2017-2018 Tulane University Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Complete since July 23, no reject, waitlist or II. :(

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still no green check mark... submitted my secondary at the beginning of August but wasn't complete until 9/8 because of super slow letter writers. It's scary that Tulane's already into January interview dates.

Rejected. Complete early August but second MCAT didn't come in until 8/28.

Still no green check mark... submitted my secondary at the beginning of August but wasn't complete until 9/8 because of super slow letter writers. It's scary that Tulane's already into January interview dates.

already into March dates*

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People that have interviewed recently...were you given a timeline on when you could expect a decision?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone gotten in here with zero to very little research experience?

I hope so. Interviewing in a few weeks and I have exactly zero research hours

I ask bc everyone in my interview cohort was asked about research, including me. And I have like 2 months of research experience (which IMHO is worse than having zero hahaha). I always thought Tulane cared less about research that's why I'm surprised/curious.

Last edited:
Wondering if I need to send something like a letter of interest in the next week or so before they start handing out decisions...is that a thing other people have been doing?

Congrats! I heard back with an EDP acceptance yesterday too. Looks like you, sophist44, and I will be classmates! I might have to make a FB if there’s going to be a group...let me know if you find/make one.

To everyone waiting: Best of luck and keep pressing onward.
I was accepted EDP too! Congratulations to everyone. Let me know if you guys are connecting somehow. It would definitely be nice to start out the 2018-2019 school year with a few friends :)

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Best wishes to everyone waiting to hear back!

I was accepted EDP too! Congratulations to everyone. Let me know if you guys are connecting somehow. It would definitely be nice to start out the 2018-2019 school year with a few friends :)

Haven't heard about anything. If anyone starts a FB page, let us know!

Best of luck to everyone and especially those of you who interviewed 9/15 with me. You guys were a cool group for sure.

Reactions: 1 users
How much time should I buffer for to get to the airport after the interview?

How much time should I buffer for to get to the airport after the interview?

You don’t need much actually. Get to the airport 1 hour before your boarding time and you should be good

Someone should call and ask when they'll release decisions :)

Reactions: 5 users
I just called and they said sometime this week! (Doesn't help THAT much, but it helps!) Also, they were extremely nice about this, which I give them lots of credit for. I've talked to other schools before that sounded annoyed by these kinds of questions.

I just called and they said sometime this week! (Doesn't help THAT much, but it helps!) Also, they were extremely nice about this, which I give them lots of credit for. I've talked to other schools before that sounded annoyed by these kinds of questions.

Ah you're awesome!! I wish I could get my hopes up but I interviewed 10/6 so I probably won't hear back for another week or so

Ah you're awesome!! I wish I could get my hopes up but I interviewed 10/6 so I probably won't hear back for another week or so

HA! Same, 9/28 ain't that much earlier than you. For some reason I'm thinking they'll be released Friday.... Only because a few years ago, (2014-2015) the same thing happened. They didn't release decisions for a few days after 10/15, and decisions were released that Friday. But this is heavy speculation.

HA! Same, 9/28 ain't that much earlier than you. For some reason I'm thinking they'll be released Friday.... Only because a few years ago, (2014-2015) the same thing happened. They didn't release decisions for a few days after 10/15, and decisions were released that Friday. But this is heavy speculation.

At least now we know sometime this week! I hope we hear back sooner rather than later :)

For the underrepresented in medicine question, should you mention you're gay if you haven't been involved in the LGBT community. I'm thinking of leaving that out because I can't really expand upon that with any activities or actions.

For the underrepresented in medicine question, should you mention you're gay if you haven't been involved in the LGBT community. I'm thinking of leaving that out because I can't really expand upon that with any activities or actions.
Unless it is a huge part of your story and you can't have a coherent narrative without it, I would say leave it out. The world has been so much more accepting of the LGBT community in the last decade or two (compared to the past), but some still harbor internal prejudices unfortunately. I would hate for you to get passed over just because some old timer has some internal stuff they need to get over. On the other end, someone from the LGBT community might get offended if they get a sense that you're just using that to get in. Just not worth the chance of either scenario imo. Save it for after you get accepted if you can. There are some schools that explicitly encourage LGBT to apply in their secondary. So it is probably alright there. Can't remember if Tulane was one of them. Just my opinion based on what I've read in books/heard on pre-med podcasts. Best of luck to you!

Unless it is a huge part of your story and you can't have a coherent narrative without it, I would say leave it out. The world has been so much more accepting of the LGBT community in the last decade or two (compared to the past), but some still harbor internal prejudices unfortunately. I would hate for you to get passed over just because some old timer has some internal stuff they need to get over. On the other end, someone from the LGBT community might get offended if they get a sense that you're just using that to get in. Just not worth the chance of either scenario imo. Save it for after you get accepted if you can. There are some schools that explicitly encourage LGBT to apply in their secondary. So it is probably alright there. Can't remember if Tulane was one of them. Just my opinion based on what I've read in books/heard on pre-med podcasts. Best of luck to you!

Gotta say, I think you should mention it if you want! I visited here and they seem to be actively trying to increase diversity in all forms. There's an LGBTQ student group, and the multicultural center is new, but driven. I don't imagine that you would be discriminated against by Tulane admissions. On the contrary, I think it could be helpful. Of course, if you don't think its important to your identity, leave it out if you wish. But I don't think you should omit something you might otherwise mention for fear of unfair treatment, at least at Tulane. They just want to know who you are and what makes you you!

Reactions: 3 users
im gonna assume we're not going to hear back until next week :(

im gonna assume we're not going to hear back until next week :(

Hm... when I called yesterday they said we would hear back this week. If you wanna call again to make sure, I think we would all benefit from it. They were very nice about it

Hm... when I called yesterday they said we would hear back this week. If you wanna call again to make sure, I think we would all benefit from it. They were very nice about it
when did you interview?