2018-2019 Duke University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh sorry I should have been clearer! My fault! Pretty much I am wondering does every applicant truly get two unique reads or is it more of a first come first serve basis like many other medical schools.
From my knowledge about the admissions process (as a current MS2), I can assure you that every application does get two reads!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe they still have open spots for those who were already granted an interview. Those still waiting for a II will have to wait until somebody withdraws from their interview if that makes sense. All we can do is just wait and send updates at this point.

From my knowledge about the admissions process (as a current MS2), I can assure you that every application does get two reads!

Hello! I had a quick neurotic question, if you don't mind me asking. Do you think the time between being complete and receiving an II is an indication at all for how much your app was viewed by the committee? I was complete late-July and fortunately received an II mid-November, while I know some applicants received II's as early as two weeks after being complete. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I had a quick neurotic question, if you don't mind me asking. Do you think the time between being complete and receiving an II is an indication at all for how much your app was viewed by the committee? I was complete late-July and fortunately received an II mid-November, while I know some applicants received II's as early as two weeks after being complete. Thank you!

When I say the two unique reads, what happens is that one person reads your application and makes a decision to interview/reject you. Then, a second person reads your application and makes a decision. If both of their decisions match, then you either get the interview or a rejection. If both their decisions do not match, then a third higher up committee person reads our application and makes a final decision.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

To be honest, I’m not sure. Initially, lots of the applications are read individually, and I think one thing to keep in mind is that many of the reviewers are practicing physicians and therefore, are quite busy. As far as I know, there isn’t any hierarchy (e.g. 528s in a special pile) to the order in which applications are reviewed and IIs extended. Like many other aspects of this process, I think there’s some randomness at play.

After you interview, your interview score + the rest of your application is then reviewed by the executive committee (multiple people, including those who read your application initially), and a decision is made. This happens a few weeks after your interview, which is standard for everyone. Again, as far as I know, no one is looking at your TTII (time to interview invite, I just made that up). If you interview, you’ve been deemed qualified enough to potentially be a student here. Simple as that.

Reactions: 1 user
To be honest, I’m not sure. Initially, lots of the applications are read individually, and I think one thing to keep in mind is that many of the reviewers are practicing physicians and therefore, are quite busy. As far as I know, there isn’t any hierarchy (e.g. 528s in a special pile) to the order in which applications are reviewed and IIs extended. Like many other aspects of this process, I think there’s some randomness at play.

After you interview, your interview score + the rest of your application is then reviewed by the executive committee (multiple people, including those who read your application initially), and a decision is made. This happens a few weeks after your interview, which is standard for everyone. Again, as far as I know, no one is looking at your TTII (time to interview invite, I just made that up). If you interview, you’ve been deemed qualified enough to potentially be a student here. Simple as that.

So they make a decision soon after you interview? I got the impression that they didnt make any decisions until they were done interviewing everybody to make it more "fair" to those who interviewed later. So if I interviewed early in the season, what's the reasoning behind waiting to tell me a decision until the very end?

So they make a decision soon after you interview? I got the impression that they didnt make any decisions until they were done interviewing everybody to make it more "fair" to those who interviewed later. So if I interviewed early in the season, what's the reasoning behind waiting to tell me a decision until the very end?
I know that the ‘executive committee’ meets roughly a month or so after you’ve interviewed and discusses your file. This is why, if you have updates to add to your file, you’re encouraged to submit those soon after you interview.

There is no difference in your odds with interviewing earlier rather than later.

This is just speculation, but as to why they are non-rolling, I’d imagine that once everyone has interviewed and they have a pool of people that they’ve made a decision about, there are probably further decisions to be made with regards to the final composition of the class. Which is why I think they wait.

Thank you MC for your help!! :)

I just received an II!!! Complete 8/7. LizzyM 74. OOS. Dr. Yee called and said the only date available is 1/17, and there are about four slots remaining. Good luck to everyone!!!

Reactions: 9 users
I just received an II!!! Complete 8/7. LizzyM 74. OOS. Dr. Yee called and said the only date available is 1/17, and there are about four slots remaining. Good luck to everyone!!!

WOW!! How crazy we were just talking about that! I wish you the best :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I know it's super early to start wondering about decision release, but does anyone have any guesses/information on when they're planning to release decisions other than late Feb/early March?

If I were to bet money, decisions would roll out Feb. 22.

I know that the ‘executive committee’ meets roughly a month or so after you’ve interviewed and discusses your file. This is why, if you have updates to add to your file, you’re encouraged to submit those soon after you interview.

There is no difference in your odds with interviewing earlier rather than later.

This is just speculation, but as to why they are non-rolling, I’d imagine that once everyone has interviewed and they have a pool of people that they’ve made a decision about, there are probably further decisions to be made with regards to the final composition of the class. Which is why I think they wait.
Where was it stated that they meet about a month after the interview for the final decision? Is that a confirmed timeline? In other words, if we have already had an interview a while back and have had some significant update, would it be too late to update them?

Where was it stated that they meet about a month after the interview for the final decision? Is that a confirmed timeline? In other words, if we have already had an interview a while back and have had some significant update, would it be too late to update them?

I have also heard that the committee meets about a month after an interview from students who kinda know the ins-and-outs of the admission process, but I don't think it's explicitly stated any where. Regarding your update, the Duke doesn't allow updates after a week from your interview.

I’m a current student. This is what I know from having talked with the admissions office.

I have also heard that the committee meets about a month after an interview from students who kinda know the ins-and-outs of the admission process, but I don't think it's explicitly stated any where. Regarding your update, the Duke doesn't allow updates after a week from your interview.
Gotcha. Thank you for your response!

Reactions: 3 users
Keep in mind this article is quite a few years old, though. Dr. Armstrong was a revolutionary, and may she Rest In Peace.

Dr. Armstrong passed away??

I met her during my interview in 2007, and while I didn't get in that cycle, she encouraged me to reapply and apply early, which I did. I turned down my interview to follow a research fellowship. She was very kind, and I still have the book she gifted me after the interview. Rest in Peace

Omg I just got a II today!!! Last spot for the 17th. Dr. Lee? I believe called me today. MC_Infarction, thank you so much man for guiding us :)

Is wearing a suit too much? Or dress shirt, slacks, ties and dress shoes? And this is my first med school interview

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 3 users
Omg I just got a II today!!! Last spot for the 17th. Dr. Lee? I believe called me today. MC_Infarction, thank you so much man for guiding us :)

Is wearing a suit too much? Or dress shirt, slacks, ties and dress shoes? And this is my first med school interview

Congrats! Definitely wear your suit + dress shoes + tie, and good luck on the rest of your interviews. I'm sure there are many more coming your way.

Dr. Yee is the one who would have called you! And yeah, wear a suit, pretty much everyone wears a suit.

Congrats! What an awesome place to have your first interview. Look the men’s clothing interview (or women’s) thread for more guidance!

R for MD via portal and dont know when they updated it

Congrats! What an awesome place to have your first interview. Look the men’s clothing interview (or women’s) thread for more guidance!

Any last minute tips? Because this is will probably be my only med school interview. I only got one other school I am waiting on, all other 10 schools were rejected.

Any last minute tips? Because this is will probably be my only med school interview. I only got one other school I am waiting on, all other 10 schools were rejected.

I haven’t interviewed here but I recommend checking out the interview feedback forum for this school and to read the thread somewhere on SDN called advice from 20+ interviews or something like that. The guy wrote a great post and I think it’s now an SDN article (google search should show it). It really helped me to get in the right mindset for my interview and calm my nerves. Best of luck!

Edit: I found the article. Make sure you read part II as well. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.studentdoctor.net/2016/11/01/advice-from-20-interviews-part-1/amp/

R for MD via portal and dont know when they updated it
Where do you see it? Mine just says "continues to be reviewed by independent screeners" but no II yet so i dont know what to think

Where do you see it? Mine just says "continues to be reviewed by independent screeners" but no II yet so i dont know what to think

Then you aren't rejected yet. The R decision shows up in that same place.

Then you aren't rejected yet. The R decision shows up in that same place.
haha i feel like im in that limbo with a lot of schools where they don't reject me until the end but also don't give me an II lol, low key frustrating but what can ya do

Reactions: 5 users
haha i feel like im in that limbo with a lot of schools where they don't reject me until the end but also don't give me an II lol, low key frustrating but what can ya do
Same on my portal and yes I feel you

Beautiful campus and not modern style buildings, which is so awesome. I love it! But brrrrr was it cold today haha. All the faculty people are soooooo nice and very inviting. The other interviewers are so brilliant and talented. The competition is very real, I’m nervous tbh. The MMI was a little tricky for a few questions, I wonder how bad they ding you on it because right after the next person, I felt like I could’ve maybe answered it differently or a little better. But overall, was a good first med school interview. Good luck everybody! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Mine said this too a few days ago and I checked today and there was a R.

Just checked my portal and got the rejection. I literally just interviewed with them a few days ago. They either had their MD candidate meeting early or I just totally messed up the interview. Welp, maybe next year folks :/

I’m so sorry! really confused though, they said they weren’t releasing decisions post-interview until March? Hopefully it was a mistake?

Last edited:
Just checked my portal and got the rejection. I literally just interviewed with them a few days ago. They either had their MD candidate meeting early or I just totally messed up the interview. Welp, maybe next year folks :/
Meant to reply to this comment!

I interviewed pretty early in the season and my portal looks the same as it did, saying application complete and decisions will go out in early march. Has Duke ever sent out rejections like this before?

I’m so sorry! really confused though, they said they weren’t releasing decisions post-interview until March? Hopefully it was a mistake?

That’s what I thought, then everybody was saying they already got a rejection, so I checked just to see and it was rejected. It was still pending when Dr. Yee called me to interview the other day. It is what it is, I still got cool pictures of Duke when touring the campus. But like I said before, the competitiveness of the candidates were so strong in terms of their experiences.

Does anyone have an idea when decisions will be sent out? Last year it was about Feb22 and year before that Mar3, but both years' interviews finished later than this year, so will decisions come out earlier this year?