2017-2018 Pennsylvania State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II Today!!!!! 3.96 gpa, 4.0sgpa, 507 mcat !

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For people who recently interviewed here, were the interviews group with multiple faculty members or just one on one?!

II today. Secondary completed on 10/7. 3.9 sGPA, 3.5 non-scienceGPA (So low overall due to transfer credits). 507 MCAT and that is even with a 122 on CARS. So even if you bomb a section, seems like there is still hope!

congrats!! if you dont mind me asking, were you instate or out of state? URM/ORM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thinking back to interview day, I believe these are separate programs. Someone else might be able to correct me, though. :)
Thanks for replying!
In their Phase 1 curriculum description, they mention that the PAT Project is under the "Humanities and Health Thread," while students serve as patient navigators under the "Science of Health Systems Curriculum" so I assumed they were two separate programs; however, they do sound kind of similar based on the video/text descriptions, so I wanted to make sure haha. Don't want to awkwardly mix them up during my interviews.

Thanks for replying!
In their Phase 1 curriculum description, they mention that the PAT Project is under the "Humanities and Health Thread," while students serve as patient navigators under the "Science of Health Systems Curriculum" so I assumed they were two separate programs; however, they do sound kind of similar based on the video/text descriptions, so I wanted to make sure haha. Don't want to awkwardly mix them up during my interviews.
I totally understand! If it helps, I believe we had the presentation (which included mention of these projects/programs) before our interviews, so you'd get an overview to help keep it straight ;) Of course, that's reliant on being an afternoon interviewee...

Reactions: 1 user
I totally understand! If it helps, I believe we had the presentation (which included mention of these projects/programs) before our interviews, so you'd get an overview to help keep it straight ;) Of course, that's reliant on being an afternoon interviewee...

Good point! I happened to have scheduled my interviews for the afternoon, so I’ll make sure to pay extra attention to the presentation. Thanks again! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was reading their website and wanted to clarify something: does anyone know if the Patients as Teachers Project is the same as the patient navigator program?

Sorry I did not get to reply sooner. Patients as Teachers and Patient Navigation are completely separate programs. You have to do both starting pretty early in your first year.

EDIT: to clarify the differences:
Patients as Teachers = students in pairs are assigned to a patient. Students meet with their patient multiple times throughout the year and learn from the patient about the challenges they might have faced as part of the medical system. At the end of the year you make some sort of a creative gift for your patient to thank them.
Patient navigation = groups of students are assigned to various sites in the hospital/in the area. You have to be at your site 8-12 hours a month and while there, you pretty much help out the staff with quite literally navigating patients through the medical system (responsibilities vary based on site but it can be stuff like making pre-op/post-op calls, calling patients to check in on them/make sure they're taking their meds, going to appointments with patients, etc).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Sorry I did not get to reply sooner. Patients as Teachers and Patient Navigation are completely separate programs. You have to do both starting pretty early in your first year.

EDIT: to clarify the differences:
Patients as Teachers = students in pairs are assigned to a patient. Students meet with their patient multiple times throughout the year and learn from the patient about the challenges they might have faced as part of the medical system. At the end of the year you make some sort of a creative gift for your patient to thank them.
Patient navigation = groups of students are assigned to various sites in the hospital/in the area. You have to be at your site 8-12 hours a month and while there, you pretty much help out the staff with quite literally navigating patients through the medical system (responsibilities vary based on site but it can be stuff like making pre-op/post-op calls, calling patients to check in on them/make sure they're taking their meds, going to appointments with patients, etc).

Thank you so much for the detailed response. Really appreciate it!

II this morning, complete August 20th

Reactions: 3 users
Completed Sep 11 and nothing yet!! Come on Penn State! Show me some love!! Send me my II!! :love:

Awww I'm still hoping for love from this school! The best doctor I know went to Penn state and it would be such an honor for me to get a II here. I'm OOS so I know it's a long shot but it's not over till I get that R!

Awww I'm still hoping for love from this school! The best doctor I know went to Penn state and it would be such an honor for me to get a II here. I'm OOS so I know it's a long shot but it's not over till I get that R!

****, I'm IS, all my stats are above their median, strong Ex's, and a veteran. Complete 8/5 and silence. It' really starting to get to me.

II this morning! Complete here 9/7, OOS (NJ), and was not on hold or at least didn't receive notification of being placed on hold.

Only interview dates available on calendar were 12/6 and 12/8. Jan/Feb/March may not be open yet, but there were no dates.

Does anyone know if the tour is inside? Trying to decide if I should wear one inside or just leave it in the car before going in.

edit: ... I meant wear a coat, oops.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the tour is inside? Trying to decide if I should wear one inside or just leave it in the car before going in.

It's mainly inside, but you pass through outside at times to take short cuts. Don't think you'd need a jacket, but Linda, at admissions office, is very nice and offers to take your coats if you have at the beginning of the day!

It's mainly inside, but you pass through outside at times to take short cuts. Don't think you'd need a jacket, but Linda, at admissions office, is very nice and offers to take your coats if you have at the beginning of the day!

Perfect thanks!

Has anyone who was complete mid August been rejected yet? Trying to decide if my silence is a silent rejection :|

Chose my school over Penn State for undergrad, wonder if they're holding a grudge because I am sitting on silence

Just been put on hold . Not sure whether to remain hopeful or not.

If I've heard nothing since submitting in July does that mean a rejection is coming? :/

Reactions: 2 users
+1 on hold via email. Complete mid August. LM 64

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using SDN mobile

Put on hold today via email and in the portal. OOS, I never got an actual complete email, but I may have been complete at the beginning of October.

From what I can tell, being on pre-II hold means that you will either get an II in Late January or February, or they'll run out the clock and give you an R in late March.

So there's still a chance!

Pre-II hold today. Complete mid-July. Shame; PSU is my top choice :/

From what I can tell, being on pre-II hold means that you will either get an II in Late January or February, or they'll run out the clock and give you an R in late March.

So there's still a chance!

I submitted early/mid Sep and still silence... it's killing me!!! talk about serious anxiety!!

What I have noticed is that there have been a ton of pre-II holds, very little rejections, and a bunch of silence posted on this thread. I have been complete since the middle of August without a reply, and I have no idea if that is a good or bad thing. My heart says good, but my brain says bad.