2017-2018 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One thing I will say about MCW is that the community is incredible. After the first biochemistry quiz, the M1s (myself included) went on a booze cruise on Lake Michigan. And after our first block of exams, the M2s threw a big party for us!

(both events were "all you can drink," welcome to Wisconsin :laugh:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
One thing I will say about MCW is that the community is incredible. After the first biochemistry quiz, the M1s (myself included) went on a booze cruise on Lake Michigan. And after our first block of exams, the M2s threw a big party for us!

As a fellow M1 I can definitely vouch for the awesome community. The “liver function test” is the most important exam of the first block :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
I signed up for the Children Hospital Tour.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody have any experience with Central. Can I assume its bad news if people were waitlisted yesterday and I heard nothing today?

Can’t handle booze! Anyone stay non alcohol?!!!

I'm trying to think about housing and transportations before I make a decision regarding where I will be attending this fall. I stayed with a student host who lives nearby school and I would like to live nearby school as well (walking distance) to avoid the cost of having a car in med school. How easy is it to get an apt with roommates around the school? Do I really need a car? Thanks

I'm trying to think about housing and transportations before I make a decision regarding where I will be attending this fall. I stayed with a student host who lives nearby school and I would like to live nearby school as well (walking distance) to avoid the cost of having a car in med school. How easy is it to get an apt with roommates around the school? Do I really need a car? Thanks

I am wondering the same. I really don’t want a car. Are the places near the school safe?

I am wondering the same. I really don’t want a car. Are the places near the school safe?
I’m from Milwaukee. I live in a different suburb, but have family that live in the area. I was also a regular patient at Children’s Hospital and would get lunch in Tosa Village with my Nana. The area near MCW should be pretty safe if you live within a decent walking distance. You should keep your wits about you no matter where you live in the world obviously, but the bad areas of Milwaukee (the city itself) are the North side for the most part, which is nowhere near MCW.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m from Milwaukee. I live in a different suburb, but have family that live in the area. I was also a regular patient at Children’s Hospital and would get lunch in Tosa Village with my Nana. The area near MCW should be pretty safe if you live within a decent walking distance. You should keep your wits about you no matter where you live in the world obviously, but the bad areas of Milwaukee (the city itself) are the North side for the most part, which is nowhere near MCW.

I live very close to the school. Many people live very close and walk or bike. The area is absolutely safe. The area around the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center is technically Milwaukee but the surrounding area is Wauwatosa. The bad part of Milwaukee is the north area, but that is far from Wauwatosa.

Reactions: 2 users
Very safe neighborhood around the school, but anything can happen so always be smart when walking around late at night. Security guards are obligated to walk you to your car if you ask too! They’re great :)

I live very close to the school. Many people live very close and walk or bike. The area is absolutely safe. The area around the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center is technically Milwaukee but the surrounding area is Wauwatosa. The bad part of Milwaukee is the north area, but that is far from Wauwatosa.
Very safe neighborhood around the school, but anything can happen so always be smart when walking around late at night. Security guards are obligated to walk you to your car if you ask too! They’re great :)
Would you please answer my question about housing and transportation in my previous post? Thanks :)

Typically when do you people start finding roommates and all that? Pretty set on committing to MCW and want to start looking for potential a roommate. Anyone on here in the same boat (just to get an idea if it's to early to be looking for roommates)?

Received my acceptance letter in the mail. Included was a nice hand-written note from one of my interviewers which I have to say was pretty awesome to read

Reactions: 2 users
RockMcat520 -

There is plenty of housing in the surrounding area, especially if you start looking early. The M4s have Match day this week so they will find out if they will be staying in the area or not and therefore a lot of housing will open up. In regards to finding a roommate I would post on the group Facebook page or ask around on second look day. MCW also provides resources for finding a roommate if you look around the website. As for having a car or not that is up to you. You definitely can walk to the school if you get an apartment close enough, however keep in mind that Wisconsin can get pretty cold at times! We also have a required clinical apprenticeship during the second half of M1 and first half of M2. Many people get placed at Froedtert or Children’s hospital on the MCW campus, but some people are required to go to outside locations. Public transportation is definitely an option in Milwaukee and if you get placed at an outside location you can opt for one that is on a bus route. As for grocery stores there is a Pick N Save down the road from campus that should have everything you would need in that regard. Personally I have a car just because it makes things a lot easier but it is definitely doable without if you don’t mind the inconvenience.

Are they really done interviewing? I havent heard anything from them and figured I would have gotten the R by now if they were done

Are they really done interviewing? I havent heard anything from them and figured I would have gotten the R by now if they were done
Yes. I was at Friday’s interview session and they mentioned it a few times that that day was the last interview day.

I just got a rejection from UIC this month when they were done interviewing in January. And a rejection from Loyola after their interview season was already over. Seems like it’s just the trend for this cycle to reject people days to weeks after the final interview day.

Yes. I was at Friday’s interview session and they mentioned it a few times that that day was the last interview day.

I just got a rejection from UIC this month when they were done interviewing in January. And a rejection from Loyola after their interview season was already over. Seems like it’s just the trend for this cycle to reject people days to weeks after the final interview day.
Womp womp. Guess Ill have to not bomb CASPer next time.

Class Connector Search Home- American Heart Association

you can locate a training site here!

It shouldn't cost more than $50-55 if I remember correctly :)

Thanks for this - Very helpful. Could you possibly tell me exactly which courses we should be taking (if you don't know I realize I can call the admissions committee) email says we must be "adult and pediatric AED and CPR certified". Looks like we might have to take two separate classes (one pediatric and one adult)? Also, is it the BLS course (for providers - as we will all be these eventually) or the other one for health fitness professionals, etc. Thanks for any extra info you can provide!

Thanks for this - Very helpful. Could you possibly tell me exactly which courses we should be taking (if you don't know I realize I can call the admissions committee) email says we must be "adult and pediatric AED and CPR certified". Looks like we might have to take two separate classes (one pediatric and one adult)? Also, is it the BLS course (for providers - as we will all be these eventually) or the other one for health fitness professionals, etc. Thanks for any extra info you can provide!
You want the BLS for providers.. in regards to pediatric it’s also covered in the BLS for HCP class but since they specified maybe they do want it separate? Someone else will have to answer that part, sorry.

MCW doesn’t have interview days for waitlist positions exclusively. This interview cycle has ended. Only people on the waitlist have potential for acceptances now.

Thanks!

Add on to my pervious post: Is it too early to fill out the roommate questionnaire found on the MCW website? Has anyone done that yet?

Anybody get a message back from a thank you note to MCW?
Not in regards to my snail-mail TY to the Green Bay committee.. if you emailed it to your interviewer(s), you might but otherwise probably not.

Can current medical students post the Match list from today? Thanks!

Hi all! I have not gotten my financial aid application in yet and am leaving the country for 1 week tomorrow. Will I still be ok if I submit it upon my return in 1 week? I was accepted in December and stupidly did not see the "within 1 month of acceptance" deadline. I'm only leaving for 1 week but have this weird fear that I am forgetting something super important (deadline to secure spot is April 30...right...) :laugh:

does this have to do with why MCW didnt submit their info to USNWR this year and appears unranked on their rank list?
I doubt it. But I am not sure though. Their match list is impressive regardless. Match list depends on students interest

Rejected today and apparently I was smallpooled which I didn't know until just now! :)

Anyone have the 2018 match list? Would love to see!

Hi all! I have not gotten my financial aid application in yet and am leaving the country for 1 week tomorrow. Will I still be ok if I submit it upon my return in 1 week? I was accepted in December and stupidly did not see the "within 1 month of acceptance" deadline. I'm only leaving for 1 week but have this weird fear that I am forgetting something super important (deadline to secure spot is April 30...right...) :laugh:

Welllll I definitely never saw that "within 1 month of acceptance" bit and applied waaay later. So, results TBD I suppose.

Is waitlist more or less a R? In previous years has there been substantial waitlist movement or not so much at MCW?

Is waitlist more or less a R? In previous years has there been substantial waitlist movement or not so much at MCW?
Based on MSAR (or maybe also stuff I saw on here) I have the following note about the waitlist..
mcw - 50 people get in from WL, 150-200 kept on MKE WL and 25-50 on regional campus waitlist

MCW historically has had a good amount of waitlist movement. Can’t say specifically how much but waitlist isnt necessarily a R at MCW.

For those of you going to Second Look, did you get an e-mail confirmation from subscribing? I believe I signed up but I didn't get an e-mail confirming things.