2017-2018 Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (OSU-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i.e how bad do you want rural family med

Its because the second year class they went for stats and got the most gunner class of all time and will probs have the lowest % of primary care matches ever at OSU. First year class has a way different personality

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
JUST GOT MY CALL TODAY AT 9:15 AM!!!! ACCEPTED :D :D!!!!
Edit: Interviewed on Friday, the 12th, with 505 MCAT/3.97 GPA

Congrats! Hopefully I'll see you on accepted student day on March 3rd

Reactions: 1 user
Its because the second year class they went for stats and got the most gunner class of all time and will probs have the lowest % of primary care matches ever at OSU. First year class has a way different personality

good to know, should be an interesting match list then!

Members don't see this ad :)
i.e how bad do you want rural family med
They know interviewers don't really have any intention of going into primary care when they bring it up, lol. The instructors who do interviews joke about it continuously how 90% of students in our class said they were interested in primary care and now all of the sudden they are not! lol

I'm not sure where that idea came from, but if you are a second-year then you should have a pretty good idea as to why things changed for the next year.

Any Texas kids accepted yet? afaf

Congrats! Hopefully I'll see you on accepted student day on March 3rd
So is it in March? I got a bit confused because the newsletter and the little message that popped up when I submitted said sometime in February, but didn't know for sure

So is it in March? I got a bit confused because the newsletter and the little message that popped up when I submitted said sometime in February, but didn't know for sure
Our first accepted students day was not in February, in fact I think it may have been later than March. Who knows if they are only doing 2 or more this year.

I heard it from professors, students, docs , and forums about how the atmosphere at OSUCOM is great, and after my interview last week I can really sense that those people were genuine. I am so excited to hear back from them. I will be having my phone on me at all times for the next couple weeks hahaha.

I heard it from professors, students, docs , and forums about how the atmosphere at OSUCOM is great, and after my interview last week I can really sense that those people were genuine. I am so excited to hear back from them. I will be having my phone on me at all times for the next couple weeks hahaha.
I promise, you will absolutely love it here. This is in no way meant to sound like I am gloating, but I interviewed at 6 different schools and was accepted to all of them..I dropped over $5,000 in deposits and the minute OSU called me I said YUP! As a bonus, their deposit is only $100 and they give it back in cash when your at the end of your first semester. The new Tandy building is top of the line and we have highly trained technicians who run clinical scenarios for students and residents/physicians.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys. I’m OOS but I’m from NM so it’s in the same geographic region. My stats are a 3.87 overall gpa (majoring in biochemistry) and I have a 503 MCAT. I’ve been reading that OSU really prefers Oklahoma residents. I don’t have any strong ties to OK until recently, that being my significant other has moved there for his job. Is this something I should mention in my application? And what do you think my chances are? Thanks!

JUST ACCEPTED !!!!!!!!! OOS 505 MCAT 3.3 GPA :')

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys. I’m OOS but I’m from NM so it’s in the same geographic region. My stats are a 3.87 overall gpa (majoring in biochemistry) and I have a 503 MCAT. I’ve been reading that OSU really prefers Oklahoma residents. I don’t have any strong ties to OK until recently, that being my significant other has moved there for his job. Is this something I should mention in my application? And what do you think my chances are? Thanks!

I would absolutely mention it, I think they give you an extra essay for anything "extra" and I would explain this and say OSU is one of your top schools ect ect. And you would actually be in state for tuition if you were married to your SO! So theres that. I think your chances are pretty good actually.

Yes definitely apply and most definitely mention that.

If you are married to your SO - He/She would still need to have in-state status and be able to prove it in order for the actual in-state tuition to become effective. This was mentioned in one of our meetings and I am in no way saying you shouldn't mention it (because you might as well), but they usually look into "Strong" ties to Oklahoma - Such as you were born here, lived here and moved, went to school or graduated from OSU or an Oklahoma school, etc. However, if your SO moved there for a job, I would suspect they would accept this as a strong tie, being that they look for strong ties in hopes that their medical graduates stay in Oklahoma for the rest of their careers.

Here is the actual text from the OSU residential guidelines for In-State/Out-of-State questions.

Each spouse in a family shall establish his or her own status on a separate basis. Exceptions include the following: when an out-of-state status individual marries a person with in-state status, the out-of-state individual may be considered in-state after documentation of the marriage and proof of domicile are satisfied without the 12 month domiciliary are satisfied without the 12 month domiciliary waiting period, and as provided in sections 3.17.7 or 3.17.8" https://registrar.okstate.edu/sites/default/files/Documents/ResidencyForms/OSRHEOutofstatePolicy.pdf

but they usually look into "Strong" ties to Oklahoma - Such as you were born here, lived here and moved, went to school or graduated from OSU or an Oklahoma school, etc. However, if your SO moved there for a job, I would suspect they would accept this as a strong tie, being that they look for strong ties in hopes that their medical graduates stay in Oklahoma for the rest of their careers.

Eh I disagree that it needs to be a strong tie like that. I’m pretty confident I only got an interview because I have a in-law that lives in the state even though I was a good applicant. It’s not a strong tie at all but it’s a tie and it came up in my interview. If you’re a strong OOS student and have anything on your app that shows you have any sort of a reason to stay in OK or have OSU as your #1 choice then they will probably give you a good look. At the very least it’s worth mentioning.

Getting “in-state” status though for the spouse isn’t difficult to do if they are here and working first. All you have to do is prove “intent to stay in OK” and work and live in OK for a 12 month period, but I think the spouse would have to be here for the 12 months to establish the residency before the marriage for it to be considered “marrying someone with in-state status.”

Eh I disagree that it needs to be a strong tie like that. I’m pretty confident I only got an interview because I have a in-law that lives in the state even though I was a good applicant. It’s not a strong tie at all but it’s a tie and it came up in my interview. If you’re a strong OOS student and have anything on your app that shows you have any sort of a reason to stay in OK or have OSU as your #1 choice then they will probably give you a good look. At the very least it’s worth mentioning.

Getting “in-state” status though for the spouse isn’t difficult to do if they are here and working first. All you have to do is prove “intent to stay in OK” and work and live in OK for a 12 month period, but I think the spouse would have to be here for the 12 months to establish the residency before the marriage for it to be considered “marrying someone with in-state status.”

My fault if I worded it incorrectly, but what I was trying to convey in my last message is exactly what you said here - they call it a "strong tie" because it shows that you have some significant reason to stay in Oklahoma, whether it be you graduated from a school in Oklahoma, lived here in the past, have relatives here, etc. They are looking to see if you have a means to want to stay in Oklahoma once you are out of residency. This is the whole purpose of OSU's mandate for ~85-90% in-state acceptances. The strong tie can't be something like "my sister lived here for a while" or "I am dating a guy/girl in Oklahoma," those will not work I can almost guarantee you based solely on what the admissions department said about a dear friend of mine's application.

As for gaining in-state resident status - It doesn't matter what you do, if you WORK in Oklahoma for 12 months or longer you are considered an in-state resident with no issues whatsoever. If you are married to someone who is already a resident of Oklahoma, then you can apply to have your residency status switched to in-state. However, if you choose to come to school here and you start out as an out-of-state student, then you cannot switch to an in-state status for the cheaper tuition once you have started school (unless they changed it THIS year).

I am curious, why do you feel confident that is the only reason you got an interview (your in-law being in Oklahoma)? Did you get a chance to talk to the admissions committee afterward? I am just curious for future discussions.

Guys! there is a page on fb! Ask David George or Carlie Goekeler (admins) to add you if you've been accepted

Offered an interview.. mcat below 500, 4.0 gpa

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I got an invite from David George on Fb but I guess the link expired? I was only invited at 9 pm last night

Still no interview invite. Being that it’s February, and I was submitted in October, I’ve given up.

I got an invite from David George on Fb but I guess the link expired? I was only invited at 9 pm last night

It’s because it was to an email address different than the one listed on your Facebook. Go in and add the email address, which received the invite, to your Facebook account. You should then be able to go to your email and accept the invitation. The reason it seems to be expired, is because the group isn’t public. I had to do this earlier too. I hope this helps.

It’s because it was to an email address different than the one listed on your Facebook. Go in and add the email address, which received the invite, to your Facebook account. You should then be able to go to your email and accept the invitation. The reason it seems to be expired, is because the group isn’t public. I had to do this earlier too. I hope this helps.

This worked perfectly! thanks so much

Interviewed here last week. Waitlisted yesterday. AACOMAS gpa 2.96, 3.37. With grade replacement 3.3/3.6ish. 497mcat. Completed 8/22. 1000's of hrs. clinical exposure, lots of EC's, 4.0 grad school GPA.

Amazing envieonment, this is definitely my dream school. All of the medical students my interview group interacted with were great. Interview was low stress.

Interviewed here last week. Waitlisted yesterday. AACOMAS gpa 2.96, 3.37. With grade replacement 3.3/3.6ish. 497mcat. Completed 8/22. 1000's of hrs. clinical exposure, lots of EC's, 4.0 grad school GPA.

Amazing envieonment, this is definitely my dream school. All of the medical students my interview group interacted with were great. Interview was low stress.
Were you IS or OOS?

I'm IS, was submitted early September with same MCAT. Are they still offering interviews?

I'm IS, was submitted early September with same MCAT. Are they still offering interviews?
They should be - they interview till like April and in my case, they called me in early December and offered me a mid-January interview

How do recently accepted individuals get added to the Facebook page?

Has anybody been accepted oos recently and if so do you mind sharing stats?

I plan on going to accepted student day in March, and I was wondering if this is somehow rude if I'm still not 100% sure I want to go to OSU. I am having a very difficult time making my mind up, and I assumed that accepted student day was sort of like a second look day.

I plan on going to accepted student day in March, and I was wondering if this is somehow rude if I'm still not 100% sure I want to go to OSU. I am having a very difficult time making my mind up, and I assumed that accepted student day was sort of like a second look day.

I’d say go for it. It’s a huge decision, so use every opportunity to help you decide.

I don't think anyone could blame you for wanting to get a second look. This will be where you spend the next 4 years of your career. The relationships and experiences you make here might very well influence the rest of your life too. We will be getting fitted for our white coats, but I can't imagine anything is final since there will be a second accepted student day in the summer time. If you decide to go with another school, I'm sure there's someone very willing to take your spot. I think one of the best parts of this school is the atmosphere and as such, accepted student day would be the best second look experience you could ask for.

Not rude at all, remember this process is about you finding the best fit for you. Feel free to PM if you have an questions or any clarification of anything. I’m not a BSer, I won’t sugar coat anything if you have stuff you want to know.

Not rude at all, remember this process is about you finding the best fit for you. Feel free to PM if you have an questions or any clarification of anything. I’m not a BSer, I won’t sugar coat anything if you have stuff you want to know.
Thank you all! I'm trying to make my decision quick enough where someone else can have my spot in time to find a place to live and get ready for class. I'm hoping that this accepted student day will help me decide.

Deciding between OU and OSU as well, leading toward OSU. The accepted student day will help make my choice.

Deciding between OU and OSU as well, leading toward OSU. The accepted student day will help make my choice.

Go to OU. The residency opportunities are simply different between the degrees, even with us having our own residency programs.

There are also other reasons, PM me if you want to know my opinion.

While I do agree that OU may have more access to a broader list of residencies, simply graduating from OU is not going to gain you a position in a residency.

For me, I was accepted to both and it was for sure a tough decision but from the beginning I could tell I was always leaning toward OSU. I knew that for me I would have the most success coming to OSU. The relaxing and super friendly atmosphere and the willingness of faculty to do anything is something I need. I have a large amount of people willing to drop what they are doing and explain something if I'm stuck so I don't sit around for too long trying to get it down.

So be honest with yourself and think about all of the aspects because it is obviously very important where you think you fit. I would not learn as much or do as good and it would probably reflect on boards, etc. So that is my 2 cents on how to look at it, but just because you graduated from OU but you have subpar grades and barely passed boards isnt going to be an advantage

While I do agree that OU may have more access to a broader list of residencies, simply graduating from OU is not going to gain you a position in a residency.

For me, I was accepted to both and it was for sure a tough decision but from the beginning I could tell I was always leaning toward OSU. I knew that for me I would have the most success coming to OSU. The relaxing and super friendly atmosphere and the willingness of faculty to do anything is something I need. I have a large amount of people willing to drop what they are doing and explain something if I'm stuck so I don't sit around for too long trying to get it down.

So be honest with yourself and think about all of the aspects because it is obviously very important where you think you fit. I would not learn as much or do as good and it would probably reflect on boards, etc. So that is my 2 cents on how to look at it, but just because you graduated from OU but you have subpar grades and barely passed boards isnt going to be an advantage

An average student from OU will have more options than an average student from OSU, and above average students will have a lot more options. It’s simply how it is. Their curriculum also has a lot less fluff, they have a better grading system, they take NBME exams, and they don’t have to take COMLEX. All pluses.

OSU is a great school, but unless someone is 100% dead set on primary care or absolutely loves the idea of OMM then there really isn’t a reason to choose it over OU. Some of the residency programs at OSU are having a harder time getting ACGME accreditation than they originally thought they would so that is also something to consider.

Reactions: 2 users