enough for one school lol

Members don't see this ad :)
They met this morning to make decisions but are unable to release them until the week of Thanksgiving

Interesting. Do you know if this is for your specific interview date or just all interview dates without a response so far? Mine was one month ago and I’d be surprised if they haven’t met at all until just now. (although it’s possible)

Interviewed recently and totally sold on this school. The curriculum seems fantastic, the facilities are truly top notch... and somehow, I'm looking forward to mandatory lecture

Seems like deliberations took place this morning but I wish there was a way I could send a LOI to make sure I'm in the accepted pile. Having been to a couple MD schools, I could honestly say that I could see myself being more successful at a school like Campbell (than even perhaps some of its allopathic counterparts).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I interviewed 10/16 and they told us we'd hear back by 11/10. Is that still right or now it's the week of Thanksgiving?

I interviewed 10/16 and they told us we'd hear back by 11/10. Is that still right or now it's the week of Thanksgiving?
I can say they are behind since I was supposed to hear by 10/27 and have heard nothing.

I can say they are behind since I was supposed to hear by 10/27 and have heard nothing.

That's a bummer. They told us if they were running behind that they would email us and let us know but I guess they're just swamped so they didn't get to that for you. Hopefully you hear soon!!

Interesting. Do you know if this is for your specific interview date or just all interview dates without a response so far? Mine was one month ago and I’d be surprised if they haven’t met at all until just now. (although it’s possible)
They said certain dates need to pass before they can release more acceptances, so it sounds like everyone will be waiting till Thanksgiving regardless of interview date but I could be completely wrong idk

My guess is that a ton of seats will open up after Nov 15th when the $1500 deposit is due.

Anybody interviewing this Monday?

I called yesterday to ask about 10/3 interview date. They told me like two more weeks. I have to make a deposit for another school by November 7th. RIP

I called yesterday to ask about 10/3 interview date. They told me like two more weeks. I have to make a deposit for another school by November 7th. RIP

Wow! That's 6 weeks....

Wonder if they'll notify everybody from October in 2 weeks or if everyone will be 6 weeks from their date

Wow! That's 6 weeks....

Wonder if they'll notify everybody from October in 2 weeks or if everyone will be 6 weeks from their date
I interviewed October 30th and we were told Nov. 15th is the earliest we could hear back and as late as 2 weeks after that so, Thanksgiving week.

I interviewed October 30th and we were told Nov. 15th is the earliest we could hear back and as late as 2 weeks after that so, Thanksgiving week.

Interviewed 10/31 and was told the same thing.

Does anyone know if you can pay the deposit with a credit card?

Didn’t you have an Oct interview? .....have you heard something? *neuroticism intensifies*

Haha sorry to make you panic! I haven't heard anything, still sitting around twiddling my thumbs. Just thinking ahead for deposits and hoping to get some good credit card points out of it.

Will be giving up my seat and scholarship here. Good luck everyone!

Hey everyone! I went over to Buies Creek today to look at apartments and dropped by the school. Apparently, they were having an open house so my mom and I dropped in. I am continually impressed by this school and how nice everyone is. They will be having an accepted students day in April with multiple apartment vendors, etc. One of the admissions people said that applicants have a 1/24 shot of getting in. This is only 4%! That is so impressive for a new DO school! I feel so lucky that I nabbed an acceptance here!

Hey everyone! I went over to Buies Creek today to look at apartments and dropped by the school. Apparently, they were having an open house so my mom and I dropped in. I am continually impressed by this school and how nice everyone is. They will be having an accepted students day in April with multiple apartment vendors, etc. One of the admissions people said that applicants have a 1/24 shot of getting in. This is only 4%! That is so impressive for a new DO school! I feel so lucky that I nabbed an acceptance here!
what is the acceptance rate post II? if anyone knows.

Anyone that already interviewed there. What is the best, most affordable and closest place to the campus please? And is it better to uber there or rent a car?

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Anyone tha already interviewed there. What is the best, most affordable and closest place to the campus please? And is it better to uber there or rent a car?
Microtel, and you are going to need to rent a car.

Thank you so much. I'm going to look into it.

Don't uber, the school is very rural so you might not find an uber for a while. Rent a car.

Anyone that already interviewed there. What is the best, most affordable and closest place to the campus please? And is it better to uber there or rent a car?

You can also stay at Hampton Inn @ Dunn. It was only 15 mins down the road from the school.

You can also stay at Hampton Inn @ Dunn. It was only 15 mins down the road from the school.

Same with the Marriott in Dunn. Very nice and early breakfast before the interview. I think it was about 15 minutes away.

Microtel Inn was 3-5 minutes down the road as well.

@sb247
Hey there, I just wanted to get some info from a current student. I don't have any insight on the quality of rotations at CUSOM. I know that in the DO realm, it's what you make out of it as a student, and it depends on how driven/how much you want to work for it. However, it seems that out of their 6 rotations sites, Fayetteville and Wake seem to be the ones that will get you more exposure, hence more competitive and lots of people will rank them as top 2. Are there any of the sites that do a ward based rotation? I assume none since most DO schools don't have their own teaching hospital.
So I just wanted to hear some feedback from current student about how would you rank the rotation sites in terms of quality, exposure, how much freedom you have to do stuff like procedures.

Also, are all the rotation sites high volume and you get to see various conditions, pathologies and such? I know these hospitals are not level 1s or county hospitals in LA, but I just want to know the extent of freedom we get as students to do procedures, see the patients and such. My worry is that a lot of rotation blocks will turn into an observation more so than rotation. I have seen some students from a school that is considered to be "mid tier" while they were rotating at the hospital where I work at and they weren't doing much besides get the history and such.

And in terms of "ward based" I mean doing rounds as a team with the attendings and residents together instead of having one preceptor at the site.

Again, I know you're busy and I apologize for the essay that I wrote but I'd love to hear your opinion.

@sb247
Hey there, I just wanted to get some info from a current student. I don't have any insight on the quality of rotations at CUSOM. I know that in the DO realm, it's what you make out of it as a student, and it depends on how driven/how much you want to work for it. However, it seems that out of their 6 rotations sites, Fayetteville and Wake seem to be the ones that will get you more exposure, hence more competitive and lots of people will rank them as top 2. Are there any of the sites that do a ward based rotation? I assume none since most DO schools don't have their own teaching hospital.
So I just wanted to hear some feedback from current student about how would you rank the rotation sites in terms of quality, exposure, how much freedom you have to do stuff like procedures.

Also, are all the rotation sites high volume and you get to see various conditions, pathologies and such? I know these hospitals are not level 1s or county hospitals in LA, but I just want to know the extent of freedom we get as students to do procedures, see the patients and such. My worry is that a lot of rotation blocks will turn into an observation more so than rotation. I have seen some students from a school that is considered to be "mid tier" while they were rotating at the hospital where I work at and they weren't doing much besides get the history and such.

And in terms of "ward based" I mean doing rounds as a team with the attendings and residents together instead of having one preceptor at the site.

Again, I know you're busy and I apologize for the essay that I wrote but I'd love to hear your opinion.
(i asked them to post here and tag me so everyone can see the answers)

Some sites have had some growing pains with the EMRs but for the most part, you will have your own patients to round on. You'll see them, followup on labs, present, propose a plan and then write a note. On almost all your services, you do this. I don't understand this "DOs just shadow" myth that seems to get mentioned a lot. You will, given the confidence of your attendings/residents get to do procedures as far as I am aware if it's something you're clearly into.

Those crazy sick people at the lvl 1 hospitals didn't all drive there, a ton of them started at the lvl 2 and 3 hospitals.....where you will work them up.

you might have just you and a doc or two and some nurses in the outpatient clinics but hospitals are hosptials (whether you have residents or not in each rotation)

Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone here interviewing on November 14th? I'm trying to figure out the best way from the school to the airport. I am not renting a car and have a ride only to the school not back.

@sb247
At the interview day, the dean talked about the residences they helped establish in the NC region, and how most of them are getting their ACGME accreditation. To what extent do these spots help CUSOM students in the match process? Do we get a leg up the competition when we are applying to those spots?