2017-2018 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm 90% sure we had an exam the day we came back from Thanksgiving break, which would mean the following weekend would've be an off weekend. The schedule changes year to year though depending on how they work the courses. You probably won't know the specifics of that time period till sometime in August sadly.

This isn't accurate. We had Monday and Tuesday lectures then we were off from Wednesday until the Monday after Thanksgiving. Then we had that full week of lectures and then an exam the Monday after that week. I remember this because I thought I would get ahead over break because I didn't travel anywhere for it.

You should be fine to take off. I believe a majority of our class did and some left the weekend before the break and just got caught up watching lectures from a distance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am starting here in the fall and was wondering if any current students can tell me what to expect as far as a Thanksgiving holiday. One of my best friends is getting married in New Jersey the Saturday after Thanksgiving and I am trying to start planning our trip. Thanks!
Congratulations on choosing LUCOM! It’s honestly so fun here, and I’ve had a blast my first year. As previously stated, you should be completely fine to take off over that break. You’ll have Wednesday-Sunday free (most likely). The staff here is really understanding that we all have lives outside of school, and try not to give us anything to work on over the breaks.

Hey, can any current student help me out. I’m wanting to start to look for housing and would like to know the estimate for living expenses. I couldn’t find any detailed breakdown on the website. Thanks

Hey, can any current student help me out. I’m wanting to start to look for housing and would like to know the estimate for living expenses. I couldn’t find any detailed breakdown on the website. Thanks

Here is 2022's Facebook group. Some of the students posted info on local housing in there.

Moreso a traumatized memory from that exam. (CVRH Exam 2 was that next exam...)

Probably not as traumatizing as our OMM midterm on Thursday. :)

Here is 2022's Facebook group. Some of the students posted info on local housing in there.

Probably not as traumatizing as our OMM midterm on Thursday. :)

Ahaaaaa don't talk about that. But yeah the 2022's facebook page should be able to help you with that one, because prices vary around the area. Some places go pretty cheap but others are more expensive. It's still way cheaper than home for me though. (I live in northeast us)

They made calls today? Why aren't there more people posting "ACCEPTED" or "REJECTED" like the usual call days?
When did you interview?

2/15 :) Dr. Patton was so nice. I said my wife was nearby when we were talking and he asked to be put on speaker phone. He said some really nice things and was encouraging to my wife. I'm still not 100 percent sure I'll be coming to LUCOM come fall but really appreciate how supportive Liberty is!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
2/15 :) Dr. Patton was so nice. I said my wife was nearby when we were talking and he asked to be put on speaker phone. He said some really nice things and was encouraging to my wife. I'm still not 100 percent sure I'll be coming to LUCOM come fall but really appreciate how supportive Liberty is!

So you interviewed on 2/15, and you received an acceptance call today?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 2/15. Accepted 3/1.

Anyone else get the email about not paying deposits?

Maybe they are waiting for their full accreditation to go through. I believe right now they are still only on a provisional accreditation.

Maybe they are waiting for their full accreditation to go through. I believe right now they are still only on a provisional accreditation.

I don't think so. I think they have too many offers out right now. Maybe something to keep in mind if you are interviewing.

Interviewed 2/15. Accepted 3/1.

Anyone else get the email about not paying deposits?

I Interviewed 2/16, was also accepted 3/1
I received that same email about not paying deposits and am feeling very odd about it. I emailed admissions today to inquire further so I'm waiting to see what they say.

That's not it.

I'll ask Dr.Patton next week if i see him.

Typically, medical schools that have miscounted the amount of people they have accepted will offer scholarships if some of the students defer until next year; Has anyone heard if they are offering this or are they solely rescinding/delaying the acceptance status of the students who received the "don't pay for the deposit yet" email? Additionally, does anyone know why they are still interviewing if they already have a list of wait-listed students and a list of accepted students that cannot pay for their deposits yet, due to the lack of seats? I am not entirely sure why, but this all sounds very shady... Loved the school when I visited and loved the interview process, but it sounds like they are hiding something.

First of all, thanks for the concern guys. I've never heard of this sort of thing, and as NickMT said, he'll get around to asking as soon as he can. For now try to avoid jumping to too many conclusions. I don't think it's them hiding anything, and as a note to what I read (if I read it correctly?? I could be wrong, I'm tired), many schools give many interviews, more than their seats, due to students getting acceptances elsewhere, last minute choosing not to go for various reasons. Like I said before though, the deposit situation is odd and I haven't heard of it before, sorry I can't help you there. It could be as simple as their way to pay deposits just isn't working right now, it could be something else entirely.

We'll do our best, but also if you're that curious, email admissions if you haven't already (to those that have and haven't gotten replies, sorry!) and ask about their emails that ask to not pay deposits. We can't give every answer that, but they may be able to. Won't do you any good to just speculate instead of just asking them.

Reactions: 1 users
I wrote in response to me asking them, and they said "too many acceptances were given out". It was not speculation.

First of all, thanks for the concern guys. I've never heard of this sort of thing, and as NickMT said, he'll get around to asking as soon as he can. For now try to avoid jumping to too many conclusions. I don't think it's them hiding anything, and as a note to what I read (if I read it correctly?? I could be wrong, I'm tired), many schools give many interviews, more than their seats, due to students getting acceptances elsewhere, last minute choosing not to go for various reasons. Like I said before though, the deposit situation is odd and I haven't heard of it before, sorry I can't help you there. It could be as simple as their way to pay deposits just isn't working right now, it could be something else entirely.

We'll do our best, but also if you're that curious, email admissions if you haven't already (to those that have and haven't gotten replies, sorry!) and ask about their emails that ask to not pay deposits. We can't give every answer that, but they may be able to. Won't do you any good to just speculate instead of just asking them.

I wrote in response to me asking them, and they said "too many acceptances were given out". It was not speculation.

Ugh I interviewed on the on early March. Its annoying that they ran out of seats. Makes me feel like there are no chances of getting.

Ugh I interviewed on the on early March. Its annoying that they ran out of seats. Makes me feel like there are no chances of getting.
There are acceptances all the way through July, seats open up all the time as applicants elect to go to other schools. Applicants can only hold one acceptance after some date in May (check AACOM for the exact date). A lot more seats will open up then and there will be a lot of waitlist movement in May-July. Applicants get pulled off the waitlist from a higher choice school and will chose to drop their acceptance at LUCOM. There will be seats, you will have a chance to get in. We even had two people drop this past year during orientation. I interviewed in March of last year and got accepted in May. Don't give up, continue to express interest that you want to be here and I'm confident you'll get in. LUCOM wants students that want to be here.

Reactions: 3 users
@kristysmiles may not be around anymore considering I did some cervical HVLA on her earlier... with a little too much H and L. Hope you can move your upper and lower extremities tomorrow. :(

But i agree with what she said. I'm still on the lookout for admissions staff and will ask questions when possible.

There are acceptances all the way through July, seats open up all the time as applicants elect to go to other schools. Applicants can only hold one acceptance after some date in May (check AACOM for the exact date). A lot more seats will open up then and there will be a lot of waitlist movement in May-July. Applicants get pulled off the waitlist from a higher choice school and will chose to drop their acceptance at LUCOM. There will be seats, you will have a chance to get in. We even had two people drop this past year during orientation. I interviewed in March of last year and got accepted in May. Don't give up, continue to express interest that you want to be here and I'm confident you'll get in. LUCOM wants students that want to be here.
Thank you for the response. This does sound pretty promising. I felt like both of my interviews went well so hopefully an acceptance or at least a waitlist offer is around the corner!

Had some financial aid counseling today. Was told that the average student debt at LUCOM is about 250k upon graduation. Can any 3rd/4th years confirm that ballpark? Thanks in advance!

Hey guys,

I was wondering how most of the students have their health insurance as students and how much it typically costs there?
I have always had my hi through my employer, so I'd love to know so I can plan ahead. Thanks!

Had some financial aid counseling today. Was told that the average student debt at LUCOM is about 250k upon graduation. Can any 3rd/4th years confirm that ballpark? Thanks in advance!

That sounds about right for where i will be...

Hey guys,

I was wondering how most of the students have their health insurance as students and how much it typically costs there?
I have always had my hi through my employer, so I'd love to know so I can plan ahead. Thanks!

Use a marketplace plan at the moment (100-400 a month is probably the ballpark range). LUCOM may start having student plans sometime in the future.

Hey y’all, I was wondering how much dedicated study time do you get between the end of second year and when rotations start to study for boards? Do you have to take any other classes during that time period in terms of preparing for clinicals ?

Does anyone know how the match went? or maybe have the match list?

Based on what I’ve seen so far on local news outlets and the 2018 Match List thread, LUCOM had an overall 93ish % match rate between AOA & NRMP (60/64 for the latter). I’m sure someone with more info and specifics will chime in eventually!

In short, Pretty good :clap:

Last edited:

We are on spring break so chatter is nearly non-existent. I'm sure more info will surface when school goes back in session.

Just a little update while on spring break:
LUCOM will be finishing off their interviews this coming week (03/26-03/30) for the class of 2022! I will be performing the lunch tour on Monday, so let me know if you have any questions before that time!
About the state of the acceptances: We have been informed that this move to finish off interviews by the end of March is due to the large amount of extraordinary applicants. The acceptance list is full, and the wait list looks very promising as well. The adcom is certain that there will be a bit of movement as matriculation draws closer, and students are required to narrow down their acceptances to only one school, so don't worry if you are on the wait list now.
Congratulations to everyone that has been accepted or wait-listed. Please reach out to me if you have any questions or concerns about the school, or even if you need some advice on how to bolster your application for next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Just a little update while on spring break:
LUCOM will be finishing off their interviews this coming week (03/26-03/30) for the class of 2022! I will be performing the lunch tour on Monday, so let me know if you haven any questions before that time!
About the state of the acceptances: We have been informed that this move to finish off interviews by the end of March is due to the large amount of extraordinary applicants. The acceptance list is full, and the wait list looks very promising as well. The adcom is certain that there will be a bit of movement as matriculation draws closer, and students are required to narrow down their acceptances to only one school, so don't worry if you are on the wait list now.
Congratulations to everyone that has been accepted or wait-listed. Please reach out to me if you have any questions or concerns about the school, or even if you need some advice on how to bolster your application for next year.

As an additional note to that:

If you are on waitlist, don't lose hope. I was waitlisted since November, and was officially accepted a little less than a month before orientation. Keep in touch, let them know you're interested, especially if you really liked the school. And if things don't pan out, I was also getting ready to set up my application for round 2, if you need any advice let me know.

Just a fun story to share -- during my interview one of the directors told us that last year, there was a student who was on the wait-listed all the way up until orientation. During orientation week, the student messaged the dean saying "hey i know orientation has started but I still really really want this. I am moving to Lynchburg this week to search for jobs and take a gap year if i need to, to become a better candidate. please let me know if any spots open up and I would be willing and ready to join the class any time."

well, coincidentally there was a new M1 who decided during orientation week that medical school would not be what they thought it would be. the M1 dropped out, and LUCOM accepted the wait-listed student a few days later. He had not been next on the list, but they were impressed by his enthusiasm and eagerness. And i think those are key traits of candidates that med schools want to accept into their class. So I just want to encourage anyone who is waiting during this season, to not give up hope and be prepared to show LUCOM/other schools that you are still interested. Maybe you're volunteering somewhere? Send them a letter stating you've continued doing that and you are still interested in the school. Waiting is a really hard thing to do during an application cycle, but nothing cures worrying more quickly than action. You never know what could happen, and it wouldn't hurt to try.

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone done the urine drug test and submitted the background check yet? How long did it take for them to show up as completed & received on your portal?

Has anyone done the urine drug test and submitted the background check yet? How long did it take for them to show up as completed & received on your portal?
Last year it took a few weeks to show up. When I did the drug test, I sent the school my confirmation paper/ carbon copy, and said that it should be coming their way soon. That way, if it didn't go through for some reason, they would be able to trace it back and know that I had already done my part.

After submitting an exception for cause to the Dean I was offered an interview spot and will be there at the end of this week on the 30th. Good start waiting until the last minute right? Any interview tips on how to prepare and what to look for, as this is my first interview to any MD or DO school. Also for anyone else interviewing that day let me know! Would love to get to know some people before going in.

Match results in brief (these are preliminary and subject to change, so take it for what it’s worth...)

Primary care (about 2/3 of the class)

FM - 30
IM - 33
Peds - 7
Med/Peds - 3
OB/Gyn - 8
Gen Surg - 7 (+1 prelim surgery)

Specialties (about 1/3 of the class)

Anesthesia - 1
EM - 11
Neurosurgery - 1
Neurology - 1
PM&R - 3
Psych - 4
TRI - 8

Military Match:
TRI - 2
EM - 1
FM - 1
Gen Surg - 1

Special matches:
Optho - 1 (also had to match for a TRI intern year)

Overall, excellent match stats. Compare them to some of the other school and look at percentages. We had higher in some areas, and lower in some areas. The take home point is, no specialty is really out of reach because you’re a DO or because you went to LUCOM.

I will also add, I heard horror stories from some of my friends that went to very well established schools with excellent academics and reputations. These horror stories mainly centered around the total lack of support some of them and their class mates got during the scramble and SOAP (if they had the misfortune of having to participate).

LUCOM’s excellent overall success in the post match process reflects very well on the preparation and planning done by our GME department. They had a command center set up for both Post Match processes with faculty on standby for each specialty. These faculty were ready at the drop of a hat to make phone calls, write letters, and provide general academic support. I can not say enough good things about how our school handled the post Match process. It is stressful enough for the students who had to participate in this process, and our school really rose to the occasion in a way very few other schools (more established with better “reputations” in most cases) do. Emotional counseling was also a huge part of this process for students that needed that extra level of support. None of this is directly REQUIRED by COCA, but our faculty and administration made sure it was there for those that needed it.

LUCOM went way beyond the call of duty in helping us match, and rose to the occasion to help students who did not match. Again, this level of support is the exception, not the rule...and our match stats reflect that fact.

Reactions: 12 users
Match results in brief (these are preliminary and subject to change, so take it for what it’s worth...)

FM - 30
IM - 33
Peds - 7
Med/Peds - 3
OB/Gyn - 8

Anesthesia - 1
EM - 11
Neurosurgery - 1
Neurology - 1
PM&R - 3
Psych - 4
TRI - 8

Military Match:
TRI - 2
EM - 1
FM - 1
Gen Surg - 1

Special matches:

Overall, excellent match stats. Compare them to some of the other school and look at percentages. We had higher in some areas, and lower in some areas. The take home point is, no specialty is really out of reach because you’re a DO or because you went to LUCOM.

I will also add, I heard horror stories from some of my friends that went to very well established schools with excellent academics and reputations. These horror stories mainly centered around the total lack of support some of them and their class mates got during the scramble and SOAP (if they had the misfortune of having to participate).

LUCOM’s excellent overall success in the post match process reflects very well on the preparation and planning done by our GME department. They had a command center set up for both Post Match processes with faculty on standby for each specialty. These faculty were ready at the drop of a hat to make phone calls, write letters, and provide general academic support. I can not say enough good things about how our school handled the post Match process. It is stressful enough for the students who had to participate in this process, and our school really rose to the occasion in a way very few other schools (more established with better “reputations” in most cases) do. Emotional counseling was also a huge part of this process for students that needed that extra level of support. None of this is directly REQUIRED by COCA, but our faculty and administration made sure it was there for those that needed it.

LUCOM went way beyond the call of duty in helping us match, and rose to the occasion to help students who did not match. Again, this level of support is the exception, not the rule...and our match stats reflect that fact.

Thank you very much for posting this!

Reactions: 4 users
questions for med students already at LUCOM : are textbooks mandatory to purchase? i've heard that textbooks are just for reference in many other medical schools and i am wondering how heavily the exams rely on textbooks. if the exams are solely based on lectures, it would save me a lot of money.... and i think i'd use that money on BRS books instead. :p

questions for med students already at LUCOM : are textbooks mandatory to purchase? i've heard that textbooks are just for reference in many other medical schools and i am wondering how heavily the exams rely on textbooks. if the exams are solely based on lectures, it would save me a lot of money.... and i think i'd use that money on BRS books instead. :p
Not a med student, I'm starting this fall, but I was told they have all the textbooks are online for free!

Most are online. 99.9% of test stuff will come from PowerPoints and what is said in lecture.

Anyone actually get a decision back on the 3rd? I received an email basically saying they didn't have time to review me:(

FM - 30
IM - 33
Peds - 7
Med/Peds - 3
OB/Gyn - 8

Anesthesia - 1
EM - 11
Neurosurgery - 1
Neurology - 1
PM&R - 3
Psych - 4
TRI - 8

Military Match:
TRI - 2
EM - 1
FM - 1
Gen Surg - 1

Special matches:

I would like to say congrats and I am very proud of the flames! You worked hard and did a great job! The neurosurg and the ophthal matches, what place did they match at?

I would like to say congrats and I am very proud of the flames! You worked hard and did a great job! The neurosurg and the ophthal matches, what place did they match at?

NS was in south Florida somewhere. This is just hearsay though, no official list is out. No clue on Opto.