2018-2019 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think you will be fine. I was accepted and I am from Florida. Best of luck with the interview!

Congratulations on your acceptance! Thanks for your kind words. I hope it goes really well, trying not freak myself out ^^!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any acceptances from last week interviews?

Congratulations on your acceptance! Thanks for your kind words. I hope it goes really well, trying not freak myself out ^^!
Thanks and you are welcome! The people I met there were friendly and kind. I think you will enjoy the school :)

Members don't see this ad :)
got the call! accepted.

basically acted like this on the phone:

Reactions: 12 users
Does anyone know if tablets or PCs are required, and if so, is there a particular brand ARCOM wants you to have? I want to know if I should start shopping for an iPad, or whatnot. If there is no requirement for any particular hardware, I will just pick out a tablet and PC that I like :)

Does anyone know if tablets or PCs are required, and if so, is there a particular brand ARCOM wants you to have? I want to know if I should start shopping for an iPad, or whatnot. If there is no requirement for any particular hardware, I will just pick out a tablet and PC that I like :)
Any laptops or tablets with those general specs or higher should be fine. Remember, you're gonna be using it to take your exams, so you need something that is very reliable. Last thing you need is to have your laptop crash while taking an exam though we do have a few iPads available in case that ever happens.
FB_IMG_1541950597270.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi DocStrange,

Thank you! So the options are a Windows machine, an Apple machine, or an iPad? I am relieved that it looks like I don't have to buy an Apple product ;)

I see that Windows must be the Pro edition. Do you think that is because the Home edition does not have some of the features like joining a domain or the "Take a Test" app?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi DocStrange,

Thank you! So the options are a Windows machine, an Apple machine, or an iPad? I am relieved that it looks like I don't have to buy an Apple product ;)

I see that Windows must be the Pro edition. Do you think that is because the Home edition does not have some of the features like joining a domain or the "Take a Test" app?
Yeah I'm guessing because it will allow you to have access to most/all the features that we use here at ARCOM like remote desktop, joining domain... We take our tests on the software called Examplify by the way.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm guessing because it would allow you to have access to most/all the features that we use here at ARCOM like remote desktop, joining domain... We take our tests on the software called Examplify by the way.

I hate that software. Just saying

Do they use it at KCU as well? What issue have you had with it? So far we haven't had any significant problem with it here.
Yeah we use it. I've had several changed answers happen that shouldn't have. Also a big issue is for test review, people.always need resume codes

Anyone interviewing on 11/20? Does anyone know the post-interview acceptance rate?

Anyone interviewing on 11/20? Does anyone know the post-interview acceptance rate?
I don't think they have published data on post-interview acceptance rate. They don't seem to interview candidates they don't plan on accepting, so the interview is weighed heavily. IMO, if you have an interview, the seat is yours to lose.

I don't think they have published data on post-interview acceptance rate. They don't seem to interview candidates they don't plan on accepting, so the interview is weighed heavily. IMO, if you have an interview, the seat is yours to lose.
Thanks! I am really excited about this school, I am OOS from FL. Gonna nail the interview at all costs.

Has anyone been accepted without taking the casper test?

Thanks! I am really excited about this school, I am OOS from FL. Gonna nail the interview at all costs.

Good luck! They're very mission and community focused, so make sure you find a way to show you're a good fit. I'm happy to have two acceptances including this one, and I really like ARCOM. Just need to figure out what's best for me.

No news yet for me. My interview was on October 30.
Hey it’s not letting me respond to your message. Maybe you have

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
hey for some reason it won’t let me respond to you. I got an email t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
hi, for some reason it won't let me message you back. I received an email that said I was waitlisted and would receive an official letter in the mail.

Thank you! Honestly I did not know how to feel after the interview. For my stats, I am a very non-traditional student with two undergrad degrees, and in a master's program currently. My grad GPA and science GPA are >3.6, but overall sci w/ undergrad is <2.8 and <3.00 overall. MCAT from 2016 is 505, but I worked professionally in research for 3+ years w/ 4 1st author abstracts, 2 unpaid internships (1 overseas) in social science non-profits. 300+ hours of volunteering, 100+ shadowing. So I'm assuming those plus how long ago some of my classes were (over a decade) helped with my lackluster GPA.

congratulations. I think all your hard work in research and the social sciences will help you navigate medical school and become an excellent clinician. apparently ARCOM thinks so, too!

Thank you! Honestly I did not know how to feel after the interview. For my stats, I am a very non-traditional student with two undergrad degrees, and in a master's program currently. My grad GPA and science GPA are >3.6, but overall sci w/ undergrad is <2.8 and <3.00 overall. MCAT from 2016 is 505, but I worked professionally in research for 3+ years w/ 4 1st author abstracts, 2 unpaid internships (1 overseas) in social science non-profits. 300+ hours of volunteering, 100+ shadowing. So I'm assuming those plus how long ago some of my classes were (over a decade) helped with my lackluster GPA.
Congratulations. All your hard work paid off. You did it.

accepted at this time via email. OOS (TX), post-grad with medical work experience, 3.65/511

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone that is 100% attending started an application for the Residents? Curious to know when to start that process and what it entails

Has anyone that is 100% attending started an application for the Residents? Curious to know when to start that process and what it entails
I would put an application as soon as possible if you're sure you will attend ARCOM and wanna live at the residents. I'm only telling you this because it's first come first serve, and I remember there was a long waitlist last year.

for those who have interviewed here. Did you all receive a formal interview invite through email ? I have not yet. but when i log into the portal it gives me the option to schedule an interview. I want to go ahead and sign up but dont know if im supposed to or not

for those who have interviewed here. Did you all receive a formal interview invite through email ? I have not yet. but when i log into the portal it gives me the option to schedule an interview. I want to go ahead and sign up but dont know if im supposed to or not

I got a formal interview invite by email but didn't have the option on the portal, just through the link in my email. This is something you should clarify with the admissions office.

Yes, I put in my application the day after I found out I was accepted. Sometime last week I received a message from The Residents saying that they have received my application and I will receive update with more info soon.

Just call the student affairs office to make sure. They're very friendly and will be happy to help you.

Also, check your email spam folder. Sometimes those emails end up there for some reason.

@DrStephenStrange Do you know when ARCOM will send out like a list of stuff that we need to get? Such as anatomy lab coats, scrubs, etc. I am just asking because someone in your class has a blog that lists the stuff she had to get and I was looking at that but I don't know how much it will change for the 2023 class. Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I just happened to look at the portal before the email came. But I am interviewing this Friday! Any tips? What type of questions did they ask you?

@DrStephenStrange Do you know when ARCOM will send out like a list of stuff that we need to get? Such as anatomy lab coats, scrubs, etc. I am just asking because someone in your class has a blog that lists the stuff she had to get and I was looking at that but I don't know how much it will change for the 2023 class. Thanks!
It probably won't change much, but you guys should get a complete list of books and supplies when its getting closer and closer to the next academic year like maybe May or June. I wouldn't worry about buying books now though because first your list might have a few changes, and the library will have both online and physical copies of our books available to you anyway. Some people like me get by without needing to buy a physical copy of every single book.

Blind as in they know absolutely nothing about your application.

I have an interview 11/16 ?.... Any ideas what kind of questions will be in the interview?
If it's a blind interview, do you think that they will ask me for my experience and my research or I can talk about it?
How long does the interview take?
Thank you so much in advance!!!

I have an interview 11/16 ?.... Any ideas what kind of questions will be in the interview?
If it's a blind interview, do you think that they will ask me for my experience and my research or I can talk about it?

All these questions have been discussed in this thread. I'll give you a brief overview but you might learn a lot by just going through old posts, tedious as it may sound.

With blind interviews, the tone is conversational. It's on you to steer the conversation to hit key strengths of your application. If you're being interviewed, you already have the stats/ECs to attend there. At this point, it's about your personality and how you fit with the school's mission and culture. Be yourself, be familiar with the school's mission. It's a 30 minute interview that will go by blazingly fast.

Reactions: 2 users
The usual why medicine? Why osteopathic medicine specifically? Why the school? Why Arkansas or Fort Smith? Talk about yourself, your accomplishments, your failures and how you cope... are some of the questions you should be able to answer without thinking because they are questions you should expect and prepare for. The rest is conversational and can go anyway you want mostly. Also, make sure you have questions for your interviewers as well. Remember, you're not only being interviewed, but you're also interviewing them/the school.

Thanks for the replies. I just happened to look at the portal before the email came. But I am interviewing this Friday! Any tips? What type of questions did they ask you?

Hey I just interviewed.

Smile a lot and be nice. Tbh the interview was very chill and they just want to get to know you. They are looking for people to fit the mission!

Hey guys I’m interviewing this Friday and was wondering is uber a good option to make it to the interview? I’m under 25 and don’t have a credit card so I can’t really rent a car. Or are there any cab services you guys reccomend?

Don’t know how to edit on the phone. But forgot to mention that that same hotel is essentially a walking distance to the airport. I wouldn’t walk it but they have taxis and prob Uber.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Home 2 Suites. I walked it...it was fine. :)

Hey guys I’m interviewing this Friday and was wondering is uber a good option to make it to the interview? I’m under 25 and don’t have a credit card so I can’t really rent a car. Or are there any cab services you guys reccomend?
They have taxis and uber but uber availability is hit or miss on weekdays. You can schedule a taxi in advance but the hotel should provide a shuttle to the school, as mentioned above. I'd offer to drive you but I won't be in Ft. Smith until Friday night.