2018-2019 George Washington University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nah. A majority of applicants get placed on hold for re-review. I was placed on hold till October last cycle before getting an II and subsequent acceptance.

Do you have any thoughts on the types of applicants who get put on hold versus who get interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Nah. A majority of applicants get placed on hold for re-review. I was placed on hold till October last cycle before getting an II and subsequent acceptance.

Do you know if students get rejected instead of placed on hold at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
We’re you on hold too
I honestly didn't check if I was on hold because I was too busy writing other secondaries.

We're still early in the process. Anything can happen. Being on hold is not a reason to worry.

Edit: But also assume that you are rejected until you get an acceptance. Have a Plan B!

Reactions: 2 users
Do you know if students get rejected instead of placed on hold at this point?

Most students will be placed on hold (if they don't receive an II outright) and will either be re-reviewed or rejected at later points in the cycle. Students are hardly rejected outright.

Do you have any thoughts on the types of applicants who get put on hold versus who get interviews?

It can vary based on what an applicant can bring to the school and what their stats are. From my experience, the students who get interviews outright may be power scorers or they could have really meaningful experiences that are applicable to the Washington D.C. area. Being placed on hold for re-review could still lead to an interview further down the road (as this is usually the case for a majority of students).

I got an II a few days ago, LizzyM 68. Good luck everyone. Crazy how this process is working out. I applied because I'm around GW's median, and after doing research I found out that they actually have some pretty cool health policy opportunities!
Also talked about health policy and got an II. I think its so unique to the school that they know we arent just plugging the random free clinics and etc that every school has

So I have had the secondary since 7/5, and havent turned it it, but also my primary isn’t verified yet either, am I screwed?

No, it's July
I’m a re-applicant and I’m also on hold. If it makes you feel better, I got an II in the 2016-17 cycle and I submitted my secondary just days before the December deadline. I was waitlisted and eventually rejected. Hope it works out better for both of us this cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
Was on hold last cycle, for the longest time- and then rejected

For the those that got II, were you guys on hold first then II email came later? or no hold, straight to II?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the those that got II, were you guys on hold first then II email came later? or no hold, straight to II?

Thanks.
I believe that the morning that I received my interview my status changed from “your file has been received” to “your file is under review.” But I was never on hold either!

Lol, did they drop my app on the floor somewhere? I was complete on the 12th and got no status change. No hold. No nothin.

Reactions: 1 users
exact same..wondering if i should submit the secondary now or just wait until being verified. i'm just being neurotic lmao
It wouldn’t matter either way since your app won’t be complete until both parts are in

Just submitted my secondary. This school is my literal dream... let the waiting begin LOL

Also put on hold today (7/24), complete on 7/18

My status hasn't changed even though I submitted 7/12 (received 7/05). Should I be worried? My current status reads:

Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal.

Most students will be placed on hold (if they don't receive an II outright) and will either be re-reviewed or rejected at later points in the cycle. Students are hardly rejected outright.
thank you! I was put on hold, and I was so stressed out, because I have been dreaming about going to GW for so long :) (I am local)

Are y'all who are getting updates (hold or II) getting emails saying so? I've been complete since 7/16 and haven't anything.

Lol, did they drop my app on the floor somewhere? I was complete on the 12th and got no status change. No hold. No nothin.

My status hasn't changed even though I submitted 7/12 (received 7/05). Should I be worried? My current status reads:

Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal.

I am in the same boat as you two. I submitted July 12th and no update at all. I can't tell if we were skipped or what because if they reviewed us shouldn't we be on hold?

II received today! I just went under review yesterday, 7/25. I submitted the secondary on 7/9 but my primary wasn't verified until 7/18

No email but I checked my portal and I'm on hold for re review. Welp

II received on July 19!
Completed 7/12 I'm so surprised of the quick turnaround cuz my mcat is just 512, gpa 3.71

Is it too late if I add this school on my AMCAS Primary now?

Is it too late if I add this school on my AMCAS Primary now?
bruh, it's literally the end of july. Interviews go until like next march... it's not even close to being too late for any school lol

Reactions: 6 users
thank you! I was put on hold, and I was so stressed out, because I have been dreaming about going to GW for so long :) (I am local)

It's still relatively early in the cycle so anything is possible! Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!