2018-2019 Hackensack-Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any luck on submitting? I've tried like 10 times but still get the 'responses exceed the limit' message. How long is everybody's responses? I'm wondering if the word/character limit is screwed up again and those that were able to submit were lucky that they were under that

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The way I took it, it's asking you what you learned from your experiences (whatever they are) that will help you become a great doctor

Aw man! I feel like it is saying "describe how your medical or related field experiences will help you do well in medical school (rather than being a doctor)".

I think I was just lazy and hoping I can copy/paste the other adversity essay I wrote for other schools. But now I think I'm gonna make this a medical experience focused essay.

Any luck on submitting? I've tried like 10 times but still get the 'responses exceed the limit' message. How long is everybody's responses? I'm wondering if the word/character limit is screwed up again and those that were able to submit were lucky that they were under that
I was able to submit successfully.

Aw man! I feel like it is saying "describe how your medical or related field experiences will help you do well in medical school (rather than being a doctor)".

I think I was just lazy and hoping I can copy/paste the other adversity essay I wrote for other schools. But now I think I'm gonna make this a medical experience focused essay.
I don't think you should overthink it too much, I just used my adversity essay as well and included a blurb on my clinical experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
13. Describe your experience with the field of medicine (or a related field) that has prepared you for advanced study in this area. Specifically, how have your life experiences prepared you to pursue a degree in medicine, including coursework experiences, clinical work, experiences in overcoming adversity, work experiences, volunteer activities, and/or research experiences?

So I understand it must be a science/medicine adversity experience and not a real early life adversity essay, is that correct? I don't know if I'm supposed to explain my coursework and medical activities (I already did that in the primary with my experiences section) or can I discuss the major adversity in my life that I used in other secondaries.

So this is basically an adversity question only for medical experiences?

I'm basically gonna take my clinical experiences, throw in some academics and other activities, and call it a day. I really don't think they are looking strictly for an adversity essay here. If they were, they would have said so. They seem to want, through this question, a very holistic look at those things that make you ready to be in med school. If for you, it is overcoming an adversity, then go for it. But, it doesn't have to be just that. The "and" means you can talk about all of those things if you want. The "or" means you can talk about just one if you want.

I was able to submit successfully.

I don't think you should overthink it too much, I just used my adversity essay as well and included a blurb on my clinical experiences.
What were the word counts for your essays?

Which browser and word processor did you use?
I used Chrome and copied straight from Microsoft word. Are you sure you answered all the questions, including the ones that require "N/A" ? Try to clear your cache/cookies too, idk

Ok people just so you all know there’s a 4000 character limit to all these boxes so double check on that too

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted yesterday no problems. Used the new link that was emailed. Seemed to have gone through, said 'submitted' or something like that. Have not received an email confirmation yet, expect that in next few days.

My longest is 3,192 and I still can't submit. So frustrating.....
They also said that if you had to answer either the reapplicant/felony questions it could be what’s causing the problem

Submitted yesterday no problems. Used the new link that was emailed. Seemed to have gone through, said 'submitted' or something like that. Have not received an email confirmation yet, expect that in next few days.
Which browser/ word processor combo did you use?

Finally tried submitting myself. No issues at all.

One essay was right at 499 words

What is the target area that HMSOM is trying to serve? The Tri-State area? Or just North New Jersey?

HMSOM's goal is the entire state, actually. The Hackensack Meridian network has like 17 hospitals throughout NJ, and cares for about a third of the population I think. It's not the tri-state area, but North Jersey seems like too small a net to be casting, especially since Jersey Shore Medical Center is the second biggest hospital in the network.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got a “secondary received” email. In the email it says:

“If you haven't already done so, please be sure to submit your prerequisites and photo through the applicant gateway as well.”

I’m confused bc I thought they scrapped the applicant gateway since it had submission problems?

Just got a “secondary received” email. In the email it says:

“If you haven't already done so, please be sure to submit your prerequisites and photo through the applicant gateway as well.”

I’m confused bc I thought they scrapped the applicant gateway since it had submission problems?

It's just a glitch I guess. Obviously they got rid of the applicant gateway.

Which browser/ word processor combo did you use?

I had the reapplicant essay, which is what seemed to cause the issue. Admissions let me take that essay out, submit the application, and email in the response to that particular essay. I had no trouble once I took that essay out. If others are having similar issues, it may be worth contacting them to make similar arrangements. Good luck everyone!

I'm kind of in a dilemna... I have a lot of clinical experience (scribe for 3 years) but that was nearly 3 years ago, so I didn't get a letter from the docs because I had other ones that were stronger. I do have a letter that talks about a project surrounding clinical volunteering but the person who wrote the letter has a PhD. Should I hold off on submitting the secondary until I can get a letter from a physician?

It's just a glitch I guess. Obviously they got rid of the applicant gateway.

i think this is still valid, the secondary was originally scrapped due to the word count issue...these are separate parts.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm kind of in a dilemna... I have a lot of clinical experience (scribe for 3 years) but that was nearly 3 years ago, so I didn't get a letter from the docs because I had other ones that were stronger. I do have a letter that talks about a project surrounding clinical volunteering but the person who wrote the letter has a PhD. Should I hold off on submitting the secondary until I can get a letter from a physician?

It's not required to have a letter from a physician. There are many options.

Also, I just checked the letter requirements again in answer to this question. They changed it! It doesn't say that a committee letter covers 2 of the above anymore. Now, it says that the committee letter must contain all of that stuff!:

1. At least one from a health care professional (does not need to be a physician - can be a nurse, social worker, physician’s assistant, occupational therapist, psychologist, etc.).

2. At least one from an academic professor who is familiar with the applicant’s scholarly work.

3. At least one from these or another appropriate source: a physician, a second academic professor, a supervisor who can speak to the applicant’s attributes, a related health care professional who held a supervisory position to the applicant, or service recommendation letter from a mentor.
  • A letter packet from a pre-medical committee can be accepted if it contains the required letters listed above.
I'm glad that I have all of that (I think) but I don't know why they changed it after we already applied...

i think this is still valid, the secondary was originally scrapped due to the word count issue...these are separate parts.

Yes, but I think it is probably just a form letter. They expressly told us in that email not to submit via the gateway link. If they wanted that, they would have said something I think.

Maybe one of you have already submitted and received the email should contact admissions about this latest mixup lol

I had the reapplicant essay, which is what seemed to cause the issue. Admissions let me take that essay out, submit the application, and email in the response to that particular essay. I had no trouble once I took that essay out. If others are having similar issues, it may be worth contacting them to make similar arrangements. Good luck everyone!
I did the same and it worked!

How did you guys fit the name of the school on the check? I can't fit "Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University" on the check payee line. This is making me real anxious. What did you guys do about this?

So are you all keeping the secondaries under 500 words or 4000 characters?

How did you guys fit the name of the school on the check? I can't fit "Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University" on the check payee line. This is making me real anxious. What did you guys do about this?

I didn't do it yet, but that's what it asks for. Just write really tiny. I think they'll make do.

Just confirmed that we do still need to do prerequisites and photo through the applicant gateway

Just confirmed that we do still need to do prerequisites and photo through the applicant gateway
Wait so we upload the photo and do th prereqs through the gateway link but not do the essays for it and upload our essays through the link sent later?
This is some kind of **** to deal with SMH

Okay, well I hope I don't have too many problems with the password stuff that a lot of you went through. I never even logged in because I didn't see the emails until they sent the correction.

Let us know what's up with this thing!

Lmao this is a mess. How would people even know to submit the photo and prereqs on the gateway if they were not on SDN and checked here? I had no clue, all I did was submit the secondary through the Microsoft forms sheet they sent.

Lmao this is a mess. How would people even know to submit the photo and prereqs on the gateway if they were not on SDN and checked here? I had no clue, all I did was submit the secondary through the Microsoft forms sheet they sent.

It says in the email when they confirm your secondary and fee....that app is in preliminary review, don’t forget to fill out prereqs/photo in the gateway app if you haven’t already, and another email will be sent when your app is moved to the next step of the process..

...and if anything is missing, they will email you.

It says in the email when they confirm your secondary and fee....that app is in preliminary review, don’t forget to fill out prereqs/photo in the gateway app if you haven’t already, and another email will be sent when your app is moved to the next step of the process..

...and if anything is missing, they will email you.
Ok thanks. I have yet to receive the confirmation e-mail so I didn't know, sent the check 4 days ago.

I'm trying to write the why seton hall essay. Did anyone find any specific things we can do during the 4th year? The website is giving broad examples and I'm trying to be as specific as possible. Appreciate the help!

@ anyone who's having trouble submitting even though their essays are under 500 - I did what other people said on here and took out my institutional action essay and it worked! I'm going to email them what I had written for the IA.

So let me get this straight. We submit our secondary via the second link.

Then we go to first link and upload our picture/match prereqs?

The secondary link portal is still open on the first link though.

So let me get this straight. We submit our secondary via the second link.

Then we go to first link and upload our picture/match prereqs?

The secondary link portal is still open on the first link though.
I can't even log onto the first link... so...

Can someone tell me what's the deal with the secondaries? I logged onto to the portal and only see the option to upload documents and assign my coursework. Am I looking at the right thing?

Can someone tell me what's the deal with the secondaries? I logged onto to the portal and only see the option to upload documents and assign my coursework. Am I looking at the right thing?
So one of the uploads should specify a photo upload. Do that. Then assign your coursework for the prerequisites