2017-2018 Case Western Reserve University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did the Application Status portal stop working for you guys a while after you were accepted? Can't seem to access it anymore, won't let me log in. I assume that's normal, but thought I might ask.

EDIT: Scratch that---reset my password and now I can access it. Weird.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did the Application Status portal stop working for you guys a while after you were accepted? Can't seem to access it anymore, won't let me log in. I assume that's normal, but thought I might ask.
Mine seems to have stopped working too.

I still have access to mines.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still works. Perhaps it is automatically using your new password you set up for other Case accounts? Just retype your original access info to see.
On the other hand, nothing too exciting to do on the portal anyhow....

lol was anyone else not able to get onto the second look weekend guestlist

lol was anyone else not able to get onto the second look weekend guestlist

I think I'm on the guestlist (waiting for confirmation), so feel free to let me know if you have any questions you'd like me to ask while there!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I will hopefully see some of you at second look! Save travels!

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else still waiting to hear back about financial aid?

Members don't see this ad :)
I finally spoke to financial aid, just to make sure they hadn't forgotten me lol. If you also applied for a merit scholarship, we will find out about those on Monday, with the financial aid package to be delivered on Tuesday.
That's so close to decision day! :( Thanks for calling though!

I think I'm on the guestlist (waiting for confirmation), so feel free to let me know if you have any questions you'd like me to ask while there!
Thanks man was actually hoping you could let me know anything u hear about good housing for first years near campus I’m sure they’ll mention it(I forget from interview day)

I will be withdrawing. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Reactions: 6 users
Also just got the scholarship notification by email

Withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to those on the wait list.

Reactions: 4 users
Can any current students comment on the curriculum? I have the impression it is largely self-directed. Do you feel students are given enough guidance?

Can any current students comment on the curriculum? I have the impression it is largely self-directed. Do you feel students are given enough guidance?
search the thread. There are numerous good posts on this

Has anyone received their final aid report (loans + merit + need) yet? I thought they were coming out yesterday but I didnt get an email. Not much time to compare between schools :(

Has anyone received their final aid report (loans + merit + need) yet? I thought they were coming out yesterday but I didnt get an email. Not much time to compare between schools :(
Mine is available to view on the portal, but I did not get an email.

Yes, I got the full financial aid package email yesterday. Sounds like they didn't finish sending them out. Check the your financial aid portal for a new tab labeled "Awards". If they don't get it to you by the end of today, I would call tomorrow.

Regarding the decision day email we just got, does anyone know if that means we have to inform them in any case, or only if withdrawing?

Regarding the decision day email we just got, does anyone know if that means we have to inform them in any case, or only if withdrawing?

I think Dr. Mehta mentioned over the second look that they wanted you to email them saying if you were planning on attending.

Withdrew. Tough decision, for real, and this one hurt. Hope someone gets the grant, good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
How/when are people finding roommates? I wasn't able to attend second look unfortunately and I'll be coming from the west coast about a week (?) before orientation. I've noticed current students posting on the FB page, but nothing from new students looking from roommates.

How/when are people finding roommates? I wasn't able to attend second look unfortunately and I'll be coming from the west coast about a week (?) before orientation. I've noticed current students posting on the FB page, but nothing from new students looking for roommates.

There's a google spreadsheet on the facebook page that a lot of us have filled out to help find roommates.

Regarding sending an email with final decision to CWRU, is this decision retractable if we get into another school on waitlist?

Regarding sending an email with final decision to CWRU, is this decision retractable if we get into another school on waitlist?

Certainly. Until you pay for your tuition.

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody make last minute decisions for (or against) Case yesterday?

Is anyone else planning on paying for everything with loans? (No family contribution, no financial aid, no merit scholarship, no savings to rely on). I’m in this situation and it’s freaking me out because it feels like I’m on the extreme end of the spectrum and most people at Case aren’t actually facing $340K+ in loans. The average indebtness after 4 years is supposedly around $190k so it would seem that a ton of people get aid or family help. Anyone else relying completely on loans? How are you dealing with this emotionally?

Is anyone else planning on paying for everything with loans? (No family contribution, no financial aid, no merit scholarship, no savings to rely on). I’m in this situation and it’s freaking me out because it feels like I’m on the extreme end of the spectrum and most people at Case aren’t actually facing $340K+ in loans. The average indebtness after 4 years is supposedly around $190k so it would seem that a ton of people get aid or family help. Anyone else relying completely on loans? How are you dealing with this emotionally?

Though my wife works and we can pay for a lot of COL from her Salary, I’ll be using loans for full amount of tuition. That plus undergrad loans will leave me with about 300k in debt.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That’s a LOT of debt. The standard advice is that it’s a safe decision to take out loans that are up to 50% of your expected post-grad salary. You’re hovering around 100%, so you’re smart to be nervous.

I know we’re a long ways away, but with that amount of debt, you should start looking into all of the pay-off methods now. Primary care and psych, pm&r are basically ruled out for you unless you do a loan forgiveness program. Most loan payoff schemes offered by hospitals in under-resourced areas go up to about $180k, but there are a lot of other forgiveness programs out there.

But if you’re interested in anything with more than a 3 year training, you probably want to look into doing residency & fellowship at a non-profit institution and then working at a non-profit, This way, you’ll be able to do income based repayments and then apply for public service loan forgiveness once you’ve reached the 10 year post-med school mark. I’d suggest that you look into this now.

Also, go talk to the financial aid office again. Set up an appointment to talk through all of your options. There has got to be a way to get through school with less debt than that.

I'm pretty sure average indebtedness data refers to federal loans only, and doesn't include institutional loans or other loans. I may be wrong. If it's true, then true average indebtedness is probably higher than 190k. But I really don't know for sure

averages are very easily skewed by outliers, so if a few people get full ride scholarships, it brings the average indebtedness way down. a more useful tool would be to know the median indebtedness, but I don't know where to find that kind of data

Reactions: 5 users