You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Virginia Tech Carilion
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
just got an interview invite as well! Complete early July. lizzy m=68
Woohoo. You going Aug 19? I'm pretty nervous for the MMI.
Yeah, it's just a high pressure interview, I think it's a way of seeing how you shine under pressure. I like the format because I think it's a bit less biased and also a way of showing you can handle yourself.Woohoo. You going Aug 19? I'm pretty nervous for the MMI.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm reading some practice questions and I feel like I'd honestly blank on a fewYeah, it's just a high pressure interview, I think it's a way of seeing how you shine under pressure. I like the format because I think it's a bit less biased and also a way of showing you can handle yourself.

First II here and it's on my birthday. Don't know if that's lucky or not!
Congrats! When were you guys complete?
7/7Congrats! When were you guys complete?
Congrats you guys!
7/11 praying here
7/11 praying here
I was complete 7/6 so im thinking the same thing too :/Complete 7/2 :[ guess it's donezo for me
Ah congrats!!First II of the season!!! Re-applicant, VA resident, pretty good stats, and I studied fine arts in college, so I guess my background is nontraditional. I was complete July 10
Do those with IIs intend to go to the reception the night before?
Me too! I've heard it's pretty helpful cause current medical students are present & answer questions.Thank you!! And I'm honestly not sure, but I'm definitely going to the reception. I want to show as much sincere interest in the program as possible
I'm super excited but also super nervous.. for a 8 hour interview?? I need to review the schedule again
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Omg don't think of it as an 8-hr interview! You'll get yourself strung up in knots like that. Just relax. Be your genuine, interesting, passionate self and it'll be just fine.Me too! I've heard it's pretty helpful cause current medical students are present & answer questions.
I'm super excited but also super nervous.. for a 8 hour interview?? I need to review the schedule again![]()
Hm I'm actually thinking of not going to the reception, or maybe just popping by later in the night (though not sure how long it's supposed to go..?). Don't know that I'll make it in time/have the energy after the traveling
Free lunch always helps loosen me up 😛 but awh, that's a bummer. I'm worried about that too (travel fatigue) for my other interviews if I get the IIs. How far are you traveling?Omg don't think of it as an 8-hr interview! You'll get yourself strung up in knots like that. Just relax. Be your genuine, interesting, passionate self and it'll be just fine.
Hm I'm actually thinking of not going to the reception, or maybe just popping by later in the night (though not sure how long it's supposed to go..?). Don't know that I'll make it in time/have the energy after the traveling
Not too far at all, few hours' drive, but I mean, I'll be coming from probably a full day of work on Friday! Will just play it by ear I'm thinking.Free lunch always helps loosen me up 😛 but awh, that's a bummer. I'm worried about that too (travel fatigue) for my other interviews if I get the IIs. How far are you traveling?
Do they care about research and MCAT more than GPA by anyones past experiences? I am completed here as of yesterday, I have a 10-20%ile GPA for here but 75%ile MCAT (515).
My research is by far my strongest part- almost 3000hrs, 3 different labs, current lab manager for past year at top 5 hospital, 1 first author pub, 3 abstracts, 2 national one international, published book chapter, soon to be second author on submitted manuscript. Is this enough for this school? I feel like I have no shot due to low GPA since they interview so few people but I'm hopeful my research will help
My research is by far my strongest part- almost 3000hrs, 3 different labs, current lab manager for past year at top 5 hospital, 1 first author pub, 3 abstracts, 2 national one international, published book chapter, soon to be second author on submitted manuscript. Is this enough for this school? I feel like I have no shot due to low GPA since they interview so few people but I'm hopeful my research will help
I'm in the
sameDo they care about research and MCAT more than GPA by anyones past experiences? I am completed here as of yesterday, I have a 10-20%ile GPA for here but 75%ile MCAT (515)
I'm in the same boat. I think their gpa is sloiightly low for a research focused place so maybe we have a chance - at least better chance than other places
My research is by far my strongest part- almost 3000hrs, 3 different labs, current lab manager for past year at top 5 hospital, 1 first author pub, 3 abstracts, 2 national one international, published book chapter, soon to be second author on submitted manuscript. Is this enough for this school? I feel like I have no shot due to low GPA since they interview so few people but I'm hopeful my research will help
Ok idk what happened with the formatting there but I meant to say:I'm in the
same
I'm in the same boat. I think their gpa is sloiightly low for a research focused place so maybe we have a chance - at least better chance than other places
im oos and have an iiHave any out of state applicants received a II yet?
I was thinking about bringing my Significant other, but on second thought if they don't explicitly say it's okay, I would refrain from bringing anyone else. I didn't read anywhere that said it was encouraged, also this is about you getting into medical school, it shouldn't seem like your mom is driving you (literally and figuratively). Just my 2cOk, so this may seem like a silly question about the reception on Friday night, but do you think we just go by ourselves? My mom is driving up with me, and she's hinted at wanting to see as much of the school as possible...
worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research (1 first author pub, 1 middle author pub incoming, working in clinical research lab for a year, 8 months of writing highlights for hepatology journal)? hoping my MCAT/research can offset my gpa. OOS from a city in NC, not western rural NC like I've seen is favored, but knowing they like research maybe I have a shot?
worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research
Go for it, why not? Can't really predict if you'll get in but I doubt they'll just cut you out completely. Plus, they screen so if you got a secondary, they must be looking past your scores to some extent.
thanks!Go for it, why not? Can't really predict if you'll get in but I doubt they'll just cut you out completely. Plus, they screen so if you got a secondary, they must be looking past your scores to some extent.
is anyones secondary portal not working at all like page won't even load
Yeah mine isn't loading either. Maybe their system is down. Don't worry, its not just you!is anyones secondary portal not working at all like page won't even load
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lol I just got like 7 notifs from you posting on all my schools xDthanks!
i know im sorry- i was posting to each one so i'd get notifications when someone posts, and figured i'd try to get some insight at the same time. it didnt occur to me that everyone's notifications would blow up. someone told me about the watch thread option though so it wont happen againlol I just got like 7 notifs from you posting on all my schools xD
Depends on your research. When I talked to the admissions director at their event, they very much value research experience.Any chance with gpa 3.7 and mact 505 VA resident?
ThanksDepends on your research. When I talked to the admissions director at their event, they very much value research experience.
Congrats!Just got an interview!
II just now! Top-choice! Very nervous about MMI though
In-state, LizzyM 68-71
Congrats! When we're you complete
.
Last edited:
Thanks! I was complete on 07/18.Congrats! When we're you complete
Roanoke has an airport which isn't that difficult to get to, although it will be kind of expensive.
Depends on where you're flying from/what you consider expensive. Flying into ROA is probably your best bet though. Unless you feel like landing in raleigh or charlotte and driving.
Did you find any good MMI prep material?Anyone with an II for this Saturday freaking out? I can't handle my nerves preparing for my first interview/MMI.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck everyone!!! You can literally google practice MMI questions and just try to talk through them yourself and anticipate some follow up questions.
I was really hyped about this school, but they do not seem as hype about me right now. Hopefully I can be a part of a group later in the cycle!
I was really hyped about this school, but they do not seem as hype about me right now. Hopefully I can be a part of a group later in the cycle!
I just submitted this secondary tonight (8/15) am I considered 'late' now to the point that it would hurt my chances?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm wearing a nice blouse with nice flats. I think guys should wear a polo or button-down with khakis or something.What is everyone thinking of wearing to the reception tonight? I thought I read in one of the emails/in the info "business casual" but now I can't find that phrase anywhere.
Hopefully that's not too far off the mark!
For "VTC's curriculum fosters a culture of compassion through its community service learning initiatives. Through their inter-professional learning group projects (IPL), students demonstrate leadership and innovation while making a positive difference in the community. Describe an event or a time when your personal contribution was instrumental to the success of a team or made a positive impact on someone else's life.", could I copy and paste what I did as part of my research group one semester? It has background on the topic and what I learned from it. I'm not sure if that would answer the question. My other 2 essays show more of my humanity, but I wanted to vomit here that I took part in research and show I can talk about it.