2018-2019 CA University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted 1/18. Interviewed 1/10. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted 1/18. Interviewed 1/10. Good luck everyone!

Also accepted 1/18. Also interviewed 1/10. Maybe we met each other ;)

Are they done sending II? :(

They seemed to have scheduled II all in one day back in September but I wouldn't count yourself out yet. As we get later in the cycle more people are going to withdraw their interviews. They seemed to have a strong focus on IS applicants particularly from SoCal, so if you're in the area they may send you an II if they have open spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
The offer of acceptance letter says it’s legally binding. Does that mean once you sign you can only go to this school or are you still able to wait for another school’s waitlist/acceptance?

Submitted my primary application here based on that deadline extension email I got. This will be my last application cycle, so I just decided to throw this school in just case...so let's see what happens LOL.

Last edited:
Silence since September

Say that five times fast

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input guys. Do you think it would be better to send these post-interview and pre-decision, or post-interview and post-decision (if waitlist)?

If they don't except 'Letters of Interest/Intent' then I suppose it wouldn't matter, however, it kind of depends on how they operate their wait-list. Some schools rank their wait-list and you're locked into your rank once they rank you, so a LOI wouldn't matter after that point. However, some schools don't rank but rather go over applications again when they decide to take people off the wait-list. In this situation submitting a LOI might be helpful even after being waitlisted. Unfortunately I don't know CalMed's methodology surrounding the wait-list. So, if they do accept LOIs it may be best to submit post-interview before the committee meets to go over your application if you aren't sure how their wait-list works. This is me purely speculating though.

The offer of acceptance letter says it’s legally binding. Does that mean once you sign you can only go to this school or are you still able to wait for another school’s waitlist/acceptance?

Per the AAMC you can hold any number of acceptances until April 1st 2019. I've never heard of an acceptance being "legally binding" in any way besides you not getting back some money you may have given them already for fees, deposits, etc. You may ask for clarification from them but it's surely not enforced by the AAMC, it would be a school specific rule if there were any weight to it.

Just some fun facts for anyone who's interested:

As of January 2019,

Applications received: 5,300+
Total Interviews that will be given out (the total amount; not the amount done so far): ~450 (will continue out until April sometime, most likely)

C/O 2023 current MCAT average: 514
C/O 2023 current cGPA average: 3.79

Next scheduled admissions committee meeting: February 20th (there may be one sooner but this is the next confirmed meeting; they're usually on Wednesdays)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Is there a class of 2023 facebook page yet?

Submitted my primary application here based on that deadline extension email I got. This will be my last application cycle, so I just decided to throw this school in just case...so let's see what happens LOL.
So did I. Did you get a secondary from them yet?

I submitted my primary a little over a week ago and have not received a secondary yet.

I submitted my primary a little over a week ago and have not received a secondary yet.
This school has been pretty silent lately. I would wait a bit more before calling them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Just received an email saying the school received my application

do any current students think the new building will be done by your 3rd year? also are there any building plans that we can look at?

Rejected post secondary pre-II. Really sad about that :<

do any current students think the new building will be done by your 3rd year? also are there any building plans that we can look at?

The President met with us on Wednesday to give us an update on the building. Everything is currently on schedule. They break ground next month.

Wow I just got an MBS email from them even though they're still ghosting me. Disrespectful as F**K

I got the MBS e-mail just now and I've already been accepted lmao

Congratulations. :) Would you mind sharing your complete date?

Hello m8's,

I called the admissions at CalMed and they informed me that even for waitlisted applicants, they do not accept any updates/letters of interest, etc. Given their stance, would it still be appropriate to send letters?

Last edited:
Hello m8's,

I called the admissions at CalMed and they informed me that even for waitlisted applicants, they do not accept any updates/letters of interest, etc. Given their stance, would it still be appropriate to send new materials?

I was wondering this myself. I have heard from multiple different sources NOT to contact admissions post interview, but many people on SDN seem to be encouraging it. If your interviewer liked you it might be worth emailing that specific person to see if a LOI might help, but be careful of who you take advice from online.

IF a med school tells you NOT to do something, why is anyone possibly asking if it's OK to do it????

Do some people simply not want to get into med school? This is a good way of doing it.

Reactions: 4 users
1 on 1 faculty interview. open file. mine lasted ~30-45 minutes

there's also a lunch with several faculty members

Reactions: 3 users
IF a med school tells you NOT to do something, why is anyone possibly asking if it's OK to do it????

Do some people simply not want to get into med school? This is a good way of doing it.

Hi Goro,

I saw some of your thoughts on this school last cycle and your apprehension that CUSM may be another California Northstate. Have your opinions changed since then?

Hi Goro,

I saw some of your thoughts on this school last cycle and your apprehension that CUSM may be another California Northstate. Have your opinions changed since then?
CalU is definite;y NOT another CN"u" and I recommend it to any qualified Californian. I recommend it to Golden Staters because of the enormous pool of candidates in that state.

Reactions: 3 users
1 on 1 faculty interview. open file. mine lasted ~30-45 minutes

there's also a lunch with several faculty members
Can you or anyone who has already interviewed comment on the possibility of the school securing federal student loans?

Can you or anyone who has already interviewed comment on the possibility of the school securing federal student loans?

Although they said they are doing their best, it seems like it’s not going to be available for next year. Almost certainly going to be secured for the following year though

Did anyone who sent in their primary in January receive a secondary yet?

Is it just me or is it strange that this school didn't send more detailed interview information in an e-mail as it got closer to the interview date?

They sent me a schedule for the interview day with my interview invite. They also sent another document about driving/hotel/parking instructions. A week before my interview I think they emailed and asked about meal preferences