2017-2018 Des Moines University (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody interviewing Monday? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just got...a second hold email. Haha.

I got a second hold email a couple weeks ago as well. Being from Des Moines, I am a little disappointed that I have not received much feedback from the school. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
If I wanted to send DMU an update letter, do I just email it to them or is there a place to upload it on the portal?

75 Days later and I just got the “60 day wait” email.

EDIT: Has anyone been over 75 Days complete and not get a decision from the adcom? (Ie. II or rejection)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Has anyone began looking at apartments? Also, is there an accepted students facebook page or anything?

Reactions: 1 user
Just received acceptance email from DMU!!! Woo Hoo!
Interviewed 18 Jan.
Thank you very much to all who provided very useful information! You make this site the valuable resource it is!

Reactions: 5 users
Found a DMU Class of 2021 Facebook page, but no Class of 2022 page yet.

Facebook page was part of the acceptance email somewhere - DMU Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine 2022

Members don't see this ad :)
Found a DMU Class of 2021 Facebook page, but no Class of 2022 page yet.
Congrats! Also there is a Facebook page, they emailed us the link awhile back. I'm sure you will receive the info soon

Just got an II! It's been a while that I was kinda shocked. What is the interview format? Can anyone tell me a bit about the school because I have heard good things about DMU but not sure what they are haha.

Just got an II! It's been a while that I was kinda shocked. What is the interview format? Can anyone tell me a bit about the school because I have heard good things about DMU but not sure what they are haha.
They put it out there on the website but if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. the interview is a 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 with professors and students making up that panel. They just want to get to know you my interview last year was very laid back

For any of the current students can you speak to the political atmosphere of the campus? As in is it a disadvantage for being more supportive of one party over another. I am a pretty neutral conservative that chooses to listen to all peoples views and I get along with people from all sides of the political spectrum. What I don't want to feel is bad for something that I believe in. Is the DMU school welcoming to most political backgrounds or is there an overt bias towards one side or the other? Thanks :)

For any of the current students can you speak to the political atmosphere of the campus? As in is it a disadvantage for being more supportive of one party over another. I am a pretty neutral conservative that chooses to listen to all peoples views and I get along with people from all sides of the political spectrum. What I don't want to feel is bad for something that I believe in. Is the DMU school welcoming to most political backgrounds or is there an overt bias towards one side or the other? Thanks :)
I have next to 0 clue nor does anyone seem to care what people's political leanings are. It won't be like undergrad...everyone's too swamped to notice

EDIT: I mean you can always bring bad publicity upon yourself if you're super vocal and (for lack of a better term) militant about it. Just be a mature adult and not tell people how they should feel on things one way or the other

Reactions: 2 users
I have next to 0 clue nor does anyone seem to care what people's political leanings are. It won't be like undergrad...everyone's too swamped to notice

EDIT: I mean you can always bring bad publicity upon yourself if you're super vocal and (for lack of a better term) militant about it. Just be a mature adult and not tell people how they should feel on things one way or the other

Thanks Chibucks! I am extremely peaceful when it comes to politics and prefer just to listen as I am a scientist not a politician. My belief is that the only way for an eagle to fly straight and true is for it to have a balanced left and right wing. No I just work in pretty toxic political environment where the conservatives are afraid to raise their heads and didn't want this to last another four years. Good to hear that DMU people are busier with more important things :)

Congrats on those with recent IIs to DMU. Recent interview consisted of 2 faculty and 2 students which lasted 30 - 40 minutes. Pretty conversational with 1 ethical question, past study habits, how I studied for the MCAT, etc. There are before lunch and after lunch interviews. You will get 1 or the other. ***Edit "I'm sure tone and exact questions will depend upon interviewers." ***End edit
Good Luck!

Last edited:
That folder, though.

Gorgeous pen, too.

Reactions: 5 users
II just now, 2/2 2/8 available, will likely be declining

II this evening after being on hold for quite a while.

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Wolfie still on Hold, yo!

Look what all this waiting has done to me :p

Reactions: 4 users
Pre-II Hold yesterday. Not as bitter a cup to drink because I also got accepted to Chicago COM yesterday, but still wanted to share so that, if you didn't hear anything yesterday, it at least means you're still being considered because you didn't get put on hold.

Withdrew from my interview yesterday. Hope someone here gets the invite!

Current students:
I am traveling to DMU this coming Friday to tour the school again and look at apartments. Is there anything I should see while I am in Des Moines? Any questions I should ask at the school? Thank you!

Current students:
I am traveling to DMU this coming Friday to tour the school again and look at apartments. Is there anything I should see while I am in Des Moines? Any questions I should ask at the school? Thank you!
Not a current student but I watched a show on some food network about Baru 66 a French restaurant in Des Moines. I really Want to try it. Zombie Burger was awesome when I went.

Current students:
Not a current student either but check out court ave. Current students recommend it for night life. I went there the night of my interview and was not disapponted. Lots of places for bar hopping and restaurants to eat at. Also recently saw a Mexican restaurant on Diners Drive In’s & Dives called Tacopacalypse...but it’s vegan...

Not a current student either but check out court ave. Current students recommend it for night life. I went there the night of my interview and was not disapponted. Lots of places for bar hopping and restaurants to eat at. Also recently saw a Mexican restaurant on Diners Drive In’s & Dives called Tacopacalypse...but it’s vegan...
Thanks! Tacopocalypse looks amazing if I get an interview!

I was waiting for someone who's lived here longer to comment, but I guess I'll throw in my two cents, having lived here for like 7 months now?

For food, yeah, Zombie Burger for burgers. Tacopocalypse, Fuzzy's, Pancheros, and Fighting Burrito are all good as far as Taco-y stuff. Krunkwich is a great ramen restaurant. If you're looking for cute diner-y type stuff, go to Drake Diner. There's also a tooon of really great bars that you can just sit and chill at. I just went to Iowa Tap Room and chilled for a few hours while I was apartment hunting.

As far as stuff to see, it's a little cold out but there's always the sculpture park downtown. Or the art museum.

Court ave sees some good night life. I'd also recommend UpDown which is a really neat game-themed bar. Operating Room out in West Des Moines is also full of games and the walls are all decorated by previous DMU students. If you've got people with you there's also Escape Rooms, mini golf, some great shopping, we've got Flix Brewhouse which is basically a theater that also serves dinner.

I wish I knew more but I don't seem to get out much for some reason. :p

Received an II on Wednesday 1/31 after being on hold since late September/early October. Interviewed 2 days later on Friday 2/2. Was extremely impressed by the presentation of the school and by the Dean. At all of my other interviews, I have not had that much interaction with the Dean of the COM. I am very excited to hear back from DMU!

Tacopocalypse is not strictly vegan, they just happen to have vegan options. Trust me, as a vegan living in Des Moines the options for us are very few and far between and there are no strictly vegan restaurants that I have found as of yet, but many places with good options.

II today, just completed the AACOMAS app on 1/31/18. Have an acceptance at MW-CCOM. Any thoughts on the two schools?? Not sure if I wanna go through with the interview or not...

II today, just completed the AACOMAS app on 1/31/18. Have an acceptance at MW-CCOM. Any thoughts on the two schools?? Not sure if I wanna go through with the interview or not...
Isn't tuition at MW like twice as much as DMU?

Not twice but still higher
Yeah it's definitely higher. But I am from the Chicago area so I wouldn't have to pay for rent which could somewhat equal it out. And I just enjoy MW's location and great clinical rotations. I feel like I don't know much about DMU but I've heard good things about it, just trying to decide if I make the trip out...

Yeah it's definitely higher. But I am from the Chicago area so I wouldn't have to pay for rent which could somewhat equal it out. And I just enjoy MW's location and great clinical rotations. I feel like I don't know much about DMU but I've heard good things about it, just trying to decide if I make the trip out...
I'm in the camp where if at all possible go to all of the interviews you can. You never know what place you're missing out on if you don't go. I was in your same situation and chose to come out here...the debt is real and only going up. 400,000+ is nothing to scoff at. My plan is to set up rotations back home in Chicago if at all possible and live at home for those. I liked DMU a lot better but pm me if you have any specific questions. Best of luck through the process.

Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is?

Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is?
I'm a first year and ours was moved to before 3rd year so we have to wait. The place where we do it is under construction plus our old dean wanted it that way. So no clue if yours will be before 3rd year too just figured I should throw that out there. We still got our white coats and everything just didn't have the big ceremony

I'm a first year and ours was moved to before 3rd year so we have to wait. The place where we do it is under construction plus our old dean wanted it that way. So no clue if yours will be before 3rd year too just figured I should throw that out there. We still got our white coats and everything just didn't have the big ceremony
Thats a little strange

Thats a little strange
eh I thought so but when you think about it is isn't that bad. Like thats when you're actually going out into the world so I don't mind it. Theres a few other schools that have it this way and honestly were so busy I think we forgot about it anyway

eh I thought so but when you think about it is isn't that bad. Like thats when you're actually going out into the world so I don't mind it. Theres a few other schools that have it this way and honestly were so busy I think we forgot about it anyway

I was pretty annoyed. To paraphrase @Goro: The white coat ceremony isn't for you, it's for your family.

What are they going to do at the end of second year? "Give us the coats that you have been wearing for the past two years, then we'll spend 3 hours slowly giving them back to you." I hope it's not mandatory.