2017-2018 Case Western Reserve University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted this morning with opportunity to apply for scholarship!! I wasn’t even expecting to get accepted

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted this morning!! Plus merit scholarship invitation!
Interviewed 2/13

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if Case is still interviewing? Until when?
University track has finished interviews. Last I heard, MSTP interviews are still going. Not sure about college track.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mailed my tax forms to the financial aid office almost a month ago, but the online portal still says they're not received. Anybody else having similar delays, or should I call and pester them about whether I need to re-send them?

I mailed my tax forms to the financial aid office almost a month ago, but the online portal still says they're not received. Anybody else having similar delays, or should I call and pester them about whether I need to re-send them?

I'm experiencing the same delay; I plan on calling them tomorrow to inquire!

If you do, let me know what they say? I tried calling once last week but no one picked up, and I realized it might have been lunch time there

Reactions: 1 user
Do any current students know how many of the people invited to apply for merit-based funds end up getting grants?

Just got a response to the email I had sent last week. They said they're a little behind but they do have my forms and the online portal should be updated in the next day or two.

I'm hoping some current students could answer a few questions I didn't get to find out during my interview? bearintraining did a great job earlier in the thread but I've thought of some more!

1. How much dedicated time is given to study for step 1 and when are you expected to take it?
2. I'm sure the free afternoons help with student happiness/mental well-being quite a bit, does the school offer any other programs or resources focused on student well-being & mental health? I know med school can be a stressful time and some schools emphasize how much they try to mitigate that while others don't really care
3. How safe is the area on and around Case's campus?
4. What is it like trying to schedule residency interviews in 4th year? I've heard that some schools only give you a couple days off and you are meant to squeeze in your interviews in those days whereas others give you an extensive period of time pretty much completely off so you can attend interviews and others just make sure the people in charge of rotations during that time are just more flexible/understanding during that period of time if you need to request off so you can attend interviews
5. How are grades determined in clinical years? Purely based on shelf performance or are evaluations taken into account as well? If the latter, how are each of these weighted?

I'm hoping some current students could answer a few questions I didn't get to find out during my interview? bearintraining did a great job earlier in the thread but I've thought of some more!

1. How much dedicated time is given to study for step 1 and when are you expected to take it?
2. I'm sure the free afternoons help with student happiness/mental well-being quite a bit, does the school offer any other programs or resources focused on student well-being & mental health? I know med school can be a stressful time and some schools emphasize how much they try to mitigate that while others don't really care
3. How safe is the area on and around Case's campus?
4. What is it like trying to schedule residency interviews in 4th year? I've heard that some schools only give you a couple days off and you are meant to squeeze in your interviews in those days whereas others give you an extensive period of time pretty much completely off so you can attend interviews and others just make sure the people in charge of rotations during that time are just more flexible/understanding during that period of time if you need to request off so you can attend interviews
5. How are grades determined in clinical years? Purely based on shelf performance or are evaluations taken into account as well? If the latter, how are each of these weighted?

I’ll let others add, but here are my answers / thoughts.

1) the official line is 6 weeks, but this is in an 8 week time slot, and usually students can get 8 weeks approved. Most students take it directly after year 2 ends (which is February, so exam end of April or beginning may). Since third year starts July, students then do 2 of their 4 months of research usually. You can do the reverse if you’d rather. Technically the deadline is December of that year (ie middle of third).

2) around exam times there is often a therapy dog session or some other things offered by the wellness pathway. Right now during most 2nd years’ dedicated time, they’re doing a once a week lunch time thing (food, activities, etc). deans are there to support you during difficult life events, and there is counselling and studying support available.

3) the immediate area and little Italy portions of campus is safe. Many people walk to and from school. However, there are less safe areas not far from school. I don’t know of anyone in the school that has ever had an issue.

4) generally speaking 4th years seem to have lots of time for interviews. There’s a total of I think 6 weeks of vacation in 4th year, and then people also can schedule electives that are more flexible (eg leading an IQ group) during that time. So, it’s definitely not just a few days. That said, if you are in a clinical elective they do not have to give you time off for interviews and can make you make that time up. I’m pretty sure this is standard practice. So, most students are able to avoid that by not having those kinds of electives during interview time.

5) honors is based on both a clinical assessment and a shelf score cut off. You have to get honors in both. They really try to be as fair as possible, and it’s much more reasonable than you may think.

Has anyone been able to fill out the CWRU financial aid form? If so, any tips on how to access it?

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how Case Western views Letters of Intent? Thinking about sending one.

I have heard rumor that anatomy will be done entirely without cadavers starting next year, can anyone confirm or deny this?

I have heard rumor that anatomy will be done entirely without cadavers starting next year, can anyone confirm or deny this?
There will be a two week anatomy boot camp with cadavers at the beginning, and then microsoft holo lens anatomy from there on out. Cadavers will still be available in the med school building for practice

There will be a two week anatomy boot camp with cadavers at the beginning, and then microsoft holo lens anatomy from there on out. Cadavers will still be available in the med school building for practice

In addition to this, the Dept of Anatomy will continue to offer an in-depth dissection course, ANAT411, to medical students. It's a M/W/F 1-5pm (I think) course, usually in the Spring graduate calendar semester, so it's in the second half of first year. It's really useful, and covers anatomy in more depth than the medical school curriculum. It's intense, fyi.

Not completing the merit aide scholarship essay and I'll likely withdraw acceptance in a couple days. Good luck y'all :).

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know when financial aid packages will be awarded?

Has anyone been able to fill out the CWRU financial aid form? If so, any tips on how to access it?

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out
How did you do it? I'm having trouble finding it for some reason.

Edit: Figured it out. For those that have trouble finding the CWRU financial aid form- click on "Menu" on the top left of the page after logging in to financial aid.

Last edited:
Haven't heard back anything after being complete early August :/ Is it possible they lost my application along the way..? lawls

For those accepted, what documents do we need to have submitted? So far I've taken care of FAFSA and the CWRU Financial Aid Form - Medical.

For those accepted, what documents do we need to have submitted? So far I've taken care of FAFSA and the CWRU Financial Aid Form - Medical.

W2+tax return for you and your parents

CSS Profile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W2+tax return for you and your parents

CSS Profile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is all the W2 and tax stuff just submitted as part of the CSS Profile? Or does it need to be sent again separately (and how)?

I can now see a promissory note listed in my document list on my financial aid on casemed (it's marked not received obviously), but there's no sign anywhere of a financial aid package..... Maybe they're in middle of posting them? I really hope so

OK, so finaid info has been posted, and I'm happy with it! I'm just wondering, does anyone know if need-scholarships are given for all four years, or is it different for each year? And if I don't get for one year, can I get it the next? I guess I'll email the office

OK, so finaid info has been posted, and I'm happy with it! I'm just wondering, does anyone know if need-scholarships are given for all four years, or is it different for each year? And if I don't get for one year, can I get it the next? I guess I'll email the office
Where did you find it? In the My financial aid portal?

My financial aid package was posted on Friday as well, never received an email though..just happened to check the portal

My financial aid package was posted on Friday as well, never received an email though..just happened to check the portal
Was it just under the ***Your Estimated Cost of Attendance*** message or was it a separate message?

Is it possible to talk to the financial aid office about a higher award? I legitimately cannot afford Case with the small aid I got...

Is it possible to talk to the financial aid office about a higher award? I legitimately cannot afford Case with the small aid I got...

Mine doesn’t add up either, but question:

Are “GradPlus Loans” not included in case package? Do we get that somewhere else? Or is that a no, meaning I’m going to have to find a private lender to cover the difference?

Also, seconding the earlier question about need based scholarships being renewable or not. I got something small but wanna know if I can think of it multiplied by four or not.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

And also I see tuition has gone up to 63.4 (!!!) as opposed to 61.5.... any chance that freezes for the four years one attends or can we expect possible yearly increases?

Are “GradPlus Loans” not included in case package? Do we get that somewhere else? Or is that a no, meaning I’m going to have to find a private lender to cover the difference?

Also, seconding the earlier question about need based scholarships being renewable or not. I got something small but wanna know if I can think of it multiplied by four or not.

You can apply for the GradPlus loan to cover the rest of your unmet need (including all or a portion of the expected family contribution)

From Power Point Presentation:
"Expected Family Contribution Additional student loans may be available to cover all or a portion of your EFC, such as Federal Direct GradPLUS Loan and private educational loans. You MUST contact the CWRU SOM Financial Aid Office if you are interested in exploring, or have already initiated one of these options."

I contacted the office, they will reassess your situation each year to ensure need still exists before renewing the scholarship or school loans. Sounds like you would get it if you situation hasn't changed (for the better at least...), but that wasn't said in so many words. That's all they said

What does the "Award" section mean? Are we "awarded" an opportunity to take out loans?

What does the "Award" section mean? Are we "awarded" an opportunity to take out loans?

I don't know exactly what kind of aid you received, but I'll explain how I understand the aid I got. Maybe it'll be helpful for you.

Under the grants and scholarships, I received a "CWRU Scholarship Assistance" sum, which I believe I don't ever need to pay back - it's just removed from the overall tuition.

Under the loans section, I got a "[insert the name of alumni donor] Student Loan". Mine was called "Kellogg", but I think it can be different. My understanding is that these loans are subsidized by the university, and are interest free for your 4 years of medical school and up to 5 years in residency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have additional information about parking on campus? I would like to live alone, and so I am looking at apartments a bit farther away from campus. I am particularly interested in finding out if there are any long-term parking passes available for either on-campus garages or nearby garages.

Does anyone have additional information about parking on campus? I would like to live alone, and so I am looking at apartments a bit farther away from campus. I am particularly interested in finding out if there are any long-term parking passes available for either on-campus garages or nearby garages.
Go watch the housing webinar, got stuff on parking

Yes there are parking passes available for students and there is a lot very near the med school (it's open though so as long as you don't mind leaving your car outside). There are actual garages nearby too but those usually fill quicker and I'm pretty sure they're more expensive.

And also I see tuition has gone up to 63.4 (!!!) as opposed to 61.5.... any chance that freezes for the four years one attends or can we expect possible yearly increases?

It has increased yearly in the past, unfortunately.

Yes there’s a covered garage lot really close with the added benefit of parking underneath the med school after hours and on the weekend. I think it’s $100 a month, but it’s popular so decide early if you want that. Also, I think they’re still figuring out the parking system at the new school, but my understanding is that there will not be student parking nearby, and instead there will be a lot with regular shuttles.

Does anyone know how generous Case is with need-based aid?