2017-2018 Case Western Reserve University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pre-II Rejection this morning. Not surprised or sad because I also got my 2nd acceptance yesterday, and I was a good candidate but not an elite candidate, but just wanted to share so that, if you hear nothing today, you at least know they're still considering you because they rejected people and you weren't among them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Kind of a weird question here but does anyone know if the lectures are recorded and downloadable? And if so could you get them on your phone? I’m asking bc I’ll have a 30 min commute and wanted to make use of the extra 4-5 hours a week I’ll spend in my car.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Kind of a weird question here but does anyone know if the lectures are recorded and downloadable? And if so could you get them on your phone? I’m asking bc I’ll have a 30 min commute and wanted to make use of the extra 4-5 hours a week I’ll spend in my car.

On my interview day they said only the review lectures (every Thursday) and anatomy lectures are recorded, the rest are not. I’m not sure if you’d be able to access them on your phone or not though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else on a pre-II hold here?

Reactions: 2 users

On my interview day they said only the review lectures (every Thursday) and anatomy lectures are recorded, the rest are not. I’m not sure if you’d be able to access them on your phone or not though.

Only Thursday lectures (usually reviews/anatomy) and afternoon lectures (rare) are recorded. You have to access the recordings either locally or via VPN. You can download the file (mp4?) or you can use a built-in player for them. I haven't tried to access them from my phone or ipad, but I don't think it's inherently impossible. Most students do not attend Thursday reviews.

Is everyone who interviewed but then not accepted put on the Alternate List? Are there any rejections post-II?

Hey, @bearintraining I am hoping you can clarify something for me. I know lecture is either 8-10 or 10-12 Monday Wednesday and Friday depending if M1 or M2 and then IQ is the other time slot. When is stuff like anatomy lab, clinical skills, etc? Is it all crammed into Tuesday since Thursday is review lectures? I think I’m just confused because it was so emphasized that you’re done with mandatory stuff by noon every day but I can’t see how that’s possible haha

Hey, @bearintraining I am hoping you can clarify something for me. I know lecture is either 8-10 or 10-12 Monday Wednesday and Friday depending if M1 or M2 and then IQ is the other time slot. When is stuff like anatomy lab, clinical skills, etc? Is it all crammed into Tuesday since Thursday is review lectures? I think I’m just confused because it was so emphasized that you’re done with mandatory stuff by noon every day but I can’t see how that’s possible haha

Sure!

Anatomy lab (and some lectures) and Foundations of Clinical Medicine (i.e. touchy-feely Tuesdays) are on Tuesdays. As with IQ/Lecture, the order is switched for M1s and M2s. FCM is essentially every Tuesday. Anatomy is usually NOT (maybe on average every 2 weeks, but it really fluctuates).

Thursdays are either review days or sometimes new anatomy material. It is always recorded.

Clinical skills are nearly always in the afternoons (and/or evenings). In first year, you pretty much have alternating weeks of "learning" a skill (casual clothes) and "practicing" a skill (white coat wear). Most sessions are about 2hours, but it really depends on what it is. In second year, they become less common and kind of change into other experiences that aren't neatly classified, but you will still have what we call "Physical Diagnosis" sessions. Two of the key PD experiences somewhere between the end of 1st year and the end of 2nd year are: CPCP (10x 1/2 day experiences in outpatient setting), and PD3 (similar to the CPCP experience, but it is 5x 1/2day session inpatient/inhospital). There are other random PD sessions throughout second year (probably about 10 different kinds)... what ends up happening is that instead of like everyone in M1 where you had the same thing every week, people's schedules start to diverge. For instance, you could have CPCP as early as the summer between M1 and M2. Some folks have just recently finished it, on the other hand (we are 4 weeks from the end of M2).

So, to come back to your initial question: In Block 1 (about 6 weeks) there are lots of extra things going on and you're gonna feel annoyed that you don't really have your afternoons off. Starting Block 2, you DO have it off usually with the exception of a PD session one afternoon per week. This is essentially maintained throughout 2nd year. CPCP generally is once a week, whereas PD3 can be a quick once every other day and be done in ~ 1.5wk, or once a week (just depends on how the preceptor is scheduled). You will know all of these details beforehand, and you can switch with other students (it happens so much that we made a dedicated facebook page for swapping sessions).

Hope that helps - feel free to ask further Qs.

Sure!

Anatomy lab (and some lectures) and Foundations of Clinical Medicine (i.e. touchy-feely Tuesdays) are on Tuesdays. As with IQ/Lecture, the order is switched for M1s and M2s. FCM is essentially every Tuesday. Anatomy is usually NOT (maybe on average every 2 weeks, but it really fluctuates).

Thursdays are either review days or sometimes new anatomy material. It is always recorded.

Clinical skills are nearly always in the afternoons (and/or evenings). In first year, you pretty much have alternating weeks of "learning" a skill (casual clothes) and "practicing" a skill (white coat wear). Most sessions are about 2hours, but it really depends on what it is. In second year, they become less common and kind of change into other experiences that aren't neatly classified, but you will still have what we call "Physical Diagnosis" sessions. Two of the key PD experiences somewhere between the end of 1st year and the end of 2nd year are: CPCP (10x 1/2 day experiences in outpatient setting), and PD3 (similar to the CPCP experience, but it is 5x 1/2day session inpatient/inhospital). There are other random PD sessions throughout second year (probably about 10 different kinds)... what ends up happening is that instead of like everyone in M1 where you had the same thing every week, people's schedules start to diverge. For instance, you could have CPCP as early as the summer between M1 and M2. Some folks have just recently finished it, on the other hand (we are 4 weeks from the end of M2).

So, to come back to your initial question: In Block 1 (about 6 weeks) there are lots of extra things going on and you're gonna feel annoyed that you don't really have your afternoons off. Starting Block 2, you DO have it off usually with the exception of a PD session one afternoon per week. This is essentially maintained throughout 2nd year. CPCP generally is once a week, whereas PD3 can be a quick once every other day and be done in ~ 1.5wk, or once a week (just depends on how the preceptor is scheduled). You will know all of these details beforehand, and you can switch with other students (it happens so much that we made a dedicated facebook page for swapping sessions).

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed response! That clears it up

Sure!

You have been, and continue to be, a wonderful source of information! Greatly appreciated!

Does anyone know when they stop sending out IIs? Also, is there still a chance to receive an II if I was put on hold?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was invited for an interview two months ago but I am withdrawing my application pre-interview. Good luck to the everyone! Hopefully one of you gets my spot!

Odd question - on the morning of the interview is there breakfast, coffee, etc? Just planning out if i should go to Starbucks tonight and keep it for tomorrow morning

Odd question - on the morning of the interview is there breakfast, coffee, etc? Just planning out if i should go to Starbucks tonight and keep it for tomorrow morning
On my interview day there was coffee and some little pastries and I forget what else, as we were waiting for everyone to arrive

Can any current students comment on what the 16 week research block is like? Excited for that opportunity, but that seems like a long time for research (in a good way!). Are you also doing clinicals, or is it truly devoted to research? If you are mostly doing research- is your schedule pretty flexible? Do you work from home, do you go into the hospitals or clinics to access electronic charts, does it depend totally on your project? Any info would be appreciated :) thank you!!

Does anyone know when the last interview day is here?

Can any current students comment on what the 16 week research block is like? Excited for that opportunity, but that seems like a long time for research (in a good way!). Are you also doing clinicals, or is it truly devoted to research? If you are mostly doing research- is your schedule pretty flexible? Do you work from home, do you go into the hospitals or clinics to access electronic charts, does it depend totally on your project? Any info would be appreciated :) thank you!!

Hey there!

Okay, so I'm not on research block currently, but I can tell you what it's like. Basically you usually can have either 8+8 or the full 16 upfront, it's kinda up to you. Recently the deadline was changed and you can do one 8wk stint in 3rd year (between 2nd and 3rd usually) and one in 4th.

Yes, you are absolutely only doing research at that time. How much of a commitment and what exactly it is like is realistically, up to your supervisor, but I think in general the expectation is sort of normal business hours from the school's point of view (but again, things will be highly variable depending on your project and PI). Most 3rd years talk about how much of a blessing the research block has been (if they had the second half during 3rd year) as a bit of a break from the intensity of clinical cores.

So, in short: find a mentor that you jive with and make clear both your expectations and theirs prior to starting, and it could be as flexible as you want it to be.

Reactions: 2 users
Rejected just now pre-II. On hold since 9/19. Best of luck to everyone!

I was really hoping it would be today. It’s been 4 weeks since they last sent out acceptances. And the post-interview survey said we could expect to hear within a month, and it’s been just about a month since my interview :/

I was really hoping it would be today. It’s been 4 weeks since they last sent out acceptances. And the post-interview survey said we could expect to hear within a month, and it’s been just about a month since my interview :/

It's ok buddy, I think it'll be tomorrow or Friday. This process is long and arduous, don't forget to eat ice cream sometimes :)

It looks like they've mostly sent out decisions on Wednesdays this year. Sorry to say but if I had to guess, we're in the waiting game a bit longer.
I heard back on a Friday right at 9 am (this was in December!) good luck guys and hang in there :)

It looks like they've mostly sent out decisions on Wednesdays this year. Sorry to say but if I had to guess, we're in the waiting game a bit longer.
I heard back on a friday morning. Please, for your own sake don't get too hung up on these things! I know you said "mostly", but still, it really means little. I really hope you hear good things soon!

I heard back on a friday morning. Please, for your own sake don't get too hung up on these things! I know you said "mostly", but still, it really means little. I really hope you hear good things soon!

Haha totally my bad - overthinking got the best of me for a moment. Thank you for the kind words!

hello, accepted student here! when do people start figure out housing and roommates? have any current students shipped their stuff to cleveland for storage first before moving there?

People start posting about roommates in March on the Facebook group.

Placed on the Alternate list this morning.

Did you just hear back this morning? What date did you interview? My portal still has not updated. :(

They sent it at 9am this morning in an email. I didn’t check the portal though. I interviewed in late January.

Accepted this morning! Received an e-mail about an hour ago. So grateful to be accepted to such a great school!

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone that interviewed in the first week of Feb heard back?

Placed on alternate list for university track this morning via e-mail and portal. (OOS, Interviewed 1/31, LM 75)

does Case do rejections post II? or is everyone either accepted or on the alt list