Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

2017-2018 Creighton University

Discussion in '2017-2018 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lucca, Mar 16, 2017.

1. TommyTsunami2018

Thank you!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. H_Scheck

H_Scheck We are the Shadow

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Lol did the same thing and then opened the portal . . . Whelp

ju2323 and platty like this.
  4. platty

Lol me too

ju2323 and H_Scheck like this.
  5. stillsmiling

Really want to write a letter of intent with an extracurricular/service update- just put the whole thing in one of those slots, or send LOI to Dean? Confusing :smack:

6. TheAverageOne

Pre-Medical
    Just got my interview from Creighton!!!

7. xxpremed22

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know when they start the review the waitlisted candidates?

8. Lilbird123

II received today!

CAFFEINE!, 3toedsloth and BurntFlower like this.
  9. tekkenman11

II this afternoon! OOS. Complete end of August and I sent in one update in September.

I will be declining the interview and withdrawing. Best of luck to everyone else!

10. Lilbird123

About mid July

11. MeredithGrey18

Pre-Medical
    II around 4:40 today. Complete late July. LizzyM ~ 75. Dates available: 1/26, 2/2, 2/9.

I will be withdrawing; good luck everyone!

12. Hellohihihihello

Pre-Medical
    did you guys all mention hours when adding activities updates?

13. TheAverageOne

Pre-Medical
    I was complete mid july and have updated them 4 times

kaymellow likes this.
  14. thinkchangeflow

Pre-Medical
    What is the community service emphasis like at this school?

15. xxpremed22

Pre-Medical
    Big emphasis on community service and nonclinical volunteering as well as shadowing

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. WALL_E8

Just got accepted off the Alternate List!

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

18. RTD

RTD

Pre-Medical
    I have been accepted off the alternate list!! I sent in an update last month before the holidays.

Do we have to wait for the acceptance packet to come in the mail before we click accept on the portal?

CAFFEINE! and BurntFlower like this.
  19. xxpremed22

Pre-Medical
    Congrats! What time did you get the notification?

20. RTD

RTD

Pre-Medical
    9:30 EST

21. Juice313

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    Got my II last week and will be attending 1/26! Super excited. Complete mid July, sent an update at the end of August and was just about to send another one.

For those that went to the dinner with med students afterwards, was it helpful in terms of getting more info about the school/Omaha? Also, do we need to RSVP for this? There doesn't seem to be much info regarding it from Creighton (yet).

CAFFEINE!, kaymellow and BurntFlower like this.
  22. Ikura

Pre-Medical
    II this morning!

CAFFEINE!, Juice313 and BurntFlower like this.
  23. NaDaniel

Pre-Medical
    You'll get more information the day of. No need to RSVP- It's very casual. I found it useful in terms of getting to know the the city better. The current students seemed more willing to speak candidly outside of campus.

Juice313 likes this.
  24. goldilocks123

Pre-Medical
    Did your guys' statuses change on the secondary application page after being marked complete? I was complete in October but never saw anything change on the page, just received an email. I am trying to decide if I should call them about this or not. Thanks!

Mtskies likes this.
  25. RTD

RTD

Pre-Medical
    Nevermind, found it!

26. dawitt10-1

Pre-Medical
  27. PedsDoc4Life

Congrats! May I ask what dates were available to you? Thanks! Best of luck!

28. dawitt10-1

Pre-Medical
    End of Feb and early March. So excited! I nearly went here for undergrad but chose to stay at my state school. Also, I have so many close friends who are or were med students at Creighton and they all loved it! I can't wait to visit again!

29. McNerdy

McNerdy Somehow got into an awesome Midwestern Med school.

Medical Student
    From a med student perspective I think it can be helpful to just get a vibe for the class/ see the life of a med student. Typically you won't "learn" more because its post interview and they try to do a lot of wooing/education about our program during the interview day. No RSVP necessary. We literally rotate every week to a different local restaurant and its an open invitation to M0s/med students. We find out about the location the week of the dinner so don't freak about not having the info. Typically M0s and the med students who hosted them attend with a few med students who swing by to say hi and grab a beer or bite to eat.

I highly advise hosting program if you're willing. You typically crash on a couch/air mattress but cost savings is huge (i think its 40 bucks a night?) and we have to pick you up/drop you off at airport and interview. Easy way to save some cash and really learn about the day in the life of a med student.

Anyway, the M0 dinner is an enjoyable way to unwind after interview day by experiencing the omaha Foodie/brewery scene (cause we actually do have an awesome restaurant scene and a lot of local breweries).

If you have specific questions feel free to message me/reply.

#377 McNerdy, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  30. McNerdy

Medical Student
    Like xxpremed22 said, service is a huge part of the Creighton identity relating to our jesuit mission. There is absolutely no community service/nonclinical volunteering requirement, but the student body accepted here just typically enjoys it. We have many clubs/organizations that allow you to get involved in many different activities including free clinics, teaching/mentoring programs at local schools (like teaching elementary school kids about science), out reach to immigrant and native american populations, political advocacy and sexual health education to prison populations. There's more i haven't mention cause we have a club for practically everything and people make clubs if there isn't one for what they want to do.

31. Juice313

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    Thank you for your comprehensive response! I would do the med student hosting program but one of my good friends from undergrad lives in Omaha so I'm going to stay with him. Based on what you said I will definitely be attending the dinner, it sounds like a great time. And I will likely shoot you a message in the near future with some more specific questions about the school, Omaha, and what it's like to be a student there. Thanks again!

McNerdy likes this.
  32. Hellohihihihello

Pre-Medical
    how many IIs have been sent out for Creighton? it seems like there isn't many

mangogreen and dapperdoc like this.
  33. TommyTsunami2018

Any word on those that interviewed 12/15?

staygoIdponyboy likes this.
  34. mdmi2016

Pre-Medical
    Anyone have an idea of what the post-interview acceptance rate is for Creighton?

35. McNerdy

Medical Student
    I could be wrong but I believe that Creighton admits approximately half of the students they interview at one point or another. This would include however ALL students who ultimately get an offer of acceptance, including those wait isted for 6 months and finally offered as well as those who get accepted but turn down the offer.
    Like I said, I believe this is what we were told, which would mean for last year's cycle, out of the 600ish interviewed 300ish were offered a spot of which 155 ultimately matriculated.

mdmi2016 likes this.
  36. tinman21

Pre-Medical
    received an interview last week but chose to withdraw and I'm hoping that it goes to one of you. Good luck!

37. ThreatLevelMidnight

Pre-Medical
    Creighton's post-interview acceptance rate is one of the highest in the nation. Last year, they interviewed 512 students and offered acceptances to 359 of them. Like McNerdy said, the number of acceptances include both pre-waitlist acceptances and post-waitlist acceptances.

mdmi2016 likes this.
  38. Premed2295

Pre-Medical
    People who have interviewed this year. I just interviewed yesterday and was told we get a decision January 29 which is extremely quick turn around. In your experience have they answered the day they said they would? Would be amazing to have a decision from my first choice that quickly!

39. Hellohihihihello

Pre-Medical
    how many more IIs are left

40. NaDaniel

Pre-Medical
    We were told that we would likely hear back on the 22nd.

41. dawitt10-1

Pre-Medical
    I am not sure any of us can answer this question....

42. TommyTsunami2018

Ok thanks! Must have missed that. We got this!!

NaDaniel likes this.
  43. RTD

RTD

Pre-Medical
    Would a current 3rd/4th year like to share their experiences in Arizona?

Thanks!

44. Dr.DrakeRamoray

Pre-Medical
    Wrong thread, homie

45. squidwardsquarepants

Looks like you don’t know anything about this school...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46. mdmi2016

Pre-Medical
    Actually, I think RTD is talking about those students who are on the Phoenix track for their rotations in 3rd and 4th year, which is a unique pathway Creighton does offer

47. Premed2295

Pre-Medical
    I would hope so.
    I am also interested in the Pheonix track if Im accepted to Creighton. (Interviewed 1-13 expecting my decision 1-29)
    If they thought Creighton was in Arizona exclusively they have worse problems.

48. meowmeowmeowmeow

Pre-Medical
    Loved this school, but I will be withdrawing my acceptance! Best of luck to everyone else!!

49. 3toedsloth

3toedsloth SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    Where did Creighton lose you to?

McNerdy likes this.
  50. McNerdy

Medical Student
    Doubtful you will get any M3/M4 on this thread offering their positions. As such I'll be happy to pass along what I've heard and give you a second hand account.
    In general a there's enough slots for a bout a 30% of the class to attend Phoenix for their clinical years.

No matter who you ask, Omaha or Phoenix M3/M4, they will always say they are happy with their choice and that there is very few differences between the clinical opportunities offered by either track. The major known advantage for phoenix track is the barrow neurological institute. So if your gunning neurology/neurosurgery phoenix may be a better fit to gain access to this facility. Most of the people who go phoenix love the big city amenities and warmer climate.

With this being said I find that the vast majority of students pick their track according to 2 factors, 1. what geographic location are they from? (Lots of californians go phoenix track to make their way back west. 2. The groups that like to go out ALOT and find that Omaha doesn't quite offer enough extracurricular outing opportunities.

With this being said, there are a lot of people who stay Omaha. I personally have a spot for phoenix (we don't have to commit until spring of M2) and am leaning towards not going to phoenix because omaha is a pretty awesome city, most of my friends are omaha track, and Omaha is much cheaper to live. Like really cheap...

One cool thing about Creighton is that we are allowed to rotate at whatever campus we don't attend without it using an away. To further explain this, During M4, each student is allotted a certain amount of time during which we can perform away rotations at institutions we are interested in for residency. A student at omaha would be allowed to rotate at Phoenix campus without it counting towards their away rotation time allowance. The reverse works for students at phoenix. So no matter where you go, you can have access to rotating at the other campus if so interested.

I know this isn't exactly what you asked for but hopefully it helps. If you have specific questions let me know and I'll pass to an actual M3 and get back to you.

#398 McNerdy, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Juice313, RTD and ThreatLevelMidnight like this.
  51. McNerdy

Medical Student
    No one will know the answer to this. Best judgement is gauging interview dates of those recently offered invites. I believe we offer interviews until March, and as such invites will go out until early February but take this advice with a grain of salt because its ultimately up to the admissions committee.

52. 3toedsloth

3toedsloth SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    They use a conference room for breakfast and talks about the school. You'll have two 30 min interviews over the course of 2 hours, with each interviewer interviewing 4 applicants in those two hours. Those people will pick you up from the conference room. Some applicants will be interviewing while others are drinking coffee, chatting, and waiting. After everybody is done with the interviews, you have lunch in a different room, followed by the tour (including a bus trip).

You're probably fine to leave your handbag in the room while you're interviewing. The only hiccup that might happen is if you're in the last interview slot and the person is running late. The room could potentially be locked/empty before you get back. But you'll definitely want to bring the handbag with you on the tour, as the bus trip and tour does not end back where you started.

Juice313 likes this.