2018-2019 George Washington University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities, academics, employment or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) for the 2018-2019 application cycle, or from the point of application through matriculation in 2019. (750 characters)
  • What is your most meaningful community service experience to date? (350 characters)
  • What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)
  • What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW? (1000 characters)
  • What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (2000 characters

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone know if they accept more than the 3 LORs they ask for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if this school still super-scores your MCAT?

Anyone know if there’s a subsection screen?
wow...I just found the answer to both of our's questions

"
Average GPA: approximately 3.70. A cumulative GPA of below a 3.0 is considered non-competitive.

Average MCAT: 510. MCAT scores that include a score of 123 or below are considered non-competitive.

We will continue to take the highest of each subsection across MCAT exams."

I think this means...anything below 123 is bad...

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone been able to access the secondary portal? It says on their website (Secondary Application Process | The School of Medicine & Health Sciences) that we should be able to access it, but I don't see a "First Time User" button on the portal to create an account. I know the first step is to pay the secondary fee, but I'm a FAP recipient and it says I'll be able to indicate it on the secondary.

Has anyone been able to access the secondary portal? It says on their website (Secondary Application Process | The School of Medicine & Health Sciences) that we should be able to access it, but I don't see a "First Time User" button on the portal to create an account. I know the first step is to pay the secondary fee, but I'm a FAP recipient and it says I'll be able to indicate it on the secondary.
Did they send you a secondary? I think you have to make an account through that before you enter the portal

Did they send you a secondary? I think you have to make an account through that before you enter the portal
Never mind, I figured it out. I thought I saw something on their site that said they don't send emails but I just saw that they do. The links should be the same though. Maybe they'll add the button soon. My apologies.

Never mind, I figured it out. I thought I saw something on their site that said they don't send emails but I just saw that they do. The links should be the same though. Maybe they'll add the button soon. My apologies.
Please don't hesitate to post the secondary here once you can view it

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received! Honestly confused since I haven't been verified yet but I'm not complaining!

Received without being verified. Same for Tuft.

Reactions: 1 users
Received. Do you guys think they're just doing that for money? Cause my application isn't even verified yet...

Secondary received! Seems like Tufts, GWU, and Columbia will send secondaries out without verification.

Prompts here:
  • Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities, academics, employment or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) for the 2018-2019 application cycle, or from the point of application through matriculation in 2019. (750 characters)
  • What is your most meaningful community service experience to date? (350 characters)
  • What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)
  • What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW? (1000 characters)
  • What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (2000 characters)
There are also questions asking you to confirm that you didn't commit misdemeanors/felonies and that you understand GWU's pre-med reqs.

@Lucca

For this prompt: Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities, academics, employment or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) for the 2018-2019 application cycle, or from the point of application through matriculation in 2019.

Do they want us to detail everything we do on a weekly basis such that we are logging what we do 30-40 hours per week? Would that include stuff like 'attending lectures/ studying'?

For this prompt: Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities, academics, employment or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) for the 2018-2019 application cycle, or from the point of application through matriculation in 2019.

Do they want us to detail everything we do on a weekly basis such that we are logging what we do 30-40 hours per week? Would that include stuff like 'attending lectures/ studying'?
i was thinking of just listing it out, since it states "briefly"

Yes I think it's kind of like the primary work and activities setion where you're just listing all your activities (plus school if your haven't graduated) and the weekly number of hours of each. They just want to know what you will be doing with your time this year while applying

thanks guys! So are you guys listing it out bullet-style or in sentences?

thanks guys! So are you guys listing it out bullet-style or in sentences?
I haven't written it yet but probably depends on space. What's the character/word count?

Edit: just saw the character count. I would say if you can fit everything you need to say in sentence form do it, but it's a pretty tight space so I'll probably use bullets to get everything

Last edited:
These 350 character counts for meaningful experiences are brutal.

Reactions: 6 users
These 350 character counts for meaningful experiences are brutal.
Keep in mind that the character count doesn't include spaces! (as far as I know, you might want to double check)

Anyone on this forum currently attending George Washington? I have some questions I wanted to ask!

Also, secondary received today.

Do you have to pay the app fee before you have access to the application?

Anybody else getting the error message and advice to clear cache upon submitting?

By "most meaningful community service experience" do they want one specific moment/interaction to write about or can it be the general experience of working with a particular community service organization?

By "most meaningful community service experience" do they want one specific moment/interaction to write about or can it be the general experience of working with a particular community service organization?
My interpretation was the latter.

Submitted secondary and completely verified! Goodluck everyone, hopefully we all get good news soon! :highfive:

Are you sure they don't prescreen for secondaries? I submitted my primary 6/2 and am verified but have not received anything from them.

Are you sure they don't prescreen for secondaries? I submitted my primary 6/2 and am verified but have not received anything from them.
yeah they explicitly say they don't-- I've heard other med schools say they get the applications in batches not totally based on when you were verified so I'm sure they just haven't gotten everyone who's been verified yet!

They definitely don't prescreen because I received a secondary without being verified. They might be sending them out in waves but you call them to make sure!

For the most meaningful clinical experience, I was going to write about my experience working in the emergency dept as a registrar? Would this suffice as it states "direct patient contact" or should i use an experience where I took vitals etc? Thanks!

Do y'all think something I observed while shadowing is fine for the meaningful clinical experience? Or do you think that "direct patient contact" implies it should be something I was more involved in?

Do y'all think something I observed while shadowing is fine for the meaningful clinical experience? Or do you think that "direct patient contact" implies it should be something I was more involved in?

For the most meaningful clinical experience, I was going to write about my experience working in the emergency dept as a registrar? Would this suffice as it states "direct patient contact" or should i use an experience where I took vitals etc? Thanks!

If it was meaningful, you should use it, as its still patient contact. I dont think adcoms expect pre-meds to be "directly" involved in patient care.

If it was meaningful, you should use it, as its still patient contact. I dont think adcoms expect pre-meds to be "directly" involved in patient care.

Also 350 characters is like 3 sentences, so I think the general idea of the experience is all you can even include, not a whole story.

If anyone's willing to be a second set of eyes and glance through my secondaries for me, that would be amazing! I'm a non-trad applicant with 3.5 GPA 3.2, sGPA and 507 MCAT (I know, definitely a reach reach school for my stats) so really have to give my all to the essays...

If anyone's willing to be a second set of eyes and glance through my secondaries for me, that would be amazing! I'm a non-trad applicant with 3.5 GPA 3.2, sGPA and 507 MCAT (I know, definitely a reach reach school for my stats) so really have to give my all to the essays...

PM me and I'll take a look! I'm not totally done with my GW essays, but I'd love a set of eyes on mine later on as well :)