2018-2019 Hackensack-Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just saw this. Can you try again? Not sure why I wouldn’t get the message.

It’s not letting me. You may have o change your settings. Or you can PM me

Members don't see this ad.

Any activity - meant to say is the WL moving now? any one received a call from admission for an offer????

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Friend of mine got accepted yesterday, he was wait listed - interviewed early Dec.

And this class matriculates July 8th correct? I cant seem to find this program's school specific Choose Your Medical School policies and deadlines?
Yup. The start date is actually in your acceptance email too. April 30 is the first day to pick CTE and you have until May 20 to pick it. Ideally you’d already have chosen plan to enroll

Great, I appreciate the assist. So that is waaaayyyy in advance of the AMCAS group that recommends not forcing CTE until at least 21 days before matriculation. If playing by the suggested rules they would not make you select CTE until June 14? It doesnt seem like they are observing the national timelines. Why would they want to restrict applicant choice like this?

Last edited:
Great, I appreciate the assist. So that is waaaayyyy in advance of the AMCAS group that recommends not forcing CTE until at least 21 days before matriculation. If playing by the suggested rules they would not make you select CTE until June 14? It doesnt seem like they are observing the national timelines. Why would they want to restrict applicant choice like this?
It’s school specific. This one is probably earlier because classes start a month earlier than the average school. It does suck for those of us that are on WL

Does anyone know how long it takes from when you get accepted to be able to select "Plan to Enroll"
I got accepted a few weeks back and the option isn't showing up on my AMCAS

Do you have to submit your check first to be able to?

Does anyone know how long it takes from when you get accepted to be able to select "Plan to Enroll"
I got accepted a few weeks back and the option isn't showing up on my AMCAS

Do you have to submit your check first to be able to?
Do you mean your deposit? You likely have to submit that first before you're able to see that. You don't have a seat in the class until you pay

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mean your deposit? You likely have to submit that first before you're able to see that. You don't have a seat in the class until you pay

Yeah.
I sent the deposit. I'm just waiting to hear that it was received.

I'm waiting for some info that means I can move forward.

Yeah.
I sent the deposit. I'm just waiting to hear that it was received.

I'm waiting for some info that means I can move forward.
It took a week or so for me to get a response back. Maybe with traffic day coming up, everything's more hectic? You may have luck emailing them

Will be withdrawing my acceptance and I was wondering for those that have withdrawn, when did you receive your deposit back. 100$ is a lot to me right now sadly....

Reactions: 2 users
interviewed 4/2, nothing yet..
If it’s makes you feel any better, several of the people I talked to at second look said they were planning on withdrawing so that should get some WL movement going

Reactions: 3 users
If it’s makes you feel any better, several of the people I talked to at second look said they were planning on withdrawing so that should get some WL movement going
Thank you for this. Do you know what's the yield at this school like? Like how many people usually come off the waitlist?

As someone who has only one WL, this makes me happy

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for this. Do you know what's the yield at this school like? Like how many people usually come off the waitlist?

No idea and last year's data isn't helpful at all. I think only 1-2 people came off last year due to how late the cycle was
As someone who has only one WL, this makes me happy

Good! But don't quote me on anything lol

Just requested for my acceptance to be withdrawn, I hope my spot goes to one of you lovely people!

Reactions: 4 users
Got accepted here today, after months on the waitlist :) There is hope

Whoever went to second look day and is going here I'd love to hear what you thought of the school and connect

Got accepted here today, after months on the waitlist :) There is hope

Whoever went to second look day and is going here I'd love to hear what you thought of the school and connect

Brief Notes to give you an overview of why you'd go here:

Pros:
- New Building (You will get new toys to play with)
- Hackensack/Meridian Hosptial Group has money (They won't let your education flop because of lack of resources... if it flops it's you)
- The newly designed program is made to teach you about medicine better than everyone else (let's hope it works :).
- The school is currently empty, there will be 140 students total at this school (that's a very tiny number) I.E. you want something... you get it
- Research shouldn't be hard to get with this in mind
- Their Mini-Private Match program through their own Hospitals means a guaranteed match... that's a win
- 3+1 Year program means you don't pay for the 4th year... (I mean they're spoon-feeding you financial stability here) (Unless you really want the 4th year)
- They listen to student requests, you have a say in the future of this school (with that being said... make educated suggestions this will be your home and the home of many others for years to come)

Cons:
- By the time you graduate the building will have a lot more people in it around (330ish), so if the school doesn't make more space you might get cramped
-No housing, have fun searching (Especially with Newark nearby)
- IDK if it is accredited yet (Someone fact check me here)
- It is new, so the teaching style is untested, this means you better be on your "A" game if you think things are too easy. Push yourself if you think they aren't

At the end of the day, I'm sure I missed a bunch of pros and cons so feel free to comment on this and add your own.

Also hit me with that like, because I'm shirking of school work to be A Watcher of the Threads.

Anyone Feel free to PM me if you want advice on anything or want to talk about the school... I'm bored and enjoy helping people!

Brief Notes to give you an overview of why you'd go here:

Pros:
- New Building (You will get new toys to play with)
- Hackensack/Meridian Hosptial Group has money (They won't let your education flop because of lack of resources... if it flops it's you)
- The newly designed program is made to teach you about medicine better than everyone else (let's hope it works :).
- The school is currently empty, there will be 140 students total at this school (that's a very tiny number) I.E. you want something... you get it
- Research shouldn't be hard to get with this in mind
- Their Mini-Private Match program through their own Hospitals means a guaranteed match... that's a win
- 3+1 Year program means you don't pay for the 4th year... (I mean they're spoon-feeding you financial stability here) (Unless you really want the 4th year)
- They listen to student requests, you have a say in the future of this school (with that being said... make educated suggestions this will be your home and the home of many others for years to come)

Cons:
- By the time you graduate the building will have a lot more people in it around (330ish), so if the school doesn't make more space you might get cramped
-No housing, have fun searching (Especially with Newark nearby)
- IDK if it is accredited yet (Someone fact check me here)
- It is new, so the teaching style is untested, this means you better be on your "A" game if you think things are too easy. Push yourself if you think they aren't

At the end of the day, I'm sure I missed a bunch of pros and cons so feel free to comment on this and add your own.

Also hit me with that like, because I'm shirking of school work to be A Watcher of the Threads.

Anyone Feel free to PM me if you want advice on anything or want to talk about the school... I'm bored and enjoy helping people!
Just a few minor points:

- there’s apparently a lot of students there (above 140) since students from multiple health fields are there. Current students said it isn’t a big issue unless exam periods overlap

- the internal match is only a gaurentee if you’re going into primary care specialties. They say they have ~500 spots but most of them are not in fields like surgical subspecialites. I also think that number includes fellowships. If you’re interested in something competitive, chances are you’ll be competing with your classmates for the limited spots (assuming they even have that program). Probably still better odds though

- 3+1 does mean you don’t have to do the 4th year and save money etc, but many in the current class are doing all 4 yrs due to the limited specialties available in internal match

You’re forgetting some of the other major cons

- super high tuition and COA in a high COL area
- mandatory classes everyday from 8am
- not all classes are recorded

Just a few minor points:

- there’s apparently a lot of students there (above 140) since students from multiple health fields are there. Current students said it isn’t a big issue unless exam periods overlap

- the internal match is only a gaurentee if you’re going into primary care specialties. They say they have ~500 spots but most of them are not in fields like surgical subspecialites. I also think that number includes fellowships. If you’re interested in something competitive, chances are you’ll be competing with your classmates for the limited spots (assuming they even have that program). Probably still better odds though

- 3+1 does mean you don’t have to do the 4th year and save money etc, but many in the current class are doing all 4 yrs due to the limited specialties available in internal match

You’re forgetting some of the other major cons

- super high tuition and COA in a high COL area
- mandatory classes everyday from 8am
- not all classes are recorded

Dr. Simonian actually said the complete opposite about primary care specialties.

You would much rather be competing against the single other person in your class going derm than entering the match for derm (which you have the option to do anyway if you do not place)

You would much rather be competing against the single other person in your class going derm than entering the match for derm (which you have the option to do anyway if you do not place)
They said going into derm or ortho or another competitive specialty may be difficult/ not likely in the 3 year time frame anyway since PDs want to see research and other commitments to the field. Do you know how doing the internal match is gonna work for people who decide to move their research year to before clinicals? Do they still have the option to do the internal match? Otherwise, it looks like you have to go in knowing whether you're gonna be doing a 3 yr or 4 yr path since waiting to do a research year until the end is not very helpful

They said going into derm or ortho or another competitive specialty may be difficult/ not likely in the 3 year time frame anyway since PDs want to see research and other commitments to the field. Do you know how doing the internal match is gonna work for people who decide to move their research year to before clinicals? Do they still have the option to do the internal match? Otherwise, it looks like you have to go in knowing whether you're gonna be doing a 3 yr or 4 yr path since waiting to do a research year until the end is not very helpful

Competitive students at every school in the United States are expected to walk and chew gum at the same time. If you want those spots in the match (nsg derm), you will need to be publishing and excelling while in school. If you are going to take a research year, it would be at the end just like at any other school. That being said, you do have nine months free before ERAS submission.

All the programs at the school will have a spot reserved except probably the programs that literally only have 1 spot.

I don't see a good reason why you would move a research year before clinicals. But if you did it would probably work like you just took a leave of absence.

I wrote this out for someone, but if one person has this question odd are 20 people have the same question. So because it is April 30th I'm posting this here:

Heres the timeline of planning/committing to enroll to the best of my knowledge
PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG

- You can first "plan to enroll" by February 19th
(this is you saying where you would like to go [top choice so far] out of all of your acceptances)
(also, you can still be on waitlists with this option and this choice does nothing to limit you)

- After April 15th you should limit yourself to 3 Medical schools you'd like to attend and withdraw from the others
(This is not obligatory and is done out of respect for other applicants)
(this only applies if you've gotten more than 3 acceptances)

- Next April 30th comes along and you can now "commit to enroll" but you don't have to!!! - This totally locks you into a school
(AAMC general guidelines say "You only have to fully "commit to enroll" 21 days before the first day of classes at your school" )

(SETON HALL's Specific Policy SAYS, "you have to "Commit to Enroll" by May 20th")

So, by May 20th you have to 100% commit to Seton Hall by selecting Commit to Enroll on the AAMC website if you want to go here

There is confusion with "Commit to Enroll" because AAMC put down a general guideline for medical schools and students, but medical schools have made their own specific variations to it and now we are all responsible to know each schools specific policy, or we may unintentionally fail to apply to a school

--- For Seton Hall and many other schools, they require you to "plan to enroll" by the 30th or you lose your seat at the school
This is a means to more or less force you to commit to one school so they can move their waitlist

People are confused with "Planning to Enrol" now the AAMC put this "Plan to Enroll" in place to make regulating your number of acceptances a system based on honor and respect, but because medical schools get the info on April 30th, they are using it as a means to withdraw your application if you don't "plan to enroll". Once again, helps them move their waitlist along and is specific to each medical school.

So if Seton Hall is your top choice of your acceptances and you still have other waitlists you're waiting on, then plan to enroll here by today.

(The other important thing to note about this date is that you should have limited your choice to one medical school and withdrawn from all others, once again AAMC says this is not obligatory but Medical Schools are using the plan to enroll option to make it obligatory)
(So if you followed AAMC's Master plan the only other medical school you could potentially go to is one that might accept you off of their waitlist... so this means after April 30th, if you're not on any waitlists and you've now narrowed your choice down to one school [because you did out of respect for other applicants] you have no reason not to commit to enroll.
(Also the info of where you plan to commit and commit to enroll is given to medical schools on April 30th so they can gauge how many people to invite off their waitlist)

So just to reiterate, after April 30th, you have the option to fully lock yourself into one school... but you don't have to until 21 days before the first day of classes for the med school of your choice.
Also, you don't have to limit your application choice by withdrawing from any schools at all, you could hold on until the day of classes but you're just being a jerk to other applicants and admissions committees then.

---------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------

Reasons you would commit to enroll after April 30th
- You have no other acceptances and are on no other waitlists (you have one option and that's your plan)
- You have other acceptances that don't require you to "plan to enroll" by April 30th but are certain that you want to go to the top choice you've selected
- You are on a waitlist but prefer the school you've gotten accepted to

Reasons you wouldn't commit to enroll right now:
- You applied to a school like NYU Long Island and are still waiting for their preliminary acceptances
- You are on a waitlist that trumps your current school and would prefer to go there
- You are indecisive and can't decide which acceptance you like the most... (this is a big choice ;))
- You have other acceptances that don't require you to "plan to enroll" by April 30th and you are a d*ck and like blocking people from getting off the waitlist

"It's getting pretty confusing trying to explain why this is so confusing" ~Me, right now

Last edited:
Competitive students at every school in the United States are expected to walk and chew gum at the same time. If you want those spots in the match (nsg derm), you will need to be publishing and excelling while in school. If you are going to take a research year, it would be at the end just like at any other school. That being said, you do have nine months free before ERAS submission.

All the programs at the school will have a spot reserved except probably the programs that literally only have 1 spot.

I don't see a good reason why you would move a research year before clinicals. But if you did it would probably work like you just took a leave of absence.

The deans and the lady in charge of curriculum development said that if you were going to take the research year option, you should do it before clinical started. The students at second look said that some of their classmates were planning on doing that too so I assumed that was how it’s done.

How are you getting 9 months? If your 3rd year ends in May and eras is due by September and match day is in March, that’s not a whole lot of time to do anything research wise unless the plan is to take a whole year off so you can start residency a whole year after you graduate 4th yr. This also doesn’t take into account things like away rotations

The deans and the lady in charge of curriculum development said that if you were going to take the research year option, you should do it before clinical started. The students at second look said that some of their classmates were planning on doing that too so I assumed that was how it’s done.

How are you getting 9 months? If your 3rd year ends in May and eras is due by September and match day is in March, that’s not a whole lot of time to do anything research wise unless the plan is to take a whole year off so you can start residency a whole year after you graduate 4th yr. This also doesn’t take into account things like away rotations

The last clerkship ends in January. That is 9 months before ERAS. You can do whatever you need to until then.

Away rotations are going to be a given. Again, competitive applicants need to walk and chew gum. You should be producing at all times if you want a derm match.

As far as the research year is concerned, I have no idea. I wasn't aware that anyone was seriously considering going this route and I doubt anyone will. If you are applying derm then you might need a year. But I don't see why you would need a research year to apply to a intranetwork three year program.

No trying to be a Stan, but the stuff being brought up is simply a reality at all MD programs. The difference here is that you get a free shot at a derm residency

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The last clerkship ends in January. That is 9 months before ERAS. You can do whatever you need to until then.

Away rotations are going to be a given. Again, competitive applicants need to walk and chew gum. You should be producing at all times if you want a derm match.

As far as the research year is concerned, I have no idea. I wasn't aware that anyone was seriously considering going this route and I doubt anyone will. If you are applying derm then you might need a year. But I don't see why you would need a research year to apply to a intranetwork three year program.

No trying to be a Stan, but the stuff being brought up is simply a reality at all MD programs. The difference here is that you get a free shot at a derm residency
But after the last clerkship, you're taking step 1 and step 2 aren't you? Doesn't that kill a few months? Unless you want to limit the amount of study time, don't you really just have the summer +/- a month?

Any idea if away rotations are needed if you're still doing the internal match? Does that make you more competitive

The students on second look day said there was someone who was doing the research year now and will join our class, but there were also others who were planning on doing it before clinical year. From my understanding, if you take the research year, you give up the early entry to residency. Not entirely sure if that's accurate but the deans kinda skirted the question

But after the last clerkship, you're taking step 1 and step 2 aren't you? Doesn't that kill a few months? Unless you want to limit the amount of study time, don't you really just have the summer +/- a month?

Any idea if away rotations are needed if you're still doing the internal match? Does that make you more competitive

The students on second look day said there was someone who was doing the research year now and will join our class, but there were also others who were planning on doing it before clinical year. From my understanding, if you take the research year, you give up the early entry to residency. Not entirely sure if that's accurate but the deans kinda skirted the question

Those students misreported that to you. I don't want to talk about personal matters but the people doing research years have different circumstances. I doubt the people at the second look knew too much about them, they probably shouldn't have made such a definitive statement to you.

Away rotations will not improve your chances at the internal match, you will have been placed in your program long before then.

Hopefully it doesn't take you 6 months until summer to take step 1.

Last edited:
Those students misreported that to you. I don't want to talk about personal matters but the people doing research years have different circumstances. I doubt the people at the second look knew too much about them, they probably shouldn't have made such a definitive statement to you.

Away rotations will not improve your chances at the internal match, you will have been placed in your program long before then.

Hopefully it doesn't take you 6 months until summer to take step 1.
That's unfortunate.

So it sounds like it's just clinical grades, shelf scores, and likability that are gonna count

I hope so too haha, but it looks like you take both step 1 and step 2 in the same 6 month time frame

Accepted today Very excited to start here in the summer!

Reactions: 5 users
I interviewed 4/02 and heard nothing before today

Has anyone emailed them to decline their acceptance and heard back? I emailed them on April 30th but they didn't respond to my email.