2017-2018 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted today, interviewed 1/25. I'm so sad, even though I know this isn't a rejection, I just thought my interview was flawless and I built it up in my head...

When I toured the school two students told me they were both waitlisted and that if I were to be, I shouldn't worry because there is a lot of movement on the waitlist. Is that true? Should I not worry?

So many classmates of mine came from the waitlist. Several of my friends also interviewed at the last interview date and are now here, so don’t stress too much about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Interview invite for 3/7. Highly debating on going tbh. Does anyone know what the rotations are like? I heard UNE doesn't have set sites so students are all over the place for their different rotations.

Also, is there a way to see what hospitals students are matching at? I saw the pie chart on their website but it's not as specific as other school's.

So we spend 3rd year at a UNECOM affiliated hospital. Those sites are all over New England. However, we spend the entire year in that one location. 4th year is your time to go do audition rotations in whatever field you want to go into, so you mainly set up your rotations yourself with help from the school.

I think I may have a document of the match list from last year. Let me see if I can find it. Though I will say, we have several matches in pretty competitive specialties so far this year through the AOA and military match. I expect the ACGME match to go pretty well too with the people I know going through it.

Edit: Posted the 2017 Match List with hospitals.

Attachments

• PGY1 2017.pdf
    329.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
wait guys, i'm looking at the schedule 2018/2019 Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Academic Calendar | University Registrar's Office | University of New England in Maine, Tangier and Online - do we get any type of summer between year 1 and 2? cuz it looks like the term ends june 28th and starts back up july 2nd?

Classes will end on mid-May and start again in early July. So around 6 weeks of break. The calendar is framed that way for financial aid eligibility, I think to demonstrate a full year of school.

Reactions: 1 user
Interview invite for 3/7. Highly debating on going tbh. Does anyone know what the rotations are like? I heard UNE doesn't have set sites so students are all over the place for their different rotations.

Also, is there a way to see what hospitals students are matching at? I saw the pie chart on their website but it's not as specific as other school's.

From what I hear rotations are probably one of the weakest aspects.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven’t heard that? Why do you say this?

They’re just not that great overall? Google 4th year UNECOM student doctor network, a recent grad wrote a loooooooooooong post on all the ins and outs.

They’re just not that great overall? Google 4th year UNECOM student doctor network, a recent grad wrote a loooooooooooong post on all the ins and outs.

It’s difficult to take one students opinion as fact for everyone or the school overall. But that is also just my opinion.

Edit: It’s always good to have information like that to read of course but should also be takin with a grain of salt. I’ve seen many posts on different school threads complaining about similar topics, like how your succes is up to you or disorganized faculty lol or having to organize your own sites. However, The student also says very positive things that counter most of the negatives as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Accepted student here. I was accepted at KCU, PCOM-GA, ARCOM, and I had 2 other interviews that I turned down. It was a difficult choice between KCU and UNE, but ultimately I just really loved the area that the school was in and could imagine myself living there. I am also married so I had to take my husband's preferences into account, and Maine was a better area for him. KCU not so much, even though it was really hard turning down such a good school. Luckily UNE is awesome too!

You made the right call. I interviewed there, Nice campus and fun town, but you couldn’t pay me to attend that school.

does anyone know when waitlist movement typically starts?

does anyone know when waitlist movement typically starts?

well according to the previous threads it started sometime in Jan/Feb. but every year is different.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all a little late to the game adding stuff here, II 1/25 and I was waitlisted the same time as others, guess we were a strong group

does UNECOM have a pbl curriculum?

They have a "cbl" (case based learning) which I feel is pretty similar!

Interviewed 2/8, just got the waitlist email...

Hey all a little late to the game adding stuff here, II 1/25 and I was waitlisted the same time as others, guess we were a strong group

They have a "cbl" (case based learning) which I feel is pretty similar!
i kind of get the idea of that but can you elaborate on it or provide with a link with more info please?

i kind of get the idea of that but can you elaborate on it or provide with a link with more info please?

We have a group of 5 other students that we work with all year. We will take test and quizzes with them as well as cbl activities. What this comes down to is we have a 2 hour session each week where we are given a case relevant to what we are learning that week. We then have to put terms together, both basic science and clinical to map out the physiology, treatment and symptoms all back to the patient.

Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Interviewed 2/8, just got the waitlist email...

Same interview day, also waitlisted today. You can agree or disagree with this sentiment based on your own perspective, but from the text I read in the letter, it seemed like they were out of acceptance spots when they interviewed us (or at least were out of spots by the time they got to making decisions about our day), and for us it was always waitlist or rejection. So if that's true (and it may not be), at least that's some cause for encouragement?

"UNE COM operates on a rolling admissions basis. We have now transitioned to our waitlist period for the entering class of 2018 and are offering you a spot on our waitlist."

This isn't a good or bad thing (if true) - I'm not dissing them for this - but just trying to make sense of some peculiar language.

We have a group of 5 other students that we work with all year. We will take test and quizzes with them as well as cbl activities. What this comes down to is we have a 2 hour session each week where we are given a relevant to what we are learning that week. We then have to put terms together, both basic science and clinical to map out the physiology, treatment and symptoms all back to the patient.

Does that make sense?
So are you presented with a didactive lecture? Followed by a case and then tieing evetything together to solve the case study?

So are you presented with a didactive lecture? Followed by a case and then tieing evetything together to solve the case study?

Oh yes. We are given learning objectives that we need to learn from lectures and assigned resources. That’s the information we use to complete the maps. We are given the complete case: HPI, ROS, exams, labs, assessment and plan.

The cases are used to integrate the material together.

Oh yes. We are given learning objectives that we need to learn from lectures and assigned resources. That’s the information we use to complete the maps. We are given the complete case: HPI, ROS, exams, labs, assessment and plan.

The cases are used to integrate the material together.

Ohh okay. Thank you so much!

Same interview day, also waitlisted today. You can agree or disagree with this sentiment based on your own perspective, but from the text I read in the letter, it seemed like they were out of acceptance spots when they interviewed us (or at least were out of spots by the time they got to making decisions about our day), and for us it was always waitlist or rejection. So if that's true (and it may not be), at least that's some cause for encouragement?

"UNE COM operates on a rolling admissions basis. We have now transitioned to our waitlist period for the entering class of 2018 and are offering you a spot on our waitlist."

This isn't a good or bad thing (if true) - I'm not dissing them for this - but just trying to make sense of some peculiar language.
Yeah, I got that as well. I was happy to at least make it in the waitlist, but it’s hard to say whether they’re even sending our rejections at this point!

Sorry if these questions have already been answered here... but I've gathered that people tend to live all over. Where do people find roommates though? It seems like most of the options are houses that would be shared with a couple other people.

Hi all, I know this is going to be a stupid question but how are the exam questions in medical school, are they like same style as on the MCAT? Or they are a lot more straight forward? just curious...

Sorry if these questions have already been answered here... but I've gathered that people tend to live all over. Where do people find roommates though? It seems like most of the options are houses that would be shared with a couple other people.
on the class of 2021 FB page i think

Hi all, I know this is going to be a stupid question but how are the exam questions in medical school, are they like same style as on the MCAT? Or they are a lot more straight forward? just curious...

I find them a lot more straightforward. You're tested on the things you need to learn for that period of time. Clinical questions may be presented as cases but often they breakdown the case into multiple, more discrete questions. Sometimes you might be given a case but it turns out you only needed to read the last sentence. The professors make up the questions so each professor will have their own style of questions that you'll probably pick up on.

Overall a lot better imo.

Canceled my upcoming interview. Hopefully one of you gets it.

Also, if you come out for Osteoblast you can meet potential classmates there. I think last year they had a 'roommate mixer' at it so potentially that could happen again

I find them a lot more straightforward. You're tested on the things you need to learn for that period of time. Clinical questions may be presented as cases but often they breakdown the case into multiple, more discrete questions. Sometimes you might be given a case but it turns out you only needed to read the last sentence. The professors make up the questions so each professor will have their own style of questions that you'll probably pick up on.

Overall a lot better imo.

AT UNECOM do the students have tutoring support like peer tutoring? What about like practice questions? Im starting July 2nd, im a little anxious starting medical school. In my undegrand i came out with 3.76 Sci GPA and 504 MCAT.... hopefully i can do the same in med school or better.

AT UNECOM do the students have tutoring support like peer tutoring? What about like practice questions? Im starting July 2nd, im a little anxious starting medical school. In my undegrand i came out with 3.76 Sci GPA and 504 MCAT.... hopefully i can do the same in med school or better.

We do have tutoring services led by 2nd years who already gone through virtually the same material with the same professors as you will. Being assigned to CBL and Donor groups also starts you off with a study group if that's helpful for you. No practice questions unfortunately, the school likes to hold questions close to their chest, I think to prevent cheating. We sometimes get some if we have to do calculations. But there are also plenty of other resources like board review books and the internet.

1st year will be hard, no surprises there. It's great if you get 100%, but it's also great if you just pass, no one will think less of you. The scores are really only a self-assessment of how you are doing, so you can 'compete' against yourself as opposed to others. They play no role in determining your rotations (they are basically random), and a very small part in determining residencies. Figure out your expectations, do your best to meet them, and see how you can improve. Doesn't make much sense wiping yourself out trying to do more than that. I understand the feeling of disappointment and anxiety, we all kinda feel that way in the beginning, but we all manage to adjust and learn what is important to us, and I feel you and your classmates will undergo the same process. Probability says that you will do just fine in the end :) Hope that helps.

So this is totally random but I finally paid the full deposit and it’s starting to sink in that this is actually happening! Ugh so excited and can’t wait to meet everyone in a few months! :soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
For those that are waitlisted: Have you sent your letter of intent already?
I want to send a letter of intent because UNE is my top choice, but idk if I should do it right away (it’s been two weeks already...) or wait a little more.

Just withdrew my acceptance. I loved UNE, but I was accepted to my state school, which is a great fit for me (and I don't have to move!). Good luck, waitlisters!

About the same - just withdrew my waitlist spot after getting accepted to my #2 program and a really great interview at my #1 program. UNE is amazing, but other schools just happened to be better fits for me personally. I sincerely hope this frees up space for someone else on the waitlist to get an acceptance!

Reactions: 5 users
Waitlisted 2/26. Interviewed 2/6. Sad because I thought it went well

Waitlisted 2/26. Interviewed 2/6. Sad because I thought it went well

I wouldn't take it personally - I'm sure it did go well! It's looking like they filled their class months ago and those who have interviewed after that point were rejected or waitlisted. Don't give up!

Anyone heard of waitlist movement so far??

Does any one know if UNECOM drug test prior to marticulation?

Would any current UNE student kind of outline the benefits of going to Osteoblast and what happens during the day? It's a pretty expensive flight out to Maine, so I'm considering if it's worth it to go!

Would any current UNE student kind of outline the benefits of going to Osteoblast and what happens during the day? It's a pretty expensive flight out to Maine, so I'm considering if it's worth it to go!

If you're undecided and UNE is one of your top choices, Osteoblast is a great way to help solidify your final decision. If you're virtually 100% set with UNE, then don't feel obliged to go if you don't want to.

You'll be hearing an overview of the school, the curriculum more in depth, some very basic demonstrations of OMM and Cmapping, meet some of your future 2nd years, meet some of your potential future classmates, and look at clubs and orgs. You probably won't be crossing out to-dos in regards to officially registering, financial aid or anything like that. You could spend the day looking at places to live, and/or find roommates.

But objectively, it's purely optional, you won't be dinged in anyway, and you should go if you have things you need to accomplish with an in-person visit.

If you're undecided and UNE is one of your top choices, Osteoblast is a great way to help solidify your final decision. If you're virtually 100% set with UNE, then don't feel obliged to go if you don't want to.

You'll be hearing an overview of the school, the curriculum more in depth, some very basic demonstrations of OMM and Cmapping, meet some of your future 2nd years, meet some of your potential future classmates, and look at clubs and orgs. You probably won't be crossing out to-dos in regards to officially registering, financial aid or anything like that. You could spend the day looking at places to live, and/or find roommates.

But objectively, it's purely optional, you won't be dinged in anyway, and you should go if you have things you need to accomplish with an in-person visit.

Thank you so much!

waitlisted back in Dec, have not heard anything as of yet.. but still holding on to hope!

Reactions: 4 users
What is the dress code for the OMM lab?

Generally workout clothing. When you do lower extremity shorts (if you forget you get to wear the paper shorts of shame) other than that, its pretty much just your standard athletic wear that you can move in easily. Its really low key, we aren't one of those schools that require girls to be in sports bras and shorts. Occasionally in small group and exams they'll ask you to put on a hospital gown to practice cardiac, respiratory and abdominal exams.

Is anyone aware of any waitlist movement yet?
Because this waiting game has been driving me nuts, I looked around on threads from previous application cycles and it looks like most movement is April-June. Makes sense since the end of April is when you have to choose which medical school you will enroll in if you hold multiple acceptances (at least for MD schools, but I'm sure DO schools have a similar deadline).

What kind of matches did students get this year?!