2017-2018 SUNY - Downstate

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ahhh I think I’m going to give them a call tomorrow, I just don’t want to seem impatient


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I totally feel you. The office had said "2-4 weeks," so I emailed them after 4 weeks, but I only got this reply:

"Thank you for your email and patience in waiting for a student to contact you. Within the next few weeks a student will be contacting you to conduct the peer-to-peer conversation."

I guess it's hard because it's up to the student to contact you. I doubt the Admissions office hunts down your assigned student every time you email to remind them hahaha.
 
So what's the general consensus about pre-II updates here? From their complete email, it doesn't seem like they are receptive...has any one here sent an update letter?
 
So what's the general consensus about pre-II updates here? From their complete email, it doesn't seem like they are receptive...has any one here sent an update letter?
Sent them one and they said "Thank you for your email and continued interest in SUNY Downstate Medical Center. Your document was received and appended to your application. You will be notified in writing if any further information is needed." So I say go for it
 
Sent them one and they said "Thank you for your email and continued interest in SUNY Downstate Medical Center. Your document was received and appended to your application. You will be notified in writing if any further information is needed." So I say go for it
Oh cool, I guess it shouldn't hurt then! Thanks 😀
 
has anyone applied for the MD/PhD program here? I'm curious about the structure, especially the chalk talk; my interview date is coming up soon and I haven't really had any official communication from them besides an email confirming the interview date and saying that more info will be given closer to the date.
 
I received my peer interview email around 7 weeks after my initial interview so if your wait is past the 4 week mark I wouldnt stress it.
 
I received my peer interview email around 7 weeks after my initial interview so if your wait is past the 4 week mark I wouldnt stress it.

I've been sitting here waiting even longer than that. Stress has been replaced with hopelessness haha.
 
Does anyone know if the downstate interview is open or closed file? Also, what was the format? (i.e. are there multiple one on one interviews or only one?) Basically any insight into the interview process would be greatly appreciated! Good luck everyone!
 
Does anyone know if the downstate interview is open or closed file? Also, what was the format? (i.e. are there multiple one on one interviews or only one?) Basically any insight into the interview process would be greatly appreciated! Good luck everyone!
The interview is open file. My interviewer actually had a printed copy of my application and basically went through it and asked questions as he went while in the room with me. It was suuuuuper casual. You only interview with one faculty member, and the interview times were staggered so we all got out at different times. Mine was at 1 pm and I was done by 1:30. The interviewees were split into two groups and one group interviewed in the morning while the other went on the tour, and vice versa. Good luck!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone else get the "Heads up, your peer interviewer will contact you shortly!" email yesterday? I got excited that it was the actual student reaching out...but nope...
 
How did everyones peer interview go? I have mine coming up soon and I was wondering if anyone had any tips!

I'm an MS1 at SUNY Downstate. The peer interviews are not supposed to be very stressful situations, but obviously what you say matters; I think it's safe to assume that your responses will be communicated to the admissions committee in some way. But the whole point of having student interviewers was an attempt to get applicants to open up more, since students are usually much more relatable than faculty members.

As with any interview, how you answer the questions and how you carry yourself often matters even more than what your actual answers are. Be friendly, conversational, and honest. Don't overthink it. Interviewers really want to get to know you better, and they're happy to answer any questions you might have about the school. They're a nice group, and they aren't out to get you.

I check this thread occasionally, but feel free to PM me any questions you might have about Downstate and I'll be happy to answer them if I can.
 
I'm an MS1 at SUNY Downstate. The peer interviews are not supposed to be very stressful situations, but obviously what you say matters; I think it's safe to assume that your responses will be communicated to the admissions committee in some way. But the whole point of having student interviewers was an attempt to get applicants to open up more, since students are usually much more relatable than faculty members.

As with any interview, how you answer the questions and how you carry yourself often matters even more than what your actual answers are. Be friendly, conversational, and honest. Don't overthink it. Interviewers really want to get to know you better, and they're happy to answer any questions you might have about the school. They're a nice group, and they aren't out to get you.

I check this thread occasionally, but feel free to PM me any questions you might have about Downstate and I'll be happy to answer them if I can.

Thanks for the tip!! Do you know how long these typically are? Is it ~30min or more a full hour?
 
For all those anxiously waiting for responses from admissions; whether it be for an interview invite or an acceptance, try your best to be patient. Speaking from experience, I interviewed in February and was accepted two weeks before orientation. If Downstate is your first choice, do everything to show that it is your first choice; however, do not bombard the admissions office with 'updates.' I suggest sending an update/letter of interest only when you have been placed on Hold or the Alternate list. In this way, your letter can hold more weight and has a less chance of being over-looked. As far as the content in your letter; I would suggest writing about something that sets you apart from the rest--something that makes you the best possible applicant for Downstate, especially (and not just for any medical school). Empathy goes a long way at Downstate (and in life in general).

Patience is key and this is something I had to learn through the whole med school application process. In retrospect, I am happy I was able to enjoy myself during the wait because in medical school time becomes so much more valuable and scarce! Good luck everyone and enjoy the ride. Message me if you have any questions or concerns about Downstate. Unlike the peer interviews, I do not report back to admissions lol 😉
 
Does anyone have the link to the accepted students facebook page? In their email they forget to link it. Instead it says "[Paste link here]" LOL
 
Those who interviewed in early/mid December -- has anyone else not been contacted for the peer interview? I'm nearing on 8 weeks now since my interview without being being contacted and I'm concerned this may be a sign of an imminent R.....
 
Those who interviewed in early/mid December -- has anyone else not been contacted for the peer interview? I'm nearing on 8 weeks now since my interview without being being contacted and I'm concerned this may be a sign of an imminent R.....

I interviewed in November, and I only got contacted mid-last week!!! I think each student is assigned a lot of applicants and just takes a while for them to get through it all. My interviewer was an MS3 who had been busy with rotations and such. I wouldn't worry!! 🙂
 
I personally heard back from my peer interviewer about 10 days after my interview, but I interviewed earlier in the cycle. I also think it depends on the schedule of the student who is interviewing you. Hope that helps!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got an email requesting confirmation of interview interest... I'm assuming anyone who hasn't heard from SUNY Downstate yet got this email?
 
I called today, and someone from admissions told me not to reply to the email if I'm not withdrawing.
Thanks for taking one for the team lol I wasn’t sure whether I should reply either. Like I want to show interest, but I don’t want them to mistake my reply for a withdrawal #thestruggle
 
So I recently got invited for the student interview- any tips? Also, is the consensus here that we would get decisions soon after our student interview? I interviewed early Jan
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad