2018-2019 George Washington University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Goro @hushcom @gonnif
For the George Washington Prompts:
"What is your most meaningful community service experience to date? (350 characters)"

"What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)"

If any of you wise AdCom types could offer advice. I answered these questions as part of my most meaningful experiences on my primary app. I am not sure if I should elaborate on them, or if I should use another experience? I worry about redundancy. I was thinking about telling a specific story maybe. Thanks so much!

I second this--not sure if I should restate the skills I've gained and what I did like in my AMCAS or if I should address the activities from a different angle.

Members don't see this ad.

I second this--not sure if I should restate the skills I've gained and what I did like in my AMCAS or if I should address the activities from a different angle.
Goro suggested elaborating on the experiences you already expressed in your primary app. My strategy is going to be elaborate on it by explaining a specific experience within my role and describe how it has fueled my future aspirations.

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro @hushcom @gonnif
For the George Washington Prompts:
"What is your most meaningful community service experience to date? (350 characters)"

"What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)"

If any of you wise AdCom types could offer advice. I answered these questions as part of my most meaningful experiences on my primary app. I am not sure if I should elaborate on them, or if I should use another experience? I worry about redundancy. I was thinking about telling a specific story maybe. Thanks so much!
Not AdCom, only a fellow applicant. I wouldn't use another experience because it won't align with your primary. I would expand on one of the most meaningful experiences you list on your primary with specific examples, as you said. Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys get notification/email saying your application was under review?

I submitted my secondary on 7/15 but apparently my AMCAS is still not verified. How long does it take (on website it says 24-48 hours, but that has long passed now)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a different status after being complete? Submitted mine early July and mine says "Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal." Wondering if it is under review or if it has not started the review yet

Is there a different status after being complete? Submitted mine early July and mine says "Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal." Wondering if it is under review or if it has not started the review yet

Not started review yet. You'll either get an on hold message or an II sometime later. My portal had that message for a couple weeks before I got an update

Not started review yet. You'll either get an on hold message or an II sometime later. My portal had that message for a couple weeks before I got an update
was there another message between this one and the II/re-review one?

Sure! 508 MCAT, 3.71 Overall GPA, 3.62 BPCM. Lizzy 67. Pretty solid extracurriculars.
Damn I'm pretty much the same and got put on hold for re-view.
I had that when I initially submitted my application and then I got "Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from August through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience." about a week later

was there another message between this one and the II/re-review one?

Nope, just checked my portal and saw that I was on hold. People who got IIs did get emails however

just got placed on hold! submitted 7/12. they work fast, dang!
Dang, I submitted the same day, but my status didn't change yet. At this rate, how are they doing anything other than a cursory glance at our applications?

I received the email today that most of you are commenting on. Kinda discouraged as I am highly qualified academically [LM 81]. I have what I consider reasonable number of hrs of research and clinical experience. Would like any insight if there is any?

I received the email today that most of you are commenting on. Kinda discouraged as I am highly qualified academically [LM 81]. I have what I consider reasonable number of hrs of research and clinical experience. Would like any insight if there is any?
Since GW does not have super high matriculation MCAT/GPA, they're probz looking to interview people that are closer to their averages since they know people with LizzyMs of 80+ will more than likely either get into top-tier schools or their state schools(unless you're from DC, then I wouldn't really have a clue). Just my opinion.

Yield protection happens pre and post interview. With that said don't count yourself out yet, lots of people go on hold

so i just submitted my secondary, and the status bar says it has everything necessary to review my application including my LOR; however, my LOR hasnt been submitted to AMCAS yet. Should I call about this or is this just a pre-determined message

Placed on hold for re-review, hopefully not a silent rejection! :unsure:

Can the most meaningful community service be the same as the most meaningful clinical experience?

Can the most meaningful community service be the same as the most meaningful clinical experience?
I suppose it could if you talked about it in different ways but it would probably be better to make them different to show diversity in your experiences

This is my absolute dream school, and now I'm wishing I had submitted earlier! Getting held up since it's so hard to stomach these application fees on an AmeriCorps budget, but will be so worth it (hopefully)! Good luck to everyone! :)

Reactions: 1 users
The vast majority of people are placed on the re-review hold. Most II's come from that list anyway.

I got an II a few days ago, LizzyM 68. Good luck everyone. Crazy how this process is working out. I applied because I'm around GW's median, and after doing research I found out that they actually have some pretty cool health policy opportunities!

Reactions: 2 users
I got an II a few days ago, LizzyM 68. Good luck everyone. Crazy how this process is working out. I applied because I'm around GW's median, and after doing research I found out that they actually have some pretty cool health policy opportunities!
We’re you on hold too

Placed on hold for re-review, hopefully not a silent rejection! :unsure:

Nah. A majority of applicants get placed on hold for re-review. I was placed on hold till October last cycle before getting an II and subsequent acceptance.

Nah. A majority of applicants get placed on hold for re-review. I was placed on hold till October last cycle before getting an II and subsequent acceptance.
Thanks for giving us hope haha

Reactions: 4 users