Separate names with a comma.
Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.
Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia
Discussion in 'Osteopathic School-Specific Discussions' started by AlteredScale, Dec 8, 2017.
Secondary prompts will be posted when provided.
Good luck to everyone applying!
Sounds like there isnt a secondary application, nor secondary fee this year according to their website
I wonder how much accessibility ICOM students will have to ISU-Meridian
Also, How terrible are the loans without federal loans available?
Private loans, not as good as federal ones.
I know someone who has a 496, lots of clinical/volunteer hours, cGPA: 3.46 and sGPA: 3.33. NJ resident. Is it worth it to suggest it to him? He hasn't had a lot of luck this cycle or last.
With no secondary, if he can afford the primary fee it can't hurt to apply
yes, it wont harm. did he take MCAT several times?
Yeah, unfortunately. 494 then 496 .
My SO also applied to this school. I just don't understand how such a new school can ask for 3.2 gpa and 500 mcat and 2500 deposit. With those stats, most students probably have multiple acceptances. Why would they choose this one?
Agreed idk if I should apply since I'm slightly below one of their requirements and it seems like they might be hard minimums so it would be a waste to send in an app.
Yeah he is slightly below both but I paid for the app. Didn't mind the $45 especially cuz it will be a clear path to interview or rejection since no secondaries.
Yeah I doubt they will reach that.. 150 students all having a 500 or higher? I got a 498, so I am throwing it out there to see. I assume they wanted MCATs at least around a 500
Did you apply many other DO schools before? Your stats are good for DO schools.
I feel sorry for the people who end up going to this school. I'm a marginal applicant with a few interviews coming, and I am not going to apply here. This is a school for people who can't get in to Washington, Washington State, OHSU, PNWU, Western COMPNW, or RVU Utah, but still need to stay in the pacific northwest to be close to family or whatever. If it were me, I would just take an extra year and try to beef my application up enough to the point of being able to please PNWU.
While there's slight validity to your comments, feeling sorry is grossly exaggerated. The school has an excellent administration and is quite promising in my opinion. They definitely seem to have the student in mind and inaugural students will benefit from that.
And those who will get accepted to ICOM will feel sorry for you because you will have to wait at least another year.
For those of us who have applied and are excited lol has anyone noticed that they have a timeline for when we must submit our deposit in January (if we are accepted)? Does this mean they will be contacting us soon for interviews!!!!!
I am sure it'll be a quick turn around. Theyre already late in the cycle
those accepted prior January 14th are probably those accepted without interviewing.
jk. but it would leave less than a month to invite, interview and process acceptances. I doubt there will be many interviewed prior January 14th anyways.
Just wondering if everyone who has applied meet the 3.2 gpa and 500 mcat
I could see it. Send out interview invites this week for the next 2 weeks and then leaves 2 weeks to decide on if they accept or not. The administration doesn't have any current classes to deal with so this is their main focus
Theoretically I can see it too, but there are holidays and not enough window to schedule your interview.
their timeline might be a delayed even more as i have been speaking with them on and off and they told me today that their portal or whatever its called has been down and that they havent been able to receive all applications that have been submitted through AACOMAS yet. They said theyre expecting it to be fixed in the next few days though
I'm from the East Coast. Are most of the people applying here from the region they want students from? Wondering if I should send an application or not...
From Texas and sent one. it’s outside their preferred region but i liked the mission and my activities and personal statement demonstrate interest in working with underserved populations so i decided to go for it
They have a strong mission to accept students from the region. If your stats are higher than average, I guess theybwill take to offset lower stats.
After reading their website it looks like they have a very strong preference for citizens of Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming
Its true they prefer all that, but I will say if theyre looking to fill their class of 150 this late, idk how picky theyre going to be region wise. My guess is theyd be more picky numbers wise. But thats my guess. Idk if they can be very picky at all this cycle
true, but they will still have at least 2000 people to choose from. If they have 100 people from the region with low and average stats, they can pick other 50 with high stats to offset and make their average look good and still accept as much as they can from the region.
You would go here over AZPOD?
I think so. I did my undergrad in Idaho and my wife and I have always wanted to live there. And I have always wanted to work in a rural area. I think if the school’s mission didnt fit exactly what I wanted to do then I maybe wouldnt consider it. However, it fits what I want to do, and when It comes down to it I think I’d rather do primary care than pod.
That being said, if I dont get in I am perfectly happy doing podiatry and will attend AZPod in the fall and am sure I will enjoy it. Itll all just depend!
I feel you on that. I'm waiting to hear back on a couple of DO schools, but I'm 100% fine with doing podiatry and going to azpod
I'm curious how the anatomy lab is going to work out because it looks like they will be sharing one with ISU
same here. I am planning, but I have very low chances. I have updated transcripts to send. but my MCAT is low. I was planning to retake MCAT in the late spring anyways.
I paid deposit to DMU and I know I will be happy as well. I really don't care about prestige or salaries. I always wanted to do pediatrics. Since high school, I was involved in thousands and thousands of hours in various volunteering and job activities working with kids. It goes back when my younger sister barely survived and I was in emergency and surgery when I was a child. These experiences always made me think to work in primary care for children to help them develop, go through milestones and prevent healthcare issues.
That's my main reason. I would like to settle in very rural area. I currently live in a town of ~2000 people. So, that's another reason for DO.
I had several secondaries as well. Still waiting. Otherwise, DMU in the fall.
Did you already get into AZPOD?
Same. I would love to do pediatrics and work in a small college town where I went to school. Guess we will all see within a month or 2!
I would like to practice in a rural area as well. If only DO response was the same as Podiarty schools
Yeah, I got in last month
Sounds like you have a good story. As far as chances, we don’t know yet because there’s no history to draw from but it helps to have ties to the region. It would be amusing if they rigidly stuck to a cutoff of 3.2 the first couple of years. You have nothing to lose except a $45 primary fee, a tiny price to pay for peace of mind that you gave it a shot.
Out of curiosity, I called them and inquired about their cutoffs - they said the 3.2 GPA and 50th percentile on the MCAT are indicative of a strong applicant, but there is no strict cut off (for screening). So I'd say it's worth a shot!
Anybody hear anything yet?
as i had said earlier i have been emailing them back and forth. They messaged me and asked for my grades for the semester ending now so they are definitely looking at applications. To be honest however i can't imagine they will have any interviews until mid January the earliest as they have to still sort out all the people they do not want then choose which to send interviews and allow them time to make arrangements to get there and with the holiday coming up it will only push things even further back
Probably true. A kid commented on their fb page that he was excited for his interview. So I didnt know if they had sent any yet or if he was just confident AF
I heard it will take at least 2-3 weeks before first interview.
Yes I received an email from the school after submitting my primary that it will take about 3 weeks
besides that, I specifically asked this question and I was told that.
I got an II this morning. Interview dates are only for January and February, which clash with my study abroad and other II at another school.
EDIT: They have 7 interview dates between January 17 - Feb 7, in case anyone was wondering.
So is this the question?
Do you want to go to medical school and become a doctor or study abroad in January and February?
Ahh, probably should have clarified that I will be contacting them tomorrow to schedule another time in February. I return in January but have an II scheduled the week they offer February interviews. They give the option to contact them if you need a later date.