2017-2018 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another fellow M1, I third this. Immunology and parasites exam tomorrow and my current study materials include an amazing parasite chart that someone put together and shared on our facebook page, and also the online tutoring that does an amazing job of summarizing things and giving tips on what's important to know. Awesome school, excited for everyone coming in :thumbup:
Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Historically does MCW have a good amount of waitlist movement every year?

Withdrew my app recently post-II. I hope it goes to one of you great people :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just turned an II from here down. Hope whoever takes my spot gets in.

Reactions: 3 users
Could someone please share approx how many applicants there are per interview day?

Withdrawing my II at Milwaukee for this Friday--I hope it goes to one of you!!

Reactions: 4 users
I haven't heard anything from this school yet (no small pool email, nor any rejection). Is it safe to assume I have been rejected at this point? Does MCW usually wait until the end to reject people?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how I could connect with accepted/current students for the Green Bay campus specifically?

@Healer@1994 @Doctor Dream

Hey all, just a couple questions from a potential matriculant (Milwaukee Campus):

What criteria are used in electing and choosing students for AOA?
How well does the curriculum align with step 1 prep? Any NBMEs used? How often do professors test on minute details/ their own research?
Approx what proportion of each class gets Honors in the pre-clinical and clinical years? Are there cut offs?
What is MCW known for? As in, what are MCW's strongest departments?
Are the clinical years hands on? How much autonomy (or lack of) do students have?
Also, is MCW flexible in the fourth year for interviews and away rotations?

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Hey all, just a couple questions from a potential matriculant (Milwaukee Campus):

How well does the curriculum align with step 1 prep? Any NBMEs used? How often do professors test on minute details/ their own research?
Approx what proportion of each class gets Honors in the pre-clinical and clinical years? Are there cut offs?
Are the clinical years hands on? How much autonomy (or lack of) do students have?

Thank you!!
AOA - I believe they choose students from the top 25% of the class? AOA has specific rules on this so I’m not sure.

It aligns incredibly well with Step. Professors tailor lectures to what’s important clinically and for Step. I haven’t done any NBMEs but I’m an M1 so maybe ask an M2?

I’ve literally never been asked a question regarding someone’s research hahaha. That would be ridiculous.

Sometimes you get random minute details but that’s the nature of some courses like biochemistry or immunology lol. Usually it’s enough to get the big picture.

I’m not sure what percent of people get Honors but they post the exam score distributions online and plenty of people get high scores. Honors is doable if you put the time in for sure.

There are not cutoffs. You get the grade that you earn!

MCW and Froedtert and nationally and regionally ranked well and highly regarded but I’m not sure of specific strengths!

I can’t comment on the clinical years since I’m an M1 but even M1 has been very hands on and clinical. Starting in the spring you get paired with a physician mentor to shadow once per week and practice clinical skills! :)

Lots of autonomy and free time!

Again, hard for me to comment on away rotations as an M1 but I’ve heard M4 at MCW is super chill haha.

That’s about all I got for ya! Haha lmk if you have any more questions. I really do love this place!

Great news! I contacted the school and they approved my courses I took to satisfy their prereqs!

Reactions: 3 users
Could someone please share approx how many applicants there are per interview day?
Based on being a student tour guide it varies week to week. Sometimes lots sometimes few.

Thank you!!
You didn't tag me but I'll answer anyway.

Criteria for AOA I think are grades and student opinion. From what I understand they ask the student who they believe should be accepted into AOA and really emphasize how it shouldn't be a popularity thing. Granted the school itself has never mentioned this and all my info comes from searching the webpage. Try googling MCW AOA.

I think that the professors try to align their teaching and questions with Step 1 as much as possible. Granted the way they do that may be different per class, but I think the questions do prepare us for them. Once again haven't gotten to step 1 yet so grain of salt. Don't know what NBME stands for so can't answer that. I don't think a professor has ever tested us on their own personal research. Maybe principals that they are researching because we have to know those principles but not tiny things you would only hear from that person. (Example a lung researcher will teach lung principles etc...)

I don't know the proportions, but it does depend on the class and as far as I know not the majority. There are no cutoffs. If everyone did well enough to get honors then everyone gets honors. I also can't speak for clinical years as only an M1.

MCW has a really strong Anatomy department. There is an excellent anatomy lab here with amazing teachers. The course director is actually one of the contributing authors to the Netter Anatomy book which is the gold standard for Anatomy textbooks. Neuro is also really good the course director for this also teaches in Anatomy. In my opinion those are the best. According to the M2's when you are done with pharm here you will know your drugs because those are the only on paper tests (so you have to be able to pull drugs out of your brain rather than pick them on paper.)

As for clinical years, don't know. M1

From what I have heard talking to the rare 4th year they are fairly flexible and often have lots of down time that they can use for interviews and what not.

Hope that helps.

Thank you to one of you beautiful souls who cancelled an II/interview. Just got an II for MCW-Milwaukee for this Friday. Thankfully I live in Chicago so I will be able to make it on such short notice. Thank you thank you to everyone including MCW! :)

Reactions: 10 users
Thank you to one of you beautiful souls who cancelled an II/interview. Just got an II for MCW-Milwaukee for this Friday. Thankfully I live in Chicago so I will be able to make it on such short notice. Thank you thank you to everyone including MCW! :)

Congratulations! And as someone who also made the drive from the Chicago area, it's SO nice that it's so manageable! Best of luck!!

Thank you!!
@Quaper and @Healer@1994 I think both did great jobs answering your questions and I really don't have much to add. The curriculum definitely lines up well with step 1 prep, most professors tell us they are only testing on content relevant to step, and some are even nice enough to bold/underline the content they know is important for it. They also emphasize writing questions that are similar in style to those on STEP, which I think will serve us well. I'm not sure what AOA or NBME is, sorry!

Not sure about clinical or pre-clinical grades for students... pre-clinical average exam scores tend to hover around like low to mid 80's, which is around a high pass. Anyone can earn honors though (92% and up), they don't curve exams or anything. Some professors I've noticed like to throw in more questions that are relevant to their field of research, but none have asked any specific questions about their own haha. Once in a while there's a really detailed question on a topic that was talked about for like 10 seconds, but that doesn't happen much.

I'll second that MCW has a phenomenal anatomy department, the main professor (Dr. Hoagland) is extremely knowledgeable and a fantastic teacher and like quaper said, helps author the gold standard book on anatomy. We've had some other awesome professors too though. Our Endocrine prof has written textbooks on the topic and was an amazing teacher, and our GI prof was a GI doc who was awesome at teaching and brought in real patients with the diseases we learned about to talk with us.

Good luck!!!

waitlisted at central today :( i remember reading in an earlier post here that this campus does see some waitlist movement? dont remember this being mentioned on my interview day tho
good luck to the rest of everyone ! :)

waitlisted at central today :( i remember reading in an earlier post here that this campus does see some waitlist movement? dont remember this being mentioned on my interview day tho

Congrats on the waitlist hopefully there is a lot of movement. If you don't mind me asking, when did you get your email?

Both satellite campuses only accept very few outright after interviews since there are only 25 spots. They usually tell every interview group to expect to be waitlisted as a best case scenario. However I don’t know how many people they waitlist or how much it moves.

Last exam of this block is tomorrow and already we've had 4 students share Anki decks, notes, and study guides on our facebook page. bless :clap:

I just received the Second Look Email Invitation and was concerned with something in one of the email attachments:

"Do I need to be CPR certified?
o Yes! You must be certified in adult and pediatric CPR and AED prior to arriving at MCW for New
Student Orientation on Monday, August 6, 2018. First Aid certification is recommended, but not
required."

Anyone know anything about this? I'm not CPR certified, so does that mean I have to sign up for some class to received certification soon, or else my acceptance will be denied?

Can anyone current MCW students provide some input on how this went for you last year?

I just received the Second Look Email Invitation and was concerned with something in one of the email attachments:

o Yes! You must be certified in adult and pediatric CPR and AED prior to arriving at MCW for New
Student Orientation on Monday, August 6, 2018. First Aid certification is recommended, but not
required."

Anyone know anything about this? I'm not CPR certified, so does that mean I have to sign up for some class to received certification soon, or else my acceptance will be denied?

Can anyone current MCW students provide some input on how this went for you last year?
They mentioned that during the interview day. Not sure if its required

It says to do it prior to 8/6/2018. That's like a ways away...those classes don't even take that long.

Sorry I don't know anything regarding these classes - do you know if they're costly and how long they take?

Kinda random but does anyone know how often there are exams in the pre-clinical years?

On another note, its so frustrating when the two schools you are deciding between have second look dates on the same day lol

required."

I can answer this question! Most medical schools require CPR certification prior to matriculation and MCW is no different.

There are numerous American Heart Association and Red Cross authorized trainers out there. You can sign up for a class before school starts. It's not super expensive and it only takes around 3-4 hours.

Your acceptance won't be denied haha, no worries. Just make sure you get it done in good time!

Kinda random but does anyone know how often there are exams in the pre-clinical years?

On another note, its so frustrating when the two schools you are deciding between have second look dates on the same day lol
Exams are typically every 5 weeks, giving you plenty of free time to hone in on your learning style and still have time for fun!