2017-2018 Long School of Medicine - University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UOTE="USERX, post: 19564212, member: 492732"]Just an FYI for those applying this year and especially for those next year; there are no January interviews this cycle and the interview this Tuesday was the last one.[/QUOTE]
I'm sad and no more chance. See you next cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else notice on the med school comparison list that Dr. Kellaway sent that Long SOM is denoted to be P/F for preclinical curriculum?? I remember the email saying they were thinking about it, but did they make it official?

Did anyone else notice on the med school comparison list that Dr. Kellaway sent that Long SOM is denoted to be P/F for preclinical curriculum?? I remember the email saying they were thinking about it, but did they make it official?

They mentioned P/F during my 10/13 interview and it sounded like it was the first time they were announcing it. However, it was really a pseudo pass/fail only for the preclinical semesters and there were still 4 grading categories essentially representing A/B/C/F.

There's a small possibility I'm confusing this with McGovern, but I don't think so.

Members don't see this ad :)
They mentioned P/F during my 10/13 interview and it sounded like it was the first time they were announcing it. However, it was really a pseudo pass/fail only for the preclinical semesters and there were still 4 grading categories essentially representing A/B/C/F.

There's a small possibility I'm confusing this with McGovern, but I don't think so.

This is accurate. Just interviewed last Friday and it's a H/HP/P/F system. The separation/categorization doesn't exactly parallel that of a letter-graded system, but it isn't true P/F either.

That said, I'm kinda down with it. Still better than flat out letter-graded.

Reactions: 3 users

Yah, I was a bit taken aback by it during my interview because they never sent out a final decision letter, but it seems like they are doing it after all.

Wondering how important going to the second look is? Will they think I’m not interested if I can’t make it, for any of the dates?

Wondering how important going to the second look is? Will they think I’m not interested if I can’t make it, for any of the dates?

I think it's more about you getting a better feel for the school than them determining your interest in the school. Plus, even if you can't make it, the email mentioned a Skype option. But if you're worried about seeming interested in UTHSA, send them a letter of interest. The email also said they're cool with LOIs

I didn't get a prematch from this school but I looked my interview and this is my first choice.. Wondering if i should schedule a second look visit? I know its really supposed to be for those who have prematches but Dr. Kellaway's email didn't really specify that

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't get a prematch from this school but I looked my interview and this is my first choice.. Wondering if i should schedule a second look visit? I know its really supposed to be for those who have prematches but Dr. Kellaway's email didn't really specify that

She wants you to rank them #1 on match day, so go ahead and go to second look...

Reactions: 1 users
Just seeking advice- interviewed on 12/15 and don’t have a prematch to uthscsa but really loved it here on interview day. Planning to rank number one over my other pre matches. Is a letter of interest before match day appropriate? I’ve heard you should wait until after match day/waitlist but they said they were cool with the letter so just wanted to make sure!

Just seeking advice- interviewed on 12/15 and don’t have a prematch to uthscsa but really loved it here on interview day. Planning to rank number one over my other pre matches. Is a letter of interest before match day appropriate? I’ve heard you should wait until after match day/waitlist but they said they were cool with the letter so just wanted to make sure!

I interviewed that same day - Congrats on your current offers :)

I think the best advice any of us can give is to refer to the e-mail Dr. Kellaway sent out. They'll definitely *accept* a LOI. Whether it'd be more effective before match day rather than post-waitlist, I'm not too sure.

Happy holidays SDN familia!

Hope everyone has a wonderful break from the stress of the application cycle!

I interviewed that same day - Congrats on your current offers :)

I think the best advice any of us can give is to refer to the e-mail Dr. Kellaway sent out. They'll definitely *accept* a LOI. Whether it'd be more effective before match day rather than post-waitlist, I'm not too sure.

Thanks for the response! It’s difficult to know if it’s more effective to send pre or post match. I’ll certaimly do some considering. Merry Christmas!!

Members don't see this ad :)
To all those reading out there during future application cycles - I'm sorry that we're a part of the cycle that set the expectation of only a single wave of pre-match acceptances. I hope you all have a better experience.

To all those reading out there during future application cycles - I'm sorry that we're a part of the cycle that set the expectation of only a single wave of pre-match acceptances. I hope you all have a better experience.
Every school is moving away from prematches in favor of the actual match. I am not surprised at all.

Thanks for the response! It’s difficult to know if it’s more effective to send pre or post match. I’ll certaimly do some considering. Merry Christmas!!

Did you find out if pre- or post match is better for Letter of Intent?

Any late interviewers still not seeing Long on their rank list? I'm not sure whether I should be concerned yet seeing as rank submission day is only 2 weeks away!

Any late interviewers still not seeing Long on their rank list? I'm not sure whether I should be concerned yet seeing as rank submission day is only 2 weeks away!

I interviewed on 12/19 and found Long SOM on the rank list asked yesterday.

Hmm not sure why that is- I interviewed the same day and mine showed up about a week ago. Maybe give it until Monday then ask?

Is anyone attending a “second look” day? And know what to expect?

I inquired about one months ago, but kinda got the run around (probably because I'm OOS) and still haven't heard anything back.

Well, they offered all those who interviewed (IS, at least) a list of second look dates over the next couple of weeks. Still haven't been confirmed for my requested date, though.

Well, they offered all those who interviewed (IS, at least) a list of second look dates over the next couple of weeks. Still haven't been confirmed for my requested date, though.
Same, and at this point there's no way I can afford the plane ticket so last minute. They were my best communicating school up until recently lol! Meh.

I interviewed on 12/19 and found Long SOM on the rank list asked yesterday.

Did you call them? Mine is still not showing up and I interviewed on the 19th. Was planning to call at the end of the week but might do it today.

Did you call them? Mine is still not showing up and I interviewed on the 19th. Was planning to call at the end of the week but might do it today.

So I called yesterday (12/15 interviewer) and they told me to shoot them an e-mail. I got a response today saying it was fixed, and sure enough, they're on my rank list now!

So I called yesterday (12/15 interviewer) and they told me to shoot them an e-mail. I got a response today saying it was fixed, and sure enough, they're on my rank list now!

Yah I called today and they told me it would be fixed by tomorrow. Probably just a technical error.

Had an interesting experience back at my September interview I thought I'd share. My interviewer wasn't too interested in my personal qualities or why I wanted to be a doctor. I guess it was the classic stress interview. In the first ten minutes of my interview, he asked 1) Why a manhole is round? 2) When the Civil War was? 3) How CRISPR works? 4) How CAR-T therapy works? 5) What Moore's law was, and many more that I was probably too stressed to remember. Good times.

Had an interesting experience back at my September interview I thought I'd share. My interviewer wasn't too interested in my personal qualities or why I wanted to be a doctor. I guess it was the classic stress interview. In the first ten minutes of my interview, he asked 1) Why a manhole is round? 2) When the Civil War was? 3) How CRISPR works? 4) How CAR-T therapy works? 5) What Moore's law was, and many more that I was probably too stressed to remember. Good times.
He would have got me with why a manhole is round... I could have BSed the others. That being said, I just googled it and my mind is blown. Also, not cool!! lol.

Hahahahahahaha

What.

Has anyone found out about their Step 1 averages for last year?

MS2 here finishing up my preclinical soon and thought I would repost some comments I made last year around this time. There were definitely some aspects of this school that weren't made very clear to me while I applied and would have affected my choices. Hopefully this info will be useful to someone:

Current MS1 here. Figured I would throw a couple things out that weren't made very clear to me before I came here.

1. Most schools emphasize how all the lectures are recorded and a lot of students will talk about how they mostly stream from home instead of going to class. I'm one of those people since I get a lot more done streaming than going to class. But what they didn't tell me about this school is how many of the classes have mandatory attendance. In every module you will have to attend some number of lectures so don't plan on staying home most of the time. Anecdotally, I know plenty of other schools have zero attendance requirements allowing students to choose how they use their time.

2. This school is extremely quiz happy. In that first semester, we would have 6+ quizzes in a single week between all the different classes we had going on. The quizzing has slowed down a bit in second semester but we still can plan on at least 3 every week. Seems a lot of students like this since it keeps them caught up. If you're in that boat, then this school will be a great fit. On the other hand, if you'd prefer to have a bit more autonomy, I would consider other schools. The administration here is very paternalistic and basically expect you get through school exactly how they have planned it all out for you.

3. The first semester here is pretty extreme and taking even a single day off in a week was a luxury I didn't get that often. MS4s here are about to graduate and still say that that first semester is the worst of all four years so the upside at least is once you're through it, its all downhill from there.

Generally though, great school and good student body though the location kind of sucks being out in the suburbs. Definitely think about how you learn and study and come to conclusion about whether you would fit in with the administration's idea of how you're supposed to survive in med school.

Having almost completed my pre-clinical time here I just want to say that the admin continues to act in a very paternalistic manner toward the student body which has been really annoying to nearly ever non-trad student I've spoken with here.

MS2 here finishing up my preclinical soon and thought I would repost some comments I made last year around this time. There were definitely some aspects of this school that weren't made very clear to me while I applied and would have affected my choices. Hopefully this info will be useful to someone:

Having almost completed my pre-clinical time here I just want to say that the admin continues to act in a very paternalistic manner toward the student body which has been really annoying to nearly ever non-trad student I've spoken with here.

Thanks for the input. Extremely helpful. What do you mean by paternalistic? Like they are hovering over everyone to make sure they do well? Or more like they expect you to do everything their way, with no exceptions? It's funny because the things you don't like (mandatory attendance and lots of quizzes) really appeal to me because I know that's how I learn best. And I'm extremely, utterly non-traditional. I guess that's why this information is really helpful (and timely!!).

Thanks for the input. Extremely helpful. What do you mean by paternalistic? Like they are hovering over everyone to make sure they do well? Or more like they expect you to do everything their way, with no exceptions? It's funny because the things you don't like (mandatory attendance and lots of quizzes) really appeal to me because I know that's how I learn best. And I'm extremely, utterly non-traditional. I guess that's why this information is really helpful (and timely!!).

I was going to type up a whole list of examples but then I realized that each one probably seems utterly insignificant by itself (though the sum really irritates me). Point is that the admin provides very little freedom for the students to make individual decisions in how they approach all aspects of medical school. If you're used to a college or job that gave you the ability to accomplish a goal how ever you'd like, you'll be in for quite a shock. Some people really like the structure and others find it suffocating. Personally, I would have chosen one of my other options if I knew then what I know now.

Anyhow, I'm just throwing that info out there in case it would help someone. I, and someone else in my class, made a few other comments last year that may also be informative: 2016-2017 University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio Application Thread

I was going to type up a whole list of examples but then I realized that each one probably seems utterly insignificant by itself (though the sum really irritates me). Point is that the admin provides very little freedom for the students to make individual decisions in how they approach all aspects of medical school. If you're used to a college or job that gave you the ability to accomplish a goal how ever you'd like, you'll be in for quite a shock. Some people really like the structure and others find it suffocating. Personally, I would have chosen one of my other options if I knew then what I know now.

Anyhow, I'm just throwing that info out there in case it would help someone. I, and someone else in my class, made a few other comments last year that may also be informative: 2016-2017 University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio Application Thread
I'm sorry you find it to not be a good match with your learning style. I can definitely see how not having freedom of maneuver could come into play for ppl who value their independence (or who are just old and used to doing things their way like myself). I can also see how it might be a good thing for those who like discipline. Thanks for the information.

In response to my classmate, I am an MS2 and although I agree with a lot of what they had to say but I had other points y'all may also want to consider:

In response to the mandatory classes, although there are schools out there that do not have any in person requirements I believe that there are still quite a few that do and it helps creates a feeling of community here at UTHSA. The curriculum is hard but being around people that are going through it with you helps with the burnout and other issues like that. As a member of the "stream team", although there are days where I only stream from home, I notice that I can become lonely and burned out if I do not see my fellow classmates on a semi regular basis. Thus, this gives our school a sense of camaraderie that may not be possible in schools that have no in person requirements for class. Also, only like 1/3 of lectures (MAX) are required.

Also, I agree that the first semester was very very extreme but the upside with the accelerated curriculum is that we get autonomy where it matters which includes several months off to study for step, start rotations, do research or take an extended break from school after we finish our MS2 year in mid-feb.

Also, I love being in the suburbs. I love being less than five minutes from all of my friends (because we mostly all live nearby since we are in the suburbs). I love that everything downtown is only 15 minutes away- close enough to go to it on a whim but also far away dealing with the city traffic or parking problems. If walking down a street in downtown Manhattan during rush hour gives you anxiety ( similar to TMC in Houston) the medical center in San Antonio is refreshingly suburban.

Also something that was not mentioned but I think was a big factor that I considered when applying, this school (and our former students) will support you and fund you in all your global health, research conferences, national organization conferences. They are very generous when it comes to funding students in endeavors where you would be representing the school; I have always been fully funded which includes travel, hotel, transportation and food regardless if it was abroad or domestic. I have been to numerous conferences where fellow students were fellow students from other schools were either self-funded or minimally funded. This allows you to experience things outside of school that can be very formative and shape the type of physician you want to eventually be.

In response to my classmate, I am an MS2 and although I agree with a lot of what they had to say but I had other points y'all may also want to consider:

In response to the mandatory classes, although there are schools out there that do not have any in person requirements I believe that there are still quite a few that do and it helps creates a feeling of community here at UTHSA. The curriculum is hard but being around people that are going through it with you helps with the burnout and other issues like that. As a member of the "stream team", although there are days where I only stream from home, I notice that I can become lonely and burned out if I do not see my fellow classmates on a semi regular basis. Thus, this gives our school a sense of camaraderie that may not be possible in schools that have no in person requirements for class. Also, only like 1/3 of lectures (MAX) are required.

Also, I agree that the first semester was very very extreme but the upside with the accelerated curriculum is that we get autonomy where it matters which includes several months off to study for step, start rotations, do research or take an extended break from school after we finish our MS2 year in mid-feb.

Also, I love being in the suburbs. I love being less than five minutes from all of my friends (because we mostly all live nearby since we are in the suburbs). I love that everything downtown is only 15 minutes away- close enough to go to it on a whim but also far away dealing with the city traffic or parking problems. If walking down a street in downtown Manhattan during rush hour gives you anxiety ( similar to TMC in Houston) the medical center in San Antonio is refreshingly suburban.

Also something that was not mentioned but I think was a big factor that I considered when applying, this school (and our former students) will support you and fund you in all your global health, research conferences, national organization conferences. They are very generous when it comes to funding students in endeavors where you would be representing the school; I have always been fully funded which includes travel, hotel, transportation and food regardless if it was abroad or domestic. I have been to numerous conferences where fellow students were fellow students from other schools were either self-funded or minimally funded. This allows you to experience things outside of school that can be very formative and shape the type of physician you want to eventually be.
Thanks for your perspective. I'm still very much deciding but leaning in this direction so it's nice to see the big picture. Especially since I still haven't gotten word back about a second look. :( y'all are my second look lol.

Does anyone have advice on ranking Long over A&M? I am so torn..
MS1 at Long here. I was in the same boat last year, and ended up ranking Long over A&M.

I didn't want to separate from all of my classmates to go all over the state. I didn't want to live in College Station. The students there seemed significantly more stressed out on my interview day, and the administration seemed incredibly disorganized (cue them cutting their entire waitlist months later). I liked the huge amount of time off after second year at Long. Long has a more established reputation. San Antonio is a fun city.

Now that I'm here, I'm really glad I made the choice I did

MS1 at Long here. I was in the same boat last year, and ended up ranking Long over A&M.

I didn't want to separate from all of my classmates to go all over the state. I didn't want to live in College Station. The students there seemed significantly more stressed out on my interview day, and the administration seemed incredibly disorganized (cue them cutting their entire waitlist months later). I liked the huge amount of time off after second year at Long. Long has a more established reputation. San Antonio is a fun city.

Now that I'm here, I'm really glad I made the choice I did

ALL of those reasons is why I ranked Long over A&M too! Now, hoping I get matched here!

These are really great points and just underscore how many variables there are in this decision. While this isn't really relevant to most students applying to this school, applicants should keep in mind that very few if any funding opportunities are available to out-of-state students.

I was going to type up a whole list of examples but then I realized that each one probably seems utterly insignificant by itself (though the sum really irritates me)...

I would be interested in hearing some of your examples if you would be willing to share. I will, very excitedly, be attending this school as an older non-traditional student and would like a better understanding of some of the obstacles or annoyances I'm likely to encounter. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not share in the thread.

I would be interested in hearing some of your examples if you would be willing to share. I will, very excitedly, be attending this school as an older non-traditional student and would like a better understanding of some of the obstacles or annoyances I'm likely to encounter. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not share in the thread.
Be my old ppl friend. :shy:

The anticipation is killing me. Good luck to everyone tomorrow, I hope we all get to check in with good news!

Reactions: 2 users
Nice to see the match results make it official this morning :D I am so excited to be attending this school and to get to know my fellow classmates!!

Matched here!! Looking forward to meeting all of you. It's gonna be a great 4 years!! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to all who matched! For those who did not receive an acceptance but perhaps matched to a lower ranked choice - did you receive a waitlist email?