2018-2019 George Washington University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also 350 characters is like 3 sentences, so I think the general idea of the experience is all you can even include, not a whole story.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone's willing to be a second set of eyes and glance through my secondaries for me, that would be amazing! I'm a non-trad applicant with 3.5 GPA 3.2, sGPA and 507 MCAT (I know, definitely a reach reach school for my stats) so really have to give my all to the essays...
same here! Send them over and I'll give it a look :) I'll have mine done soon too

Hey everyone! Current GW student here, if you have any questions, post here or message me. I applied two cycles ago so a lot of things might have changed, like the new curriculum they have for your class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! Current GW student here, if you have any questions, post here or message me. I applied two cycles ago so a lot of things might have changed, like the new curriculum they have for your class.
Do a lot of students live downtown or on the outskirts of the city?

Hi! Thanks for answering questions. What has been the best and worst thing about going to GW?

Could you highlight any experiences, if applicable, in these areas: global health, crafting policy, bioethics? I grew up abroad and would love to integrate international service in medical school, if possible.

Hi! Thanks for answering questions. What has been the best and worst thing about going to GW?

Could you highlight any experiences, if applicable, in these areas: global health, crafting policy, bioethics? I grew up abroad and would love to integrate international service in medical school, if possible.
Best part: The supportive environment, and how willing faculty are willing to go to bat for you. I feel like our class is extremely happy about being here. Also no mandatory lectures is nice.
Worst part: The building isn't pretty, so it can feel constricting at times. At least we're in DC so theres a lot of places to go to study.

I don't have much experience in the global health track, as I'm more focused on public/community health. The website is more helpful when it comes to learning more about the tracks. There are a lot of students in global health though!

Anyone else get this message on the portal? :( Guess this means I wasn't good enough for an interview but not bad enough for rejection?

Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from August through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience.

Anyone else get this message on the portal? :( Guess this means I wasn't good enough for an interview but not bad enough for rejection?

Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from August through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience.
Just means they probably looked at it already and want to get more eyes on it

Anyone else get this message on the portal?

+1

Reactions: 1 user
IIRC from previous years, all it means is that someone looked at your application and a decision was not yet made immediately. It doesn't mean much, as files are re-reviewed and we're at the very start of the cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
From last year's thread:

Hey all!

I applied last cycle and got in and wanted to give you all some tips on the application portal statuses that often seem confusing.

- On hold for rereview: Pretty much everyone gets this, and it doesn't mean you're in the reject pile. They tend to review their files repeatedly before granting interviews. In this time, I sent a couple of updates to the school.

- "Your file is under review" - Everyone who saw this brief message last cycle after the "on hold" status was granted an interview in the next couple of days. This will change to your interview date on the portal in a couple of days, and after your interview, will change to a "thank you for visiting, decisions will come in 6-8 weeks"

- "Alternate Status" message - This is the waitlist, and it essentially won't change until you are either rejected or accepted.

When I was accepted it changed to "Correspondence has been sent to the address on file" I have heard that the correspondence sent message can also be a rejection, but when you see that status, expect a decision soon.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 4 users
Someone on r/premed got an II today.

Reactions: 4 users
submitting tonight! was going to do it tomorrow but don't wanna risk it.. being that it's friday the 13th and all ;)

Best part: The supportive environment, and how willing faculty are willing to go to bat for you. I feel like our class is extremely happy about being here. Also no mandatory lectures is nice.
Worst part: The building isn't pretty, so it can feel constricting at times. At least we're in DC so theres a lot of places to go to study.

I don't have much experience in the global health track, as I'm more focused on public/community health. The website is more helpful when it comes to learning more about the tracks. There are a lot of students in global health though!

thank you! Would you mind elaborating more on your community health experience? I've worked in primary care clinic and safety-net hospital here in Chicagoland and have found it really meaningful to innovate in a limited setting. Hopefully, would like to continue if I get accepted.

I have that message too. Does anyone know of any rejections given out by GW before that hold message?

thank you! Would you mind elaborating more on your community health experience? I've worked in primary care clinic and safety-net hospital here in Chicagoland and have found it really meaningful to innovate in a limited setting. Hopefully, would like to continue if I get accepted.
I had extensive community leadership experience over several years, but I think the more important thing about your community service is that you convey it well. It seems like you've done great community service so far, and I know people in our class who've done similar projects, so making sure you show this well on your application will be paramount!

I had extensive community leadership experience over several years, but I think the more important thing about your community service is that you convey it well. It seems like you've done great community service so far, and I know people in our class who've done similar projects, so making sure you show this well on your application will be paramount!
What about if you dont have many service hours but you convey it well? My hours are decent for both community and clinical volunteering but not like the 500+ people. But my volunteering directly ties into my future goals and mission

What about if you dont have many service hours but you convey it well? My hours are decent for both community and clinical volunteering but not like the 500+ people. But my volunteering directly ties into my future goals and mission
I'm not sure if I know enough to answer this one, as I don't know too much about how many hours matter. Nonetheless, no matter how many service hours you have, you'll need to convey it well. I would focus less on worrying about how many hours you have at this point and more on how well you can describe those hours.

So does not having a hold status a good thing? I submitted my secondary on the first day and was fully complete.

According to Reddit it more likely than not will turn into a rejection. Sucks for us :(
Did yours say you were under review at any point? Mine never had the hold status and I just checked and all mine says is "Your file is under review".

According to Reddit it more likely than not will turn into a rejection. Sucks for us :(

I really, really do not think this is true, and I'm wondering where that reddit OP got that idea, especially this early in the cycle. See this post from last cycle:

Hey all!

I applied last cycle and got in and wanted to give you all some tips on the application portal statuses that often seem confusing.

- On hold for rereview: Pretty much everyone gets this, and it doesn't mean you're in the reject pile. They tend to review their files repeatedly before granting interviews. In this time, I sent a couple of updates to the school.

- "Your file is under review" - Everyone who saw this brief message last cycle after the "on hold" status was granted an interview in the next couple of days. This will change to your interview date on the portal in a couple of days, and after your interview, will change to a "thank you for visiting, decisions will come in 6-8 weeks"

- "Alternate Status" message - This is the waitlist, and it essentially won't change until you are either rejected or accepted.

When I was accepted it changed to "Correspondence has been sent to the address on file" I have heard that the correspondence sent message can also be a rejection, but when you see that status, expect a decision soon.

Hope this helps!

As their hold notification says, applications are re-reviewed often. It just means you weren't an insta-yes. I've applied before and IIRC plenty of people got IIs later in the cycle after being on hold.

Reactions: 2 users
I really, really do not think this is true, and I'm wondering where that reddit OP got that idea, especially this early in the cycle. See this post from last cycle:

As their hold notification says, applications are re-reviewed often. It just means you weren't an insta-yes. I've applied before and IIRC plenty of people got IIs later in the cycle after being on hold.

The reason they probably said that is becuase when you’re out in the re review pile your chances of getting an II/acceptance goes down since more and more people get added to that pile everyday. The way I’m imagining it, that pile is basically like another queue that you’re stuck in and a bunch more people keep coming into

Just got put on hold for re-review :/ was hoping for some good news

Reactions: 2 users
when did you submit your secondary? I submitted 7/6 and still dont have updates

Submitted on 7/5. I know people who submitted on 7/6 are hearing back today so I would expect to find something shortly

For people who got IIs and on hold, did they email or did you check your status?

For people who got IIs and on hold, did they email or did you check your status?
I'm assuming they only e-mail you if you get an II. I applied here last year and didn't know I was placed on hold until like October when I checked manually haha.

Thanks! Sorry for not being clear - I meant to ask what community health-type experiences you have found most meaningful now at GW.

Thank you!

My application was placed on hold for re-review. Is this basically their nice way of saying no?

My application was placed on hold for re-review. Is this basically their nice way of saying no?
Last year people went to "file in for review" and then an II after being placed on hold. So theres still a chance (but I was put on hold then rejected. They put a LOT of people on hold)

@Goro @hushcom @gonnif
For the George Washington Prompts:
"What is your most meaningful community service experience to date? (350 characters)"

"What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)"

If any of you wise AdCom types could offer advice. I answered these questions as part of my most meaningful experiences on my primary app. I am not sure if I should elaborate on them, or if I should use another experience? I worry about redundancy. I was thinking about telling a specific story maybe. Thanks so much!

@Goro @hushcom @gonnif
For the George Washington Prompts:
"What is your most meaningful community service experience to date? (350 characters)"

"What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)"

If any of you wise AdCom types could offer advice. I answered these questions as part of my most meaningful experiences on my primary app. I am not sure if I should elaborate on them, or if I should use another experience? I worry about redundancy. I was thinking about telling a specific story maybe. Thanks so much!
Suggest elaborating further.