2017-2018 Virginia Tech Carilion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has this school sent II in the past few weeks at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
II just now! OOS, but went to VT undergrad and complete on 8/8

Reactions: 1 user
Excited but super nervous about the MMI interview this weekend! Anyone have tips for Carilion?

Also, do most people stay at the Cambria hotel close to campus?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know if they've rejected anyone yet?

Excited but super nervous about the MMI interview this weekend! Anyone have tips for Carilion?

I stayed at a much cheaper place nearby. If you're driving, I'd recommend looking beyond the Cambria if you wanna save some bucks. It's convenient if you don't have a car though, since the night-before reception is there plus it's super close to the school.

For the MMI, try to relax! Being super tense will hurt you more than whatever you may be stressing about. Just be engaged and have a real conversation with these people -- everyone's nice, no worries.

Any insight as to when VTC will start another batch of II's

Reactions: 2 users

If may ask, how was the interview? Was it stressful?

If may ask, how was the interview? Was it stressful?

Way more relaxed than expected. Definitely not stressful - as long as you're coherent and collected, it should go well! The school was one of my top 3 choices before the interview, but after the interview it's by far my number 1. They do a great job at showing you what the school is all about and highlighting the community.

Is anyone else secondary app like frozen? Mine has the black loading bar on the screen and lets me navigate along the sidebar but I cant actually click on anything in the app. I submitted it back in July and just want to use the update part but I cant even click on it

What is interview day like? If you already had an MMI, would you say their MMI is standard?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is interview day like? If you already had an MMI, would you say their MMI is standard?
The interview at VTC to me can be summed up in one sentiment: warm/friendly. They truly want you to become excited about the school and Roanoke. They make you feel extremely welcome, and provide a thousand different resources/people along the way to answer questions for you.

I interviewed at VTC and at VCU, both MMI style. Both were similar. Not too difficult, just be calm and collected, and have a conversation with the interviewers. Reveal your way of thinking. I will give you some help without giving too much away: there were definitely less ethical questions than I thought there would be.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Any IIs for people who submitted their secondary in late August??

Hey all, I'm a current VTCSOM M4. Happy to answer any and all questions you have about the school or Roanoke. I'm pretty removed from the II and adcom process, so can't answer too many specifics there unfortunately.

I'll be perfectly honest, if you don't mind smaller towns, this is an absolutely fantastic school to start your career.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, I'm a current VTCSOM M4. Happy to answer any and all questions you have about the school or Roanoke. I'm pretty removed from the II and adcom process, so can't answer too many specifics there unfortunately.

I'll be perfectly honest, if you don't mind smaller towns, this is an absolutely fantastic school to start your career.

Can you tell us why you like the school? And what cons are there?

Can you tell us why you like the school? And what cons are there?

I'll echo a little what I've shared with others. For me, the most rewarding experiences have been (1) the superb clinical training, (2) reaping all of the benefits that an incredibly small class size offers, (3) dedicated research time/infrastructure, and (4) stellar Step preparation.
  1. Roanoke Memorial Hospital is the only level 1 trauma center in SW Virginia. Consequently, it has a HUGE catchment area that encompasses not only southwest VA, but parts of NC and WV. This means you have an immense diversity of patients (who are incredibly grateful) and pathology from which to learn.
  2. The small class size (42) is great for the first two years because it helps you bond closely with your class and really forms a collaborative environment, which I think is supremely conducive for learning and being happy in medical school. It also means that you get TONS of intimate 1-on-1 time with residents, faculty, and attendings, which is just killer for learning. These people will know you by a first name basis. If you're motivated, this is a huge opportunity to get superb hands-on-training, build your network, and form relationships with mentors. For example, I'm chatting with the chair of emergency medicine and the PD of EM on a regular basis about the residency process and any other life questions I have. Awesome. There are attendings on the floor of the hospital who still keep in contact with me because they knew me so well during third year, and pre-clinical faculty who do the same. I feel like that is harder to come by at larger medical schools, but I may be biased!
  3. Research is critical to the experience here and integrated throughout all four years, with dedicated research blocks in each year. You are pushed to work on a publishable quality project(s), which is huge for the residency process. I'm not a prolific researcher by any means, but what little I have (with very little effort) has certainly given my application a one-up over others. We have a great relationship with the basic science laboratory next door which is doing tons of research in immunology, neuroscience, cancer biology, and addiction research. Solid clinical research too. The orthopedics department churns out clinical research like nobody's business, for example.
  4. We have a ton of dedicated Step 1 and Step 2 preparation time, which is likely a huge reason our class averages are significantly higher than the national average. Again, crucial for matching into your desired residency.
I think #1, #2, and even #3 are harder to come by at other medical schools and help set VTCSOM apart from the rest.

Of course every school has downsides. I alluded to one: the fact that Roanoke is a TINY city compared to the likes of Boston, NYC, LA, etc. For me, this is no problem. Roanoke has all the amenities I need and its small size is made up for with the natural beauty and splendor of the Blue Ridge mountains. COL is dirt cheap. No traffic. However, if you need all the trappings of a huge city, this may not be the place for you.

VTCSOM and the Carilion Clinic partnership is still relatively new. So, while our basic science relationship with VTCRI is incredibly strong and there is a lot of prolific basic science research underway, the clinical science side of the coin is a little weaker. Just a consequence of a new partnership between a medical school and a community hospital system (versus an academic powerhouse). Certain departments are much better than others in this regard (e.g. ortho), and even in the brief time I've been here, research gains momentum every year (I swear the most recent class is much more accomplished in research than I was!).
Obviously, I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think any of my classmates or those in the classes below me have had any seriously limiting issues finding interesting and engaging research projects that lead to abstracts, posters, or pubs.

Finally, since VTCSOM is still a very new medical school compared to others, we're not widely known. This is changing as our grads are now kicking ass in residency and building a good name for the school, but it takes time. Every year, our match list looks sharper and sharper as our reputation grows.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Last reported II was almost a month and a half ago. Wonder why.

Gotta love that email from admissions regarding their Facebook Live event.... thought I was getting a status update.

Reactions: 4 users
They are promoting their new medical school, wanting you to "like" their FB page. Don't mistake this as their having more interest in your application.
Really just a trick for them to be able to stalk you on Facebook easily.

Reactions: 3 users
Gotta love that email from admissions regarding their Facebook Live event.... thought I was getting a status update.

They saw the post above about no IIs for a month and thought "hey! Let's make them super mad!"

It's a classic ****post. Or email lol

After what happened at Vanderbilt, I trust no one.
The Vanderbilt saga was brutal. Those applied didn't hear anything, now they got emails soliciting for diversity applications. I didn't applied as the Vanderbilt and I am ORM, but I received about 12 diversity emails.

I thought i didn't get na email but I found it in my spam hahaha, I guess gmail didnt want to get my hopes up

I initially submitted my primary to VT but ended up not completing the secondary due to some finance stuff and being OOS. I got an email a few weeks ago saying they reviewed my grads and MCAT and consider my competitive so they hope I will complete the secondary. Does this signify anything? It seems like an awesome school I would love to go here; but I'd rather not spend the cash if this was just an auto email typ thing.

I initially submitted my primary to VT but ended up not completing the secondary due to some finance stuff and being OOS. I got an email a few weeks ago saying they reviewed my grads and MCAT and consider my competitive so they hope I will complete the secondary. Does this signify anything? It seems like an awesome school I would love to go here; but I'd rather not spend the cash if this was just an auto email typ thing.

At least a few schools have done something similar, as I can see from the threads. Loyola did it to me and even said I would be looked over early. So I did it the next day. Now, 2 months later I'm still waiting to hear back. I think the email simply means that, if you apply, you have as good a chance as many of their applicants. So, maybe, go for it.

They accept about (17?) OOS and it's already October, so I, personally, wouldn't do it. Now, if you're at least above the median on MSAR for both gpa and MCAT, then the secondary fee is small compared to all of these application cycle fees.

anyone hear back from VTC? It seems that it has been silent here interview wise for a while!!

Are the chances fairly high that they will be sending out decisions for August/September interviewees this week?

GOT THE ACCEPTANCE CALL!! IM GOING TO BE A DOCTOR Y'ALL

Reactions: 14 users
I got in! They called me this morning!!!! And I haven't received an email yet, they said they'll send one soon

Got an email that I'll be reviewed for the April round of acceptances. Great :bigtears:

I got an April round email as well. Is there nothing we can do but wait, or is it advised to send a letter of intent/interest later in the cycle?

Is anyone not able to sign into their admissions portal?

VTC invited me for an II today, and it is my first one this cycle. I'm so excited!

Reactions: 5 users
VTC invited me for an II today, and it is my first one this cycle. I'm so excited!
Congrats! When were you complete? And when did you get the "interested status" to II?

I was complete July 30th. Lizzie M is ~65 (3.5, 511 MCAT). I'm also low income URM, not a race/ethnicity minority.

I honestly wasn't checking the status of my application, so I'm not sure when it changed. It seemed like ~3 months of silence, and then I got the email today. They also only gave me 1 date for the interview, but IDC. I signed up right away haha.