2017-2018 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an II this morning. Interview dates are only for January and February, which clash with my study abroad and other II at another school.

EDIT: They have 7 interview dates between January 17 - Feb 7, in case anyone was wondering.
are you from the region? and did you submit on 12/06?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
ICOM asking for at least a 3.2 and 500 is not that bad, right? Are there really not that many people out there with those stats? I know a lot of people have gotten acceptances by now but there's surely plenty of people with no IIs.

I got an II this morning. Interview dates are only for January and February, which clash with my study abroad and other II at another school.

EDIT: They have 7 interview dates between January 17 - Feb 7, in case anyone was wondering.
Are you from one of the preferred states? (Idaho, Montana, etc?)

Members don't see this ad :)
ICOM asking for at least a 3.2 and 500 is not that bad, right? Are there really not that many people out there with those stats? I know a lot of people have gotten acceptances by now but there's surely plenty of people with no IIs.
Only reason I was surprised by it is because established schools do not have cutoffs that high. And someone earlier said ICOM reported that it's not a true cutoff (just seemed like it from ICOM's website wording).

There probably are enough applicants with those stats to fill ICOM. But are there enough applicants that want a new unproven, for-profit school (their administration/professors does/do look solid)? I also assume many applicants will not know to apply to ICOM even if they would want to. This probably dwindles the # of applicants.

Only reason I was surprised by it is because established schools do not have cutoffs that high. And someone earlier said ICOM reported that it's not a true cutoff (just seemed like it from ICOM's website wording).

There probably are enough applicants with those stats to fill ICOM. But are there enough applicants that want a new unproven, for-profit school (their administration/professors does/do look solid)? I also assume many applicants will not know to apply to ICOM even if they would want to. This probably dwindles the # of applicants.

I guess that's true. I just know I'd rather pack a coat than pack some sunscreen.

Would it be worth applying with a cumulative of 3.17? I had a low undergrad GPA, and I retook organic and raised my letter score by 2 letters in both semesters, and have a 3.78 in my masters program.

EDIT: I also have 3000+ scribing hours, and I currently work as a patient transporter as well. I volunteer at a domestic violence shelter 4-6 hours a week as a victim advocate.

Would it be worth applying with a cumulative of 3.17? I had a low undergrad GPA, and I retook organic and raised my letter score by 2 letters in both semesters, and have a 3.78 in my masters program.

EDIT: I also have 3000+ scribing hours, and I currently work as a patient transporter as well. I volunteer at a domestic violence shelter 4-6 hours a week as a victim advocate.
Sounds like it. What is your MCAT?

are you from the region?

BCOM's first year averages were 3.5 and 500

Reactions: 1 users

you mind sharing what your stats looked like

Private loans, not as good as federal ones.
WAIT. THIS SCHOOL DOESNT DO FEDERAL LOANS?

I just submitted my primary here without even looking into the financial aid. Has anyone ever tried to do private loans? Did you go bankrupt? OMG. I can't even imagine how I'd get through school without federal loans. Welp, there's that. I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)

I just submitted my primary here without even looking into the financial aid. Has anyone ever tried to do private loans? Did you go bankrupt? OMG. I can't even imagine how I'd get through school without federal loans. Welp, there's that. I guess.
I am sure they are harder to get and pay out.

in my honest opinion if your stats are ok id just wait a cycle and apply elsewhere

Anybody have an idea as to how many they’ll probably accept and what the class size is?

Every new school doesn't get federal loans at the beginning...and yet the students manage just fine. It's not optimal, but better than not getting in.

Every new school doesn't get federal loans at the beginning...and yet the students manage just fine. It's not optimal, but better than not getting in.
I guess its harder to get private loans especially with lower credit scores or rates will be like 10-15% which is crazy. I don't think many have 750+ scores.

Anybody have an idea as to how many they’ll probably accept and what the class size is?
I take it back. Approved is 150 but there is 8% variance to allow for attrition so they plan on 162.

They might accept 250+ though.

Just wondering if everyone who has applied meet the 3.2 gpa and 500 mcat

Probably not. Don't be fooled by those stats.... those are "ideally" what they want. If they don't get enough applicants/matriculants with those stats coming in the door, what are they gonna do? That benchmark was probably set b/c the dean is from CUSOM, and this is their benchmark. Just apply and see what happens.

For note: ARCOM listed similar expectations for their incoming class, then removed it from their website a few months in b/c clearly they weren't getting it.

Does anyone know if HPSP scholarships will work at this school?

Probably not. Don't be fooled by those stats.... those are "ideally" what they want. If they don't get enough applicants/matriculants with those stats coming in the door, what are they gonna do? That benchmark was probably set b/c the dean is from CUSOM, and this is their benchmark. Just apply and see what happens.

For note: ARCOM listed similar expectations for their incoming class, then removed it from their website a few months in b/c clearly they weren't getting it.
Cool good to know. It's actually not for me. I'm a pgy3 resident right now. It's for my SO. I'm actually the one who logged into his account and paid the $45 for the application. Lol he was convinced it was futile. No regrets so far !! Hopefully we hear back.

Interview invite this morning!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys! Just to clarify, there is no secondary for this school right? I didn't want to be waiting for something that isn't there lol

Interview invite this morning!

I have to bug you with a million questions
1. Stats?
2. Where are you from? (Ie. From their preferred 5-state area)
3. When did you submit primary?
4. What dates were offered?

Id really appreciate a response :) (but also understand if you’re not inclined to answer)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I just received an interview invite this morning!!

II with 3.65c GPA 3.55s and 498. Schedule for 2/5

Last edited:
Interview invite this morning. I am from California overall 3.56 science 3.53 500mcat.

ii for 2/12

3.55cgpa
3.45 sgpa
498 mcat with no section below 124
A lot of work/volunteer experience in healthcare field

II today scheduled for 1/29. No connection to the region, 3.6 cgpa 511 MCAT

Reactions: 2 users
I already got accepted into somewhere else but I wanted to check out this area and their program.

Do you mind me asking when you submitted your application?
I submitted my application on 12/06 and received the verification email from ICOM on 12/12.

Are you thinking of applying?

Congrats on receiving II! For those receiving an II did they send out the batch of II's all at once or was it spaced out.

I submitted my application on 12/06 and received the verification email from ICOM on 12/12.

Are you thinking of applying?
Yeah I actually submitted my application 12/12 and received the email from ICOM on 12/13. My stats are very similar to yours haha, except I am from Texas

Does anyone know if the campus is still under construction or if construction is complete? Just curious if we’ll be interviewing at the actual campus or a separate location.

Does anyone know if the campus is still under construction or if construction is complete? Just curious if we’ll be interviewing at the actual campus or a separate location.

At the school, probably still under construction by then.. maybe

Interview invite this AM!!! sub-500 MCAT :diebanana: 3.5 sGPA 3.6ish cGPA, publications, lots of hours/experience, not from Idaho but absolutely love Idaho. What kind of questions should we expect at the interview?! so nervous and excited

The address they gave in the II email is different from the school address listed under the "contact us" section of the ICOM website. However, the II email does mention "tours".

There's also a construction site cam on the website, looks like they've made significant progress but I still don't know if it'll be complete. We'll probably be interviewing at some sort of office location.

Congrats on everyone who got interviews!!! For interview questions, I'd recommend checking out what CUSOM students had as interview questions. The dean and some other staff are from CUSOM and seems like some of the same infrastructure is being used here, so possibly the same interview questions can be used as well. In general, know 1) Why Medicine/Why DO 2) Why ICOM (including location) and 3) Know your app in and out and be prepared to elaborate on your experiences and how that's made you who you are today and why you want to do medicine. Know about a time you failed and how you would handle it, a bit about healthcare reform and policy, and be prepared to answer any questions regarding low gpa or mcat.

Reactions: 4 users
The address they gave in the II email is different from the school address listed under the "contact us" section of the ICOM website. However, the II email does mention "tours".

There's also a construction site cam on the website, looks like they've made significant progress but I still don't know if it'll be complete. We'll probably be interviewing at some sort of office location.

The address they give you in the email is Franklin Rd, which is ICOM's address. You can also google ICOM's address = Franklin Rd. The contact info is different. But, I also thought what you did until I did some more researching.

Yeah I actually submitted my application 12/12 and received the email from ICOM on 12/13. My stats are very similar to yours haha, except I am from Texas

Unrelated to medical school comment: High five for Mobile Suit Gundam!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile