2017-2018 Virginia Tech Carilion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just got an interview invite as well! Complete early July. lizzy m=68

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Woohoo. You going Aug 19? I'm pretty nervous for the MMI.
Yeah, it's just a high pressure interview, I think it's a way of seeing how you shine under pressure. I like the format because I think it's a bit less biased and also a way of showing you can handle yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
First II here and it's on my birthday. Don't know if that's lucky or not!

Yeah, it's just a high pressure interview, I think it's a way of seeing how you shine under pressure. I like the format because I think it's a bit less biased and also a way of showing you can handle yourself.
I'm reading some practice questions and I feel like I'd honestly blank on a few :scared:

Complete 7/2 :[ guess it's donezo for me

Chill it aint even august yet they interview for like 6 more months.

Reactions: 2 users
First II of the season!!! Re-applicant, VA resident, pretty good stats, and I studied fine arts in college, so I guess my background is nontraditional. I was complete July 10

First II of the season!!! Re-applicant, VA resident, pretty good stats, and I studied fine arts in college, so I guess my background is nontraditional. I was complete July 10
Ah congrats!!

Do those with IIs intend to go to the reception the night before?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!! And I'm honestly not sure, but I'm definitely going to the reception. I want to show as much sincere interest in the program as possible

Thank you!! And I'm honestly not sure, but I'm definitely going to the reception. I want to show as much sincere interest in the program as possible
Me too! I've heard it's pretty helpful cause current medical students are present & answer questions.

I'm super excited but also super nervous.. for a 8 hour interview?? I need to review the schedule again :nailbiting:

Me too! I've heard it's pretty helpful cause current medical students are present & answer questions.

I'm super excited but also super nervous.. for a 8 hour interview?? I need to review the schedule again :nailbiting:
Omg don't think of it as an 8-hr interview! You'll get yourself strung up in knots like that. Just relax. Be your genuine, interesting, passionate self and it'll be just fine.

Hm I'm actually thinking of not going to the reception, or maybe just popping by later in the night (though not sure how long it's supposed to go..?). Don't know that I'll make it in time/have the energy after the traveling

Omg don't think of it as an 8-hr interview! You'll get yourself strung up in knots like that. Just relax. Be your genuine, interesting, passionate self and it'll be just fine.

Hm I'm actually thinking of not going to the reception, or maybe just popping by later in the night (though not sure how long it's supposed to go..?). Don't know that I'll make it in time/have the energy after the traveling
Free lunch always helps loosen me up :p but awh, that's a bummer. I'm worried about that too (travel fatigue) for my other interviews if I get the IIs. How far are you traveling?

Have any out of state applicants received a II yet?

Free lunch always helps loosen me up :p but awh, that's a bummer. I'm worried about that too (travel fatigue) for my other interviews if I get the IIs. How far are you traveling?
Not too far at all, few hours' drive, but I mean, I'll be coming from probably a full day of work on Friday! Will just play it by ear I'm thinking.

Do they care about research and MCAT more than GPA by anyones past experiences? I am completed here as of yesterday, I have a 10-20%ile GPA for here but 75%ile MCAT (515).

My research is by far my strongest part- almost 3000hrs, 3 different labs, current lab manager for past year at top 5 hospital, 1 first author pub, 3 abstracts, 2 national one international, published book chapter, soon to be second author on submitted manuscript. Is this enough for this school? I feel like I have no shot due to low GPA since they interview so few people but I'm hopeful my research will help

I'm in the
Do they care about research and MCAT more than GPA by anyones past experiences? I am completed here as of yesterday, I have a 10-20%ile GPA for here but 75%ile MCAT (515)
I'm in the same boat. I think their gpa is sloiightly low for a research focused place so maybe we have a chance - at least better chance than other places

My research is by far my strongest part- almost 3000hrs, 3 different labs, current lab manager for past year at top 5 hospital, 1 first author pub, 3 abstracts, 2 national one international, published book chapter, soon to be second author on submitted manuscript. Is this enough for this school? I feel like I have no shot due to low GPA since they interview so few people but I'm hopeful my research will help
same

Ok, so this may seem like a silly question about the reception on Friday night, but do you think we just go by ourselves? My mom is driving up with me, and she's hinted at wanting to see as much of the school as possible...

Ok, so this may seem like a silly question about the reception on Friday night, but do you think we just go by ourselves? My mom is driving up with me, and she's hinted at wanting to see as much of the school as possible...
I was thinking about bringing my Significant other, but on second thought if they don't explicitly say it's okay, I would refrain from bringing anyone else. I didn't read anywhere that said it was encouraged, also this is about you getting into medical school, it shouldn't seem like your mom is driving you (literally and figuratively). Just my 2c

worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research (1 first author pub, 1 middle author pub incoming, working in clinical research lab for a year, 8 months of writing highlights for hepatology journal)? hoping my MCAT/research can offset my gpa. OOS from a city in NC, not western rural NC like I've seen is favored, but knowing they like research maybe I have a shot?

worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research

Go for it, why not? Can't really predict if you'll get in but I doubt they'll just cut you out completely. Plus, they screen so if you got a secondary, they must be looking past your scores to some extent.

Go for it, why not? Can't really predict if you'll get in but I doubt they'll just cut you out completely. Plus, they screen so if you got a secondary, they must be looking past your scores to some extent.
thanks!

is anyones secondary portal not working at all like page won't even load

lol I just got like 7 notifs from you posting on all my schools xD
i know im sorry- i was posting to each one so i'd get notifications when someone posts, and figured i'd try to get some insight at the same time. it didnt occur to me that everyone's notifications would blow up. someone told me about the watch thread option though so it wont happen again

Any chance with gpa 3.7 and mact 505 VA resident?

Any chance with gpa 3.7 and mact 505 VA resident?
Depends on your research. When I talked to the admissions director at their event, they very much value research experience.

Just got an interview!

Reactions: 3 users
II just now! Top-choice! Very nervous about MMI though

In-state, LizzyM 68-71

Reactions: 2 users
II this afternoon, for the mid-September date! My first one!! LizzyM 68, complete mid-July.

Anyone know about the airport/travel situation to Roanoke? I live in the Midwest

Anyone with an II for this Saturday freaking out? I can't handle my nerves preparing for my first interview/MMI.

Roanoke has an airport which isn't that difficult to get to, although it will be kind of expensive.

Depends on where you're flying from/what you consider expensive. Flying into ROA is probably your best bet though. Unless you feel like landing in raleigh or charlotte and driving.

Good luck everyone!!! You can literally google practice MMI questions and just try to talk through them yourself and anticipate some follow up questions.

I was really hyped about this school, but they do not seem as hype about me right now. Hopefully I can be a part of a group later in the cycle!

I just submitted this secondary tonight (8/15) am I considered 'late' now to the point that it would hurt my chances?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What is everyone thinking of wearing to the reception tonight? I thought I read in one of the emails/in the info "business casual" but now I can't find that phrase anywhere.

What is everyone thinking of wearing to the reception tonight? I thought I read in one of the emails/in the info "business casual" but now I can't find that phrase anywhere.
I'm wearing a nice blouse with nice flats. I think guys should wear a polo or button-down with khakis or something.
Hopefully that's not too far off the mark!

For "VTC's curriculum fosters a culture of compassion through its community service learning initiatives. Through their inter-professional learning group projects (IPL), students demonstrate leadership and innovation while making a positive difference in the community. Describe an event or a time when your personal contribution was instrumental to the success of a team or made a positive impact on someone else's life.", could I copy and paste what I did as part of my research group one semester? It has background on the topic and what I learned from it. I'm not sure if that would answer the question. My other 2 essays show more of my humanity, but I wanted to vomit here that I took part in research and show I can talk about it.