2017-2018 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks, did you go to undergrad at Liberty?

Nope. UNC Greensboro. There are a good dozen or so in my class that did though. Why?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm an OMS 2 at LUCOM. The Oasis at Vue near the school has some perks based on its location and it already has furniture which is nice. I lived there during my first year but I would like to warn anyone who decides to live there that it is a complex that has lots of undergraduate students. Based on where you are placed in the apartment, you may be around lots of undergraduate students who are noisy.

I now live in the Downtown Lynchburg Area (@Wonwonder) under the company that owns Imperial Tobacco Lofts, Midpoint Apartments, and Factory 88. I definitely enjoy it a lot more than my time at Oasis. In my opinion, Oasis was too close to school where it was hard for me to separate my personal life from school since Oasis was down the road.

Hi, looking forward to beginning OMS I in LUCOM this July/August!!! I've been looking to stay at the Oasis at Vue, at least through my first year, since I do prefer proximity to campus and living with the student community. Was wondering if it's possible to walk down from there to the LUCOM building, or if LUCOM is accessible only through driving/shuttle service? Also, was wondering about meal plans and/or dining halls on campus that would work for LUCOM students (preferably a deal that doesn't require a lot of walking/driving/commuting)?

NS was in south Florida somewhere. This is just hearsay though, no official list is out. No clue on Opto.

Thanks for this info! If perchance you have the opportunity to find out where in south Florida NS was it woulr be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if this is the right place but I don't want to start an inappropriate thread or expose myself. will i be able to fit in with the culture at Lucom if I'm conservative but not religious. Also, how much focus is put on OMM? I am looking for a school that puts as little emphasis on it as possible.

Yes to the first question. As far as OMM goes, 3 hours of class a week, 1 is lecture, 2 are lab. You have to dedicate time to it or it will bite you in the butt come test time. I don't know how other schools teach it, so i can't compare.

I'm about a 3 out of 10 on the OMM enjoyment scale at the moment. So i can feel you on the minimal emphasis idea. However, you do want to be well prepared for boards. And i think LUCOM does that.

Yes to the first question. As far as OMM goes, 3 hours of class a week, 1 is lecture, 2 are lab. You have to dedicate time to it or it will bite you in the butt come test time. I don't know how other schools teach it, so i can't compare.

I'm about a 3 out of 10 on the OMM enjoyment scale at the moment. So i can feel you on the minimal emphasis idea. However, you do want to be well prepared for boards. And i think LUCOM does that.

Thanks for the info. Three hours a week seems reasonable. How many of your classmates are also taking USMLE step 1? Does LUCOM offer any support for students who plan on taking both comlex and usmle?

Thanks for the info. Three hours a week seems reasonable. How many of your classmates are also taking USMLE step 1? Does LUCOM offer any support for students who plan on taking both comlex and usmle?

~55 of the 4th years took USMLE, roughly 45% of the class (or that's how many went into NRMP match) - As far as my class, 2021, I'm not sure. The AOA is pushing really hard for DO students just to take the COMLEX due to the merger. I'm 99% sure this is a bad idea if you want to do a competitive specialty. I've verified with one long time ACGME EM program PD that they will still require the USMLE even after the merger is complete... So, with that being said, I hope the majority of my class takes both boards. But it reality it will probably be somewhere around 50% since a fair number of them want to do primary care.

Reactions: 1 user
~55 of the 4th years took USMLE, roughly 45% of the class (or that's how many went into NRMP match) - As far as my class, 2021, I'm not sure. The AOA is pushing really hard for DO students just to take the COMLEX due to the merger. I'm 99% sure this is a bad idea if you want to do a competitive specialty. I've verified with one long time ACGME EM program PD that they will still require the USMLE even after the merger is complete... So, with that being said, I hope the majority of my class takes both boards. But it reality it will probably be somewhere around 50% since a fair number of them want to do primary care.

Can concur. I know some who are thinking of doing both, others who are thinking of just COMLEX. It really depends what specialty you want, and it will probably be a topic that they talk to us about come second year

Hi, looking forward to beginning OMS I in LUCOM this July/August!!! I've been looking to stay at the Oasis at Vue, at least through my first year, since I do prefer proximity to campus and living with the student community. Was wondering if it's possible to walk down from there to the LUCOM building, or if LUCOM is accessible only through driving/shuttle service? Also, was wondering about meal plans and/or dining halls on campus that would work for LUCOM students (preferably a deal that doesn't require a lot of walking/driving/commuting)?
Hey there! It's possible to walk but there's long winding road from Candler's Mountain to the school. They are also doing lots of construction around that area so safety wise a car is a good idea. I am not aware of anyone that is on a meal plan. The Wal-mart and Target sit across the street from the main campus. There is a mini cafeteria area on the bottom floor where some people buy meals. The Oasis and the school are on "The Mountain" so just having a car is a necessity. Medical school is already a mental mountain so haha yeah I can't imagine myself trying to reach to their dining halls by walking there. There is a bus that goes around but it's not reliable since your schedule in OMSI varies day to day.

Anyone who got that "We accepted you, but don't pay your deposits yet, because we are too full" e-mail hear anything back yet?

nope, nothing yet. It is very unprofessional of them to do this, especially this late in the cycle.
Yes, I agree. I do not understand why we are required to have such competitive grades and scores, if someone in their office cannot properly count the amount of individuals they have accepted.

Yes, I agree. I do not understand why we are required to have such competitive grades and scores, if someone in their office cannot properly count the amount of individuals they have accepted.

Just a theory here, but I feel as if this email comes from something other than their counting skills.

I believe that enough accepted students have put full deposits down to fill the class, however, it sounds like the email you got is saying, “hey, class is full, we accepted you, if someone that got in earlier backs out we’ll call you.”

Admissions is balancing between accepted full deposit students, a priority waitlist, and a general waitlist to ensure the proper amount of students matriculates this fall.

Maybe that helps, I don’t know. If not, shoot me a message or just call admissions and see what’s up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a theory here, but I feel as if this email comes from something other than their counting skills.

I believe that enough accepted students have put full deposits down to fill the class, however, it sounds like the email you got is saying, “hey, class is full, we accepted you, if someone that got in earlier backs out we’ll call you.”

Admissions is balancing between accepted full deposit students, a priority waitlist, and a general waitlist to ensure the proper amount of students matriculates this fall.

Maybe that helps, I don’t know. If not, shoot me a message or just call admissions and see what’s up.

No, the email I got was followed a week after the acceptance phone call I received. If it were "hey we have accepted you, but we cannot admit you", then it would have been in the same e-mail and I would have never received an acceptance phone call. I have spoken to admissions, but thanks for the advice.

No, the email I got was followed a week after the acceptance phone call I received. If it were "hey we have accepted you, but we cannot admit you", then it would have been in the same e-mail and I would have never received an acceptance phone call. I have spoken to admissions, but thanks for the advice.

What’d they say when you called? Seems odd

What’d they say when you called? Seems odd

When I spoke to admissions, a week after I received the acceptance phone call, and then received the "don't pay deposits" email? They said the same thing. I was accepted into LUCOM, but they did not anticipate their amount of acceptances and there were no seats available for me and I should hold off on paying the deposit.

When I spoke to admissions, a week after I received the acceptance phone call, and then received the "don't pay deposits" email? They said the same thing. I was accepted into LUCOM, but they did not anticipate their amount of acceptances and there were no seats available for me and I should hold off on paying the deposit.

Fair enough. They had mentioned something at the last deans hour about accepting slightly more than the class size in anticipation that some of he students that have already put the full deposit down will still back out before matriculation. Maybe that’s the case. Sorry you’re in a sticky situation like that.

Fair enough. They had mentioned something at the last deans hour about accepting slightly more than the class size in anticipation that some of he students that have already put the full deposit down will still back out before matriculation. Maybe that’s the case. Sorry you’re in a sticky situation like that.

Honestly people that are already accepted and have put down deposits might still backout. For example, I’m hoping to get off waitlist at my #1 school and if I do, I’d definitely back out of lucom despite paying my full deposit. So for those waiting to pay their deposit who are already accepted, don’t worry y’all! Im sure lots of other people will drop!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey there! It's possible to walk but there's long winding road from Candler's Mountain to the school. They are also doing lots of construction around that area so safety wise a car is a good idea. I am not aware of anyone that is on a meal plan. The Wal-mart and Target sit across the street from the main campus. There is a mini cafeteria area on the bottom floor where some people buy meals. The Oasis and the school are on "The Mountain" so just having a car is a necessity. Medical school is already a mental mountain so haha yeah I can't imagine myself trying to reach to their dining halls by walking there. There is a bus that goes around but it's not reliable since your schedule in OMSI varies day to day.

Thank you very much for the info, really appreciate it!

Not sure if this is the right place but I don't want to start an inappropriate thread or expose myself. Will I be able to fit in with the culture at Lucom if I'm conservative but not religious. Also, how much focus is put on OMM? I am looking for a school that puts as little emphasis on it as possible.
I just wanted to address this myself. If you're applying to a DO school, I think you should be fully on board with the view that we have. We treat the patient as a whole, and use OMM as another tool in our belts. If you do not wish to learn about OMM, then you should focus on only applying to MD schools, as the COMLEX has OMM integrated into a large portion of the questions, and you will need to be proficient in order to pass. OMM will give you a better understanding of anatomy and physiology than what you'll learn in textbooks at an MD school. I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but each person should go into the field that speaks the most true to who they are. Right people, right jobs.

To address your other question about being conservative, but not religious: I believe that as long as you are open to talks about religion, you should be fine. Know that this is a Christian school, and there will be topics surrounding that. I am christian, and lean much more to the 'liberal' point of view, but haven't seen any real complaints from any classmates about the religious aspect of school here. It's a safe environment, and they just ask for you to accept them as they accept you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I just wanted to address this myself. If you're applying to a DO school, I think you should be fully on board with the view that we have. We treat the patient as a whole, and use OMM as another tool in our belts. If you do not wish to learn about OMM, then you should focus on only applying to MD schools, as the COMLEX has OMM integrated into a large portion of the questions, and you will need to be proficient in order to pass. OMM will give you a better understanding of anatomy and physiology than what you'll learn in textbooks at an MD school. I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but each person should go into the field that speaks the most true to who they are. Right people, right jobs.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not sure if this is the right place but I don't want to start an inappropriate thread or expose myself. Will I be able to fit in with the culture at Lucom if I'm conservative but not religious. Also, how much focus is put on OMM? I am looking for a school that puts as little emphasis on it as possible.
I'm going to have to agree with Pan on this one. If you are looking for minimal OMM, an MD school might be a better option as we are trained to provide care utilizing OMM as one of our tools and we are heavily tested on it not only here but also on COMLEX. A DO school that puts little emphasis on OMM is not preparing you for boards and you are not getting your money worth from that DO school.

Reactions: 6 users
I appreciate the feedback. I am applying to DO schools because my first two years of college will likely prevent me from gaining acceptance to any MD schools. If I had a better chance of attending an allopathic school I would not be applying to any osteopathic schools . I don't agree with the supposed differentiation between allopathic/osteopathic. Just being candid. At the end of the day, whether you have a DO or a MD after your name you're still a doctor practicing evidence based medicine. I don't think the cognitive dissonance will bother me. I kinda figured that the whole "seeing a patient as a whole" and OMM were kinda of just flowery statements/bs that are accompanied with a wink and a nod.
I'm glad that I found out that it is not the case so I don't make the mistake of addressing it or raising the ire of anyone outside of a message board.

Glad to hear that Liberty is a welcoming campus. I've always visited SDN with the notion that I should take everything I see here with a grain of salt. Seems like the "bad-rap" is nothing more than religious bigotry which is FAR too common these days. I'm not religious but I do enjoy exegesis even if I don't believe anything is literally true in the either the new or the old testament. Both books have some pretty amazing insights into humanity and I tend to agree with the Christian view of human nature. Based on your feedback I can see myself having no issues with the mission of the school. I appreciate your responses and am definitely adding Liberty to my growing list of schools that I will be applying to this cycle.

Hey guys, quick question about final transcripts: I will soon be submitting them to LUCOM, and was wondering about the Inorganic Chemistry requirement (2 Chem courses with lab). In the university I did my undergrad in (in Canada), they only offer 1 introductory Inorganic or General Chemistry course with a lab, where they go over all the concepts that would be covered in 2 Inorganic courses at an undergrad school in the US. Any other Gen Chem or related courses are either restricted to Chem majors, or would require much more in-depth knowledge than introductory concepts. In addition, I do have another course in Physical Chem, but it does not have a lab. Do you think that this would be any issue when I submit my final transcript?

Hey guys, quick question about final transcripts: I will soon be submitting them to LUCOM, and was wondering about the Inorganic Chemistry requirement (2 Chem courses with lab). In the university I did my undergrad in (in Canada), they only offer 1 introductory Inorganic or General Chemistry course with a lab, where they go over all the concepts that would be covered in 2 Inorganic courses at an undergrad school in the US. Any other Gen Chem or related courses are either restricted to Chem majors, or would require much more in-depth knowledge than introductory concepts. In addition, I do have another course in Physical Chem, but it does not have a lab. Do you think that this would be any issue when I submit my final transcript?

That might be a case to email the admissions team about and see what they say. We do have an international student from Canada (maybe more? I'm not sure) so the admissions team may have experience with this one already and may be able to give you a definite answer.

I was waitlisted earlier in the year. With all of the "deferred" acceptances, do you think think there's any hope? :(

I was waitlisted earlier in the year. With all of the "deferred" acceptances, do you think think there's any hope? :(
Again, a lot of people typically are pulled off the waitlist in May, June, and even through July if necessary. Just from talking to others in my class, it seemed like this happened to a lot of them. So yes, there is hope! Continue to express interest if you really want to be here.

Hopefully this will give you all that are anxiously waiting some hope. I am giving up my seat a LUCOM later today after being accepted to an in-state school. I pray my seat goes to one of you guys!

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone have good threads about the HPSP scholarship or military medicine? I thought that would be a good path for me while I'm young (22 y.o) and single. It piqued my interest because I thought it would be a good opportunity to experience a different patient population. Also, to my understanding, the commitment equals the number of years they pay for schooling. I am wondering how the residency works because I've heard one horror story about someone getting pulled mid-residency to their commitment (not sure how true that was, just hearsay). Simply looking for a place to read more about it and get other physicians, who have gone through it, perspective. Feel free to inbox me. Thank you.

Anyone have good threads about the HPSP scholarship or military medicine? I thought that would be a good path for me while I'm young (22 y.o) and single. It piqued my interest because I thought it would be a good opportunity to experience a different patient population. Also, to my understanding, the commitment equals the number of years they pay for schooling. I am wondering how the residency works because I've heard one horror story about someone getting pulled mid-residency to their commitment (not sure how true that was, just hearsay). Simply looking for a place to read more about it and get other physicians, who have gone through it, perspective. Feel free to inbox me. Thank you.

I could see that only happening in a few situations, i think that person was a flight surgeon (if its the same rumor) - the AF needed a FS during a high tempo deployment period, probably mid 2000's. I'm not milmed or prior military. But researched the heck out of HPSP, tried to do it, i'm medically defective though lol.

Go to the military medicine forum on here. There are tons of pro and con threads. I think it's a good deal IF you want to be in the military. Do it for the right reasons, not just the money.

detailed no. But general,

1 week of Orientation in late July

6 weeks of BFOM - Biochem heavy class with some micro, immuno, and genetics mixed in.

6 weeks of IMSK - everything bones and muscles from superficial neck all the way to down to the feet.(start of anatomy lab)

6 weeks of CVRH - lungs and heart, EKGs, fluid dynamics, starlings curves, ect. Dissection includes anything in chest cavity.

during the fall semester you have PCM 101 (patient skills stuff with SP encounter), OMM 101, and Ethics 101. PCM and OMM meet once a week. Ethics is every 3-4 weeks.

There are tests every-other monday.

Sorry I meant first semester. Sorry for omissive snafu!

detailed no. But general,

1 week of Orientation in late July

6 weeks of BFOM - Biochem heavy class with some micro, immuno, and genetics mixed in.

6 weeks of IMSK - everything bones and muscles from superficial neck all the way to down to the feet.(start of anatomy lab)

6 weeks of CVRH - lungs and heart, EKGs, fluid dynamics, starlings curves, ect. Dissection includes anything in chest cavity.

during the fall semester you have PCM 101 (patient skills stuff with SP encounter), OMM 101, and Ethics 101. PCM and OMM meet once a week. Ethics is every 3-4 weeks.

There are tests every-other monday.

Thank you very much! Do you know what the times and days were for the classes throughout the semester as well what days were the labs and OMM because as I understand it those are the only mandatory portions?

Generally classes will start at 8am, sometimes 9am or 10am. Depends on what's going on.

Our mandatory classes were on Wednesday and Thursday. On those days you could have lab until 5pm. Anatomy lab is also on those days, so you would have OMM lab from 1-3 and then Anatomy from 3-5. Some days 2nd semester you will have anatomy lab 3-4 days a week, in neuro.

During BFOM, your first class, there are a lot of required classes due to there being quizzes. Not sure if they are changing that for 2022 or not. I don't remember that being a thing in CVRH or IMSK.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone, here are the class numbers as of last week:
161/162 spots are currently filled & paid for
10 more have been accepted
35 have been placed on a preferred waitlist
~50 more are on the extended waitlist

I know that they are doing everything possible to get everyone that has been accepted a spot, but there will be movement as we draw closer to matriculation. Last year, three people pulled out during the week of orientation, so it's not unheard of to come in a little closer to the date. If you're willing to draw it that close and make it work, just reach out to the ADCOM and let them know of your availability.
For those of you that have not been accepted and are on the waitlist, I would encourage you to apply again, as the application cycle has opened up to start on your primaries. If you want some help with your application, or if you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to contact me.

Hey everyone, here are the class numbers as of last week:
161/162 spots are currently filled & paid for
10 more have been accepted
35 have been placed on a preferred waitlist
~50 more are on the extended waitlist

I know that they are doing everything possible to get everyone that has been accepted a spot, but there will be movement as we draw closer to matriculation. Last year, three people pulled out during the week of orientation, so it's not unheard of to come in a little closer to the date. If you're willing to draw it that close and make it work, just reach out to the ADCOM and let them know of your availability.
For those of you that have not been accepted and are on the waitlist, I would encourage you to apply again, as the application cycle has opened up to start on your primaries. If you want some help with your application, or if you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to contact me.

...So some people who were accepted might not be able to get a spot in the class? Do the LUCOM adcoms realize that that's completely unacceptable?

I apologize beforehand because this is kind of off topic to the issue of acceptances without a spot available and whatnot, but what is the grading structure for 1st year? Pass/fail or grades?

I apologize beforehand because this is kind of off topic to the issue of acceptances without a spot available and whatnot, but what is the grading structure for 1st year? Pass/fail or grades?

% grade. 69.5-100 is passing,

They don't seem to care much

Actually, LUCOM faculty and administration are very caring across the board. With that in mind, I'm not sure that any of us should have posted what was relayed to us because we have a very small piece of the puzzle and there is a lot more that goes on behind closed doors that we aren't filled in about. I know times are stressful right now but hopefully I can shed some light!

As far as what @I_am_the_pan shared, it is what they told us but this isn't a scenario specific to LUCOM. To my knowledge, every medical school accepts more students than they have seats every single year. From what I remember when I was applying, the general amount was around 1.5x the number of seats was the amount of acceptances that schools usually extend to interviewees. (1.5x might even be on the lower end.)

This is done with the prediction that a significant portion of these accepted students receive acceptances elsewhere leading them to pick out of multiple schools and thus rejecting their acceptance to the remaining ones. (Also, students decide to reject their acceptances for many other reasons, obviously.) What appears to be happening at LUCOM for this cycle is that there has been the usual amount of students accepted without the accompanying dip in students who typically reject such acceptance offer by now. This doesn't mean that more students won't decide elsewhere thus freeing up more seats, its just to say that those are the stats as they stand currently. Again, we know essentially nothing about what is going on other than the numbers that were announced to our student body recently.

As was stated before, keep in touch with the ADCOM members that you've already interacted with to send them updates/ask for updates. They are all more than willing to share whatever they can with you.

Hang in there!

Actually, LUCOM faculty and administration are very caring across the board. With that in mind, I'm not sure that any of us should have posted what was relayed to us because we have a very small piece of the puzzle and there is a lot more that goes on behind closed doors that we aren't filled in about. I know times are stressful right now but hopefully I can shed some light!

As far as what @I_am_the_pan shared, it is what they told us but this isn't a scenario specific to LUCOM. To my knowledge, every medical school accepts more students than they have seats every single year. From what I remember when I was applying, the general amount was around 1.5x the number of seats was the amount of acceptances that schools usually extend to interviewees. (1.5x might even be on the lower end.)

This is done with the prediction that a significant portion of these accepted students receive acceptances elsewhere leading them to pick out of multiple schools and thus rejecting their acceptance to the remaining ones. (Also, students decide to reject their acceptances for many other reasons, obviously.) What appears to be happening at LUCOM for this cycle is that there has been the usual amount of students accepted without the accompanying dip in students who typically reject such acceptance offer by now. This doesn't mean that more students won't decide elsewhere thus freeing up more seats, its just to say that those are the stats as they stand currently. Again, we know essentially nothing about what is going on other than the numbers that were announced to our student body recently.

As was stated before, keep in touch with the ADCOM members that you've already interacted with to send them updates/ask for updates. They are all more than willing to share whatever they can with you.

Hang in there!

Lol, this is precisely why medical schools have waitlists: to create a buffer so that they never over-extend acceptances. There's absolutely no excuse for what the adcoms at LUCOM are doing.

If more than 162 people end up wanting to matriculate, then LUCOM better either expand its class size to fit them all in or give the left-over students an option to matriculate the following year with generous scholarships.

Lol, this is precisely why medical schools have waitlists: to create a buffer so that they never over-extend acceptances. There's absolutely no excuse for what the adcoms at LUCOM are doing.

If more than 162 people end up wanting to matriculate, then LUCOM better either expand its class size to fit them all in or give the left-over students an option to matriculate the following year with generous scholarships.

I completely understand the frustration and I would be feeling the same way if I was in your shoes. Again, nothing about what I said is definitive but I just wanted to throw in my understanding of the general practice carried out by most medical schools.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to the admissions office if you have specific questions. None of us on here can provide any real answers to these types of questions other than to relay the little information that is passed on to us.

I wish you the best!

They don't seem to care much
It’s not that we/they don’t care, I’m just not on SDN 24/7. I apologize for any inconvenience that my delay has caused, that was not my intention.
It’s fairly common for schools to issue more acceptances, because a lot of applicants tend to give up their spots. It just so happened that nobody really gave up their spots here as is normally the case. This will all be resolved in the end.
I know that it’s easy to complain about things, especially online where there is a lack of personal contact, but if you’re seeking a professional future in medicine (or any professional environment), please realize that sometimes there are inconveniences. It’s of no benefit to you to speak poorly of anyone, especially an institution to which you are applying for matriculation.

Reactions: 4 users
random question, will there be an announcement or a "party" for LUCOM to be officially accredited? (did I miss anything? hehe)

random question, will there be an announcement or a "party" for LUCOM to be officially accredited? (did I miss anything? hehe)
I have not heard of anything as of yet, but I'm sure they will. I'll get you more details as I hear them.

LUCOM received full accreditation today from COCA.

Reactions: 5 users
Do any current students remember whether their financial aide refund was processed prior to classes starting for first year or after the start of classes?

Withdrawing my acceptance at LUCOM. Good luck to those still waiting!