2017-2018 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you're from SoCal you have access to an REI. I highly recommend purchasing silk long underwear from them. They won't show up under things and they're super warm. I got them before going to New Zealand to watch penguins and I survived and I wear them all the time here. If you're a girl and plan on wearing a suit skirt get some fleece lined tights. They are the best things ever! Mostly just go to REI and wander through the snow stuff and just find things that you can wear under things. If you have a nice wool coat those are great and look super nice and will be plenty warm if you add another jacket layer underneath. Layers will be your best friend.
Ok thank you so much!!! Would you just recommend boots and then changing into nice flats? I don't think I want to risk wearing heels and slipping haha but then what the heck would I do with the boots, I don't want to just keep them awkwardly to the side...I am so sorry I am clueless on cold weather!

Ok thank you so much!!! Would you just recommend boots and then changing into nice flats? I don't think I want to risk wearing heels and slipping haha but then what the heck would I do with the boots, I don't want to just keep them awkwardly to the side...I am so sorry I am clueless on cold weather!
I’m from AZ...I wore heel boots but they were very tiny. Your feet will hurt a little during the tour but if they’re small heels it’s fine. I’m super short though so I found it was a good way to keep my feet warm and look good haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m from AZ...I wore heel boots but they were very tiny. Your feet will hurt a little during the tour but if they’re small heels it’s fine. I’m super short though so I found it was a good way to keep my feet warm and look good haha.
Oh yes!! I was thinking about that but I wasn't sure if it would look bad since mine are just below the knee....I will need to look for some not so risky ones, thanks!

I would wear boots and change into flats. You have tables to hang out at and you can leave stuff there. You won't be the only one with boots or coats or stuff to store. I would not recommend heels in the winter here unless you know there won't be new snow within a few days of your arrival.

Reactions: 1 user
Do classes really start on July 2? I thought I read somewhere that the dates listed online are just for office use only.

2018/2019 Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Academic Calendar | University Registrar's Office | University of New England in Maine, Tangier and Online
Yes it does. We are starting earlier so that we finish classes in Mid April so that we have dedicated boards study time. With the current schedule, we finish the 3rd week of May and have to take boards by June 9th to start rotations on July 1 for 3rd year. This will give us a full 6 weeks of dedicated study time!

Reactions: 2 users
Do classes really start on July 2? I thought I read somewhere that the dates listed online are just for office use only.

2018/2019 Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Academic Calendar | University Registrar's Office | University of New England in Maine, Tangier and Online

Yes it does. We are starting earlier so that we finish classes in Mid April so that we have dedicated boards study time. With the current schedule, we finish the 3rd week of May and have to take boards by June 9th to start rotations on July 1 for 3rd year. This will give us a full 6 weeks of dedicated study time!

The immediate consequence for 1st years is more time to cover material, as both professors and students complain that the classes feel a bit rushed, and a bigger buffer for snow/power outage days, which we had 3 already. Note that you'll only have about 5 weeks of break (starting in mid-May) and you'll have a take-home assignment of practice board questions to do over the summer. So it doesn't leave a lot of time for bigger summer projects like research.

Just for a general questions, are macs or PC better for the university?

Just for a general questions, are macs or PC better for the university?

Honestly they each come with their own problems. The program we use for exams seems to take an equal opportunity to crash both Macs and PCs as it sees fit. Talking to our IT person (the last 2 exams have really angered my computer) it sounds like each type of computer have a different error with the program. Honestly it is what you feel most comfortable using. I can't use a Mac to save my life so I will continue to use PC but I know 3 people in my CBL have Macs and are perfectly happy with those. Stick with your preference.

Waitlisted, interviewed 12/6
Me too!! Were you AM or PM session? I thought it went well but ultimately was waitlisted. I read on another thread that they fill their class by November and everyone that's interviewed afterward is either rejected or waitlisted, BUT that they take a lot from the waitlist. Not sure the accuracy on this but it seems to make sense given other things I've heard. Anyway, best of luck!

Me too!! Were you AM or PM session? I thought it went well but ultimately was waitlisted. I read on another thread that they fill their class by November and everyone that's interviewed afterward is either rejected or waitlisted, BUT that they take a lot from the waitlist. Not sure the accuracy on this but it seems to make sense given other things I've heard. Anyway, best of luck!

It was last year and the year before, not the case this cycle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Tough decision but I will be giving up my interview spot here! Hoping it goes to one of you!!

Reactions: 1 users
Do any of you have recommendations as to where to stay for your interview? Also how reliable/ expensive to the transportation ( i.e taxi) ? Should I rent a car? I am flying in from from far and landing in Portland. Thanks !

I was PM! And I heard there’s a lot of waitlist movement, especially for earlier interview people

Do any of you have recommendations as to where to stay for your interview? Also how reliable/ expensive to the transportation ( i.e taxi) ? Should I rent a car? I am flying in from from far and landing in Portland. Thanks !
One of the hotels on the list provided by the school offers a shuttle that can get you to/from the medical school for your interview. But you do have to let them know a day in advance about your ride needs.

I highly recommend the hotel in Saco that offers the free shuttle to UNE. I forgot the name, but I stayed there and it was good, decent bfast too. Give them a heads up on when you want the shuttle, when you check in.

paid my first deposit today! still between here and another school but leaning more towards une. q though- did anyone ever figure out what the deal is with the mandatory attendance second year?

I stayed at Ramada Saco/Old Orchard beach last cycle and this cycle. Last time they had a shuttle, but I believe they are under new management and no longer offer it (when I asked about it they looked at me like I was crazy, and when I insisted they had it in the past they looked like I was speaking jibberish). They also doubled the room rate.

The school is about 30 minutes away from Portland airport. I didn't use uber while there, but unless it's a big city I don't put too much faith in those services personally. I know people in my interview group used it, but many had to wait for them to arrive . Usually 30 minute ubers are $40-50, and renting a car is about ~$80 if you're under 25. It's usually the same if not more to rely on uber for this stuff in my experience. Might as well give yourself freedom to go and explore on your own by renting a car. Easy to drive in Maine.

Last edited:
paid my first deposit today! still between here and another school but leaning more towards une. q though- did anyone ever figure out what the deal is with the mandatory attendance second year?

We will be starting to have that conversation with the 2nd year faculty soon.

Aaah, I'm in the same boat! I am between this school and another school and have to put down a deposit ASAP. The hard part is that I feel like EVERY medical school is a good school. Yet I keep trying to determine whether one school is better than the other. As an URM, I did feel the diversity at UNECOM, which is definitely something that I am looking for in a school.

Good luck! I wish the D.O. School deposits were refundable and smaller, the way the M.D. school deposits are.

Honestly they each come with their own problems. The program we use for exams seems to take an equal opportunity to crash both Macs and PCs as it sees fit. Talking to our IT person (the last 2 exams have really angered my computer) it sounds like each type of computer have a different error with the program. Honestly it is what you feel most comfortable using. I can't use a Mac to save my life so I will continue to use PC but I know 3 people in my CBL have Macs and are perfectly happy with those. Stick with your preference.

As a fellow first year and at a table of about half PC/ half Mac use... the Mac's handle our exam software a bit better - they load it faster upon opening but after that it's about the same so go with preference honestly!

Whoops meant to quote the original poster... my bad.

Aaah, I'm in the same boat! I am between this school and another school and have to put down a deposit ASAP. The hard part is that I feel like EVERY medical school is a good school. Yet I keep trying to determine whether one school is better than the other. As an URM, I did feel the diversity at UNECOM, which is definitely something that I am looking for in a school.

Good luck! I wish the D.O. School deposits were refundable and smaller, the way the M.D. school deposits are.
I am concerned about the diversity at UNECOM. What kind of diversity did you see there?

After a painful amount of dwelling, I decided to withdraw my acceptance. I hope it goes to one of you lovely people :)

Reactions: 4 users
I am concerned about the diversity at UNECOM. What kind of diversity did you see there?
I saw a diverse mixture of students, faculty and interviewers (on my panel, at least). It was not like that at the other COM that I was accepted to (and declined this past week). When I interviewed at that other COM, I only saw one minority (total) all day. It was a student who was just passing thru the area where the interviewees were sitting.

However, this is definitely something that I am concerned about with a handful of schools. And I did look at the demographics for UNECOM and Biddeford. It does concern me that they are not great.

Last edited:

It’s Maine. There are a lot of white people in Maine.

As a fellow first year and at a table of about half PC/ half Mac use... the Mac's handle our exam software a bit better - they load it faster upon opening but after that it's about the same so go with preference honestly!

Whoops meant to quote the original poster... my bad.

I would say that yes MACs load faster (my group is 50/50 split as well) however, in talking with our lovely IT person she has been saying that each new update causes problems in a different group of computer. This last one hit Lenovo and Toshiba computers (I have a Toshiba so I am intimately aware with this issue, I basically live in her office now) but she's thinking the next one will cause problems for MACs so use whatever you want. The reality is that the exam software has issues, but they know that and they're willing to work with it as long as your computer is relatively new.

Although I think this is a fantastic school (and in a beautiful location), I declined my acceptance today. I will be attending a school that is closer to home for me.

Good luck and best wishes!

I just got an email that the semester starts at the end of JUNE.... and we start class July 2. What...the...heck

I just got an email that the semester starts at the end of JUNE.... and we start class July 2. What...the...heck
Yep. It is so that we get more time dedicated to Boards study in 2nd year. Classes will end mid April.

Do incoming students get an iPad or computer?

Is there a lot of competition for the clinical sites? Particularly in Rhode Island?

Is there a lot of competition for the clinical sites? Particularly in Rhode Island?

That question can’t really be answered as the sites and preferences change from year to year. That being said, the assignment process is usually done by a committee of people and they do their best to give everyone their top choices.

Guys, should we be bringing anything to the interview? Like copies of our resumes or other works? It's open file so I don't see the point of doing so, but I wanted to double check with you guys.

Guys, should we be bringing anything to the interview? Like copies of our resumes or other works? It's open file so I don't see the point of doing so, but I wanted to double check with you guys.
No need.

II this morning. Complete 1/12/18.

Last edited:
Hi folks!
Completed my secondary back in Oct, got invitation for interview today for the 20th of Feb Tuesday
I am international student btw