2017-2018 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if Downstate is receptive to letters of interest pre-II?

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed first week of October and still haven't had a student interview, so there's that, but not too worried about it

@wcohen93

I interviewed the fourth week of October, had a student interview a couple of weeks ago, and have received a decision. Maybe you should contact them and ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
just got a hold for spring review. pre ii. anyone have any insight into this?

From their faqs section:

18. What does hold for spring consideration mean?
Hold for spring consideration before interview means the Admissions Committee will re-review your application after January 2.

hoping its not basically a rejection

Reactions: 1 user
From their faqs section:

18. What does hold for spring consideration mean?
Hold for spring consideration before interview means the Admissions Committee will re-review your application after January 2.

hoping its not basically a rejection
Wow that earlier than I thought. Yea hoping we still have a decent chance.

Lol they have an accepted students page for the class of 2022 that consists of two people, their admissions facebook page and their student affairs facebook page

Reactions: 4 users
Just placed on hold for spring consideration post-interview! Does anyone know what this means? Is it like a waitlist, or is there an actual waitlist?

And also as an aside— I sense around the SDN community that there’s a lot of sadness and disappointment surrounding “holds” or “waitlist” decisions. While it would obviously be AMAZING to be accepted outright, I think there’s a lot to be proud of if you’re placed on one of those hold/wait lists. It means that they COULDVE said no, but they didn’t! We’re all still in the running and that is certainly something to celebrate :)

Reactions: 5 users
I interviewed 11/2 was not contacted by a student and was just put on Hold.
More waiting in store for me! Good luck everyone, this program and the population they serve is amazing!
Same here. Interviewed 11/14. I got the email from admissions saying a student would contact me soon on 12/18. Hold for spring consideration email came today pre-peer interview.

Just placed on hold for spring consideration post-interview! Does anyone know what this means? Is it like a waitlist, or is there an actual waitlist?

And also as an aside— I sense around the SDN community that there’s a lot of sadness and disappointment surrounding “holds” or “waitlist” decisions. While it would obviously be AMAZING to be accepted outright, I think there’s a lot to be proud of if you’re placed on one of those hold/wait lists. It means that they COULDVE said no, but they didn’t! We’re all still in the running and that is certainly something to celebrate :)

You're right - definitely a lot to be proud of!
The website says: The Alternate list placement is decided in late May. Generally, an applicant is first placed on the Hold list to be eligible for consideration for the Alternate list.

So I'm guessing the most likely way to be placed on the Alternate list is from the Hold list?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone interviewed without being accepted or held for spring consideration? Asking because if you your admission decision has not yet been determined by 12/22, presumably it will necessarily be determined after 1/02, which is probably when the admissions committee reconvenes after Winter break. This would mean that you you would necessarily be deferred to spring consideration. Got that thicc hold today...

Depends on the school. Some do not seem to reject post interview. So unless you commit a major error during your interview, you are either getting accepted or rejected.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just got a Hold for spring consideration, tbh thought I was going to get rejected after my interview so I'm oddly relieved

Completely unexpected II just now. OOS. Complete in Oct. I am taken aback but very excited :)

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted today! Interviewed 11/14, peer interviewed 12/22 and accepted 1/3

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed mid November and still haven't heard a thing about the peer interview. Is anyone else in the same situation?

Reactions: 1 users
Got a II just now. But I don't think I can make the date they gave me? Has anyone had luck rescheduling? Do they make it difficult?

Got a II just now. But I don't think I can make the date they gave me? Has anyone had luck rescheduling? Do they make it difficult?
On a Sunday, I don't understand this process anymore. But congrats! When were you complete?

As for your question - I think that if you give them a call tomorrow they might be able to work something out o.o but im not sure

On a Sunday, I don't understand this process anymore. But congrats! When were you complete?

As for your question - I think that if you give them a call tomorrow they might be able to work something out o.o but im not sure
I was complete very early, not sure the exact date. But submitted primary my first week and the Downstate secondary within 2 days. And yes this process is very random! Will call them tomorrow and post about it on here for future people needing to reschedule

I was complete very early, not sure the exact date. But submitted primary my first week and the Downstate secondary within 2 days. And yes this process is very random! Will call them tomorrow and post about it on here for future people needing to reschedule

Thank you! And best on luck on the rescheduling and the interview!

Just wondering if anyone who interviewed pre- November has neither received a peer interview nor been put on hold? I understand that students are busy so I'm perfectly fine waiting ^^. I just hope the email wasn't lost or something and I don't want to bother admissions if this is normal.

Interviewed late November, and the woman told me to expect the peer interview to happen in 2-4 weeks. After the 4-wk mark, I reached out to them and they said it would be another few weeks, so I think the wait is normal. Seems most people should hear about the peer interview within 2 months? But then, it does seem like the decision comes soon after!

Hey, were they accomadating with your request?

Received an email saying I was accepted to the MPH program. Do the MD and MPH committees make their decisions separately? I haven't heard about IIs or anything on the MD end..

Received an email saying I was accepted to the MPH program. Do the MD and MPH committees make their decisions separately? I haven't heard about IIs or anything on the MD end..
Same here, and they want a decision (and $150 deposit) right away... Does anyone know if I can still be considered for the MD program if I decline the MPH acceptance?

Is the deposit refundable? I interviewed recently for MD, and obviously have not yet heard back about that, but just got accepted to the MPH today as well

I just called about the deposit. It's refundable up until April 1st and it's a separate deposit from the MD program.

I just called about the deposit. It's refundable up until April 1st and it's a separate deposit from the MD program.
Perfect, thank you! I'm assuming its paid on the portal, but my portal isn't loading...

Don't have any MD acceptances yet, so this is the first deposit I'll be paying haha

I received an email saying my application was put on hold for spring consideration post-interview, and then was contacted for a peer interview 1 week later. The student who interviewed me said I would be hearing from SUNY in the next couple of weeks. Did this happen to anyone else? Should I actually expect another decision email or was the timing just off?

I received an email saying my application was put on hold for spring consideration post-interview, and then was contacted for a peer interview 1 week later. The student who interviewed me said I would be hearing from SUNY in the next couple of weeks. Did this happen to anyone else? Should I actually expect another decision email or was the timing just off?
No I had my peer interview before I was put on hold for spring consideration

This happened to me as well. I'm not sure what it means, but my peer interviewer was great. Here's hoping that changes the tides?

Was rescheduled for early February ( couldn’t make my first interview date). There was a full week of silence before I heard back about being rescheduled. Also don’t bother calling they will tell you to just email them and wait for a response.

Was rescheduled for early February ( couldn’t make my first interview date). There was a full week of silence before I heard back about being rescheduled. Also don’t bother calling they will tell you to just email them and wait for a response.
Did they give you options for the reschedule date, or just assigned you one? I just got an II but I will not be able to make the date, and the two weeks before it. Hoping they don't reschedule me for then...

I replied and told them all the dates I would be unavailable then they assigned me a new date, no options.

Did they give you options for the reschedule date, or just assigned you one? I just got an II but I will not be able to make the date, and the two weeks before it. Hoping they don't reschedule me for then...[/QUOT

For those who interviewed, did they make you write an essay?

It's not really an "essay." It's like a 150-word short blurb about a picture they give you. They said it doesn't impact the decision at all. It may be just one of those experimental things they're trying out to see if it's useful. I wouldn't stress about it!

It's not really an "essay." It's like a 150-word short blurb about a picture they give you. They said it doesn't impact the decision at all. It may be just one of those experimental things they're trying out to see if it's useful. I wouldn't stress about it!
To add to this, one of the students who led the tour mentioned that he's seen admissions officers just throw them directly in the trash, and that he thinks it's just to pass the time so we don't get bored waiting. (He could totally be joking, but I like to think it's true)

Also a question for those who have interviewed. How long is the whole experience? The email doesn't say how long to expect to be there.

Also a question for those who have interviewed. How long is the whole experience? The email doesn't say how long to expect to be there.
Your interview is an hour. Lunch and tour is approximately 12-1. That's it