Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, May 30, 2018.
Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile
rejected post ii
Sent from my SM-G960U1 using SDN mobile
Rejected post II as well :/
I’m sorry about the rejection. When did you interview?
end of nov.
Sent from my SM-G960U1 using SDN mobile
Rejected yesterday. Interviewed mid October,
LizzyM ~70, OOS, t'was truly a nice little early holiday gift .
Interviewed early November and got a rejection yesterday. Not that surprised. I did not really have a good experience during my interview so I wasn’t feeling the place. Good luck to everyone else in the running!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Has anyone who interviewed on 11/8 heard anything?
if i haven't received either an acceptancce or rejection email even though I interviewed mid-october does that mean waitlist...
Does CUSM take pre-II updates? Fall semester grades in particular
Interviewed 12/13 - received the “still under consideration” email today. How long after that email did people receive their acceptance?
Interviewed Nov. 8th and received that email on Nov. 20th, still haven't heard anything since. Hoping for some news soon!
Has anyone received an acceptance through mail?
Sent from my VS995 using SDN mobile
Can anyone send me the interview schedule document? The link has expired -_-
waitlisted - interviewed 11/8. does anyone know if they have a ranking system? the email was pretty short and sweet.
Same here got the waitlist email, I don’t think they have a ranking system just yet since I believe they’re interviewing until April so I feel like it would be kinda difficult to have that since it would probably change with other interviews taking place still
Hey I just got an email from this school , that they are extending deadline until February ... is it even worth it to apply this late ?
They email me now? Doubt it’s worth the $$ for secondaries but I am considering it.
Idk but I’ve been complete for months now and still haven’t heard back so who even knows with this school
is it worth applying here now? I just got an email saying they extended primary app dates to submit and was interested in studying in Cali. I am OOS but from the west coast.
Agreed .. but honestly I’m so tempted too...
I got that extension email too, but I’ve already interviewed there... lol
My internal battle didn’t last long. Better to burn the pennies than wonder what if for 40 years
do they screen for secondaries? submitted my app in late October and still no secondary
Waitlisted - interviewed 12/6. Anyone know if the waitlist is ranked and when we may hear back?
Anyone else didn't get the extension email like me? Wondering what that means...
I got the extension email. Already submitted app late Oct and have not received secondary. Very confused.
I'd say it depends on the strength of your application. Keep in mind, as newer school they are going to have a higher post-acceptance attrition rate than other, more established schools, as people drop their 'A' to go somewhere else. So while I'd probably say "save your money" with a lot of other MD's at this point, with CalMed you definitely have more of a realistic shot a scoring an II than with most other schools. I can't give you any hard evidence or data to suggest whether it's technically worth it or not to drop the money for the secondary, I'm just simply saying you have a better shot here than if you were to drop a secondary at another school.
Yes, they screen for secondaries. I don't know how thorough the process is though. That is to say, I'm not 100% sure what criteria they use to screen besides their posted 502 MCAT and 3.0 GPA minimums.
Got a secondary but never submitted it (due to lack of $). Got the deadline extension email, but in my secondary the "start response" button is still greyed out. Can I still apply?
I don’t think it’s too late. They started interviewing in October, later than most schools.
I received one today as well. I decided to just go ahead and apply. Guess I'll see if i make the cutoff for a secondary from them. Seems kind of late to apply though.
I emailed they didn't say anything about ranking. They said no updates/letters of intent, and that it could be up to the first day of classes
Update: I sent them an email and they opened the application back up for me.
Yay! Good luck!
Did you apply to this school through AMCAS when you first submitted the application or this is your first time. Their secondary cutoff is 12/15/2018. I guess they reopen.
I just added them to my AMCAS yesterday after they sent me an email. They extended the deadline to February.
Have been complete since September but have not heard anything since submitting my secondary...would it be worth it to reach out and see if any updates will be sent out soon?
Hey! I'm an MS1 at CalMed. (Message me if you have questions about our school. It's a great place.)
Although I'm not part of the Admissions Committee, I know that they appreciate thoughtful initiative. If you actually want to go here, write a short letter of intent explaining why this is a top school for you. This worked for a few of my colleagues. (Just don't be weird. Make it a nice PDF. Be professional but not awkwardly formal.)
This is probably more applicable for those who have already done interviews, but I think it's fine for anyone. Dr. Eveland (or your interviewer) is probably the person to email.
It's helpful to mention that you want to attend this school because it is close to family, but don't forget to mention the aspects of our school that make us a little different. Examples: you're setting the culture of a new school, clinical presentations are a decent chunk of your time here, we work heavily in teams (this is probably the best part for me, but the Han Solos of our class struggle), there are very few clubs and you can start so many new things, you'll be doing rotations at a county hospital (this is an awesome thing), we learn clinical skills from Day 1 (actually Day 2, because it's on Tuesday), etc.
tl;dr: reach out once with a letter of intent and make it count
when would you recommend sending a letter of intent? once interviews are over or is now fine?
any accepted students get the background check forms/email yet?
You definitely don't have to wait until interviews are over to send a letter of intent. However, you should still be strategic in your timing and it really depends on if you have any acceptances, wait-lists or remaining II's.
Ideally you'd be able to say (very roughly) - "Hey, I'm accepted at School X but I would attend CalMed over that school"
Or, next best - "I'm wait-listed at School X and Y but even if accepted at those schools I'd rather go to CalMed"
Or, if you're reaching a bit - "I've got interviews at School X and Y but if accepted at CalMed I wouldn't even attend those 'cause CalMed is my number 1...", etc., etc.
With CalMed being a newer school, and having a higher post-acceptance attrition rate, convincing them you'll attend and not drop your acceptance last minute for another school is definitely helpful.
Things to keep in mind (that may already be obvious to you): schools can see your acceptances so don't lie about being accepted somewhere you're not and letters of intent are generally for after the interview. Sending one before even having an II is relatively pointless.
Again, may be more info than you needed but... hey... there yah go.
Just got the background check email today.
Me too. Still no contact about immunization forms though
Hey thanks for the recommendation man, I really appreciate it! How has your first year been so far?
Interviewed 12/13 and received my acceptance today!
If only accepted to a D.O. program, would you say "Ive been accepted to xxx Osteopathic Medical School, but would attend CUSM?" or just "I've been accepted to a medical school, but would attend CUSM?" or just not say anything about acceptances?
They don’t accept letters of interest/intent pre interview. Nor do they accept update letters. I tried and failed two weeks ago.
Better to have an MD acceptance if you want the leverage.
This has been my only M.D. interview - so a D.O. acceptance is basically the only leverage I have. would you still not mention it?