2017-2018 Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (OSU-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The waiting is killing me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
506 mcat 3.9 gpa IS. Got an interview call this morning

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Complete date and stats?

You just dont get a secondary from them without sharing.

My secondary was complete on 7/5. I'm in state, GPA ~3.8, sGPA ~3.7. 506 MCAT. I have worked in healthcare for the past 4+ years.

Reactions: 3 users
Received my interview call Friday morning (Oct. 6)
Scheduled for Oct. 18

Application completed August 1st.

IS. MCAT 510, cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.3
3rd time applying
2nd time offered an interview
Since my last application, I have been working on my master's in biomedical sciences on the OSU-CHS campus. AMAZING opportunity and experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any ideas about which faculty will be interviewing on which days?

Scheduled for Oct. 18

3rd time applying
Since my last application, I have been working on my master's in biomedical sciences on the OSU-CHS campus. AMAZING opportunity and experience.

you have really good stats, do you have any idea why they didnt take you the first time?

Scheduled for Oct. 18

3rd time applying

Ill be there on the 18th as well. Congrats!

I'm having a tough time deciding between OU and OSU. I like the DO program but will have to commute form OKC (wife is in grad school here). I've heard mixed reviews about OSU. Some say it's great and has a family culture and others say that it can be corrupt and administration can cause problems. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm having a tough time deciding between OU and OSU. I like the DO program but will have to commute form OKC (wife is in grad school here). I've heard mixed reviews about OSU. Some say it's great and has a family culture and others say that it can be corrupt and administration can cause problems. Any thoughts?

OSU is great, I would still go to OU

Our school is great and I personally think its tied for first with PCOM and MSU as far as DO schools go. But, going MD over DO is the best choice unless you need to live in a certain area or are dead set on something non-competitive. Your options will be much broader with an MD.

you have really good stats, do you have any idea why they didnt take you the first time?

Well I made that 510 just this past year in April! Before that, my old MCAT score was a 24 and my first new MCAT score was a 493. I received an interview the very first year I applied (with the 24 MCAT score) and I think my interview was what held me back. I didn't have a lot of confidence and I was told that I wasn't very open in the interview. The second year I applied (with the 493) I wasn't even offered an interview. But honestly, taking those master's courses is what I think really helped boost my confidence and my MCAT score. I was taking medical school classes alongside first year medical students and those rigorous classes helped a lot with studying for the MCAT. But my learned lesson is to just work on being relaxed and confident when answering interview questions!!

Well I made that 510 just this past year in April! Before that, my old MCAT score was a 24 and my first new MCAT score was a 493. I received an interview the very first year I applied (with the 24 MCAT score) and I think my interview was what held me back. I didn't have a lot of confidence and I was told that I wasn't very open in the interview. The second year I applied (with the 493) I wasn't even offered an interview. But honestly, taking those master's courses is what I think really helped boost my confidence and my MCAT score. I was taking medical school classes alongside first year medical students and those rigorous classes helped a lot with studying for the MCAT. But my learned lesson is to just work on being relaxed and confident when answering interview questions!!

great advice i really appreciate it, really put things into perspective

Long story somewhat related to OSU follows: I know a man - let's call him Steve - who went to Peru one summer to participate in a healing ritual. During this ritual, one drinks several cups of Ayahuasca. For those who are unfamiliar, this is a plant with psychoactive properties when prepared properly. Steve ingested great quantities of this brew over the course of three days, which allowed him to live as a tourist in his own mind, breaching sealed doors to unknown desires, and sealing breached doors to previously unconquerable fears. Once Steve returned to his body, and Steve returned his body to the departing airport, he noticed a man that seemed to be examining his form, his mind, and his soul. Alas, what more than fate might bring these two, the observer and the observed, to share a pair of seats on the flight back home? The observer turned to Steve after takeoff, removed his glasses, and said, "I can't help but notice you've taken the medicine." Baffled, Steve replied, "Were you in the group that went to the jungle?" "I was healed many years ago, just as you were. Have you found a school that fits your preference," the observer questioned. Anxious, yet intrigued, Steve looked back at the man and asked, "How do you know I'm applying anywhere?" The observer calmly asked again, "Where do you intend on developing your mind?" Steve, straining himself not to stutter, softly replied, "I've only applied to one school, in Oklahoma. A medical school." And the observer said, with a hopeful smile, "Of course. You will do very well at OSU. I myself am an osteopath. And soon you will be too." How creepy is that?! True story.

Long story somewhat related to OSU follows: I know a man - let's call him Steve - who went to Peru one summer to participate in a healing ritual. During this ritual, one drinks several cups of Ayahuasca. For those who are unfamiliar, this is a plant with psychoactive properties when prepared properly. Steve ingested great quantities of this brew over the course of three days, which allowed him to live as a tourist in his own mind, breaching sealed doors to unknown desires, and sealing breached doors to previously unconquerable fears. Once Steve returned to his body, and Steve returned his body to the departing airport, he noticed a man that seemed to be examining his form, his mind, and his soul. Alas, what more than fate might bring these two, the observer and the observed, to share a pair of seats on the flight back home? The observer turned to Steve after takeoff, removed his glasses, and said, "I can't help but notice you've taken the medicine." Baffled, Steve replied, "Were you in the group that went to the jungle?" "I was healed many years ago, just as you were. Have you found a school that fits your preference," the observer questioned. Anxious, yet intrigued, Steve looked back at the man and asked, "How do you know I'm applying anywhere?" The observer calmly asked again, "Where do you intend on developing your mind?" Steve, straining himself not to stutter, softly replied, "I've only applied to one school, in Oklahoma. A medical school." And the observer said, with a hopeful smile, "Of course. You will do very well at OSU. I myself am an osteopath. And soon you will be too." How creepy is that?! True story.

:eyebrow:

Reactions: 2 users

Yeah.. I probably wouldn't mention that in an interview (or personal statement)

Yeah.. I probably wouldn't mention that in an interview (or personal statement)

Id also not let anyone find out who you are if you are interviewing lol. First impressions are everything. Dont be "that person" from SDN spewing weird things lol.

Id also not let anyone find out who you are if you are interviewing lol. First impressions are everything. Dont be "that person" from SDN spewing weird things lol.
Oh come on guys, we're all getting anxious. I thought a cool story posted on this thread would break up the pattern of anxiety many of these posts contribute to. I'm sorry :(

Hope to see some of you interviewing soon, if anyone is mean to you then they are most likely @DNC127 ;)

Oh come on guys, we're all getting anxious. I thought a cool story posted on this thread would break up the pattern of anxiety many of these posts contribute to. I'm sorry :(

Dont trip lol. Its really not a big deal haha.

Our school is great and I personally think its tied for first with PCOM and MSU as far as DO schools go. But, going MD over DO is the best choice unless you need to live in a certain area or are dead set on something non-competitive. Your options will be much broader with an MD.

Do you think the DO stigma has anything to do with that?

Just attended an open house event today in the Tandy building at OSU-COM. This place is really unbelievable, they have the nicest, newest everything. The people in admissions, the students, the professors, everyone was friendly, helpful and easy-going. All the students were enjoying themselves, and seemed actually happy. And they gave us lunch and a t-shirt! Everyone in our group was really impressed.

Do you think the DO stigma has anything to do with that?

Absolutely. The MD simply opens more doors.
Residencies are combining in a few years, do you think DOs will still be limited in their opportunities, or do you think that'd help bridge the gap?

No, if anything it will hurt DOs who are wanting to apply to competitive fields. The benefits of the merger are found post residency.

Just attended an open house event today in the Tandy building at OSU-COM. This place is really unbelievable, they have the nicest, newest everything. The people in admissions, the students, the professors, everyone was friendly, helpful and easy-going. All the students were enjoying themselves, and seemed actually happy. And they gave us lunch and a t-shirt! Everyone in our group was really impressed.
I just interviewed today, and I absolutely loved it. I already knew I wanted to go, having attended their MedXtravaganza conference back in January. But today just confirmed it. I love the family atmosphere, and the friendliness of every person you meet. The facilities really are top of the line as well. Everything about the school and the area around it makes me hope for an acceptance at OSU. Now, I am just hoping that call comes sooner rather than later if it does come at all!

Reactions: 3 users
And there was a really nice girl there, that I invited to come!! She’s awesome !

Wut? The area around us is sketchy as hell haha. But yeah the school is pretty great.
Lol! I should have specified. I should have said around Tulsa, because I was looking around towns like Jenks and Sand Springs for my fiancée and I to live if I am accepted.

Lol! I should have specified. I should have said around Tulsa, because I was looking around towns like Jenks and Sand Springs for my fiancée and I to live if I am accepted.

If you move to Tulsa, jenks/South Tulsa is definitely the way to go. Or there are nice houses between 11th-21st and delaware-Yale, which are closer to the school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

II today at 10:30!! Confirmed for 10/25. So so excited! I love this school!

This has probably been answered already but what interview style can one expect?

This has probably been answered already but what interview style can one expect?
Laid back and conversational. There is still an air of professionalism, so don't get too comfortable during the interview. Just know why medicine, why osteopathic medicine, and why OSU answers really well. Be able to talk about your extracurriculars fairly well too.

Laid back and conversational. There is still an air of professionalism, so don't get too comfortable during the interview. Just know why medicine, why osteopathic medicine, and why OSU answers really well. Be able to talk about your extracurriculars fairly well too.

Is the format one-on-one, group, or MMI?

Did they give you a timeframe for when you'd hear back after your interview?

Did they give you a timeframe for when you'd hear back after your interview?

They told us to expect a 4 week wait, with a high possibility of being waitlisted because of how early it is in their cycle. They said that this isn't a bad thing though, because half of each entering class will have been waitlisted at some point. Students told us to expect to hear back within two weeks of the interview though, so it just depends I think.

Can you elaborate on this? Interviewing 11/03/17
Thanks

you actually from idaho?

They will literally ask you to "teach them something" Some people taught them how to make a paper airplaine, some taught how to make pancakes, I discussed the pathophysiology of a congenital heart condition, ect. ect.