2017-2018 SUNY - Downstate

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II today. Seems pretty late in the game for one.. Guessing it's just for the waitlist.
Congrats nevertheless! And I believe last year, SUNY Downstate explicitly told people if they were interviewing for the WL. So if your email doesn’t say that, you should be good!

BTW, did you ever receive an email from them about confirming your interview interest?
 
Congrats nevertheless! And I believe last year, SUNY Downstate explicitly told people if they were interviewing for the WL. So if your email doesn’t say that, you should be good!

BTW, did you ever receive an email from them about confirming your interview interest?
Nope it didn't say that so that's nice to know! And no I didn't. This is the first I've heard from them since submitting my secondary in September.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone respond to the email that is "Requesting Confirmation of Interview Interest"? The email makes it sound like we should only respond if we want to withdraw.
 
Does anyone in this forum know when classes will begin? And/or orientation? Planning a trip for the week of July 22-28 and hoping it won't be affected. Thabks!
 
Does anyone in this forum know when classes will begin? And/or orientation? Planning a trip for the week of July 22-28 and hoping it won't be affected. Thabks!

Strange they did not include this info in the acceptance folder but I would look at their website for a specific calendar maybe?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What does un-rejected mean? You were rejected and then offered acceptance?
No, Downstate sent an email rejecting me post-interview. Then sent a second email several hours later saying that the first rejection had been sent in error, and that my application is still under consideration.
 
No, Downstate sent an email rejecting me post-interview. Then sent a second email several hours later saying that the first rejection had been sent in error, and that my application is still under consideration.
Oh wow, so you're still in the game! That's still pretty unprofessional
 
Ya boiii here did. I'm not even mad tbh, just relieved.
I laughed tbh when i saw the second email. I got put on spring consideration in December so I was kinda surpised that I was rejected this early from it, but I just wonder if it means anything for us in the future
 
Deciding between suny downstate and buffalo. Which school is better/more competitive? Pros and cons of each? Any suggestions are appreciated

If I were you I'd go to downstate. They are pretty similarly ranked. For preclinical grades, Down State uses pass/fail, buffalo has letter grading, which as a med student adds a bit more stress on wanting to do well. Also, NYC>>> Buffalo, although you will be studying for the most part, there is always something to do in the city, whereas buffalo is kinda a smaller place. Also the weather is a whole lot better in NYC, unless you prefer the cold, and lake effect snow.
 
Does anyone in this forum know when classes will begin? And/or orientation? Planning a trip for the week of July 22-28 and hoping it won't be affected. Thabks!
Just saw now on the acceptance reply form: "Orientation and registration materials will be mailed at the end of April 2018"
I know you need to make plans early so I recommend their website again
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed at the beginning of this month and am "patiently" awaiting a decision... At least that rejection/un-rejection day was a thrilling distraction.
 
Anyone who interviewed this month (2/18): have you had the peer interview? Will they email you to schedule or just call?
 
Deciding between suny downstate and buffalo. Which school is better/more competitive? Pros and cons of each? Any suggestions are appreciated

Downstate 17' grad casually browsing these threads reliving the stress...

Go to school in an environment where you'll be happy. I know people who went to both schools who matched very, very well into their respective fields. Location matters a lot when studying as much as you will in med school, and if you're unhappy it will definitely hurt. Also, if you want to go into something competitive, you will always have the best shot at matching at your home program. So if worse comes to worst, do you want to spend the next 7-10 years of your life in Buffalo or NYC? Some may laugh at the comparison, but think carefully about what YOU want.

Downstate also has a very slight in matching exemplary applicants into Urology and Ophthalmology.
 
Have people that interviewed in January had their peer interview yet? haven't heard anything at all, except for the admissions office telling me that a student will contact me shortly.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Until when are they sending interviews and what does it mean if you did not get the email about withdrawing your app if you’re not interested anymore?
From last year's thread, I believe the last reported II was in March.

And as for your second question, I think the general consensus right now is IDK. A few people that just got IIs didn't get the email. My theory is maybe that since the email said to withdraw by Feb 16, they'll probably start looking at our apps this coming week? But who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
From last year's thread, I believe the last reported II was in March.

And as for your second question, I think the general consensus right now is IDK. A few people that just got IIs didn't get the email. My theory is maybe that since the email said to withdraw by Feb 16, they'll probably start looking at our apps this coming week? But who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Submitted 9/5/17 and denied today. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back.