2017-2018 Virginia Tech Carilion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please respond to the following two required essay prompts (A and B) below: Your response for each should be a minimum of 400 words.

A. VTC's curriculum fosters a culture of compassion through its community service learning initiatives. Through their inter-professional learning group projects (IPL), students demonstrate leadership and innovation while making a positive difference in the community. Describe an event or a time when your personal contribution was instrumental to the success of a team or made a positive impact on someone else's life.

B. Each member of the VTC community has a unique and enriching life-story. Interactions with heterogeneous populations increase compassion, understanding, and the ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with others. Explain how your life experience has shaped your world view, describe your approach to people who see the world differently, and relate how you would enrich the VTC community.

C. What, in your opinion, makes VTC different, and why is that important to you?

"Just want to add, all three prompts are required even though it only says A and B. When I saved one of my essays, the page said that it was incomplete until all three prompts were answered."

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
The MSAR states that the secondary application can be submitted on June 05, 2017. I'm assuming this is a typo?

Received email confirmation of application:
"Your AMCAS application for the 2018 entering class has arrived at the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine. We will make a decision about whether or not to invite you to submit an online secondary application as quickly as we are able."

Members don't see this ad :)
Received email confirmation of application:
"Your AMCAS application for the 2018 entering class has arrived at the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine. We will make a decision about whether or not to invite you to submit an online secondary application as quickly as we are able."
+1

Congratulations from VTCSOM!

Our Admissions team has reviewed your primary AMCAS application and we are delighted to invite you to complete our online secondary application.

We have done a preliminary review of your academic record and standardized test scores and believe that you may be a competitive candidate. We hope that you will take the time to complete and submit our online secondary application. Our deadline for secondary application submission for this application cycle is January 1, 2018, but we encourage you to complete it at your earliest convenience. We use a rolling admissions cycle.

received today at 1:53 PM..

Congratulations from VTCSOM!

Our Admissions team has reviewed your primary AMCAS application and we are delighted to invite you to complete our online secondary application.

We have done a preliminary review of your academic record and standardized test scores and believe that you may be a competitive candidate. We hope that you will take the time to complete and submit our online secondary application. Our deadline for secondary application submission for this application cycle is January 1, 2018, but we encourage you to complete it at your earliest convenience. We use a rolling admissions cycle.

received today at 1:53 PM..
+1

Please respond to the following two required essay prompts (A and B) below: Your response for each should be a minimum of 400 words.

A. VTC's curriculum fosters a culture of compassion through its community service learning initiatives. Through their inter-professional learning group projects (IPL), students demonstrate leadership and innovation while making a positive difference in the community. Describe an event or a time when your personal contribution was instrumental to the success of a team or made a positive impact on someone else's life.

B. Each member of the VTC community has a unique and enriching life-story. Interactions with heterogeneous populations increase compassion, understanding, and the ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with others. Explain how your life experience has shaped your world view, describe your approach to people who see the world differently, and relate how you would enrich the VTC community.

C. What, in your opinion, makes VTC different, and why is that important to you?

@gyngyn

Reactions: 1 users

@gyngyn
Just want to add, all three prompts are required even though it only says A and B. When I saved one of my essays, the page said that it was incomplete until all three prompts were answered.

Reactions: 1 user
Just want to add, all three prompts are required even though it only says A and B. When I saved one of my essays, the page said that it was incomplete until all three prompts were answered.

Yeah I noticed that typo. The first "Welcome" page states to answer all three prompts, but the "Essay" page itself doesn't. Not super clear haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else not used to having a minimum of 400 word requirement and feel like they're blabbing on and on and being wordy as hell? I personally feel like my secondaries read like a story but I'm used to 1000 character limits and these honestly just looks like mini personal statements...

Oh the joys of the application process :love:

Anyone else not used to having a minimum of 400 word requirement and feel like they're blabbing on and on and being wordy as hell? I personally feel like my secondaries read like a story but I'm used to 1000 character limits and these honestly just looks like mini personal statements...

Mine were ~200-300 words a piece.

Anyone else unable to login with the password the gave you and your AMCAS ID?

Anyone else unable to login with the password the gave you and your AMCAS ID?

I'm able to access it just fine, at least I was 30 minutes ago. You might want to re-try with a different browser, make sure you're copy/pasting everything correctly.

Secondary received July 1st. OOS.
Stats:
LizzyM 62.80
uGPA 3.3
gGPA 3.9
MCAT 30

"Just want to add, all three prompts are required even though it only says A and B. When I saved one of my essays, the page said that it was incomplete until all three prompts were answered."

Good luck to everyone applying!
Thanks!

Last edited:

Seriously! I just finished up the first and third prompts this morning and they're practically two mini PSs. I'm not excited about the second question :eek:

Does anyone know what the screen is?

"Candidates need a current (within the last two years) MCAT with a combined score of 27 or above (on the old exam) or a 503 or above (on the new MCAT 2015 exam) to be considered for a secondary application invitation.

Each application is reviewed before a decision is made on whether to invite a secondary application. Only the most academically qualified applicants who present records indicating that they would benefit most from the innovative medical curriculum at the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine will be invited to complete a secondary application."

I'm able to access it just fine, at least I was 30 minutes ago. You might want to re-try with a different browser, make sure you're copy/pasting everything correctly.
Thanks! I've tried Chrome and Firefox several times so I'm wondering if there is somehow a glitch. I'm going to try again tomorrow and if not maybe I'll have to give them a call. I finished the questions today so hopefully I can get on tomorrow to submit them

Thanks! I've tried Chrome and Firefox several times so I'm wondering if there is somehow a glitch. I'm going to try again tomorrow and if not maybe I'll have to give them a call. I finished the questions today so hopefully I can get on tomorrow to submit them
You're using your numerical AMCAS ID and not your AMCAS username, right? Just checking, since I made that mistake lol.

Just to let anyone interested know, apparently applicants with a permanent resident status were rejected for a secondary app. The school told me that they had an error with the new software, which they are trying to resolve.

Last edited:
You're using your numerical AMCAS ID and not your AMCAS username, right? Just checking, since I made that mistake lol.
Yeah I've tried both since numerical AMCAS ID wasn't working :(
But I talked to someone today who said they would work on fixing it!

Is it worth applying to this school if I don't have that much research experience? Also MCAT and GPA are nothing special so wondering if its worth spending so much time on this secondary

Hey fellow applicants, I noticed that within the application it looks as though we have a place for a head shot next to our name. However, I cannot find a place to upload a picture of myself and every time I click on "edit profile" it logs me out. I don't see any indication that a photo of us is necessary like some other schools require, but I just wanted to be sure.

Good luck to all!

Is it worth applying to this school if I don't have that much research experience? Also MCAT and GPA are nothing special so wondering if its worth spending so much time on this secondary

From there website it seems pretty focused on research...
  • No. with considerable research experience: 36
  • No. with some research experience: 6
Class Statistics | research.vtc.vt.edu

There class is 42 students strong meaning 100% had research experiences and only 1/7 did not have a significant experience. Unless you have some other fantastic experience that really resonates with the school, then the odds look pretty grim.

Would not hurt to still try if you really serious about this school.

Just completed mine! Writing it made me kind of obsessed with this place :happy:

Hey fellow applicants, I noticed that within the application it looks as though we have a place for a head shot next to our name. However, I cannot find a place to upload a picture of myself and every time I click on "edit profile" it logs me out. I don't see any indication that a photo of us is necessary like some other schools require, but I just wanted to be sure.

Good luck to all!
Yeah same here I just didn't add one. Good luck to you too!

I am curious to know what did you guys put on the application update? I don't have much change since then, and it won't let me process without upload an update.
Do I just put down that I still continue to work at my current employer?

I just uploaded a document that said not applicable.

Did you receive an email requesting an application update?

*panic sets in because I didn't uh oh*

Shoot I just checked and there was a spot for one on the secondary form but I submitted it without an update and I actually had one :smack:

I just uploaded a document that said not applicable.
Same, don't know why. Tried multiple browsers.

EDIT: Just figured it out. They say they take word docs, but they really only take PDFs

This last essay is a tough one. 400 words on what makes VTC different? Anyone got any ideas?

This last essay is a tough one. 400 words on what makes VTC different? Anyone got any ideas?

Head to their website... check out their curriculum and mission. A lot of it has to do with their commitment to lifelong learning!

really excited for this school, hoping i get some love. Any reason for the lowish gpa / high mcat median for them?

also does anyone else have like a few schools they just wanna send 'i know this about you and like i know i'm a total fit just love me' emails to lol.

really excited for this school, hoping i get some love. Any reason for the lowish gpa / high mcat median for them?

also does anyone else have like a few schools they just wanna send 'i know this about you and like i know i'm a total fit just love me' emails to lol.

Haha I am too afraid to cross that line and send e-mails to schools that don't wanna hear from their applicants. So I'm just staying quiet :bang:

From there website it seems pretty focused on research...
  • No. with considerable research experience: 36
  • No. with some research experience: 6
Class Statistics | research.vtc.vt.edu

There class is 42 students strong meaning 100% had research experiences and only 1/7 did not have a significant experience. Unless you have some other fantastic experience that really resonates with the school, then the odds look pretty grim.

Would not hurt to still try if you really serious about this school.
I wonder what they consider to be "considerable" research

Just got an II here!! Didn't know they started this early!!! VA resident, high stats, complete early July

Just got an II here!! Didn't know they started this early!!! VA resident, high stats, complete early July

Congrats!!! How were you contacted?

JUST GOT MY FIRST II! WOO!