2017-2018 Tufts University Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II = interview invite NOT secondary

Oh hahaha, I'm so bad with this lingo. Thanks, I was trying to wrap my head around this all day :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
same. I received a secondary about 10 days before my primary app was verified. My Committee Letter was just snail mailed on Wednesday and I feel like peek season is looming. Any one know how long it takes AMCAS to update that they have receieved the letter?

@Lucca @gyngyn

Prompts:

(All 1000 characters)

1. Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine?

2. Do you consider yourself a person who would contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine?

3. Do you have any withdrawals or repeated coursework listed on your transcript(s).

4. Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.)

There is also a prerequisite section which asks to show which classes you have completed to complete each pre req

Credit to @abriA0
Does an MSTP applicant get the same prompt?

For the MD/MPH question: "What experience have you had that you consider relevant to the MD/MPH graduate degree program to which you are applying? (Include paid or volunteer work experiences and/or extracurricular activities) (3000 characters or less)"

Does anyone happen to know if they prefer this to be resume style or if they want an essay?

For the MD/MPH question: "What experience have you had that you consider relevant to the MD/MPH graduate degree program to which you are applying? (Include paid or volunteer work experiences and/or extracurricular activities) (3000 characters or less)"

Does anyone happen to know if they prefer this to be resume style or if they want an essay?

I wrote it essay style. I think the point is to talk about your roles in relevant experiences and then develop on what you learned from them that ultimately lead you to want to get an MPH.

Complete at this school!!! Hoping for a II soon:love:

Submitted just now! Literally forgot that I received this secondary and was getting anxious as to why I hadn't received it yet. Turns out it was sitting in my inbox all month! :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Well for starters I'll just say this, neither myself or @quietninja72 are from Boston or New England, so neither of us came with a local preference.

The culture is great, esp for being a large medical school. You don't get lost in the crowds. First and second year are pass/fail so there is zero competitiveness. There are study materials pass around online not only from within classes, but handed down from other classes. You'll have at least 2 fourth years serve as teachers in small groups and they are also great resources.

What drew me to the school academically was that it focuses on training you to be a clinician, but still provides great resources to pursue research, community service, public health, etc. I'm doing research this summer at an outside hospital that Tufts provided while I'm also working with an attending at Tufts drafting case reports who I met as a small group leader.

As for underwhelming features, Tufts is in the process of revamping the curriculum and so we were guinea pigs to some of those changes. That got a bit frustrating, but it was only like 2 classes so it was more of an inconvenience than a problem. But with that comes the good which includes a brand-new multi-million dollar anatomy that's under construction and that your class will be the first to have every anatomy class in. And I guess another positive is that we still do cadaver dissections as our primary learning tool.

Not sure if that covered anything you wanted to know, but keep asking.
Hi,

I have two questions: 1) In the secondary, where it asks about how I met prerequisites, should I put classes that have both lecture and lab component under Laboratory section? 2) I know I will list the classes, but do I need to describe what each class is about? Thanks

Hi,

I have two questions: 1) In the secondary, where it asks about how I met prerequisites, should I put classes that have both lecture and lab component under Laboratory section? 2) I know I will list the classes, but do I need to describe what each class is about? Thanks

I don't remember much about how I filled out the secondary, but they'll contact you if they have any questions about your courses. I wouldn't worry too much about how you fill it out, but ask your fellow applicants as I'm too far removed from applying to remember how I filled it out

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

It literally says "please list course names and numbers." There's no need to describe the classes. Like, if the class is "cellular biology," there's no need to describe that.

For labs, I listed the 5 lab courses I've taken (most were like combined lecture and lab), and then I mentioned the 3 different labs I've worked in.

I don't remember much about how I filled out the secondary, but they'll contact you if they have any questions about your courses. I wouldn't worry too much about how you fill it out, but ask your fellow applicants as I'm too far removed from applying to remember how I filled it out

Thanks!

It literally says "please list course names and numbers." There's no need to describe the classes. Like, if the class is "cellular biology," there's no need to describe that.

For labs, I listed the 5 lab courses I've taken (most were like combined lecture and lab), and then I mentioned the 3 different labs I've worked in.
Thanks! I just found out that I accidentally did not list 2 of my courses on my primary even though they are on my transcript. What should I do?

Thanks! I just found out that I accidentally did not list 2 of my courses on my primary even though they are on my transcript. What should I do?
Don't fret. Contact AMCAS to have it corrected. Their customer service people were super nice every time I called.

Primary and secondary submitted. Come on Tufts, show me some love.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't fret. Contact AMCAS to have it corrected. Their customer service people were super nice every time I called.
Yes , I was stressed! AMCAS told me not to worry! The verification team can enter up to 10 classes if you missed any. It is just that AMCAS does not save the information in the order you enter. There does not seem to be a certain pattern how that information is saved. When I printed it, it was not even ordered based on date, nor alphabetically.

does anyone know if the tufts secondary app has a delay in showing letters? I have a committee letter submitted around a month ago via AMCAS, applied late June, verified last week. Shows up as received at every other school besides here yet its sent electronically not mail etc. so can't really be lost haha

does anyone know if the tufts secondary app has a delay in showing letters? I have a committee letter submitted around a month ago via AMCAS, applied late June, verified last week. Shows up as received at every other school besides here yet its sent electronically not mail etc. so can't really be lost haha
Contact admissions.

Contact admissions.

If anyone else has this problem: I submitted my secondary just now but didn't hear back from admissions yet. Once you submit and pay etc. the letters show up as received. Not sure if its a glitch in the system but they might show up once you submit if they don't show up to begin with

Does anyone know when Tufts typically begins sending out II's?

Does anyone know if tufts favors people who do stuff in the Boston community any more than people from other places? I know its private so IS vs OOS shouldn't matter, but I work and do full time research here at one of the big hospitals and all my volunteering, both clinical and nonclinical are within the Boston community. Do you think this gets any preference?

This is just pure speculation and out of curiosity as I really want to go here but my poor GPA (3.3 with huge upward trend) might make me get denied even with a 515 MCAT

Does anyone know if tufts favors people who do stuff in the Boston community any more than people from other places? I know its private so IS vs OOS shouldn't matter, but I work and do full time research here at one of the big hospitals and all my volunteering, both clinical and nonclinical are within the Boston community. Do you think this gets any preference?

This is just pure speculation and out of curiosity as I really want to go here but my poor GPA (3.3 with huge upward trend) might make me get denied even with a 515 MCAT

I don't think it's a big thing to be honest for them. Remember your chances of getting into any one school is usually low anyhow.

Hey! Almost stats twin! I also have worked an volunteered extensively in Boston and Tufts is my #1 choice (Maine Track...though I would be over the moon for either). I don't think it helps to just have experience in Boston since they are private, but if in an interview you talk about why medicine in Boston interests you/why a medical education in Boston interests you/how your experiences in Boston have informed these opinions, could help them understand you are serious about their school.

The totality of your experiences will weigh more than where you do them, be it in Boston or anywhere else. That said, Tufts does have a large Boston contingent of students, but that's more because of the number of schools and post-grad research opportunities here.

Has anyone received any status changes on the portal if their application is "ready" versus "under review" ?

Since a lot of the schools use this same platform some of them say ready and some say under review but idk if they switch at all

thinking about submitting an application here, how long does it take to receive a secondary?

Wondering if anyone can provide some guidance on the secondary?

I already talked extensively about the year off I took from college in my work/activities section. What should I write for question 4 with that being the case?

Also, I retook both o chem I and pre-calc. Talked about early academic struggles a lot in my personal statement and work/activities as well. Should I discuss this further in the secondary? Is it appropriate to refer to the work/activities and PS in the secondary?

Thanks in advance.

Anyone know if AP stats counts towards the math requirement?

Wondering if anyone can provide some guidance on the secondary?

I already talked extensively about the year off I took from college in my work/activities section. What should I write for question 4 with that being the case?

Also, I retook both o chem I and pre-calc. Talked about early academic struggles a lot in my personal statement and work/activities as well. Should I discuss this further in the secondary? Is it appropriate to refer to the work/activities and PS in the secondary?

Thanks in advance.

I would still write about both of those questions in the secondary... Just word it a little different or add something new if you can. But I dont think it would be good to just reference your PS and work/activities lol (just my opinion tho)

Fingers crossed we start hearing about IIs this week!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Fingers crossed we start hearing about IIs this week!!!
I panicked when I saw this notification. I thought someone had gotten an II and I hadn't!! Oh Tufts, show me some love! :oops:

Reactions: 4 users
I was complete 7/8... I'm so anxious to hear from Tufts! I'm applying MD/MBA so idk if that will slow down the review for my app

II!! OOS, LizzieM 70.5

Reactions: 2 users