2021-2022 Eastern Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed mid november and havent heard anything, any clues?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey just curious, what do you think made the difference between your success this cycle and last? I'm sitting on a few waitlists and although I haven't lost faith yet, I'm taking steps to improve my application in the event of needing to reapply. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sorry for the late response! I think a couple of things have made a drastic difference in my application in just the few short months between the app cycles (2 IIs, 0 As -> 6 IIs, 3 As):
- clinical experience: I had very little when I sent in my primary last time around, but over the past year I picked up a scribing position and it has not only given me great clinical experience but also boosted my application. If you have the time and resources (as it doesn’t pay great), would absolutely recommend doing something similar if you aren’t already!
- apply early! My MCAT was pushed back in 2020 due to the COVID pandemic, which is obviously out of my control but put me at a disadvantage b/c I hoped to have an idea of my score prior to sending in a primary. Didn’t have to worry about that this time around, and instead I used my extra time to really dial in on my experiences/PS on the primary since I didn’t have to study.
- volunteering: everyone will tell you this is an important point, but this is especially true for EVMS. They absolutely love service, and I love the school, so I made an active commitment to remain involved in my community in more ways than one. This gave me plenty to talk about in my interview, not to mention aligning me with their mission (and most likely other school’s missions, too).

I know that was a lot, but I could probably keep going too! If you are on a WL, either here or another school, do not lose hope - plenty of movement is still happening. However, I think being prepared to not receive an A will benefit you in the long run, and taking steps now to address opportunities in your application will have you prepared for another cycle if it comes to that. Plenty of people don’t get in to medical school the first time and end up making great physicians, so try to remain positive in what is a super stressful time. Let me know if you have other questions!

Reactions: 2 users
No problem at all, thanks for taking the time to provide a detailed response!

Fortunately, I've been doing much of the same things that you mentioned. I got a job as a scribe back in July of last year and have been working full-time since so I think I'm covered on the clinical experience front. Much like you I really didn't have many hours aside from some hospital volunteering prior to the pandemic so I definitely believe that's one of the things holding me back. I've also continued some of the nonclinical volunteering I was involved with before but will pick up more positions probably in about a month.

I wholeheartedly agree that taking the time now to improve my application in the case of reapplication is much better than sitting around and doing nothing! I'm definitely still hopeful for this cycle but if I do have to reapply, I really only want to go through this process one more time if possible.

Again, thank you for your response and I hope you have a wonderful experience in medical school. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, just wanted to ask if any others who've been accepted have received the background check email? I know there was a post or two about it a week ago, but was curious if there have been any updates.

EDIT: never mind just got the email!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if there is a group or fb page for accepted students?

II today! OOS and complete 8/23.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
OOS interview just now, scheduled for 1/28. Wondering if anyone knows what my chances are this late in the interview schedule? I know some schools reserve spots throughout their interview times so when you interview isn’t as big of a deal and others give their spots as they go. Do you think this is basically an interview for the waitlist at EVMS or is there actually a shot?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Do your best theres only o
OOS interview just now, scheduled for 1/28. Wondering if anyone knows what my chances are this late in the interview schedule? I know some schools reserve spots throughout their interview times so when you interview isn’t as big of a deal and others give their spots as they go. Do you think this is basically an interview for the waitlist at EVMS or is there actually a shot?
one way to find out!

Even if you get a WL spot, EVMS tends to have a bit of WL movement so it could still work out

Hi there,

Any recent IS II lately? I am still holding on to hope!

Anyone know if sending multiple update letters is frowned upon? I sent one a month ago to EVMS and haven't heard anything so far. I have more hours and responsibilities at my new job to update with, but wasn't sure if this is worth sending another update/ letter of interest. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!I ha
They take up to 6 updates. I have heard it is a good idea. Can anyone confirm or deny?

All pre-reqs must be complete before being considered for an II here correct? I wish I had known this earlier.

All pre-reqs must be complete before being considered for an II here correct? I wish I had known this earlier.
Wait, where did you get this information? I thought it was just to be completed prior to matriculation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, where did you get this information? I thought it was just to be completed prior to matriculation.
I thought I read it on their admissions website lol. Maybe I misinterpreted it

I am confused. Is the interview just an interview? And not an interview day with fellow students? I have an interview coming up and realized the agenda I was sent was for the optional Wednesday meet-and-greets and there was only a singular time for the actual interview. I have interviewed at roughly 8 other schools and none of them had just an interview without any presentations. If so, props to EVMS for cutting out the fluff but i am confused.

I am confused. Is the interview just an interview? And not an interview day with fellow students? I have an interview coming up and realized the agenda I was sent was for the optional Wednesday meet-and-greets and there was only a singular time for the actual interview. I have interviewed at roughly 8 other schools and none of them had just an interview without any presentations. If so, props to EVMS for cutting out the fluff but i am confused.
I believe that it is only the interview during interview day plus the Wednesday information session which has a bunch of presentations. I hope that answers your question.

You mind telling us when you were complete and when you got the II?

for accepted students (and congrats!) - prematriculation requirements don't need to be completed ASAP right, 4 weeks leading up to matriculation unless otherwise stated?

:)
Hey, thank you. I was wondering if there is a private FB group (or GroupMe, etc.) for the incoming students?
Looking over the last year's thread, it seems that the Class of 2025 had a private FB group. Although I'm not sure if the students or school created it.

1643134926331.png

II yesterday IS! I know people said in previous years that interviewing this late for EVMS was just interviewing for the waiting list. Has anyone heard that so far this cycle? Hope not!!

• Love
I just received an interview invite this morning, IS!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Hey, thank you. I was wondering if there is a private FB group (or GroupMe, etc.) for the incoming students?
Looking over the last year's thread, it seems that the Class of 2025 had a private FB group. Although I'm not sure if the students or school created it.

View attachment 348969
That should be the link to the private facebook page, unless something went wrong. Regardless, we have unhidden the group page and it should be searchable on FB now.

That should be the link to the private facebook page, unless something went wrong. Regardless, we have unhidden the group page and it should be searchable on FB now.
Is there a link to join that you can share? Thanks!

II received this morning around 10:30 eastern! OOS

• Love
I declined an II yesterday and hopefully someone gets some good news with it!

• Love
Why EVMS still offering II late in the cycle when they have many people on the WL already? :unsure:

Reactions: 1 users
Why EVMS still offering II late in the cycle when they have many people on the WL already? :unsure:
This is quite common at medical schools. They will start building their waitlist early on while continuing to accept people throughout the cycle.

When might mid January interviewees hear back by? Last week of February?

View attachment 348969

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, sorry if this has been asked before, but where can I send an update letter? Do they prefer through the portal or through email? If so, what email? I can't find anything about this on the thread or their website.

Hi everyone, sorry if this has been asked before, but where can I send an update letter? Do they prefer through the portal or through email? If so, what email? I can't find anything about this on the thread or their website.
For Pre-II, it is likely OK to go to their main admissions email. During the information session, they had mentioned sending post-II updates to [email protected] but I'm not sure if this is only used for interviewed candidates. Hope this helps!

For those accepted, is anyone else having trouble logging into My SIS link?

Received an II here! Just wondering if I should take off work for it, but does anyone know if the informational session required or optional?

• Love
  • Haha
Just got an II here. complete late July.

I feel like they haven't doled out acceptances in a long time. Unless they just have gone unreported on SDN.