2017-2018 Tulane University Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed here Thursday and absolutely loved the school! One thing I have noticed about Tulane students is that they are all so passionate to be involved in the community. The admissions committee does a great job at finding these types of students. Here's to good luck for all of us waiting for a decision around Oct 16!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
The admissions committee did their job well, it seems. From the introduction at the beginning of our interview day, it was clear that TUSOM is very much interested in selecting students that are interested in caring for some of the most deprived populations of this particular city and committed to reducing its disparities.
Finding those types of students is definitely a priority of the admissions committee. One of the hardest parts of interviewing applicants is not being able to support an applicant who I think is great for the city of New Orleans and would serve our patients well. One of the easiest parts, however, is not supporting an applicant who I suspect will respond to their rejection with "I didn't want you anyway", regardless of metrics. It is surprisingly easy to tell the difference. Be true to yourself in your application and I guarantee you will end up in a place that is right for you/not end up in a place that you don't want to be anyway.

Reactions: 5 users
Probably a longshot since the schedule is so packed. Anyone know if Tulane does "In the Area" emails? I've had the green check since July 25th, so I am thinking (optimistically) I'm on some kind of hold list.

They at least keep a list of people in the city that fall into a locally competitive range. Sometimes if someone drops out last minute, they call someone locally who is on that list to fill the spot. I don't know how far they extend the radius to make this list.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected here last week. Thought my experiences and personal mission matched pretty perfectly with Tulane’s focus on underserved populations and health disparities, but no dice.

Congrats to everyone who interviewed— sounds like it was a fantastic experience.

Just received my EDP acceptance within the last hour. So excited to begin this journey! For other EDP admits, is there a FB group or something to join? Can't wait to meet you all and good luck on your journeys!!

Reactions: 18 users
Just received my EDP acceptance within the last hour. So excited to begin this journey! For other EDP admits, is there a FB group or something to join? Can't wait to meet you all and good luck on your journeys!!

Congratz! Im in regular decision so Im still waiting eagerly but Im happy for you!

ACCEPTED ED TO MY DREAM SCHOOL!
Congratulations to all those that have also received acceptances and best of luck to those interviewing or waiting to hear back.

I have no words.

Reactions: 22 users
Rejected here last week. Thought my experiences and personal mission matched pretty perfectly with Tulane’s focus on underserved populations and health disparities, but no dice.

Congrats to everyone who interviewed— sounds like it was a fantastic experience.

I'm sorry! Good luck with the rest of the cycle! When were you complete if you don't mind me asking?

I'm sorry! Good luck with the rest of the cycle! When were you complete if you don't mind me asking?
No worries, Thanks! Complete 8/11, wasn’t really paying attention to the green check mark.

I just found out that I paid for the secondary in the beginning of August but didn't submit it. Just submitted it now...FVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
happened to me with TWO schools, got an II from one of them :) it will be okay!

Congrats! I heard back with an EDP acceptance yesterday too. Looks like you, sophist44, and I will be classmates! I might have to make a FB if there’s going to be a group...let me know if you find/make one.

To everyone waiting: Best of luck and keep pressing onward.

Reactions: 13 users
Rejected just now. Green check mark late August complete 8/7. Bummed, love New Orleans.

Rejected pre-II today.

LizzyM: 69 Complete: 8/10 (though I also TOOK the Casper on that day).

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear that! Could you tell us if you got an email or had to check portal to find out about rejection?
Received an email although it went to my gmail update folder which doesn’t get me a notification. I neurotically check it so I saw it not too soon after they sent it

Does anyone here know if Tulane looks much favorably toward students with research experience?

Sorry to hear that! Could you tell us if you got an email or had to check portal to find out about rejection?

Got an email. The portal was also updated with the rejected status when I went to look.

Did anyone send a letter of intention? I'm wondering because I did to the Dean of Admissions, but didn't get a response from her, so I was wondering if that's anyone else's experience. She may just be the type to read it but not respond? Thanks!

Did anyone send a letter of intention? I'm wondering because I did to the Dean of Admissions, but didn't get a response from her, so I was wondering if that's anyone else's experience. She may just be the type to read it but not respond? Thanks!
I thought you don't send those out until you are waitlisted?

I thought you don't send those out until you are waitlisted?

Hm, we interviewed the same day right? (9/28) I remember Dr. Morris specifically encouraging us to send her an email if we feel particularly compelled after we explore the city/school.

Hm, we interviewed the same day right? (9/28) I remember Dr. Morris specifically encouraging us to send her an email if we feel particularly compelled after we explore the city/school.
You are right! I was under the impression that you only send letters of intent after being waitlisted but I remember her telling us to email her. Anyway, I think it can only help you and I don't think you should worry about not hearing back - she's probably very busy and I imagine she gets tons of similar emails. Hope you hear good news soon!

I was complete august 25 or so and realized the other day I finally had the green check mark.. not sure how long it may have been up.

My question is though; how realistic is the thought of admissions even if given an interview? It seems like this schools is booked through until March. At that point, is it basically just an interview for a spot on the waitlist? I know this is all subjective and hypothetical haha I'm just wondering if anyone with more knowledge about this process can led some advice.

I was complete august 25 or so and realized the other day I finally had the green check mark.. not sure how long it may have been up.

My question is though; how realistic is the thought of admissions even if given an interview? It seems like this schools is booked through until March. At that point, is it basically just an interview for a spot on the waitlist? I know this is all subjective and hypothetical haha I'm just wondering if anyone with more knowledge about this process can led some advice.
Looking at the MSAR, compared to many private schools, Tulane matriculates a large percentage of those it interviews.

Where are you guys going to be staying in NOLA? I interview 10/27 and coming in 2 days before bc of how flights worked out. Figuring out where to stay.

Also, if anyone stayed with a student host, how were the sleeping arrangements for you? Not sure if I should stay with one or not. I opted for it but not sure if I want to opt out or not.

Anyone else submitted months ago and hearing silence? I'm a July 19th submission, Green check mark July 31st and silence. I wanna make sure I'm not alone on this. I just counted the number of days and I'm at 80 days of silence, it's definitely not fun.

Anyone else submitted months ago and hearing silence? I'm a July 19th submission, Green check mark July 31st and silence. I wanna make sure I'm not alone on this. I just counted the number of days and I'm at 80 days of silence, it's definitely not fun.

If they wanted to reject you they would have done it by now, you're probably on hold until more interviews open up.

Where are you guys going to be staying in NOLA? I interview 10/27 and coming in 2 days before bc of how flights worked out. Figuring out where to stay.

Also, if anyone stayed with a student host, how were the sleeping arrangements for you? Not sure if I should stay with one or not. I opted for it but not sure if I want to opt out or not.

I kind of want to stay at the Roosevelt, since it's so close to both the school and Bourbon Street, and I'm staying for the weekend. But I'm also feeling a little cheap, and $335 a night is on the high side.

I stayed with a host and it was absolutely amazing. I crashed on a futon in the living room but everyone at the apartment gave me 100% privacy when I needed it past 9pm

On the high SIDE? That's just high per se! Lol, @ADSigMel I'm currently in law school and I'm aware you're making the combination/switch as well, just thought I'd throw some lingo at ya! :highfive:

Reactions: 1 users

I found a hostel on hostelworld with good reviews down the street. I'm on a budget... and also wanted to stay for week.

I stayed at the treme hotel! It was a 5 min drive to the school and like an 8 min drive to Frenchmen st. or Bourbon st. The walk was probably 15-20 min away. FYI the place isn't fancy or anything, but it has great reviews and the people working there are SO NICE. It was cozy, got the job done, and only cost me $220 for 3 nights! Highly recommend if you don't mind being a little bit farther away from the French quarter.

Hey I interviewed last week and my student host accommodation was the bomb. Nice people, nice place, room to myself. I got in a few days early to soak up some NOLA culture though and stayed at a hostel near the French Quarter that night- check on hostelworld they have some for <30$ a night with included breakfast. There will be some loud people and you're gonna sleep dorm-style but I would say its well worth to save literally hundreds of dollars. Enjoy your free days in this beautiful city!

On the high SIDE? That's just high per se! Lol, @ADSigMel I'm currently in law school and I'm aware you're making the combination/switch as well, just thought I'd throw some lingo at ya! :highfive:

Haha, res ipsum loquitur to you too, pal! Also, $335 really is just "on the high side" for a Saints home game weekend at a hotel close to Bourbon Street. Oh, and the price dropped to $287 a night since the last time I checked, so I went ahead and booked it. I figured since my sister and I are having a kid-free girls weekend, we might as well do it up right. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was complete late August and got the green checkmark this afternoon (still had the red exclamation point when I checked this morning). Here's to something finally happening in my application cycle! lol.

Sending all good vibes that we both get IIs!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey I interviewed last week and my student host accommodation was the bomb. Nice people, nice place, room to myself. I got in a few days early to soak up some NOLA culture though and stayed at a hostel near the French Quarter that night- check on hostelworld they have some for <30$ a night with included breakfast. There will be some loud people and you're gonna sleep dorm-style but I would say its well worth to save literally hundreds of dollars. Enjoy your free days in this beautiful city!

Some sweet deals on Airbnb also, if you’re looking for less of a dorm style living ;)

Thanks guys. How was interview day? I'm really nervous for the acting scenario.

So for people with checks since late July...do you think we should expect an II some point after Oct 15? Anyone familiar enough with the past threads to have an idea?

Rejected! Complete around 8/9. Green check mark around labor day weekend. My MCAT is on the lower side so Tulane was a bit of a reach for me. Good luck to everyone else!!

Rejected! Complete around 8/9. Green check mark around labor day weekend. My MCAT is on the lower side so Tulane was a bit of a reach for me. Good luck to everyone else!!

I am sorry to hear that Jenny 426. If you don't mind me asking, what was your MCAT?

Anyone have any advice for the interview?

Mainly just relax and be yourself. The majority of the day is run by students. The standardized patient part is very straightforward; just use common sense and be friendly. Not sure about everyone else's faculty interview, but mine was very laid back and lasted about 25 minutes. Just be able to answer why medicine and why you're interested specifically in Tulane. The student interview is done during lunch. They asked a few scripted questions, but it felt like they really just wanted to see if you had decent social skills and would fit in well at Tulane. I really enjoyed the day, and I hope you do too!

Mainly just relax and be yourself. The majority of the day is run by students. The standardized patient part is very straightforward; just use common sense and be friendly. Not sure about everyone else's faculty interview, but mine was very laid back and lasted about 25 minutes. Just be able to answer why medicine and why you're interested specifically in Tulane. The student interview is done during lunch. They asked a few scripted questions, but it felt like they really just wanted to see if you had decent social skills and would fit in well at Tulane. I really enjoyed the day, and I hope you do too!

Was there a pre interview social day before? lol....i'm arriving two days earlier and will have nothing to do a day prior to my interview :( lol

Anyone have any advice for the interview?

When do you interview?

Was there a pre interview social day before? lol....i'm arriving two days earlier and will have nothing to do a day prior to my interview :( lol

Umm good question.. not really sure. I'm from Louisiana, so I didn't really make a trip out of it. Just got a hotel right outside of Nola the night before then drive home after the interview. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. But I can assure you that there are a million things to do while you're there