2018-2019 Albany Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Huh, yeah it does seem high. Idk, I specifically asked how many II were left stating that MSAR shows it out of 600. She put me on hold to ask and said my info was incorrect and it's closer to 900 :confused: I wish schools posted this info on their website in real time.
Also a good chance she’s not entirely sure and is ballparking it .Admissions people do tend to not know the details like adcoms do

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Also a good chance she’s not entirely sure and is ballparking it .Admissions people do tend to not know the details like adcoms do

But she put me on hold for five min to go ask an adcom :shrug: Or at least that's what she said. Oh well, all we can do is wait and pray during this entire cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all! M1 student here. This is the same as last year. There are about 900 interviews for 100 spots. Also it was MMI last year (and for at least 3 years before that). I believe, this is what they said our class had this year and I know that is how many for the class above us. The new thing bogging down the system is the Casper test which is similar to our MMI.
In the beginning Admissions tries to turn around in 2-3 weeks but they quickly become inundated with your apps so it takes longer. They also go through your apps a few times so if you are passed over for now, you can be called in later.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What should the wife do while I'm interviewing? Anything cool around campus?

What should the wife do while I'm interviewing? Anything cool around campus?
Hmmm well if she is an outdoorsy type there is a lot of hiking that she could do in the area. She could try out any of the restaurants in Albany, drive to the mall, or go to the NY state museum.

Hmmm well if she is an outdoorsy type there is a lot of hiking that she could do in the area. She could try out any of the restaurants in Albany, drive to the mall, or go to the NY state museum.

She is quite outdoorsy. Any recommendations for home spots?

Did anyone receive a second invite to the secondary?? I got the first one but then today I just got one that says —> “Thank you for your AMCAS application. We are reaching out to you as an applicant from a diverse and underrepresented background to personally invite you to submit a secondary application to Albany Medical College (AMC) ”

Did anyone receive a second invite to the secondary?? I got the first one but then today I just got one that says —> “Thank you for your AMCAS application. We are reaching out to you as an applicant from a diverse and underrepresented background to personally invite you to submit a secondary application to Albany Medical College (AMC) ”
Yes I did as well

This is helpful- thank you! Does Albany send Rejection emails within that goal "2-3 week period", too?

This is helpful- thank you! Does Albany send Rejection emails within that goal "2-3 week period", too?
Nope. Albany does batches of rejection emails not in a 2-3 week period. You can look in last year’s thread for when that occurred.

How stressful is Albany's MMI? It's my first interview of the cycle and I'm getting a little nervous since it's my first MMI

How stressful is Albany's MMI? It's my first interview of the cycle and I'm getting a little nervous since it's my first MMI

It isn’t stressful. They took pride in making sure all of our questions were answered and that the whole process was as comfortable as it could be. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Received II earlier today! First one, glad to know my application doesn't have any hidden red flags haha...but I'm OOS with a LizzyM 68-70, also ORM. Complete since early August.

received an II today as well. complete ... i don't even know when bc i never got a complete email lol

Added this school last week. Haven't received a secondary yet, am I too late to the game here?

Added this school last week. Haven't received a secondary yet, am I too late to the game here?
It’s a bit late in the season for adding new schools, so everything moves a little slower when it comes to primaries. This does not mean you will end up without a secondary

For those who flew in to interview, did you just book two nights at the Hilton (or any other hotel), or is there a place to store your things during the interview? I'm staying the night before, but the interview lasts until 4 or 5pm, meaning I will have to reserve another night to store my stuff because check-out is at noon.

For those who flew in to interview, did you just book two nights at the Hilton (or any other hotel), or is there a place to store your things during the interview? I'm staying the night before, but the interview lasts until 4 or 5pm, meaning I will have to reserve another night to store my stuff because check-out is at noon.
The hotel can hold your items for you in the lobby for pick up at a later time.

Does anyone have any tips or resources to get ready for MMI? This will be my first one tomorrow and I'm nervous!!

Does anyone have any tips or resources to get ready for MMI? This will be my first one tomorrow and I'm nervous!!
I'm not sure what the MMIs are like there, but what I did was go over some sample questions that I found online that could be asked during an MMI. I would say to not be nervous and be yourself. I know the nervous part can be hard, but try to calm your nerves before so that you have a clear head with which you can read and respond to the prompts they give. Also, I found in my personal experience with an MMI that it can be helpful to draw examples from your own life and experiences to help illustrate certain points you try to make, but that's more dependent on the question being asked. But yeah, overall, you can try to read some sample questions to get a feel for what might be asked (although to be quite honest, I don't think much preparation is really needed for these interviews, but I did so anyway just because it made me feel better), and remember to be yourself (as in don't try to be what you think they want you to be and say what you think they want to hear)! I hope this was somewhat helpful, and good luck with your interview!

Just interviewed here yesterday! A lot more chill than I thought it'd be, actually enjoyed the MMI.

Reactions: 2 users
Albany Med MS1 here! Feel free to PM me any questions you may have. The waiting game is really hard but hang in there and just take pleasures in the little things in life :)
Good Luck everyone!

yeah on the real. can you just rejay jay me already?

Reactions: 2 users
Been complete for over 8 weeks now smh albany

Yeah definitely chill. It sucks to wait but that is all you can do for now.

Anyone know what time we should expect to be done? The portal says to expect to be there 5-6 hours, so considering check-in is at 8:00AM I calculated we might be done latest by 2PM. However someone here said that the day would be done around 4 or 5.

Also, I have been trying to find information on the portal or website about MMI details. Such as how long we will have to read prompt, the number of stations, and their time duration. Anyone know?

Anyone know what time we should expect to be done? The portal says to expect to be there 5-6 hours, so considering check-in is at 8:00AM I calculated we might be done latest by 2PM. However someone here said that the day would be done around 4 or 5.

Also, I have been trying to find information on the portal or website about MMI details. Such as how long we will have to read prompt, the number of stations, and their time duration. Anyone know?

My day ended around 1pm. MMIs were relatively low key so don't stress about them too much. If you get done talking before the timer goes off, they usually engage in conversation/follow up questions. You'll have plenty of time to read the prompt. I don't want to disclose because I don't remember if we signed an NDA but seriously, there is nothing to worry about. It's really well organized.

Anyone remember if they have a place to leave luggage and the like? I only got a hotel for one night, and that's the night before the interview.

So I have a really dumb situation that's entirely my fault and I'd like some input:

I applied and sent in my AMCAS application pretty early in the cycle back in June, and in early July the secondaries started coming in. I got a secondary from every school I applied to except Albany (I thought) and within 2 weeks had completed all of them. I looked at my email daily (sometimes hourly) to keep up with the secondaries but I wasn't checking off a list of which ones I had and had not seen of all I had applied to.

It finally occurred to me to track when I was complete and which schools I had gotten responses to, and low and behold, I found out the other day I had a secondary, from Albany, from July. Just sitting in my email having slipped into some arcane junk mail folder. If i had never searched my own email I never would have seen it.

At this late in the game, should I still complete it? I'm non-traditional, my stats are middling and this is my first cycle applying. If I finish the secondary now, in October, and (presumably) don't make it, I would definitely be considered a re-applicant for next year. However, if I don't submit the secondary, would I still be considered a re-applicant for putting them down and opening it?

:vomit:

Anyone remember if they have a place to leave luggage and the like? I only got a hotel for one night, and that's the night before the interview.

I'm also staying one night at the Hilton, and I was told that the front desk will be able to hold my bag until the interview is over.

haven't been to my AMC interview yet but i know that at other places i interviewed, they let me leave my suitcase in a conference room in the admissions office during my interview day - AMC likely has something similar. you could also try calling to ask just to be safe!

For those that interviewed early, do you remember if they said anything about hearing back on the 15th?

For those that interviewed early, do you remember if they said anything about hearing back on the 15th?
Something along the lines of maybe the 15th, and if not then, definitely before the end of the month. They didn't give my group a definite answer :shrug: